Dell De-Crapifier

Author
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
2006/04/12 09:59:58 (permalink)

Dell De-Crapifier

I just read an article on how Dell computers are loaded with 'trial' software... Also read on how slow one boots up because of this crap..
So all ya Dell users may want to check this out: http://www.yorkspace.com/2006/04/38

8 Replies Related Threads

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3606
    RE: Dell De-Crapifier 2006/04/12 11:20:53 (permalink)
    It's been my experience that pretty much all computers you don't build yourself are loaded with a boatload of trial software...it's how software manufacturers get you to buy their products.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Dell De-Crapifier 2006/04/12 11:24:06 (permalink)
    Forget Dell. Next fall, when MacOS 10.5 comes out, you'll be able to buy a Mac that will run Windows (if you insist on doing that) as fast or faster than a Dell machine (since it will have a dual-core Intel processor) and comes with NO Windows software. It will come with quite a complete suite of Mac software, but you will be able to load Windows in a discrete disc partition and boot up in Windows, using whatever software you like, anytime you want. My prediction is, however, that people who buy these machines to use Windows on them will quite soon discover the beauty of the MacOS and stop using Windows unless they have to use it for job-related or other activities.

PS--If you go for the low-end Mini ($799), you'll be able to use your existing keyboard, mouse and monitor, and, in spite of its very small size, it's a very capable machine:

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Dell De-Crapifier 2006/04/12 16:46:03 (permalink)
    I've read about that BT, but at bootup you have to choose your operating system. I have that setup here with Linux, and normally it ends up being the Windows boot... Considering my computer stays up 24/7.

Also, with that small size box you showed, I sure hope there's plenty of fans to keep everything cool in there.. I have dual fans on my power supply, then there's the cpu cooler, video card chiller, and a lonesome fan to circulate air thruout the case (exhaust), and fans stacked on the hard drives... Alot to fit in something that small. I've been eyeing a couple of those new 'media cases' lately that are somewhat compact, but they're setup for what I'm looking for (alot of ventilation)..
    Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 717
    RE: Dell De-Crapifier 2006/04/12 18:25:33 (permalink)
    The Mac Mini has an on-cord power supply which removes a lot of the heat from the case. It is very quite because Steve Jobs hates the sound of fan motors.

But the important question is why would you want to run Windows on your Mac as you'll be making yourself vulnerable to all kinds of viruses and other malware that regular PCs are subject to.

I buy Macs for the OS, not the hardware although I do agree that they are both elegant.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Dell De-Crapifier 2006/04/12 20:20:43 (permalink)
    quote:

But the important question is why would you want to run Windows on your Mac as you'll be making yourself vulnerable to all kinds of viruses and other malware that regular PCs are subject to.

I buy Macs for the OS, not the hardware although I do agree that they are both elegant.

Since Windows will run on a separate disc partition (you can give as much or as little of your hard drive to it as you want), viruses and malware you pick up can only infect the Windows partition as they do any other Windows system.

Why would you want to run Windows on a Mac? I don't know, but the reason would be the same as the reason you run Windows on any machine. The point is, once MacOS 10.5 comes out, your Mac can be a Windows machine like any other if you want it to be and the reasons for wanting it to be are your own. And, to return to the original point of the thread, it won't come with any "trial software" or other garbage needing to be got rid of.

Oh, and it's true, Uncle Vic, how much more elegant Macs are than Dell and other Windows boxes. Supposedly, Apple switched to Intel chips because they couldn't get G5/G6 chips to run any faster without putting out too much heat--in other words, the particular Intel chip set they use is actually cooler and the fan requirements minimized. That plus putting the "power pac" outside (on the floor) and you get a small, elegant, almost beautiful computer. Alternatively, of course, there's the iMac in which the computer is behind the screen and the whole thing looks like just a slightly thicker LCD monitor.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Dell De-Crapifier 2006/04/12 21:40:25 (permalink)
    No argument on the boxs! ha ha... I have a tower that I find obtrusive nowdays.. Was cool a few years back, but I need my desk space.. Only problem I have custom building my own system is the cooling factor. Normal everyday use causes no problems, just when I get into some video programs or my brother gets on here for a game, you hear every fan in the box kick in... (Then I shudder wondering if there's enough cooling going on)..

Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 717
    RE: Dell De-Crapifier 2006/04/13 18:09:49 (permalink)
    BT,

Cross contamination was not my concern. It's just everytime you have Windows online you have to have big-time protection. My business has several PCs and we have to have them auto-update the Windows OS and antivirus daily to protect ourselves. I've been running antivirus software on Macs for eleven years and have never encountered one. Of course, I use common sense with email and don't just open anything.

However, a PC virus running on the Windows partition can, in theory, damage the Mac OS data. Any virus that causes disk corruption, i.e. deletes files, could cause harm to the Mac partition.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Dell De-Crapifier 2006/04/13 18:59:41 (permalink)
    E.G.--According to what I've read, done the way this is done, anything on the Mac partition should be safe from Windows malware. But I'm not personally expert enough to debate that. Clearly, I wouldn't have a Windows partition unless, for whatever reason, I really thought I needed one. In my case, for example, I might consider it because I've never been able to use the professional trading tools my stockborker makes available (level II quotes etc.)--they only run in Windows.

I tried not to get into a Mac vs. Windows discussion because my original point, on-topic to the thread, was just that those wanting a Windows machine will soon have a new choice and it will be gloriously free of trial and other junkware. As for me, I've had Macs for decades and find them a much superior choice because, among other things, they are free of the problems you describe.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1