Hot!Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
Joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/09/08 08:51:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBPool

Hey Joisey, thanks for the heads up! I haven't had a frozen pizza in a long time - and I guess I might have been tempted to try a Tree Tavern again, since they used to be good. I remember the cheese was actually long shavings, kinda like you'd find in a real pizza shop. Sorry to hear it's gone the "McCain/Elio's" way....

Hey Paul--I just got an email from the man who now owns Tree Tavern, Michael Ryan. He said TT has gone back to the original recipe after a few years of making it "differently".

Now I HAVE to try it again! Keeping my fingers crossed!
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/09/15 13:52:51 (permalink)
Nope! it wasn't like the old tree Tavern. It's actually like an Ellios round pizza (now Betzio's & Shop Rite's own store brand). i can get the Sr for 2.99, so save the extra buck instead of buying TT. Disappointing!
PaulBPool
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 278
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/09/15 14:07:16 (permalink)
Sorry to hear that it turned into a tease Joisey! I wonder if maybe you caught an "old" one still on the store shelves? I bet I can tell you if it's "original" just from looking at it, those old TT pizzas had a very distinctive look when you opened up the box! Maybe I'll shell out the $3.99 and try one this weekend
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/09/15 15:47:57 (permalink)
Save the cash! The owner of the Co said they changed back to the "orignal recipe" several years ago, & it def wasn't that old. Like I said , not a bad frozen pie, but not the TT I knew so well!
Pizzafiend
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/09/15 19:19:23 (permalink)
The best frozen pizza is and most people will freak out about this Jewel food store pizza(owned buy American stores and/or Albertsons) and a close second Homerun inn pizza who has a exclusive contract with Walmart and Sams club.
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/09/16 10:29:02 (permalink)
How about Celentano's frozen pizza? They used to have break apart slices (kind of like Buitoni's slices), and also a medium, square pie in it's own tray in which to bake it--great sauce.
PaulBPool
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 278
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/09/16 11:06:17 (permalink)
Boy, now we're talking GOOG pizza - Celentano's! I remember it well, a rectangle that was pre-scored at the factory, and yes, it came in a cardboard baking tray that helped crisp the bottom! But best of all, the cheese on the pie was excellent - kind of a small grate mozzarella! I used to eat that stuff pretty regularly when I was working late hours, and it always was good. Celentano's other frozen entrees are pretty good as well, the manicotti is tasty and has plenty of cheese in it.
I don't know if they still make the pizza, but man, they should!
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 442
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/09/16 11:14:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Joisey

How about Celentano's frozen pizza? They used to have break apart slices (kind of like Buitoni's slices), and also a medium, square pie in it's own tray in which to bake it--great sauce.

Was Celentano's pizza around in the 1970s? The name sounds familiar and it may be the frozen pizza I'm remembering that was our staple back then.

Its distinctive charcteristic was sausage that was shaped into tiny squares. And lots of peppers on it too. Round pizza and packaged in cellophane shrink wrap.

If I'm not remembering correctly, does anyone remember the frozen pizza I'm describing. This would have been in Birmingham, AL.

Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/09/16 11:39:43 (permalink)
Is Wolfgang Puck frozen pizza still out there. It was a little pricier but good quality with a smokey oven cooked flavor.
Dmoc18
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/09/16 13:30:25 (permalink)
I said it before and I'll say it again...The Buitoni frozen toaster pizza was without a doubt the best!! They were so great just stick them in the toaster and take a bite...the center would be slightly cold so then you'd retoast and then burn your mouth! When McCain took them over mid 80's soon after they disappeared. :(
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/09/16 16:10:35 (permalink)
I didn't know Mc Cain took them over--they screw all the good stuff up! Look what happened to Ellios! Damn--I can almost taste a toaster pizza now!
Dmoc18
Junior Burger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/09/16 17:17:59 (permalink)
I know those were the best...and so funny I made my kids an Ellios before and when they sat down to eat I figured I'd taste a piece. So I said I must be starving because this is tasting pretty good. My daughter said she must be starving too because it was good. Maybe they have been reading our comments and changed a thing or two. But oh how I'd love a toaster pizza. Just goes to show you don't know what you got till its gone!
lilbuddypizza
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/09/25 02:19:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Joisey

I didn't know Mc Cain took them over--they screw all the good stuff up! Look what happened to Ellios! Damn--I can almost taste a toaster pizza now!

