Defunct Breakfast place in Cincinnati

Author
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
2006/07/06 19:51:02 (permalink)

Defunct Breakfast place in Cincinnati

HI Fellow foodies!!!

My name is Susan from Cincy. I discovered ROADFOOD.COM a few months ago, and I am posting for the first time.

I love food, and plan most of my vacations, and day trips, around it.

I have a lot to post in the future, time allowing, but I have to start somewhere!! And this is it~

I was reading the forums about the "Toddle House", and it reminded me of a place I used to eat, maybe late 80's ~ early 90's, that was on Clifton Ave., just south of Ludlow. Bruegger's Bagel Bakery is there now, or maybe the newer United Dairy Farmer on the corner of Clifton and Howell.

The "Huddle House" seems to come to mind, but I am not sure. It was a wooden shack-like building, and consisted mostly of counter seating, but maybe a booth or two. And the cook was right in front of you. I remember my boyfriend at the time ordering steak and hash browns. We usually went after the bar closed, therefore my lack of real clear memories. I remember enjoying the hash browns!!!

Does anyone else remember this place?

6 Replies Related Threads

Wistah
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Defunct Breakfast place in Cincinnati 2006/07/06 20:12:48 (permalink)
    I lived in Clifton for a few years in the early 80's and there was a Steak N'Egg Kitchen - don't recall the exact location but Steak N' Egg kitchens I believe were the successors to Toddle Houses at some locations - I remember them in the Detroit area too. I hope someone knows more because I'm curious too as to the story of these places.
    Wistah
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Defunct Breakfast place in Cincinnati 2006/07/06 20:13:58 (permalink)
    BTW, "Huddle House" is a chain that is still in business in the south, similar in concept to Waffle House.
    soozycue520
    RE: Defunct Breakfast place in Cincinnati 2006/07/06 20:53:41 (permalink)
    THANKS WISTAH!!!

It was called the "Steak & Egg"!!!

It does sound like it was similar to the "Toddle House".

Thanks for connecting the name of the place with my memories!!
    BillC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Defunct Breakfast place in Cincinnati 2006/07/06 21:08:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by soozycue520

HI Fellow foodies!!!

My name is Susan from Cincy. I discovered ROADFOOD.COM a few months ago, and I am posting for the first time.

I love food, and plan most of my vacations, and day trips, around it.

I have a lot to post in the future, time allowing, but I have to start somewhere!! And this is it~

I was reading the forums about the "Toddle House", and it reminded me of a place I used to eat, maybe late 80's ~ early 90's, that was on Clifton Ave., just south of Ludlow. Bruegger's Bagel Bakery is there now, or maybe the newer United Dairy Farmer on the corner of Clifton and Howell.

The "Huddle House" seems to come to mind, but I am not sure. It was a wooden shack-like building, and consisted mostly of counter seating, but maybe a booth or two. And the cook was right in front of you. I remember my boyfriend at the time ordering steak and hash browns. We usually went after the bar closed, therefore my lack of real clear memories. I remember enjoying the hash browns!!!

Does anyone else remember this place?
    Wistah is right. When you were there, it was the Steak N'Egg Kitchen, but prior to that it was a Toddle House. I'm not sure when the name changed(I'd guess late 70's).I ate many a breakfast (early and late) there. However it was never a wooden shack-like building. It was concrete with a white brick facade. It also had more than a booth or two (although it was by no means large). They had a lunch/dinner menu, but I couldn't tell you what was on it. Never ate anything there, but a good, reliable breakfast.
    soozycue520
    RE: Defunct Breakfast place in Cincinnati 2006/07/06 21:18:39 (permalink)
    Like I said, it was usually 2:30am when I went.

The interior was, maybe, wood paneled, and I remember the booths being wood. Maybe that's where I was confused.

Still, I have some cool memories of sitting at the counter and watching the cook make my food. I remember the staff being pretty nice.

soozycue520
    RE: Defunct Breakfast place in Cincinnati 2006/07/12 02:39:40 (permalink)
    Okay~~
    I just talked with a friend who remembers three Toddle Houses in Cincinnati. One on Victory Parkway, and one on Calhoun. Both with no booths. The one on Clifton Ave., near Ludlow had booths. This is the one I remember as "The Steak & Egg Kitchen". Excellent place to frequent at 2:30am. Only one, maybe two, employees. If you acted up, no food for you. The one or two employees kept the crowd under control.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1