Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 189
2012/02/25 16:46:00 (permalink)

Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible

Del's - - a place that I remember fondly from years ago - - will be appearing on Food Channel's Restaurant Impossible on Wednesday Evening....  It will be interesting to see what Robert Irvine does to it....

http://www.post-gazette.c./pg/12054/1211871-46.stm

30 Replies Related Threads

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4119
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/02/25 18:13:25 (permalink)
    Hey, thanks for the head's up.  As it's about my hometown I'll definitely watch.

For me, the first few episodes of Restaurant Impossible I saw were fascinating.  But, the "script and story" never changes.

The most disturbing aspect of the repeating tale is the absolute filth Chef Irvine turns up in the kitchen.

Regardless of the "$10,000" spruce-up and the new menu I have to conclude that the folks who let their kitchen get so filthy in the first place will soon let it get that way again.

I hope Irvin's contract lets him go back into those places for a "surprise" sanitation inspection.  That would make a great follow to this series.
    mamaduck43
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/02/25 19:53:53 (permalink)
    Oh, I know - - some of the crud that he turns up is so disgusting that I would never even go back, even if it were free eats!!!!  They do  a little update at the end of some of the shows - - and I do think that they have reported that a couple of the places folded after a bit.....  I have been amazed, though, that Chef Robert usually nails the 'reason why' pretty accurately...... 

I love seeing Pittsburgh candidly on the TV....  I keep telling myself that this is the reason for one of my guilty pleasures - - watching Dance Moms every time it airs......  Also, there is one more episode of Antiques Roadshow coming up this week - - they opened the season with 3 taped shows....  Lots of goodies - - some worth a real bundle......

Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 897
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/02/27 12:23:23 (permalink)
    We've eaten at Del's both before and after the Restaurant Impossible revamp. The menu is mostly the same, with a few Restaurant Impossible additions. They still have the splendid marinated carrots on the menu. The decor has changed a bit, in a way that I don't consider an improvement but don't hate.
    So I'm curious to watch this episode to see what they felt needed to change, and whether they were able to change things successfully.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10287
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/02/27 13:49:35 (permalink)
    As Mamaduck said, they usually have a tag line at the end of the episode where they followed up several months after the re-vamp to report on the success or failure of the place. They've gone both ways! Some make it, some don't.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/02/27 15:07:49 (permalink)
    Yes, I know about the tag at the end of the show that describes their financial shape.

I'd like to see Chef Robert revisit his kitchen inspections.  Bad habits are hard to break.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/02/28 12:49:01 (permalink)
    Ralph and I were just recently discussing Del's as they are another place in town that has a turkey devonshire on their menu.  Or, at least they used to.  Anyway, I have always thought of Del's as being a very good Italian restaurant, but it has been at least a decade since my latest visit.  So, it is a surprise to read that they thought going on the reality show was necessary.  Good luck to them and I hope it pays off.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/02/28 13:01:57 (permalink)
    I've seen a couple of these, and although I enjoyed them, like Jim says the script is the same. Guy comes in beats everyone up/they get defensive/they capitulate/new stuff/reveal.

They did a local restaurant, Anna Maria's in Dunmore, PA. Lots of folks say they won't go back after seeing how bad the kitchen was, supposedly Robert threw up.

I'd like to see a couple back episodes, are they on Hulu or Amazon or Netflix?
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/02/28 15:03:07 (permalink)
    Kitchen Nightmares with gordon ramsey do a follow up a year after the original show, and it is amazing the change and failure rates.

Mosca - I know comcast on demand has the current season of KI on its que of shows.

mamaduck43
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/03/01 06:21:42 (permalink)
    Mosca

They did a local restaurant, Anna Maria's in Dunmore, PA. Lots of folks say they won't go back after seeing how bad the kitchen was, supposedly Robert threw up.

Ironically, the rerun lead-in show last night to the Del's episode was the Anna Maria's show - - that one was really bad...  Their kitchen was disgusting......
    The emphasis last night seemed to be on decor, and attitude of the female owner - - she had a very short fuse and an attitude....  Robert did a good job of getting her under control...  He made a few adjustments to the way the kitchen operates and the only 'cleanliness' problem seemed to be with the ice maker and the way they were cooling their sauces....  Not too bad on that note.... 
    The decor was very dated - - I think that those tablecloths were the same ones that I saw there 20 years ago!!!!! 

