Delta, Do you Fly?

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13476
2006/04/13 21:20:28 (permalink)

Delta, Do you Fly?

If you fly a lot and I do, you may have a lot of Delta points. With Delta in a precarious position, if they go under and liquidate, what happens to your points. Personally, I have a million.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/12/pf/delta_miles/index.htm?cnn=yes

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

13 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    RE: Delta, Do you Fly? 2006/04/13 22:21:33 (permalink)

Paul,
    I believe you do the same thing with them that you do with a losing lottery ticket.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3728
    RE: Delta, Do you Fly? 2006/04/13 22:41:56 (permalink)
    That's not quite true. An airline's loyalty program has value, and in having value, it is likely to be one of the last remaining parts of the airline to be standing. If Delta is forced to liquidate, someone will likely acquire their loyalty program and offer something in exchange for their mileage. It may not be one-to-one for another airline's miles, though the recent airline failures indicate that someone will offer one-for-one.

One company that is in decent financial shape, American Express, has invested a lot of money in making sure that SkyMiles will survive. I know it sounds crazy, but the loyalty program that is SkyMiles may survive the airline it supports, Delta.

On the other hand, if you feel that DL's long term prognosis is not favorable, then you should be spending your miles -- incorporating an earn and burn strategy. Mileage accounts are not savings accounts and do not earn interest or increase in value as time goes on. Face it -- the miles you have now will never have more "spending power" than they do today. With airlines now selling miles (think in terms of the government printing money) to every Tom, Dick, and Harry, there will be inevitable mileage inflation for the most highly desirable awards. It has already happened over the last 10 years -- and it will continue to happen.

One other option is to book award tickets on any of Delta's partner airlines for a year in the future. You can always exchange your award tickets and redeposit the miles before your flights. This is one way to hedge against losing the miles, if you feel that strongly that they will disappear.
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Delta, Do you Fly? 2006/04/20 14:48:43 (permalink)
    There are insurance programs to protect you but I feel the best thing to do is sell your miles. Look in the classifieds in the back of USA Today for places that will buy them. I used to sell my miles to a bunch out of Houston 800 424 5312 Robert Cromwell is the number.

They would send me a certified check by FedEx and I would collect the tickets (they make the reservations) and send them back by FedEx.

You have the right amount of miles as they only want to deal w/ 150k-200k deals. However, 200k is worth about $3500-4000. I had the same worries and now only have 4200 miles on USAir. SECOND time in bankrupcy, they aren't coming back.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4538
    RE: Delta, Do you Fly? 2006/04/20 14:59:57 (permalink)
    Well Paul, you could always exchange those miles for tickets to give to another family, maybe one living in Cincinnati that hasn't ever been on vacation as a complete family unit.....

heh
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Delta, Do you Fly? 2006/04/20 15:16:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

There are insurance programs to protect you but I feel the best thing to do is sell your miles. Look in the classifieds in the back of USA Today for places that will buy them. I used to sell my miles to a bunch out of Houston 800 424 5312 Robert Cromwell is the number.

They would send me a certified check by FedEx and I would collect the tickets (they make the reservations) and send them back by FedEx.

You have the right amount of miles as they only want to deal w/ 150k-200k deals. However, 200k is worth about $3500-4000. I had the same worries and now only have 4200 miles on USAir. SECOND time in bankrupcy, they aren't coming back.

This is a little dangerous. Keep in mind, this is absolutely 100% against the terms and conditions of the loyalty program. I am not making a judgement on what you did -- but, there is risk involved. If the airline can prove that you have done this, they can confiscate your miles, and leave the person for whom you acquired a ticket stranded.

