Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
peabodypride
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/01/07 21:51:15 (permalink)
Did anyone ever try "Bravo Frozen Pizza"? It was available in the No. Va. markets in the early 90's, and I never saw it again.
lowey34
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/01/27 20:13:21 (permalink)
There is a frozen pizza that comes in a yellow box. Inside are three rectangle shrinkwrapped pizzas that can be broken into thirds. I believe it has been around for a while, but I've only had it once. It is about as thick as a Totino's pizza. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? I know they have a website, because they had a promotion to win a scholarship or school supplies the time that I bought it. Please help!
ericats
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 112
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/01/27 20:38:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

When I was a stripling in the 60's, there was a frozen pizza sold in So Cal by the name of Oh Boy. I still remember the smell and taste of those things, and I immediately lose my appetite for any food.

They still had Oh Boy pizzas when I was young in the 70s. Many, many years ago, my babysitter showed me how to improve a frozen pizza: she took an Oh Boy pizza, drizzled some olive oil on it, sprinkled some dried oregano on top, and then added extra cheese before baking. It was still pretty bad. The irony was that 30 years ago we lived very near to the best pizza place in LA (I still remember how good it was) but my mom bought frozen since it was cheaper.
susi1027
Junior Burger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/02/24 14:46:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by peabodypride

Did anyone ever try "Bravo Frozen Pizza"? It was available in the No. Va. markets in the early 90's, and I never saw it again.
JDSpiedies
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/04/06 16:25:28 (permalink)
Tree Tavern is still around. It is celebreating its 50th anniversary this year. Log on to http://www.afamilytown.org. and it will have a sidebar about Tree Tavern Pizza! Or go to Yahoo! search and Type Tree Tavern Pizza!
efuery
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 630
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/04/06 16:41:58 (permalink)
quote:
Inside are three rectangle shrinkwrapped pizzas that can be broken into thirds

That sounds like Elio's pizza.

Is Totinos still around? I can't find it here in CT.
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/04/06 16:54:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by efuery

quote:
Inside are three rectangle shrinkwrapped pizzas that can be broken into thirds

That sounds like Elio's pizza.

Is Totinos still around? I can't find it here in CT.

Plenty of Totinos in Florida, I have about 6 in my freezer now. My daughter would eat one everyday if I let her.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/04/07 11:34:53 (permalink)
I too, remember the toaster oven pizzas, but my childhood was in the 1970s. I forget the brand name, there were six to a box, and they were to die for. I used to make meals out of those pizzas. I remember the outside of the pizza would be piping hot, but the inside would still be very cold. It's like a childhood association, that sensation of remembering something from your youth that brought you happiness. Those pizzas were part of my youth. Damned if I can't remember their name. Sometime in the 80s, that pizza disappeared.
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/05/07 17:36:50 (permalink)
I have consistantly found Totino's in Wal-Marts on Long Island, NY. Not just the SuperCenters with the grocery departments, either. They are in their "convenience store" section, and lately have been selling for 98 cents.
andrea573
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/05/12 23:20:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by avk2

quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad

Anybody remember those toaster pizzas from the mid 60's that you heated in the toaster? I think they were called Geno's or Gino's? My sister seems to remember they were called Buitoni? Anyone??

Buitoni Instant Pizza c. 1972. I believe "Roman" also made frozen\toaster Pizza
andrea573
Junior Burger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/05/12 23:22:05 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Anybody remember those toaster pizzas from the mid 60's that you heated in the toaster? I think they were called Geno's or Gino's? My sister seems to remember they were called Buitoni? Anyone??

