The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Deep Fried Hot Dogs

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 44
ddog27

• Total Posts: 25
Deep Fried Hot Dogs Mon, 04/27/09 1:18 PM (permalink)

Watching travel channel last night and saw the show where they get deep fried hot dogs. I have never had a deep fired hot dog. For those of you who have had one how does it compare to grilled or boiled hot dogs?

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
    Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Mon, 04/27/09 1:23 PM (permalink)
    I've eaten many Polish sausages this way ("Maxwell Street style") but never a hot dog, and would think that it would have to be pretty sturdy to stand up to the deep fryer - an Oscar Mayer wiener might not do too well.  I like the crispy skin and it doesn't seem like it absorbs excessive amounts of oil.  Do you remember what kind(s) of dogs were being fried?

Personally, if someone's going to offer me a fried hot dog I'd prefer it wrapped in a cornmeal breading or batter.

Brad

FoodLuva

• Total Posts: 25
      Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Mon, 04/27/09 2:13 PM (permalink)
      wouldnt it be like a corn dog

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
        Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Mon, 04/27/09 3:46 PM (permalink)
        I think it's called a "ripper".   ??  yes?

WarToad

Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Mon, 04/27/09 3:48 PM (permalink)
          There used to be a thread where someone did a Phd thesis on regional hotdog styles and the bazillion ways they're doctored up.  We need to raise that thread from the dead, I think it has your answer in there.

Edit:
          OK, memory is a fragile thing.  BuddyRoadHouse had a link with the breakdown in it.

the thread:
          http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Regional-Dogs-Mapped-and-Catalogued-m417821.aspx

and the link:
          http://www.seriouseats.com/2008/07/america-regional-hot-dog-styles-coneys-half-smokes-reds-whites.html

In New Jersy they do call a deep fried hotdog a "ripper."
          <message edited by WarToad on Mon, 04/27/09 3:55 PM>

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Mon, 04/27/09 4:30 PM (permalink)
            Rutt's Hut

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=1362&RefID=1362

You can get them 3 ways

"In and Outer"  just a quick dip in the hot oil

"Ripper" where the hot dog skin bursts open

"cremator" A VERY well done hot dog

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
              Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Mon, 04/27/09 6:26 PM (permalink)
              Hello all ,

Rutts Hutt was on a few of our past Jersey Hot Dog Tours and one of my personal favorites . You either love them or hate them . Our next tour is on Sat. Sept 26th , do not know yet if Rutts will make the final cut . Go to meet and greet forums if you are interested in joining us for the 6th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour .

The relish is also my favorite , a secret as far as ingredients are concerned .
              There are a few other threads on here about the rippers and rutts and other s that serve similar . Check them out also

Benzee

smokestack lightning

• Total Posts: 301
                Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Mon, 04/27/09 11:58 PM (permalink)
                In Savannah at Tanners on Broughton  which has been there for maybe 40 years, they serve southern style hot dogs which many patrons ask to be deep fried. A Chicagoan  bought the place a few years ago and now has another line of Vienna beef hot dogs and Italian beefs. Both styles within about a ten feet area and two distict customer bases. Quite interesting.

DLnWPBrown

• Total Posts: 832
                  Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Tue, 04/28/09 12:16 AM (permalink)
                  I grew up eating hot dogs and grandma used to take the southern red dyed hot dogs and put them in a frying pan with hot bacon grease and cook them until they were crisp on the outside but not burnt. GOD they were good with her homemade chili and lots of mustard and onions.

Dennis in Cary

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9527
                    Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Tue, 04/28/09 2:15 AM (permalink)
                    DLnWPBrown

I grew up eating hot dogs and grandma used to take the southern red dyed hot dogs and put them in a frying pan with hot bacon grease and cook them until they were crisp on the outside but not burnt. GOD they were good with her homemade chili and lots of mustard and onions.
                    Dennis in Cary

Did they pop open to expose the meat inside??

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                      Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Tue, 04/28/09 12:15 PM (permalink)
                      LONG ago--like 1970-1--i was cooking at an all night place in Bloomington Ind that catered to students at IU--they did their dogs in the deep fryer--but first they would put a bunch of slices--say 3/4 of was through the dog--the short way---perpendicular to the dogs length----when the dogs hit the oil the slices would cause them curl into a perfect circle and then they were served on burger buns--they were pretty good hot dogs too!

DLnWPBrown

Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Tue, 04/28/09 1:09 PM (permalink)
                        Foodbme

DLnWPBrown

Dennis in Cary

Did they pop open to expose the meat inside??

Yes they did and were oh so good. This grandmother is also the one who got me started eating fried bologna and fried egg sandwiches... another favorite of mine.

