Deep Frying Oil

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
skinsfan.06
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
2006/06/08 11:34:50 (permalink)

Deep Frying Oil

Question. Which kind of Deep Frying Oil do you use (with what foods).....and why?

I don't know much about the consistency of oils, but I mostly use Canola oil. For fries and wings, I would LOVE to use Peanut Oil...but it burns far to quickly for me.

So, what Deep frying oil do you prefer?

44 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18859
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/08 11:44:15 (permalink)
    I read today that Wendy's is switching to a new blend of corn and soy oil that it developed to cut transfats in it's fries and breaded chicken.
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/08 11:50:11 (permalink)
    For deep frying I tend to vary what I use for the product being fried. Generally it is peanut and canola but with either butter or olive oil added depending on the product. Chicken. fish or veggies gete the butter...adds a bit of richness. Seafood usually gets the olive oil, not EVOO, just the regular stuff in the big tins.
    shackburger
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/08 15:52:44 (permalink)
    If your cooking with peanut oil in a restaurant, you better warn your patrons, as many are allergic to it.

IMHO, Crisco gives the best fry flavor. Chicken,home fries

Peanut oil for home stir fry.

Olive oil for fish

Butter for fried eggs or bacon fat is even tastier

Canola a pretty good pinch hitter for all

For large quantity restaurant use, the Kirkland oil at Costco has great legs

pinkie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/08 17:46:23 (permalink)
    Try using rice oil-it has a smoke point of 490, is trans fat free and it lastes a long time!!! I would stay away from peanut oil because of possible food allergies.
    skinsfan.06
    Junior Burger
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/08 22:04:04 (permalink)
    Yeah, when I said that I like to use Peanut Oil, that was for my Personal preferenceand I don't cook with it when I sell foods. Thanks for the cautionary advice. I don't know anything about rice oil, but sounds interesting. I am currently using Canola oil (seems like a "safe" oil) for now, however, I am definitely open to other suggestions.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6411
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/08 22:39:17 (permalink)
    I use Canola oil for deep frying my pork tenderloins. It is the healthiest by far for deep frying. Otherwise I use olive oils for other uses.
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/09 08:39:32 (permalink)
    i use vegetable oil. its the cheapest, and thats that.
    once you season fried foods, its very very few people that can tell what oil you fried in.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/09 12:09:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bassrocker4u2

i use vegetable oil. its the cheapest, and thats that.
    once you season fried foods, its very very few people that can tell what oil you fried in.

No, but their arteries can. I've pretty much stopped eating the food at a number of fast food chains until, like Wendy's, they change what's in the fryer to something not containing trans or saturated fats. If you are using vegetable oil NOT containing tropical oils (like palm, palm kernel or coconut) that should be OK, though. Not as good as pure canola but good enough.
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/09 12:30:53 (permalink)
    Canola is the only thing I put in my deep fryer, but I'm going to look into this "rice oil" thing. . . never heard of it.
    pinkie
    Junior Burger
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/09 14:47:11 (permalink)
    The thing about rice oil that most people don't get is that it is very effective in deep frying but it also has health benefits. It has more antioxidants and vitamin E than olive, canola, soy, palm,sunflower etc. It is also GMO free-no genetically modified organisms. It has also been documented to help lower cholesterol.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/09 22:32:33 (permalink)
    So who sells Rice oil and what does it cost compared to the other oils? I had never heard of it either.
    boyardee65
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/09 23:35:55 (permalink)
    Sorry everyone my choice for frying oil is LARD!!! The Best flavor and a high smoke point if it is pure and filtered. French fries turn out crispy and light.
    pinkie
    Junior Burger
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/10 00:02:46 (permalink)
    GROSS-LARD IS SERIOUSLY BAD FOR YOU. WHY WOULDN'T YOU A LEAST TRY SOMETHING A LITTLE MORE HEALTHY LIKE ANYTHING.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/10 00:07:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by boyardee65

Sorry everyone my choice for frying oil is LARD!!! The Best flavor and a high smoke point if it is pure and filtered. French fries turn out crispy and light.

All true, but it's not so much better that the adverse health effects should be ignored. Sometimes it is, though. I still use a little lard making refried beans because they don't taste at all the same with vegetable oil, but for heavy duty deep frying you can find much healthier substitutes that taste good enough and I think you owe it to your customers to do so. Of course, it's true--if you tell them what their food was fried in and they still choose to eat at your place, it's their choice, but I bet a lot of them have no clue.
    pinkie
    Junior Burger
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/10 19:07:48 (permalink)
    If you are looking for rice oil check out The California Rice Oil Company-ask your local distributor if they carry it or order online. Deep frying a turkey in rice oil is great-I would never go back to baking a turkey in the oven.
    skinsfan.06
    Junior Burger
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/11 10:34:04 (permalink)
    LARD is completely discusting to me. I went to a Soul Food restaurant in Baltimore years ago and ordered a slice of Sweet Potato Pie. Well, they bagged it and when I got home, I noticed a white layer of film on the top of the pie. LARD is what it was.

As for the RICE OIL thing, I checked it out on the internet and it sounds wonderful. The reports even say that the food tastes better. I may have to try it out.
    pinkie
    Junior Burger
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/13 18:08:45 (permalink)
    " />I would like to congratulate Wendy's for changing to trans fat free cooking oil. If they can do it any restuarant can find a better alternative. Maybe it takes trial and error to find the right oil but in the long run the customers win.
    prisonchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 296
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/13 19:16:27 (permalink)
    bassrocker,
    i agree with you!!!!!
    boyaredee,
    even tho i didn't agree with you on ribs i sure agree with you on lard!!!!
    many is the time i substituted lard for the butter called for in french pastries due to the florida heat. it is natural (take that you al gore wannabee's) and makes superior crusts.
    last time i looked this was the pro's section and not the tree hugger segement.
    for those who want no transfats my i suggest tofu but watch your4 cooking temps as that can go transfat also. oh and by the way it is made with gypsum which has naturally occuring asbestoes. since my father has asbestoeists i resent the way the you are heading people to their doom
    jack
    ps. just kidding i think.
    pps. no i'm not!!!!!
    DinerLovr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/26 00:32:55 (permalink)
    I use just basic fry oil from Sysco foods. Cheap! I fry fish, fries, potato wedges, sausage links, etc.

