Delaware Ohio to Zanesville Ohio with a Long Loop thru Ohio Amish Country ???

Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15302
2010/08/01 23:44:55 (permalink)

Delaware Ohio to Zanesville Ohio with a Long Loop thru Ohio Amish Country ???

Next weekend we are going to introduce the Scotties to the North Central Ohio Amish Country and do some Genealogy at the Libraries in Delaware and Mt Vernon while are are on the road.

We will meet some old friends at BUN'S Restaurant in Delaware, Ohio Thursday evening, after a Jungle Jim's stop on the way north. based on the recommendation of our RF friend Michael Hoffman.

After that, friday we will be in Sunbury, Centerburg, and Mt Vernon for most of the day time then move southeast in the afternoon ending up at Zanesville for the night.  Staying in Zanesville due to jammed motels in the Amish Towns !!!
Friday Lunch and Dinner??? Mt Vernon and Choshocton probable locations.

Saturday we want to find as many farmers markets and Amish food stands/stores/bakeries/meat & cheese stores as we can in a circle ride from Zanesville north thru Choshocton, Millersburg, Berlin and surrounding countryside. Then down 77 to 70 and 71 for an evening express ride home.

Short, but a real change of pace for us this month.  Several of you have posted foodstop-reports from this area, but I am having trouble finding them. We will not be going as far north as Mansfield or Wooster, nor east of I-77.

Any specific rec's will be considered, Thank You.
AL
post edited by mayor al - 2010/08/01 23:46:50

11 Replies Related Threads

soozycue520
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1031
    Re:Delaware Ohio to Zanesville Ohio with a Long Loop thru Ohio Amish Country ??? 2010/08/02 20:06:15 (permalink)
    I go to Ohio Amish country 2 times a year with my mom and sister. I don't always get a choice of where to go, since I don;t drive, but we've been to Coschocton a couple of thimes. The last time we ate at The Warehouse Steak "N Stein, 400 N. Whitewoman Street (Roscoe Village), Coshocton(740)622-4001. I really enjoyed it. I think we ate in the bar area, Lock 27.
    http://www.roscoevillage.com/warehouse.htm

I don't know if you considered Dresden, OH, but there are a lot of cute shops and restaurants. An FYI, just about everything in Dresden is closed on Wednesday.
    http://www.basketvillageusa.com/intro.cfm

Last time we went, we were there on Wednesday, and were going to eat at Popeye's Soda Shop, but they were closed.
    http://www.grubgrade.com/2009/06/18/hole-in-the-wall-review-popeyes-soda-shop-dresden-ohio/

My favorite Amish food store is Troyer's.
    http://www.troyerscountrymarket.com/

But don't pass up Walnut Creek Market.
    http://www.walnutcreekcheese.com/

There are two flea markets that will be open on Saturday, and they offer food booths, as well as crafts, and other flea market items. They are only a couple miles apart.
    http://www.holmesfleamarket.com/
    http://www.walnutcreekamishfleamarket.com/

In Charm, OH, there is Grandma's Homestead Restaurant. It is standard Amish home cooking, but they sell their homemade strawberry refrigerator jam, which I always buy a few jars to bring home, and give as gifts. It is really yummy.
    http://www.grandmashomestead.com/homestead.html
    KenK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 143
    Re:Delaware Ohio to Zanesville Ohio with a Long Loop thru Ohio Amish Country ??? 2010/08/02 22:33:43 (permalink)
    I have eaten at Popeye's in Dresden, and certainly would recommend it as a fun place. Kind of like a 1950 diner, with food to match.

But for my money, I would head up the road a bit to Longaberger's Homestead for a homestyle dinner or lunch at the restaurant. Plus many other fun things to see and do.

Restaurants

My wife always winds up making a basket of her own.... which she  has  a ball doing.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Delaware Ohio to Zanesville Ohio with a Long Loop thru Ohio Amish Country ??? 2010/08/03 00:38:05 (permalink)
    Thank You Soozey and Ken, your suggestions have been added to our list of possibilities for the Amish days. Will be reporting back shortly.
    soozycue520
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1031
    Re:Delaware Ohio to Zanesville Ohio with a Long Loop thru Ohio Amish Country ??? 2010/08/03 20:30:30 (permalink)
    Mayor Al~~

I found my first Road trip report from 2008. I have only been going with my Mom & Sister since then, but we go twice a year. We go in the spring (before the summer crowds), and in the fall (for EXCEPTIONALLY INEXPENSIVE Christmas shopping).   Here it is~~

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=414650&high=ohio+amish

Heini's Cheese Shop was interesting, and I bought a lot of cheese the first time, but I don't think their cheeses are better than some other places. There is a great bakery across the street we have discovered. I cannot remember the name of the bakery, but will try to look it up.