Dennis in Cary 

DLnWPBrown

Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Tue, 04/28/09 2:32 PM (permalink)
                          Well I went downstairs and fired the stove up. I took 3 Ball Park beef franks and placed them in a frying pan with some badon grease and cooked them until nicely fried. I then toasted a couple of slices of sandwich bread, placed the dogs on it, topped it wht mustard, chopped onion, and homemade chili. I cranked up my insulin pump and washed it all down with a Pepsi Throwback. I need a nap now.... wonder what I will have for dinner since my wife will be out with the girls tonight? I almost here Chinese take-out calling me later.

Dennis in Cary in a near hot dog coma

big g in joisey

• Total Posts: 214
                            Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Thu, 04/30/09 10:19 AM (permalink)
                            Rutt's Hutt & Hirams both serve Thumanns great tasting deep fried hotdogs,Rutt's serves a 10 to a pound,while Hirams serves a larger 6 to a pound hotdog. Never had a Thumanns dog prepared on a flat grill. The Hot Grill and Papaya King in Clifton,nj, both serve Sabrett's, the Hot Grill deep fries their dogs,while at PK they cook theirs on a flat grill / griddle, I prefer the Papaya King method for cooking Sabrett's.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                              Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Thu, 04/30/09 10:30 AM (permalink)
                              Dennis, your preparation and results sound great! I now take Hebrew Nationals(6/1-I think) and fry them in a pan with some bacon grease as well-then I split them open just prior to eating, add cheese in the crevice and broil off...great on toast with just about any topping!

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
                                Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Thu, 04/30/09 1:48 PM (permalink)
                                big g in joisey

Rutt's Hutt & Hirams both serve Thumanns great tasting deep fried hotdogs,Rutt's serves a 10 to a pound,while Hirams serves a larger 6 to a pound hotdog. Never had a Thumanns dog prepared on a flat grill. The Hot Grill and Papaya King in Clifton,nj, both serve Sabrett's, the Hot Grill deep fries their dogs,while at PK they cook theirs on a flat grill / griddle, I prefer the Papaya King method for cooking Sabrett's.

Rutt's serves an 8 while Hiram's dog is a 7. While the Hot Grill and Papaya King both use Sabrett's, Papaya King is an all beef dog. Hot Grill's is beef/pork.

DLnWPBrown

Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Thu, 04/30/09 1:55 PM (permalink)
                                  annpeeples

Dennis, your preparation and results sound great! I now take Hebrew Nationals(6/1-I think) and fry them in a pan with some bacon grease as well-then I split them open just prior to eating, add cheese in the crevice and broil off...great on toast with just about any topping!

Ann, I love doing that as well but don't do it very often because I can't wait to consume them. Unlike most people I like the old pork/beef hot dogs the best. I do like beef dogs but I guess it's what you grow up with.

Dennis in Cary 
                                  <message edited by DLnWPBrown on Thu, 04/30/09 2:29 PM>

WarToad

Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Thu, 04/30/09 2:26 PM (permalink)
                                    Same here Dennis.  Grew up with pork/beef dogs and thats where my favor lies.  I don't mind an all beef dog, but it's not my first choice.

DLnWPBrown

Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Thu, 04/30/09 5:04 PM (permalink)
                                      I am on a hot dog kick as I went to Circus and had 3 dogs for lunch. Hot dogs have overtaken BBQ as my food weakness the last few months..... but I plan to eat me some Q on Saturday at Lexington # 1.

Dennis in Cary

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                                        Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Thu, 04/30/09 6:17 PM (permalink)
                                        Thuman's griddle dog is available at ShopRite..just saw them today..with a natural casing.  5 lb.cryovac packaged.

Thumans makes a wonderful product.  but, they are very bland..almost like a fine high quality all meat (not beef) bologna taste.  But, when you put on a variety of toppings and a really good mustard...It's great.

Yes, a NJ deep fried dog is an acquired taste.  I love them and thanks Big G for mentioning my favorite..Hiram's in Ft. Lee. 

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
                                          Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Thu, 04/30/09 6:34 PM (permalink)
                                          I've said it before and, I'll say it again. IMHO, I am not a fan of deep fried hot dogs.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
                                            Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Thu, 04/30/09 6:38 PM (permalink)
                                            Baah Ben

Thuman's griddle dog is available at ShopRite..just saw them today..with a natural casing.  5 lb.cryovac packaged.

Thumans makes a wonderful product.  but, they are very bland..almost like a fine high quality all meat (not beef) bologna taste.  But, when you put on a variety of toppings and a really good mustard...It's great.

Yes, a NJ deep fried dog is an acquired taste.  I love them and thanks Big G for mentioning my favorite..Hiram's in Ft. Lee. 

Ben, I've praised Thumann's (natural casing) dogs before. I love them and buy them often here in Dallas. I like their garlicky snap and, the fact that they are not too salty as say, Sabrett's are. I've likened their texture to a good quality German veal sausage.

exsquidao

• Total Posts: 409
                                              Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Thu, 04/30/09 8:13 PM (permalink)
                                              You people ever hear of a HUMMELS dog?  :)
                                              <message edited by exsquidao on Thu, 04/30/09 8:16 PM>

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                                                Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Thu, 04/30/09 9:04 PM (permalink)
                                                Twin - I agree with your description..Better than mine...