It was fun seeing a familiar place and I enjoyed the Pittsburgh accent!!!!!  (I have only spent 3 years in the 'Burgh since 1964, and I can still detect the Pittsburgh accent in my speech occasionally - - - however, I do not, and never have used "Yinz" as part of my vocabulary!!!!!!)  I loved the pout on the lady's face when Robert would tell her to be quiet - - - - my mom would pout the exact same way!!!!!!  Must be a 'Burgh thing.....
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/03/01 10:43:26 (permalink)
    We were out and about last night, and I watched the Anna Maria's episode from disk. Anna Maria's is local to us here in NE PA. Wow, that was bad. I don't think I'll go there, mostly because people who do things like that get cleaned up, and then let it go again. I'll watch the Del's tonight.
    brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1111
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/03/02 08:36:09 (permalink)
    Watched the show last night. That woman was simply impossible. I'm amazed any of her staff stuck around. What a b*tch.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/03/02 12:48:33 (permalink)
    I recorded the show the other day and watched until the 1st commercial break. I couldn't take it anymore.

I've been to Tessaro's, The Pleasure Bar, that Italian food store and even the dive-looking The Sandwich Shop very near Tessaro's..  I have NO desire to go to Dell's.  That lady was a big bag of fail, though I only saw 1/4 of the show.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/03/02 13:40:35 (permalink)
    Saw Del's this morning. I've eaten there, but not since the '80s. We don't live in Pgh any more, so it's not a real choice, if I go back I'm going other places.

One thing I've noticed, eating at a lot of Italian restaurants around the country, and it's something that Chef Robert has said in each episode with Italian cuisine... red sauce in many old Italian restaurants is sugary and bland. All it tastes like is overcooked tomatoes. If I go into a random old Italian joint, anywhere in the country, I can almost guarantee that the sauce on the meatballs is going to be tasteless.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/03/02 15:14:28 (permalink)
    Going back to the 60's & 70's, the BEST Italian food I've ever eaten before or since was at a place in Da Burgh up on Mt. Washington called Tambellini's. The Matre'd was a guy named Johnny. I believe he was the son-in-law of the owner. He would serve you your food. Exquisitely good stuff!
    I know there are other Tambellini's downtown but I think they are relatives of the Mt. Washington Guy. Not as good as the "Up on the hill" place.
    I don't think the Mt Washington place is in business any longer. Can a Yinzer verify that? Do any of you remember the place I'm talking about?
    MOSCA,
    If you go over to joe rogo's house, I bet you could get some pretty good "Gravy"!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2012/03/02 15:15:52
    mamaduck43
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/03/02 15:49:56 (permalink)
    Foodbme, I remember Tambellinis....  It was one of our favorite restaurants for before big dances at Duquesne U. - - especially the Military Ball....  The last time I was there, I was expecting my first child and my (now) ex, ordered escargots.......  I spent the rest of the night in the ladies room!!!!!!
    But they did have fantastic food....  We went to Mt. Washington a few times, but the one on Babcock Blvd., in the North Hills was closer and we went there frequently.... 
    I was "spoiled" by growing up in the "Burgh when most good Italian restaurants prided themselves on their family recipe sauces....  I can't stand to eat Italian 'out' any more - - I would rather make my own....  
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/03/03 10:28:55 (permalink)
    eruby 

That lady was a big bag of fail ...

What an accurate summary.

And from reading the recent reviews of Del's, she's back to her old tricks!

I feel sorry for her, but after two HUGE breaks in life:  inheriting that business & real estate, then being given the second chance of Restaurant Impossible, what more could anyone ask?

Her family should mask & wrap her up like Hannibal Lecter and wheel her over to the Pittsburgh Home for the Terminally Aggravated!

What a damn shame.

mamaduck43
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/03/12 13:28:49 (permalink)
    I had some free time this weekend and read quite a few pages of reviews of Del's - - I have never seen such mixed reviews in my life...  It is either the best or the worst ever....  It either improved immensely or made no changes at all after the make over....  The red sauce was either straight from a jar or exactly like gramma used to make.....
    I do hope that they get their act together and that they can get / keep this family business into the black....  It sounds like it could go either way.......
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 858
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/03/12 13:52:41 (permalink)
    This is why I don't watch the show. It seems to be about going to a pretty good restaurant and then finding all sorts of faults
    gostillerz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/05/20 18:29:18 (permalink)
    Del's was never good. Or Bloomfield Bridge Tavern. My first apartment was in Bloomfield 12 years ago. The only really good restaurant Italian restaurant was the Pleasure Bar. Cump's had good 2ft hoagies, and a pizza joint next to St. Francis had really good Reubens to compete with Sammy's on 40th and Liberty. Armand's has one of the best fish sammiches in Pgh. Only one that competes is Dorido's down in South Park. Tessaro's is there too.