Were those toaster pizzas round? I seem to remember a commercial in the 70's that featured a little kid and a chimp. Something about how easy it was to make.
pgoat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/10/13 08:46:14 (permalink)
great thread!

Growing up in NYC, I remember Tree Tavern (yuck!), Ellios (definitely better in the old days), McCain (in my teens and twenties - good late night food when the diner was closed on the way home) and my faves were the Buitoni mouth burners....How many after school snacks I had THOSE for - watching mind numbing cartoons and Godzilla flicks on the ABC Ch. 7 afternoon movie.....

here's an obscure one - does anyone rememeber a prduct called "Chizza"? Not sure if the speelaing is right but it was a play on Cheese + Pizza.....I've tried Googling it and came up empty. Also asked my older sister who has a poor memory, and others who grew up in the rergion, and apparently I am alone on this one.....

It was sold briefly ca/ 1970-73 (maybe only 6 mos or so) - it was a full size pie (not sure if round or square), boxed for the freezer. It was a 'white' pie (no tomaoto sauce) with a few different cheeses and lots of herbs/spices. I remember liking but not loving it, probably due to the heavy seasoning (not the best way to this little boy's heart!).

Anybody?
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/10/13 09:48:19 (permalink)
hmm--I do seem to remember that. It wasn't out too long, was it? Can't believ you didn't like the Orig tree tavern--was a great pie!
pgoat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/10/13 20:48:08 (permalink)
well, the fact that I liked the Butoni toaster pizzas shows my sense of 'taste'!
Dmoc18
Junior Burger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/10/14 10:47:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pgoat

well, the fact that I liked the Butoni toaster pizzas shows my sense of 'taste'!

HEY!! I liked the toaster pizzas! They were pretty darn good for something that pops out of a toaster. I mean how many things have been out since or before that you put in a toaster and have the whole meal? Toast, English Muffin, Pop Tart, PIZZA!!!

I miss them!
clambo
Junior Burger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/10/16 22:15:39 (permalink)
Back in the early '60's, in the Boston area, there was a "kit" pizza called Original Crispy Pizza. It consisted of a frozen dough shell, a packet of sauce, and a packet of cheese. They were one of the major sponsors of Arnie "Woo-Woo" Ginsburg's Night Train show on WMEX, and I can still remember the jingle (delivered in a fakey Italian accent):
"Spread-a da sauce,
sprinkle da cheese.
Quick ta bake and
Sure ta please".
I Googled the name out of curiosity; turns out the company still exists (in Lincoln, RI, as well as other locations), and they specialize in pizza and pizza-related products for school cafeterias. With a pedigree like theirs, the sky's the limit.
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/10/22 15:56:59 (permalink)
how about john frozen pizzas 3 to a box from jewel or dominicks always had them
morcy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/11/09 10:57:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by twodales

How about John's pizza? Our high school (Chicago 'burbs) served them and grilled cheese sandwiches. That's how I survived high school. Oh, and the shakes which were the pre-cursors to Wendy's Frosty.

Oh my gosh, John's pizzas were the best. I'm originally from Chicago...where did you go to high school?
Cyrus
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/11/27 00:16:11 (permalink)
quote:

great thread!

Growing up in NYC, I remember Tree Tavern (yuck!), Ellios (definitely better in the old days), McCain (in my teens and twenties - good late night food when the diner was closed on the way home) and my faves were the Buitoni mouth burners....How many after school snacks I had THOSE for - watching mind numbing cartoons and Godzilla flicks on the ABC Ch. 7 afternoon movie.....

here's an obscure one - does anyone rememeber a prduct called "Chizza"? Not sure if the speelaing is right but it was a play on Cheese + Pizza.....I've tried Googling it and came up empty. Also asked my older sister who has a poor memory, and others who grew up in the rergion, and apparently I am alone on this one.....