The Ashery is also a great place that deserves a stop. I will try to look up the bakery and the Ashery for you.

At Walnut Creek Market, and Troyer's Market, you can buy each of their own specialty cheeses, as well as Guggisberg Swiss and Heini's cheeses.

The store in Trail is very unique, and a great place to buy the "original" bologna, but you can buy it in any local market.

I have some pictures from later trips that I expected to do trip reports on, but I have have troubles with Photobucket, which I had been using. I need to find a new "photo transfer system".

I can't wait to hear about your trip!! Hope it's a good one!!
    post edited by soozycue520 - 2010/08/03 20:32:15
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Delaware Ohio to Zanesville Ohio with a Long Loop thru Ohio Amish Country ??? 2010/08/03 21:03:03 (permalink)
    Thanks, we have noted your report locations. We have visited the Delaware & Knox county area several times doing cemetery searches for family tree activities, so this 'checking out' of the counties just east of them will be an interesting time, above and beyond the Amish effect.
      BTW  I was born in Columbus, and lived almost all of my first two years in Washington Court House, before the family relocated to SoCal during WWII. I guess that makes me a transplanted Buckeye of sorts??
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10382
    Re:Delaware Ohio to Zanesville Ohio with a Long Loop thru Ohio Amish Country ??? 2010/08/04 15:13:58 (permalink)
    Al-
    Glad to hear you are going to Bun's.  I was there just a few years ago, after they rebuilt, but it didn't have quite the atmosphere as the old place.  But, the food was just as good as before the fire.  Make sure that you try the famous fudge cake for dessert.

In Zanesville, it has been several years, but I have had some good breakfasts at 4th Street Diner, right in downtown.  Without a doubt though, the must visit place in Zanesville, is the wonderful Tom's Ice Cream Bowl.  They do have a nice sandwich menu, too.

Too bad that Clark's Dining Room in Jacksontown recently closed down.  I think it was a place you would have really liked.

One place that has been on my hit list for a while is Miller's Essenplatz in Newark.  I know someone who swears by the place.

http://www.millersessenplatz.com/

Whoops, gotta run.  I may be back with some more.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Delaware Ohio to Zanesville Ohio with a Long Loop thru Ohio Amish Country ??? 2010/08/04 16:20:52 (permalink)
    BB
    I appreciate your add-ons. We are packing up as I type. Looks like a real Ice-Cream centered trip !!!  Velvet in Utica, Tom's in Zanesville. The Farmers Dairy Mart in Sunbury...This won't be a "Meat-Eater's Weekend" , so it it seems to be evolving !!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Delaware Ohio to Zanesville Ohio with a Long Loop thru Ohio Amish Country ??? 2010/08/08 08:55:29 (permalink)
    OK, Home Safe, Many modifications to the agenda for the Ohio Trip, but it turned out to be a fantastic trip. Report in the creation process.  we learned a lot  !! More to follow shortly. Will move this to the Trip Report section soon.
    holdem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    Re:Delaware Ohio to Zanesville Ohio with a Long Loop thru Ohio Amish Country ??? 2010/08/09 21:14:35 (permalink)
    I've heard great things about Phil's Inn in Zanesville. Sounds kind of like a bar with great seafood.
    TacoDrew
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re:Delaware Ohio to Zanesville Ohio with a Long Loop thru Ohio Amish Country ??? 2010/08/09 22:57:53 (permalink)
    buffetbuster
    Too bad that Clark's Dining Room in Jacksontown recently closed down.  I think it was a place you would have really liked. 

No doubt.  Only caught this place upon hearing it was closing, and... damn, what a shame. 
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Delaware Ohio to Zanesville Ohio with a Long Loop thru Ohio Amish Country ??? 2010/08/10 22:03:59 (permalink)
    Trip Report..a Short one is posted in the TRIP REPORT forum.  We were worn out when we got to Zanesville. Ate junk-food and hit the sack early. Nothing worth discussing at that stop.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1