Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
Dmoc18
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2006/04/19 10:26:57 (permalink)
I totally agree with the change of taste once it is delivered. It absolutely never tastes the same as when you sit in the pizzeria and eat it. One pizzeria by my home, known for not being the best but it get's good business because it's one block from the school, their pizza tastes exactly like the frozen toaster pizza. I go there sometimes just for that taste.

btw...I tasted ellios with pepperoni recently...NOT BAD.
lilbuddypizza
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2006/04/25 14:50:08 (permalink)
Does anyone remember a pizza-type spread, in a small can? I believe LIBBY'S made it, and it was as small as an Underwood Deviled Ham can. They had sausage, cheese, and maybe 2 more flavors. I recall spreading it on toast(it was a thick sauce with ingredients) and putting it under the broiler for a short time. I also remember that it was VERY flavorful and zesty.
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2006/04/25 15:01:27 (permalink)

Does anyone out there remember Holloway House frozen pizza from the early to mid '60s?

This is an apparently long gone, long forgotten frozen pizza we had briefly in Birmingham, AL back then. We got it at the Eastwood Mall Winn Dixie, or perhaps at the Hills grocery store that preceded WD in that same Mall location, across from the Mall Theatre.

It came in a box and all I remember was the Sausage variety. The sausages were sort of round shaped thick things. More hamburger-ery in flavor than pepperoni or proper Italian Sausage as I recall. Very distinctive. But good frozen pizza.

I don't think it lasted very long and I may be the only person who remembers this brand today. Have no idea if it was local or a regional company, or if it was national, but would love to know.

Does anyone else remember Holloway House Pizza?
PamF
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2006/05/02 19:09:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jeepguy

When Home Run Inn pizzas first hit local grocery stores in Chicago, they were packaged in a foil tin with a clear plastic lid. Crust was SOOOO much better then. Now machine made.

I worked in a grocery store at the time. I used to love when the guy would deliver them to the store and they weren't even frozen yet! They were good. They used to make them in the basement of the restaurant back then. It was quite an operation. The family lived behind the restaurant for years and years. I remember when it was a bar with pizza pick ups!
PrattDavid
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2006/05/15 10:23:22 (permalink)
I loved the fact that Mom would wrap 2 in tin foil and they'd still be warm at lunch time at school! I would trade one for half of a sandwich. None of the other kids ever had them, so they would clamor for the chance to trade with me. The burning of the roof of the mouth on the first bite is dead-on. I would always think it was a strand of mozzarella filling, but I would wait for the swelling to go down, and continue my enjoyment!

quote:
Originally posted by Ouisch

I used to LOVE Buitoni's toaster pizzas when I was a kid! They were completely crust-enclosed, with all the filling on the inside. You always burned the roof of your mouth with the first bite, but they were delicious.
Joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2006/07/20 15:16:54 (permalink)
Yep--they were great. Too bad someone never bought the rights to put them out after Buitoni went under.
GCD1962
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2006/09/13 22:50:29 (permalink)
Only one that really tasted like pizza was Tree Tavern
FuwaFuwaUsagi
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2006/09/30 03:53:04 (permalink)
In the greater Chicago land there was a fantastic (better than any pizzaria deep dish I have ever had)deep dish frozen pizza tht was a bit pricey but oh so worth it...Biago's Superossa Pizza. The deep dish spinach was awesome as was the sausage. Still one of the pizzas I ever ate. Sadly they have not been available in 5 years :(

FuwaFuwaUsagi
sgtrn
Junior Burger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/01/05 16:21:18 (permalink)
I am so glad that you guys remember Buitoni Instant Pizza !! It was the best !!! I grew up on that stuff. I actually contacted Buitoni a few months ago to see if they were still making them. Do you know that they told me that they never made them.....the kid must've been too young to remember them :)
Maybe we should start a petition to bring them back !!!
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/01/05 20:33:23 (permalink)
The Buitoni Food Products Corporation of South Hackensack, NJ was always owned by Buitoni of Italy. Nestle bought that company. I find it funny that the kid from Nestle said they never made them. Well, Buitoni even got two patents on them - 3,615,678 and 3,615,679. You can see photocopies at Google Patents.