It was sold briefly ca/ 1970-73 (maybe only 6 mos or so) - it was a full size pie (not sure if round or square), boxed for the freezer. It was a 'white' pie (no tomaoto sauce) with a few different cheeses and lots of herbs/spices. I remember liking but not loving it, probably due to the heavy seasoning (not the best way to this little boy's heart!).

Anybody?
Cyrus
Junior Burger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/11/27 00:18:30 (permalink)
quote:

great thread!

Anybody?
Cyrus
Junior Burger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/11/27 00:22:33 (permalink)
Yes, I remember Chizza, it was made by Roman Products. My dad and uncle started the business. I'm amazed that any one remembers it, only sold for about a year in 1972. It was actually like the quatro formaggio pizzas today. A little ahead of it's time. Thanks for jogging my memory. I was in charge of store demos while I was in college.
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/11/29 17:27:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrus

Yes, I remember Chizza, it was made by Roman Products. My dad and uncle started the business. I'm amazed that any one remembers it, only sold for about a year in 1972. It was actually like the quatro formaggio pizzas today. A little ahead of it's time. Thanks for jogging my memory. I was in charge of store demos while I was in college.

Cyrus--veyr cool. I loved the Roman products. Whatever happened to the company? BTW--Chizza was great!
backfrmIraq
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2005/12/30 11:52:01 (permalink)
Totino's is still the deal heere in Mobile....growing up in Pittsburgh my mom used to make a box pizza, probably Chef Boy-Ar-Dee on a cookie sheet and the pizza was square....she didn't own a pizza cutter so she used a pair of scissors to cut the pieces....I don't remember it being any good....just a Friday nite feed the kids something before her and my father went out to eat...finally in like 1970 or so a local pizza joint opened, Fox's Pizza Den in Irwin PA....no delivery, the pizza was thin, greasy and placed in those flimsy grey cardboard pizza box that the top would deflect down onto the pizza top when you carried it and more often than not, the center cheese was stuck to the top....
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2006/03/13 08:47:58 (permalink)
For those remembering Roman Frozen Pizza, I found something that tastes (from what I remember 30 + yrs ago) similar to it. it's Acme Extra Cheese frozen pizza. Can't say it's exact, but tastes pretty close.
twodales
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2006/04/18 21:12:34 (permalink)
In the Chicago area, I remember John's pizza. (It was frozen and I only remember the small, individual size.) Who knows if it was actually very good (by today's standards) but I remember liking them as a kid. It was before there were a hundred brands in the freezer case. Maybe it was only in Chicago?
twodales
Cheeseburger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2006/04/18 21:15:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by morcy

quote:

How about John's pizza? Our high school (Chicago 'burbs) served them and grilled cheese sandwiches. That's how I survived high school. Oh, and the shakes which were the pre-cursors to Wendy's Frosty.

Oh my gosh, John's pizzas were the best. I'm originally from Chicago...where did you go to high school?
twodales
Cheeseburger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2006/04/18 21:18:41 (permalink)
That is exactly how I survived at my Chicago suburban high school too. Grilled cheese, John's pizza and the Wendy's type shake!
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by morcy

quote:

LindaW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2006/04/19 09:47:37 (permalink)
ok...I remember TT pizza too....raised on LI back in the late 70's..my mother used to buy it and then doctor it up with extra Olive Oil...cheese and herbs....before baking it...so I can't say how bad the original was...but her version wasn't bad...back then...frozen pizza was very limited...and it satisfied a craving when needed...can't compare to to the ones at the pizzeria...but then again...neither can a delivered pizza compare with one right out of the oven...c'mon...once it is in the box and put in the insulated bag...it starts to steam...totally changes the characteristics of good pizza...but that's IMHO.

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1