Hummel's..Is that from Milwaukee?

DLnWPBrown

Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Thu, 04/30/09 9:17 PM (permalink)
                                                  Twinwillow

Baah Ben

Ben, I've praised Thumann's (natural casing) dogs before. I love them and buy them often here in Dallas. I like their garlicky snap and, the fact that they are not too salty as say, Sabrett's are. I've likened their texture to a good quality German veal sausage.

Twin I feel that way about the Nathan's I have bought in the past at the market. They seem to salty and I felt a little too much garlic for my liking. I personally prefer Jesse Jones or Brightleaf red dogs.

Dennis in Cary 

John Fox

Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Thu, 04/30/09 9:30 PM (permalink)
                                                    Hummel's are from Connecticut. I've had them before, both in Connecticut and one place here in N.J. that sells them. They are a beef and pork blend, but fairly high in spice for the type. They have a nice tangy flavor. Good dog.

Twinwillow, 

Thumann's makes 3 recipes. An all beef dog, which has some garlic. A griller and one that is specially made for deep frying. The last 2 have no garlic. The deep fryer is milder than the griller. Some would say bland. I've enjoyed this dog with just mustard, but it is one of the few I get with condiments other than mustard. The delicious relish at Rutt's Hut and the spicy chili at Hiram's.

The Thumann's griller is my favorite beef and pork dog. Much more flavor than their deep fryer. It is made from whole cuts of quality beef and pork. I've been to their factory for a tour and it is a top notch operation. The pork used comes right off of their hams. Their other meats (especially their roast beef) are second to none. Better than Boars Head in my opinion.

big g in joisey

Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Sat, 05/2/09 12:02 PM (permalink)
                                                      Hi John, according to Pete & Jeff both owners of Hirams they serve a 6 to a pound Thumanns, while still one of my favorites Rutt's Hutt dog seems to be smaller, I usually go about twice a month, and remember when the dog they served was larger than the bun, it seems a more than one size smaller than the larger dog they serve at Hirams.

Baah Ben, Hirams still one of the best in NJ, I really like their dogs served with just mustard or their great tasting chili. Hirams burgers are one of my favorites as well, cheeseburger with f/o (fried onions) with an order of fries and onion rings.

John Fox

Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Sun, 05/3/09 8:26 AM (permalink)
                                                        Big g,

Did Hiram's switch to a bigger dog? I always knew it was larger than Rutt's. It looked to me like a 7. I asked one of the owners who told me it was 7 to a lb. And if you look at the articles posted on the wall, I think one of them mentions a 7 to a lb dog.

6 is a great size for this dog. Hot Dog Heaven in Emerson (now closed) used this size. I think it's the biggest size Thumann's makes for it's deep fryer.

Rutt's seems even smaller. I was to Papaya King in Clifton recently and their dogs looked awfully small. They are supposed to be 10 to a lb. They looked like 12's. But they are only 99 cents from 4 to 6:30. When I went on a Saturday, they were giving them away for free. I asked the owner about the size, and he said because of them being natural casing dogs, the size varies from 9 to 11. I don't buy this. There is a slight variation with casing dogs, but not to that extent. I would say in my estimation that the dogs have gotten smaller. At least 11 to a lb if not 12. Perhaps that is why the owner is charging less for a dog than the previous owner. A regular dog is $1.50, down from $1.99.

big g in joisey

• Location: Kearny, NJ
                                                          Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Sun, 05/3/09 9:43 AM (permalink)
                                                          John, I think it was around Memorial Day last year, when a friend of mine asked the owners of Hirams how many hotdogs come in the boxed twin packs. Pete & Jeff said that the 10 pound packages have 60 hotdogs per package. I remember Hot Dog Heaven in Emerson, the owner mentioned that the Thumanns dog they served was the same as Hirams, I think they also offered Sabretts as well, nice little place it was too bad they never really took off. Next time I go to Papaya King will have to check out the size difference, Frank the current owner seems to be hands on and will have to ask him about it, Matt Visconte the previous owner was pretty dilligent in making sure that his product was always consistent. I also notice the same reaction at Boulevard Drinks, it is one of my favorites, yet somtime I here some customers say the price is going up and the size is getting smaller. I have not noticed any difference
                                                          and I always like the fact that you can specify which dog you can choose off the griddle,whether it is the size or if you prefer well done hotdogs, you only have to ask.

John Fox

• Location: Union, NJ
                                                            Re:Deep Fried Hot Dogs Sun, 05/3/09 10:11 AM (permalink)
                                                            I love Boulevard Drinks and would go much more often if there was parking.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 44

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com