andrea573
Junior Burger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/05/12 23:26:18 (permalink)
This is all too funny my husband and I were talking about this and he didnt seem to remember them but.......YES they were Buitoni Pizza Rounds.....they were frozen disks and they were GREAT!!!!!!! I was trying to find out if they stillmade them and thats how I came accross this!!! -------------

quote:

quote:

tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 626
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/05/17 02:12:38 (permalink)
I still have nostalgia for a frozen pizza called 'Big Al Lucioni's'. It was the bare two crusts in a box that you had to apply the sauce, cheeze, and pepperoni to yourself. The sauce and cheese came in the plastic baggies that you had to tear open and clean up afterwards. I can remember the sauce having a nice spice to it though. I havent seen one around in 20 to 25 years. There was always a picture of a bald chef that looked like Mel from the TV show Alice on the box. Thats all I can remember.
storm5505
Junior Burger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/05/19 03:24:29 (permalink)
I was dreaming of those yummy pizzas. Hope they bring them back. I used to toast them, open it up add more mozzarella and put it in a toaster oven. HEAVEN. Buitoni Toaster Pizza. Then wash um down with some Cold Ice Tea. Sometimes I would get freaky and put peperoni in them 2. Paradise. Hate when they get rid of something good. If they come back they have to be original receipe.
Dmoc18
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/06/20 09:28:36 (permalink)
OMG...I totally remember the Buitoni frozen toaster pizza!! They were so great I think that was the only thing I had for the better half of my childhood besides Chef Boyardee...and sadly I just checked my cabinet to make sure I spelled that right!! The toaster pizza was Buitoni brand and then McCain took them over mid 80's...after that they disappeared. I totally miss them. My kids cannot even imagine putting a pizza in the toaster. Remember how the front toasted like the top of an English Muffin and the back of it had those lines that if it was toasted just right you could peel the crust off and still have the dough holding together the sauce and cheese...ahhh good times....good times!
Dmoc18
Junior Burger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/06/20 09:56:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I always liked the sauce on the "Appian Way" boxed pizza better than the Chef BoyRDee boxed.

I found a site that still sells Appian Way and Chefboyardee pizza

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/shop/candy_cat_js.asp?c=37#
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/06/20 10:00:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Dmoc18

quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I always liked the sauce on the "Appian Way" boxed pizza better than the Chef BoyRDee boxed.

I found a site that still sells Appian Way and Chefboyardee pizza

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/shop/candy_cat_js.asp?c=37#

And you can still get the far superior Kraft Pizza Mixes from this web vendor:

http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

twodales
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/07/11 01:21:42 (permalink)
How about John's pizza? Our high school (Chicago 'burbs) served them and grilled cheese sandwiches. That's how I survived high school. Oh, and the shakes which were the pre-cursors to Wendy's Frosty.
MOC
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/07/12 19:23:11 (permalink)
The pizza I remember that broke it into thirds was Elio's pizza? that was our family favorite. I was a fan of the corner pieces. I don't remeber the box being yellow though....
quote:
Originally posted by lowey34

There is a frozen pizza that comes in a yellow box. Inside are three rectangle shrinkwrapped pizzas that can be broken into thirds. I believe it has been around for a while, but I've only had it once. It is about as thick as a Totino's pizza. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? I know they have a website, because they had a promotion to win a scholarship or school supplies the time that I bought it. Please help!
MOC
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/07/12 19:28:33 (permalink)
I'm so pleased to see other fans of Butoni pizza - I LOVED those. It was such an art to toast it right, too little and it was cold in the middle, too much toasting and it was burned and all the cheese dried up inside. Wish they'd bring them back...
Dmoc18
Junior Burger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/07/12 21:59:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MOC

I'm so pleased to see other fans of Butoni pizza - I LOVED those. It was such an art to toast it right, too little and it was cold in the middle, too much toasting and it was burned and all the cheese dried up inside. Wish they'd bring them back...
Dmoc18
Junior Burger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/07/12 22:01:37 (permalink)
You are so right...i hated taking a bite and the center was ice cold...forgot about that for a sec...lol Sometimes I taste something or catch a smell from something cooking and it brings back the exact image of those yummy pizzas. BRING THEM BACK!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Dmoc18

quote:
Originally posted by MOC

bib
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/07/16 10:11:50 (permalink)
Johns frozen pizza was made by the Anthony J pizza company in Chicago Heights, IL. (I worked there right out of high school).
The company closed in the early to mid 80s and, I believe, that they sold the "Johns" name to Tony's or Geno's frozen pizza.
I'm not sure that I really beleive it, but, they claimed to be the first frozen pizza on the market back in the late 50s or early 60s.
Side note..... The name of the man that owned the company was Pizza! Anthony John Pizza.
You don't want to know what was in that sausage the you enjoyed so much!!!
Joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/07/27 13:57:11 (permalink)
Now this is my kind of topic!