There is enough detail in those patents (long expired) for anyone to make them today.
Big Sausage
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 137
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/01/05 20:45:53 (permalink)
For you Chicago folks, Didn't Ron Santo have a small individual pizza they use to sell at the ball park and local supermarkets / I remember someone buying him out but can't remember who the corporation was.
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/01/06 14:47:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by David_NYC

The Buitoni Food Products Corporation of South Hackensack, NJ was always owned by Buitoni of Italy. Nestle bought that company. I find it funny that the kid from Nestle said they never made them. Well, Buitoni even got two patents on them - 3,615,678 and 3,615,679. You can see photocopies at Google Patents.

There is enough detail in those patents (long expired) for anyone to make them today.

Hmm--maybe someone reading these posts will do it? I can only hope!
kayteedee
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/01/06 16:02:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBPool

I remember Tree Tavern, and yes, it's still around; one that isn't though, the one I used to eat all the time, was called "Roman". I'm not sure if it was a NY local or not, but I used to love it! It was four smallish pizzas in a box, each one maybe 6" in diameter, and as a growing male teen, I would eat a box of four at a time. They had a typically cardboardish crust, decent sauce, but had a LOT of cheese on them. I would load them up with oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper and oh boy were they good!

Had--and loved--both Tree Tavern and Roman pizzas in southern CT in the '60s and '70s. Trader Joe's 4-cheese pizza (thin crust!) reminds me of Tree Tavern--it's not perfect, but its close!
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/01/07 19:55:29 (permalink)
Better than "school-pizza"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmmUWX-GsIM&mode=related&search=
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/01/13 17:40:02 (permalink)
Celentano's was the brand my Mom always bought. I do remember Butoni having a funny commercial, a stern looking well dressed Italian man with a message for the children of America..."if you want me to like you, buy my pizza"
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/01/16 10:50:38 (permalink)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyACp2MnSWI

anyone remember this commercial?
chriscubva
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/01/20 03:40:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lilbuddypizza

Does anyone remember a pizza-type spread, in a small can? I believe LIBBY'S made it, and it was as small as an Underwood Deviled Ham can. They had sausage, cheese, and maybe 2 more flavors. I recall spreading it on toast(it was a thick sauce with ingredients) and putting it under the broiler for a short time. I also remember that it was VERY flavorful and zesty.

I remember that !! It actually wasn't bad on toasted bread. For a 10 year old anyway.
db1105
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/01/21 18:03:22 (permalink)
I miss those toaster pizzas too.
Rando
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/08/31 15:53:36 (permalink)
I remember totino's and Fox DeLuxe. the crust on those was suprisingly good.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/08/31 16:48:33 (permalink)
Rando,
Totino's is still sold, though is no longer in all the supermakrets in my area. WalMart sells them in all the stores around here, not just the Supercenters.
http://www.pillsbury.com/view/pizza/totinos.aspx
http://www.generalmills.com/corporate/brands/brand.aspx?catID=76

The General Mills site even has a product locator.
Rando
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/08/31 17:46:21 (permalink)
a little web research shows that Fox DeLuxe pizza is still being made by Frozen Specialties, Inc in Archbold, Ohio.
adm22
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/09/03 01:13:58 (permalink)
Johns pizza made its way into central IL. They were around in the 70s. I never liked them much. I much prefered Armatos ones. Armatos disappeared sometime in the mid 1980s. I recall finding a bunch of those in an out of town grocery store I had never been to before a year after they disappeared from all the places I frequented. I bought them. But they had been in the freezer a long time and had freezer burn.

A couple years ago discovered a frozen pizza only to be found in the Quad Cities. They are called Mama Boso and are all hand made. Need to pick through them when you are buying them. Seen a few packages where the crust is mutnat crust and is folded over the edge fo the cardboard. I also bought one that had a small hole in the crust in the middle. The toppings dripped through the hole and made a big mess in my oven.
Pdasilva0324
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/09/27 10:26:54 (permalink)
I remember commercials for "Celeste" pizza in he early to mid 1980s. It disappeared then and hadn't seen it in years..then about 4-5 years ago it reappeared. I also remember Ellio's pizza.
Lindseyup67
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/09/27 12:04:58 (permalink)
Does anyone remember a frozen pizza back in the 70's-80's that was just like the Totinos pizza? I think it may have been Genos, or maybe it was Totinos, but it came with a little clear packet of spices that you dumped on it before you baked it! Delish!!!
KOK
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/09/27 12:15:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by johno
1) Hungry-Man from Swanson. This had a weird sour-and-sweet taste, and when I wanted one, I wanted one. It was about 9x12, 1/2" thick crust, some weird sauce and cheese. The cheese was like thin slices of cheese before baking. It lived up to its name. Pete Rose did a TV commercial for this, I wish I had a tape of it, he said/mumbled something like "The only things I hate are striking out and skimpy pizzas." They had a mail-in offer for a "Hungry Man" pizza cutter, and I still have it and use it. It'll outlast me--and to remind me forever, it has the original "Hungry-Man" logo on the blade.

