Defining "pizza"

Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6311
  • Joined: 2007/08/16 17:35:00
  • Location: brick, NJ
  • Status: offline
2008/03/29 11:56:05 (permalink)

Defining "pizza"

Lots of talk around the forums about what is pizza and where it comes from...Found this article that does a short.but fair job on a complicated question.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mpizza.html

I'm old enough to remember in the early 50's travelling around to get this,then, rare treat.Lot's has changed in 50 years or so.The origins are old, and perhaps clouded,but the overwhelming popularity of this superb food is just a few generations old!!!!
#1

9 Replies Related Threads

    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18629
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Defining "pizza" 2008/03/29 13:30:37 (permalink)
    I see nop reason to pay any attention to that source, considering this from there:

    "Shall we confine our attention to American pizza, now found throughout the world? If so, no problem--it was invented in America in the 1950s."

    #2
    porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2217
    • Joined: 2005/05/06 09:05:00
    • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Defining "pizza" 2008/03/29 13:37:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    I see no reason to pay any attention to that source, considering this from there:

    "Shall we confine our attention to American pizza, now found throughout the world? If so, no problem--it was invented in America in the 1950s."




    I agree. There's also this, "Even in Naples, there is no consensus on what exactly constitutes a Neapolitan pizza."

    Of all the variations of "pizza", the one that most certainly has a definition would be Neapolitan. pb
    #3
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18629
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Defining "pizza" 2008/03/29 13:44:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    I see no reason to pay any attention to that source, considering this from there:

    "Shall we confine our attention to American pizza, now found throughout the world? If so, no problem--it was invented in America in the 1950s."




    I agree. There's also this, "Even in Naples, there is no consensus on what exactly constitutes a Neapolitan pizza."

    Of all the variations of "pizza", the one that most certainly has a definition would be Neapolitan. pb

    I didn't read that far down. I quit with the 1950s invention of pizza. You're 100 percent correct about Neapolitan pizza.
    #4
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3146
    • Joined: 2008/03/08 11:02:00
    • Location: Sardinia, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Defining "pizza" 2008/03/29 15:47:24 (permalink)
    I think the best pizza in the world can be found still in the metro NYC area and this is the type I am talking about:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York-style_pizza


    The first pizzeria in the United States was opened in 1905 by Gennaro Lombardi, at Lombardi's in Little Italy, Manhattan.

    #5
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    • Joined: 2005/04/24 12:15:00
    • Location: Tonka Bay, MN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Defining "pizza" 2008/03/29 16:12:58 (permalink)
    The caveat about the American pizza in the 1950s was this at the end of his article.

    Italian immigrants brought pizza to the United States, in the early 1900s. However, it was the 1950s when pizza caught on outside the Italian-American community, and quickly spread throughout the U.S. and became an international food, now found in every country.

    So, he was not totally wrong but I am disappointed there was no mention of Gary, Indiana.
    #6
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18629
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Defining "pizza" 2008/03/29 17:03:48 (permalink)
    In fact, apizza was well outside the Italian community in New Haven in the 1930s. Actually, it was very much a part of the Irish and Jewish communities in New Haven in the 1930s.
    #7
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3146
    • Joined: 2008/03/08 11:02:00
    • Location: Sardinia, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Defining "pizza" 2008/03/29 19:41:12 (permalink)
    The ultimate doo wop siren song of pizza pies came out in 1959, though:

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=ffIJwHZpbgA&feature=related

    This is Norman Fox and the Rob Roy's bio - which includes a review of "Pizza Pie" by Billboard Magazine:

    http://robroys.homestead.com/Welcome.html

    #8
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    • Joined: 2007/08/16 17:35:00
    • Location: brick, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Defining "pizza" 2008/03/29 21:20:11 (permalink)
    thanks again...seems like we have two threads going now on defining pizza....which of course,I doubt we'll ever do...but at least I get to listen to classic do-wop! Thanks!!!
    #9
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    • Joined: 2005/06/16 23:00:00
    • Location: New York, NY/Santa Fe, NM
    • Status: offline
    RE: Defining "pizza" 2008/03/29 22:57:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

    thanks again...seems like we have two threads going now on defining pizza....which of course,I doubt we'll ever do...but at least I get to listen to classic do-wop! Thanks!!!


    Maybe we can combine them...the more the merrier!
    #10
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1