1) Johns Pizza--it was always great, nice cheesiness & not too much sauce, crust was not too thin/thick--perfect.

2) Buitoni--I used to love all of theirs , the toaster pizza (& toaster grilled cheeses also), they had large frozen pies & break apart slices. Very nice product!

3) Original Ellios--today's Ellios is nothing like what we had growing up. I think Betzios now makes it, not exactly the same, but close.

4) Little Chef--they were from the deli department, little 5" pies wrapped in plastic, 3 to a pack, heat em up in a few minutes!

5) Roman Frozen pizza--Anyone remember them? They made a nice snack size, chees & sauce were great! They were always advertising on TV here in NJ Also ( "Roman Frozen pizza..")

Man --all this reminiscing is making me real hungry for things I cant have any longer!
lilbuddypizza
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/08/10 08:20:05 (permalink)
Is this a reasonable recreation of the Chef Boyardee Frozen? I tried.
PaulBPool
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 278
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/08/10 09:24:59 (permalink)
I remember Tree Tavern, and yes, it's still around; one that isn't though, the one I used to eat all the time, was called "Roman". I'm not sure if it was a NY local or not, but I used to love it! It was four smallish pizzas in a box, each one maybe 6" in diameter, and as a growing male teen, I would eat a box of four at a time. They had a typically cardboardish crust, decent sauce, but had a LOT of cheese on them. I would load them up with oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper and oh boy were they good!
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/08/10 10:46:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBPool

I remember Tree Tavern, and yes, it's still around; one that isn't though, the one I used to eat all the time, was called "Roman". I'm not sure if it was a NY local or not, but I used to love it! It was four smallish pizzas in a box, each one maybe 6" in diameter, and as a growing male teen, I would eat a box of four at a time. They had a typically cardboardish crust, decent sauce, but had a LOT of cheese on them. I would load them up with oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper and oh boy were they good!

Hey Paul--Tree Tavern is still around, but it's not the same. The crust, sauce & cheese are all different--it's now very similar, if not identical to the Mc Cain Ellios pizza. Roman pizza was great. Aside from the mini pies (which I also loved), they also make a large pie. Too bad they aren't around anymore--they were a great snack!
PaulBPool
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 278
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/08/10 11:57:25 (permalink)
Hey Joisey, thanks for the heads up! I haven't had a frozen pizza in a long time - and I guess I might have been tempted to try a Tree Tavern again, since they used to be good. I remember the cheese was actually long shavings, kinda like you'd find in a real pizza shop. Sorry to hear it's gone the "McCain/Elio's" way....
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/08/10 12:05:51 (permalink)
No prob Paul--I was very let down when I tried one a while ago. TT Pizza WAS great--nic crisp crust & real gooey cheese. Damn, im getting hungry. I listed my favs above, but forgot TT. I think the one I miss the most is John's! Buitoni's a close second.
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/09/07 13:29:28 (permalink)
Wolfgang Puck (via ConAgra) introduced a frozen pizza line around 2001 that I thought was really good. It was a thin crust with a smoky “brick oven” taste. I would add additional chesses, sweet peppers and other toppings, but it was great out of the box. They used to have them at Costco and most grocery chains. Then they slowly faded away and I don’t see them anymore. I think they were priced too high for a frozen pizza product. There is also a line that started here in San Diego called Chicago Brother Pizza. They had one little restaurant and then were given a chance to sell the frozen one through Price Club (now Costco) and they grew like crazy and sold the chain and started Milton’s Deli in Del Mar. Their bread is now sold nationwide
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1