Because I fry so much, I have to boil out the fryer on Sunday and Thursday. That way the oil stays fresh. Also, each shift filters the oil and prior to adding the oil back to the fryer after filtering it, add 3 qts fresh oil. Once it's back to temp, add fry oil conditioner.

I looked into higher oils like peanut... way too costly.

I've hired cooks from other restaurants that never change or filter the oil until it's basically sludge! Yikes! I'll never eat fried items there again...
    Kinsman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/26 11:05:04 (permalink)
    Lard is great.
    I use costco fryer blend most of the time....but lard tastes great. Try some french fries, fresh cut and fried in lard. Whoa. I would be glad to vounteer for a taste test, I guarantee I could taste the difference.

And it's not like it forms the basis of my diet anyway. I eat green things once in a while. When I must.

On the peanut-allergy thing: if you have a rare and possibly fatal allergy to a common food, it's up to you to make sure of what you put in your mouth.
    pinkie
    Junior Burger
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/26 14:19:17 (permalink)
    To dinerLovr-what if you used a higher quality trans fat free oil and changed it less-of course filtering it along the way-would this be equal to the money you are spending now? If it costs just a little extra wouldn't it be worth it in the long run? Just a suggestion.
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/27 14:01:04 (permalink)
    The "data" that support that so-called trans fats are unhealthy is spotty at best and cannot be used to support a claim that the consumption of trans fats contributes to heart disease or a higher rate of heart attacks. The whole transfat scare is just the latest of a historical series of nutritional bugaboos designed to frighten the public. It's all just junk science, folks.

http://www.junkscience.com/nov99/transfat.htm
    -Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/27 14:05:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

All true, but it's not so much better that the adverse health effects should be ignored...for heavy duty deep frying you can find much healthier substitutes that taste good enough and I think you owe it to your customers to do so.

Regardless of what you fry it in, deep-fried food is far from healthful. I doubt anyone in America is dumb enough to think they're doing something "healthy" when they eat fried food. It should be such an occasional thing that it doesn't much matter whether you use canola or lard. Frankly, I'd rather use lard. It tastes better. And considering I eat something out of a deep fryer maybe four times per year, I think my health is pretty much unaffected.
    pinkie
    Junior Burger
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/27 16:23:04 (permalink)
    Dear Tricky, I hate to be the trans fat police here but I must.
    Nobody said fried foods are healthy but they can be healhier. If you only eat fried foods 4 times a year what about all the other trans fat products you consume everday without your knowledge. You would be surprised. Take a look at LARD and you can see what it would look like in your arteries. I just think people should care what they put in their bodies.I ask restaurants all the time what kind of oil is used-if they use partially hydrogenated oil I won't order fries, or anything else.
    Just a kind suggestion.
    pinkie
    Junior Burger
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/27 16:30:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roadrash

The "data" that support that so-called trans fats are unhealthy is spotty at best and cannot be used to support a claim that the consumption of trans fats contributes to heart disease or a higher rate of heart attacks. The whole transfat scare is just the latest of a historical series of nutritional bugaboos designed to frighten the public. It's all just junk science, folks.

http://www.junkscience.com/nov99/transfat.htm
    [|)]Wow, what about the zillions of other studies that show trans fats are like putting plastic in your body.I lowered my cholesterol by eliminating trans fats and using rice oil exclusively.
    Check out www.bantransfats.com for more info.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/27 17:18:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for that link, Pinkie. It is very informative and I have bookmarked it for future use.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7281
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/27 19:52:35 (permalink)
    In all the restaurants that I cheffed in, I always bought Sysco fryer oil.....a basic vegetable oil and suitable for frying just about everything. Several times I have topped a steak with onion "strings", coated with rice flour and fried in peanut oil. At home I use canola. In France I used 3/4 safflower oil, 1/4 lard......seasoned with a couple cloves of garlic and a few bay leaves.......that was the best, but obviously not practical for a restaurant.

I will not disagree that fried foods are generally not good for your health. Consumed in moderation I don't think they're lethal, either. We RARELY eat anything fried but there are those times when panko-breaded halibut is a MUST!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/27 20:14:02 (permalink)
    Moderation and portion control is the key to eating. Simply put, eat no more than you need to maintain and you could eat anything. Saying that, it IS a hard thing for me to do. I just like to eat. Of course I cannot give up my deep fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Deep Frying Oil 2006/06/27 21:28:28 (permalink)
    I've always used GFS extended life cheap oil. Worked great! I beleive it was vegetable, but dont quote me on that one..

As for all the health fanatics.. Do you eat deep fried foods everyday? Jeesh, sounds like a lifes cause for you guys. I'd be more worried about the chemicals and hormones they inject into the livestock, or chemicals added and used during the production of vegetables. Even for those eating healthy, if your cooking with Olive Oil, and it's not labeled organic, your in for the shock of your life. These oils have more concentrated chemicals in them then you could shake a stick at... (Take 12lbs of olives and squeeze them to make a bottle of oil... Picture how much pesticide was used on them 12lbs that was absorbed into the fruit)...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1