I took a date to Bloomfield Bridge Tavern maybe a year ago, and the place was empty on a Saturday night. The Polish platter was a joke. It used to be pretty good, but it's just terrible now. I'm picky on that stuff since I was raised on homemade Ukrainian food, but it was terrible. I was so embarrassed after talking up that place I was apologizing for a month until my Baba could make a real hunky dinner.

Notice I haven't talked much about Del's. They're not really worth going to. The older people were always at the Pleasure Bar. The 20 year olds who want to party go to Del's. The snotty Oakland college types went to Alexander's.

Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 897
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/05/21 15:10:43 (permalink)
    How curious. I've only eaten once at the Pleasure Bar, but the experience was so dismal and flavorless that I haven't returned. I thought Del's was substantially better.

I haven't been to the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern in years, but since they stopped serving lunch around 2000, I've been suspicious that their interests have moved completely from food to beer.
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/05/21 16:20:47 (permalink)
    Ralph-Have you ever been to Moonlite Cafe on Brookline Blvd? It is a locally owned institution. I saw Bruno Sammartino in there a few weeks ago. Huge portions, great prices. Their mountain of fried zucchini appetizer is a must have!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/05/21 16:40:08 (permalink)
    jm199
    Ralph-Have you ever been to Moonlite Cafe on Brookline Blvd? It is a locally owned institution. I saw Bruno Sammartino in there a few weeks ago. Huge portions, great prices. Their mountain of fried zucchini appetizer is a must have!

Bruno Sammartino??????
    With all the talk about Concussions in sports, would have thought he'd gone to that Big Ring in the Sky a long time ago! Did he have Argentina Rocca and Killer Kowalski with him??? Loved watching those guys in Black & White TV!

ARGENTINA ROCCA
    post edited by Foodbme - 2012/05/21 16:41:42
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/05/22 17:33:50 (permalink)
    Bruno is a very young 76 years old and he is in great shape!!!!  He still works out and his biceps are bigger than my thighs!
    He could kick my steelworker butt into next week.  I told him years ago that Ringside Rosie was my aunt and he believed me!!! He is a very humble man and generous with his time in talking to all of his fans.
    mamaduck43
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/05/22 19:33:56 (permalink)
    Bruno is a true hero of mine...  I used to swim for the YM&WHA in Oakland, and that is where he used to lift weights and train...  The guys would come down from the weight room occasionally to ogle the swim team 'mermaids', and there was always a flutter of interest when he was part of the group... 
    He was an amazing athlete, and a real gentleman - - it was fun watching his career grow, and interesting to see that while he was always a 'good guy' in the tri-state area, in other parts of the country he was often the 'villain'...... 
    It was fun seeing him in one of Rick Sebak's documentaries about the Pittsburgh area - - perhaps in the "Neighborhoods" one....  He has aged beautifully....
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/05/22 21:37:36 (permalink)
    Those were the Golden Years of Wrasslin'!
    Argentina Rocca was actually born in Italy, was a degreed electrical engineer and spoke 7 languages! He owned a Textile Mill in Argentina. He loved classical music and was a close friend of Arturo Toscanini. Even taught him some wrestling holds!
    His Barefoot Flying Dropkick took out many opponents!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2012/05/22 21:39:32
    gostillerz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/06/14 22:23:10 (permalink)
    Kind of off topic, but that other restaurant show with Gordon Ramsay taped a one at Levanti's in Beaver a few weeks ago, and you might see me on tv if I make the edit.  I'll be the sweaty UPS guy walking past him on 3rd street  
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/06/15 10:02:03 (permalink)
    My goodness, how nice it is to hear that Bruno Sammartino is alive and well.  What memories of him on Studio Wrestling hosted by Bill Cardille, live commercials done by Pie Traynor, and Ringside Rosie.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/06/15 10:23:35 (permalink)
    gostillerz-
    I have never heard of Levanti's in Beaver before.  Can you tell us more about the place?

MetroplexJim-
    What an incredible life story Bruno has.  It is hard to believe it hasn't been turned into a movie yet.  I have never heard one bad word about him.  Everyone I have met who knows him says he is a real gentleman and a wonderful person. 
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/06/15 10:26:32
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Del's Restaurant - Liberty Avenue - Pittsburgh, PA - Restaurant Impossible 2012/06/15 11:19:10 (permalink)
    Just don't try to "bear hug" him!

I had front row seats in New Castle years ago when he "fought" Crusher Lisowski.  When Bruno put the bear hug on him Crusher's head got red as a beet and his body went totally pale.

Here's an interesting clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT_o6Ckqb28&feature=related
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1