2) Chef Boy-Ar-Dee frozen pizza. I remember a yellow box (cheese) and a red box (pepperoni?). Thin lousy crust, Boy-Ar-Dee sauce, and about the smallest amount of cheese they could get away with. But it was cheap and OK for that.

3) Kraft Frozen Pizza. Blue Box. This came on a very thin, non-reusable, aluminum pan with holes in it. Middle thickness crust, great cheese, mediocre sauce.

I wish, oh how I wish, all three would be brought back. Hungry-Man the most.
I remember the pizza and the Pete Rose commercial I think he said "you know what gets my goat?", but he definitely said "striking out and skimpy pizzas"

Thanks for a memory and a smile!

Kevin
Dave in DC
Junior Burger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/10/04 17:27:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lindseyup67

Does anyone remember a frozen pizza back in the 70's-80's that was just like the Totinos pizza? I think it may have been Genos, or maybe it was Totinos, but it came with a little clear packet of spices that you dumped on it before you baked it! Delish!!!

Jeno's had the small packet of Italian seasonings. My dad worked for them when I was a kid, and we had a freezer full of Jeno's pizza. Some of the short-lived products included a pizza that came pre-sliced in a tray with individual compartments for the slices (how lazy to you have to be to get that?); a rectangular pizza that had a concrete-like crust; tiny little snack pizzas that came 12 to a tray, which were really good. Re: johno's post above, I believe Jeno's also made the pizzas sold under the Kraft label, we had a lot of those in the freezer also. The tray with the tiny holes was a nice touch.

Jeno's introduced a terrific deluxe pizza in the late '70s with a crispy, air-bubbly crust, but was then sued by Pillsbury, who claimed he'd stolen their crust recipe. Pillsbury -- which owns the Totino's brand -- ultimately bought out the Jeno's pizza empire.

Jeno's was founded by Jeno Paulucci, a Hibbing, MN native (like Bob Dylan) who first made his fortune with the procesed Chinese food brand Chun King. Still active in the frozen food business, his greatest contribution to American cuisine is, IMO, the pizza roll.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5155
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/10/05 15:56:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Dave in DCJeno's was founded by Jeno Paulucci, a Hibbing, MN native (like Bob Dylan)
So was his real name Jeno Zimmerman?

Brad
SublimeTwilight
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2007/10/15 17:10:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Kristi S.

Do you remember back in the 80s, I think it was Pepperidge Farm maybe,that came out with "Croissant Pizza"....Ewwwwww.....Needless to say it didn't last long...

And that's a shame, b/c PF hardly ever strikes out with their products...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes. I miss that croissant pizza. It was my most favorite!
jolt12
Junior Burger
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2008/01/24 16:08:54 (permalink)
Well, I'm jones'ing for Buitoni Toaster Pizza and Google leads me here. Yes yes and yes on all the comments---burnt mouth, frozen insides and charred outsides. I don't know if anyone has commented on the fact that they weren't really....good. But not only were they a part of my childhood (early-mid 60's) but when one day I found them in a supermarket as an adult some 20 years ago and brought them home, after I downed the first two I ended up killing the box (all 6) in the same sitting. There wasn't much about them that one would find in nature and here in NYC I'm no stranger to seriously good pizza. But damn, I dug them. I would make short work of a box right now. I always assumed that there was somewhere in the USA that still sold them---that their disappearance was a regional thing so it saddens me to see them on the list of extinct species.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6315
RE: Defunct Major Brand Frozen Pizzas I Remember 2008/01/24 16:31:05 (permalink)
I remember Tree Tavern Pizza in the 60's...not good pizza...but good frozen pizza. I don't think it's around anymore,either.
leethebard
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1