Denny's or Shoney's

Author
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 709
2005/12/24 09:16:23 (permalink)

Denny's or Shoney's

Denny's or Shoney's. Which is your choice?

My choice used to be Shoney's, but something happened and shoney's isn't as good as they used to be, they wer much better 15 to 20 years ago!!

14 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18951
    RE: Denny's or Shoney's 2005/12/24 16:59:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by garryd451

They closed all the Denny's in Central Ohio, and all the Shoney's are gone, too. Now, if you were talking about the original Shoney's, when they were owned by Shoney's founder Alex Schoenbaum, I'd take Shoney's.
    Rt66Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Denny's or Shoney's 2005/12/24 18:39:13 (permalink)
    I used to really like Shoney's Breakfast Bar, but unfortunately all of the Shoneys around St. Louis closed several years ago. Denny's is OK, but you can generally get a better breakfast at most of the local places. Seems like Dennys always has bad service, too.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Denny's or Shoney's 2005/12/25 00:10:10 (permalink)
    There are no Shoney's in Oregon. Lots of Denny's though.
    jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Denny's or Shoney's 2005/12/25 09:40:48 (permalink)
    Ill take a Dennys anyday over Shoddy Shonys.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Denny's or Shoney's 2005/12/27 16:03:09 (permalink)
    I'll take Frisch's over either of them, but if I had to pick it would be Shoney's but just for the breakfast bar. Our local Shoney's went out of business here quickly, and it should have been a big hit because it was the first chain of it's size here in Versailles. It's a bank now.

Andrea
    Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 397
    RE: Denny's or Shoney's 2005/12/27 17:44:47 (permalink)
    I'm surprised that the Shoney's in my town didnt last either,because their menu was much better than Dennys.But it seemed like they had a new (incompetent) manager every week,couldnt keep help,couldnt keep bugs out,just seemed like they did everything wrong.Too bad,because the food was pretty good and reasonably priced,for what it was.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Denny's or Shoney's 2005/12/27 17:51:59 (permalink)
    Yah Billfish that's the way it went here. The service was terrible, it didn't seem clean, and everyone complained of getting sick. It should have been a goldmine, but now it's history. I think it was bad management, because there was no reason for it not to succeed here. It just seemed......dirty.

Andrea
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: Denny's or Shoney's 2005/12/27 19:03:04 (permalink)
    The Shoney's on the Indiana side of the Ohio River (I-65) closed a couple of years ago, but the one located at Fern Valley Road and I-65 (Near the Ford plant and the UPS side of the airport) is going strong.
    (Oh Yeah...I am in the Louisville area)
    I agree with those of you who say they will pass it by for anything but the Breakfast Buffet. When we want to hit and run for a bunch of Bacon and some reasonably good Home Fries with gravy and fresh fruit it makes a stop that fills our needs.
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 442
    RE: Denny's or Shoney's 2006/04/12 11:03:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by garryd451

My choice used to be Shoney's, but something happened and shoney's isn't as good as they used to be, they wer much better 15 to 20 years ago!!

Yesterday, on a whim, I stopped for lunch at the Shoney's on Lexington Rd. in Athens, GA. I admit, I had not been to a Shoney's in quite some time; nevertheless, I was taken aback by this one.

It was really run down place, not very clean looking. It screamed out--This Is A Franchise In Decline! A sad former shadow of the Shoney's I knew growing up, especially our favorite hangout--the Shoney's at the Eastwood Mall, in Birmingham, AL. But I guess that was forty years ago and it seems to me this Shoney's, at least, was not keeping up with the times.

The biggest shock was the Big Boy was no longer on the menu! That two patty cheeseburger with the Thousand Island-like dressing that was Shoney's (and Frisch's) signature sandwich long before McDonald's ripped off the concept with the Big Mac.

When did that go off their menu?

So I ordered a hambuger. The menu said mayonaise would come on the side-a concession, I assumed, to others like me who don't approve of mayonaise on hamburgers. But, you guessed it, the mayo was slathered all over the bun.

And the french fries were pathetic coated crunchy, mealy things that bore no resemblence to the admittedly frozen, but passable fries Shoney's used to serve in the old days.

Ok, I know it's not 1966 anyomre, and even the Eastwood Mall Shoney's has long been abandoned (and I presume will be demolished next month along with the Mall itself) but has the Shoney's franchise really declined as much as my visit yesterday indicated???

emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Denny's or Shoney's 2006/04/12 13:11:49 (permalink)
    We stopped at a Shoneys last August on our way home from the beach and it sure wasn't the Shoneys of yesterday. They didn't have much of the same menu that they did have. There was no Strawberry Pie or Hot Fudge cake. The soup and salad bar wasn't very interesting and the food we ordered was just ok. I havn't been to a Dennys in a long time. Most of the ones around our area have closed up.
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Denny's or Shoney's 2006/04/12 15:43:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Parses6

This is not an offering for a franchise. This questionnaire does not obligate you in any way.

Once you complete this form, you may submit this questionnaire online by clicking the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page, or you may print it out and mail it to:

Shoney's
    1717 Elm Hill Pike
    Suite B-1
    Nashville, TN 37210
    Attn: Joe Phraner

tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Denny's or Shoney's 2006/04/12 15:46:02 (permalink)
    quote:

This is not an offering for a franchise. This questionnaire does not obligate you in any way.
    Once you complete this form, you may submit this questionnaire online by clicking the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page, or you may print it out and mail it to:
    Shoney's
    1717 Elm Hill Pike
    Suite B-1
    Nashville, TN 37210

Where's the link? And can I ask there when the Big Boy was dropped from Shoney's menu? I mean what's the point of a Big Boy restaurant with out the Big Boy on the menu? Was it a law suit thing or something???

I think the venerable Slim Jim was still on the menu though...
    Tastytoo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 271
    RE: Denny's or Shoney's 2006/04/13 13:06:46 (permalink)
    Shoney's didn't last long in Chicago either. They seemed to take over old Wag's locations. I think they were here in the late 80s or early 90s and lasted less than three years. We went once and thought they were O.K. Denny's isn't bad when you are desperate!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Denny's or Shoney's 2006/04/13 13:18:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tfrielin

quote:

Shoney's
    1717 Elm Hill Pike
    Suite B-1
    Nashville, TN 37210

Where's the link? And can I ask there when the Big Boy was dropped from Shoney's menu? I mean what's the point of a Big Boy restaurant with out the Big Boy on the menu? Was it a law suit thing or something???

I think the venerable Slim Jim was still on the menu though...

Shoney's gave up the Big Boy rights in the 80's. That's why you don't see the Big Boy statue at Shoney's anymore either.
    (I used to work at a Big Boy in Syracuse, NY...big mistake...yuck)
    more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoney's

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1