The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Decent roadfood on I 90 West

lamertz

• Total Posts: 290
Decent roadfood on I 90 West Fri, 08/22/03 9:41 AM (permalink)
Going Chicago to Seattle in September
We've made this trip a few times and always look
for new places to eat. Prefer healthy type foods
which are not always easy to find on the road.
Not totally veggy either.

hucknbock

• Total Posts: 26
    RE: Decent roadfood on I 90 West Fri, 09/5/03 1:13 PM (permalink)
    I just made the trip last month, so have got a few suggestions. Not much healthy, I'm afraid. (Two kids with cravings for bacon cheeseburgers.) At least they are local places, not the chain of chains you find at every interchange east of the Mississippi.

Chamberlain, South Dakota. Casey's Drug Store and Cafe. Right off the highway. Pretty standard cafe fare, with good portions, good potatoes, so-so salad bar. They advertise the "perfect cheeseburger," though their authority is a 1976 article by a New York writer just passing through town.

Livingston, Montana. Clark's Crossing (westernmost I-90 exit) Buffalo Burgers (healthy, low-fat), waffle fries, and very good clam chowder, for some reason. Giant needlepoint map on the wall depicting Lewis and Clark's travels.

Molly's Restaurant in downtown Spokane, WA. Their motto is "you'll never leave hungry." I had a chef's slad that was quite good, very large, and even had lettuce beside iceburg in it.

If you get the chance to get off the highway in Missoula, there are several good places, most of which are hippie hold-overs. In fact, there is a store called the "Good Food Store" which started out as a hole-in-the-wall place in the 60's, and now occupies an entire shopping center. I believe it has an eat-in cafe, but if not you can stock up with enough fresh, organic food to last the rest of the trip. Take the Russell Street exit, go south to Third Street South, turn right, it's on the corner.

I may think of some more places later. When exactly are you leaving?

lamertz

• Total Posts: 290
      RE: Decent roadfood on I 90 West Mon, 09/8/03 2:38 AM (permalink)
      Arrived in Seattle on 9/5.I guess you have to be fairly liberal
      with the idea of healthy eating on the road. Especially when it comes to "Beef,it's what's for dinner" all over the west. Not to say I didn't enjoy my first Butter Burger In Rapid City or a superb Italian meal at Luigi"s in Spokane.Wa.
      Did I mention the visit to the Spam capital of the world in
      Minnesota? Had a great trip out on the northern route--will return on the southern route and will be asking for advice. Thanks.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com