The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Denver/Boulder/Estes Park

Ralph Cramden

• Total Posts: 14
Denver/Boulder/Estes Park Thu, 08/7/03 7:53 AM (permalink)
Have a quick weekend trip next month to Colorado. Looking for any suggestions on great Mexican, Que or unique dining experiences--Much appreciation in advance.

Biscuit

• Total Posts: 73
    RE: Denver/Boulder/Estes Park Fri, 08/8/03 2:27 PM (permalink)
    There are literally hundreds of Mexican restaurants in Denver, some excellent, some not so good. A real authentic place, with great food, is El Taco de Mexico. It's a lunch counter kind of place and serves things like brain and tongue tacos. But there chili relleno burrito is not to be missed. They have a pretty good menu variety and most of it is excellent. It's also centrally located and easy to get to. It's at 7th. Ave. and Santa Fe Dr.
    There is another place called El Noa Noa right next door where the food used to be some of the best in the city, but it seems to have lapsed in the last few years. You may want to give it a try, though, if you're looking for more mainstream mex food.

Another great place is further out at 7035 E. 72nd. ave in Commerce City. It's called La Casa Del Rey and is a family owned joint with a huge menu, all of it good. To get to it, take Colorado Blvd. north to 72nd, then go east. It's out in the boondocks but worth the trip.

Brothers is a great place for BBQ. It's loctaed at Leetsdale and Monaco in Glendale, and is also pretty easy to get to. Excellent 'Q' in a town not known for it.

Boulder, being a college town, has lots of funky places to get decent grub. Try the Pearl St. mall. There is a cafe I like on the mall at 17th. St. called The Sunflower. It's more upscale, though, and deffinetly not road food, but the food is all natural and probably near the best in Boulder. There are many other decent places on the mall, including a couple of excellent pizza joints. Another good pizza place is Beau Jo's, a small local chain, where you can get an original "Mountain Pie". I think it's on 28th st.

If I come up with any other ideas, I'll post 'em here. [

Hope you have fun on your trip!

CoreyEl

• Total Posts: 156
      RE: Denver/Boulder/Estes Park Fri, 08/8/03 3:26 PM (permalink)
      For Mexican in Boulder, try Juanita's on Pearl Street. It's been a Boulder institution for 18 years, and is well worth the trip.

My favorite Barbeque is Wolfe's, on 333 E. Colfax in Denver. Kind of a seedy area, but AWESOME food. I even like the barbeque tofu there, and I'm not a fan of tofu.

Have fun!

Ralph Cramden

RE: Denver/Boulder/Estes Park Sat, 08/9/03 7:33 AM (permalink)
        Thanks Corey and Biscuit....I am a transplanted Californian living in Bahston which I love and has some great food.....Italian and I love New England lobstah rolls.......but finding good Mexican food or Que for that matter is tough here although I have found a few places...El Serape in East Braintree and Red Bones BBQ in Somerville. I am going to definitely bring the list of places you mentioned but I think I will pass though on the brain and tongue tacos!

Thanks again.

Biscuit

• Total Posts: 73
          RE: Denver/Boulder/Estes Park Sat, 08/9/03 4:40 PM (permalink)
          I have never had the nerve, nor desire, to sample the brain or tongue myself

You mentioned a unique dining experience, and I thought of a couple of other places you may wish to try.
          One is the Buckhorn Exchange, which is Denver's oldest restaurant. They've got some cool stuff inside the place, making for a neat atmosphere. It's located just south of downtown.
          Here's their web page : http://www.buckhorn.com/

Another place is The Fort which is located in Morrison, a scenic little town southwest of the city. The Fort, like Buckhorn Exchange, serves Buffalo and game animals. The food there is very good, although its been 10 years since I've eaten there.
          They have a web site: http://www.thefort.com/

Niether of these places is cheap, but I thought I'd throw them out there in case you're interested.

Ralph Cramden

RE: Denver/Boulder/Estes Park Sun, 08/10/03 7:11 AM (permalink)
            Thanks Biscuit.....The Fort and Buckhorn definitely fit the bill for a unique experience. We are east coasters so an authentic western experience would be great....I am going bring your suggestions with us on our trip. Thanks again.

CoreyEl

• Total Posts: 156
              RE: Denver/Boulder/Estes Park Mon, 08/11/03 1:15 PM (permalink)
              The Fort is great fun. I had cold rattlesnake cocktail there a few years ago (I see they no longer have it), and the buffalo steaks are incredible.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com