Southwest tickets, on the other hand, are still pretty easy to turn into liquid cash -- although still against their T&Cs. Southwest, notoriously, has not aggressively pursued those that sold their reward tickets.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Delta, Do you Fly? 2006/04/20 15:34:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Well Paul, you could always exchange those miles for tickets to give to another family, maybe one living in Cincinnati that hasn't ever been on vacation as a complete family unit.....

heh

TJ, you have a very good idea and unfortunately, my daughter has beat you to the draw. Her husband and two children has already planned three trips for the entire family.

I hardly use them as I fly way too much already. As I type this, I am way too high off the ground

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4538
    RE: Delta, Do you Fly? 2006/04/20 15:34:53 (permalink)
    I'd trade two dozen Round Rock donuts for 4 roundtrip ticket vouchers for the continental 48 states
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Delta, Do you Fly? 2006/04/20 16:08:47 (permalink)
    TJ, you almost got a deal. I had those Round Rock DN's with Bushie and they were super and hot.

At the price the dude quoted, you could almost buy the tickets cheaper.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6645
    RE: Delta, Do you Fly? 2006/04/20 17:06:45 (permalink)
    Do we ever fly! Well, maybe Sundancer has us beat but every time you want to get out of Alaska, you gotta fly. Want to go to a remote location to fish? Yep, float plane. Want to see Denali (Mt. McKinley) and the environs, yep, gotta fly, unless you want to walk to the top....nah, too much like work. When you're REALLY feeling adventurous, fly on a Cessna 170, single engine plane over the Chugach Mountains. Or you have to go to Homer or Valdez to do a special catering......load you and the food onto a Dash-8.
    V960
    RE: Delta, Do you Fly? 2006/04/20 17:18:26 (permalink)
    Stevekoe,
    That is one of the reasons I asked for cashier's check. I have sold over two million miles on NW, Delta and USAir over the past ten years. I have tried using them for vacations to no avail. I sell the miles and then buy tickets.

Want to go to Hawaii? Try using your miles to get there. Sell the miles (against the rules) and have the ENTIRE vacation payed for from the miles instead of just the airfare...and the whole family flys on the same flight AND flys in first class. Road and fly warriors should back sell to make it happen.

USAir just took 110,000 miles from me for a technicality...nothing tto do w/ selling miles...we can so we do was tthe response I got.

All USAir business is now handled out of an out sourced location in Mexico City. I now fly anyone but US Error.

Selling miles is against the rules but dealing w/ someone who does it every day reduces thee problem. I sell miles to them and then buy a business class ticket from them.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Delta, Do you Fly? 2006/04/20 22:52:41 (permalink)
    I just wanted to let the broad population know that this is not advised -- or rather, to do so at their own risk.

I guess I must just be lucky, but I have never had a problem using my miles. I always use them for first or business class - usually on domestic flights, though. For me, their system works -- for others, I can see it being an inconvenience. I have always been most successful with American, have never tried to use USAirways, and have had mixed results with DL (but, I hate DL anyway, so I try not to earn them -- that's a different rant, though!).
    V960
    RE: Delta, Do you Fly? 2006/04/21 08:21:32 (permalink)
    I am no longer an air warrior but for twelve years I had USA, Europe, South America and Africa as a sales territority. I also was required to travel to Japan three to four times per year for meetings. I booked a bunch of miles.

I generally travel from Charlotte (CLT) therefore almost requiring me to fly USError. On the east coast and going to Europe they were acceptable but headed west they were terrible. I still have about 200k on Northworst and another 100k on Delta. Delta didn't have any gates at Kansai (KIX) so I flew into Nagoya...extra few hours on the train but the bullet train is a blast for me.

I can't recall ever flying American. I don't think they even have a single gate in Charlotte. United only has one or two, and nW only has maybe three?

Selling airmiles is STRICTLY forbidden by the rules but then again so are back to backs. Just book on two different carriers and they'll never know.
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Delta, Do you Fly? 2006/04/24 21:45:23 (permalink)
    I just donated all of my skymiles to charity. St. Judes hospital will take em and put them to good use. Part of my give back and teach the kids a lesson in compassion campaign.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1