Des Moines and South Bend

Author
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
2003/07/01 14:41:15 (permalink)

Des Moines and South Bend

I will be visiting in Des Moines, Iowa and South Bend, Indiana in a couple of months and would sure like to find some good food. Can anyone help?

17 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7910
    RE: Des Moines and South Bend 2003/07/01 15:09:31 (permalink)
    I was just in Des Moines. The Iowa Machine Shed in Urbandale (just outside Des Moines) is a must. Their "Iowa Stuffed Pork Chop" is just amazing!
    Moss Miller
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Des Moines and South Bend 2003/07/05 22:24:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hillbilly

I will be visiting in Des Moines, Iowa and South Bend, Indiana in a couple of months and would sure like to find some good food. Can anyone help?

When I was in DesMoines five years ago, there was a terrific seafood restaurant: Waterfront Seafood Market
    2900 University Avenue--Clocktower Square
    515-223-5106
    BBQ Barney
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    RE: Des Moines and South Bend 2003/07/06 20:40:17 (permalink)
    I live in Des Moines and eat great meat at home, so no need for Machine Shed--but everyone says their chops are good. As for seafood, save that for your next trip to the coast. Des Moines has a number of wonderful old Italian restaurants such as Gino's on 6th Ave. for Italian fried chicken or Italian fried chicken livers. Another Italian favorite is Baratta's on South Union St. for red sauce meals and a garlicky concoction called chicken amagio. If you want real roadfood consider George the Chili King Drive In on Hickman Ave. for chili dogs and burgers.
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Des Moines and South Bend 2003/07/06 21:09:48 (permalink)
    Not everyone's cup of tea, so to speak, but for a taste of culinary history, you can't beat[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1347']The Younkers Tea Room[/url].
    BBQ Barney
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    RE: Des Moines and South Bend 2003/07/07 21:16:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

Not everyone's cup of tea, so to speak, but for a taste of culinary history, you can't beat[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1347']The Younkers Tea Room[/url].
    Amen----the chicken salad remains one of the great Des Moines lunches, but do be prepared to be one of the 5% of male customers, and one of the few patrons under age 65!
    mtm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Des Moines and South Bend 2003/07/16 00:22:53 (permalink)
    Hillbilly,

For the best BBQ in the USA try Big Daddys on 14th street!!!

For tenderloins try Smittys on the south side.

For seafood, waterfront in WDM, off of University.

For gryos try gazali's off of 86th street (urbandale).

For the best Italian try tumea & sons on (se 2nd?) or the latin king by AE milk factory.

Aug 7th - 17th at the Iowa state fair, try the Pork chops on a stick, the very best.

And while you are here, try a DSM exclusive Steak De Burgo, avail at about 50 different places, some say Gino's has the best. I haven't tried Gino's but you can get it cheap at Yanni's in WDM off University for $14.95

Have fun!!!

Mark
    hawkeyejohn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: Des Moines and South Bend 2003/07/16 08:42:48 (permalink)
    In traveling between the two, make sure to stop in the Amana Colonies just off of I-80. Damn good solid food. I recommend the Brick House or Colony Inn.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Des Moines and South Bend 2003/09/16 14:07:18 (permalink)
    I just had lunch at "Younkers Tea Room" and Michael's review on the Roadfood homepage was an exact description of the Rarebit Burger, cheese sauce and fries. But I am not accustomed to having lunch in such splendor, pianist and all. Very elegant suroundings for very good food. I would usually expect to pay much more for anything in these surroundings. But then again, I just left New York City Saturday after a 3 month project, so my expectations of what I should pay for a meal might be a little off base. I plan to try the other suggestions you guys gave me before I leave Des Moines.
    We got a bonus by stopping at "Baker's Square" next to our hotel in Clive, Iowa (Des Moines suburb) when we arrived Surnday night. One of the best club sandwiches ever, and fantastic strawberry-rhubarb pie.
    cindyloo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Des Moines and South Bend 2003/09/17 11:00:50 (permalink)
    Hillbilly, I've never been there myself, but have heard rave reviews about a restaurant called Hickory Park in Ames, just a bit north of Des Moines. They have bbq and ice cream, I believe. My co-worker raves about their chicken, bacon and cheese sandwich. Here's a link to the restaurant website: www.hickorypark-bbq.com/ames.html

Cindy

Hotrodder
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: Des Moines and South Bend 2003/09/19 01:18:32 (permalink)
    Some good South Bend area eats. (Stay out of the Grape road area in Mishawaka for the most part).

Hamburgers - CJ's pub on Michigan street just shy of the hospital (downtown).
    Diner food - The G&H (AKA the Gag and Heave) on the corner of Mishawaka ave and Twyckenham.
    BBQ (Family style restaurant) The Rib Shack Granger IN.
    BBQ (BEST) Frankys on West Washington street (Lock your car doors ).
    Ice Cream - Bonnie Doons Mishawaka (Good burgers, tenderloins also).

Fenders Drive in, on LinconWay in Mishawaka
    Dog -n- Suds US 20 Just west of Grape road
    HotDog Shack CR 6 in Elkhart. Hard to miss it's shaped like a giant drive-thru doghouse across form wallmart.

Don't forget to check out some of the small towns in the surrounding area, lots of good meat and potato eats. And Ohhhh the pies if you venture out in the Amish areas (south-east and east).

IF you happen to see a Port a Pit truck in a Walgreens or gas station parking lot, Grab your self some chicken!
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Des Moines and South Bend 2003/11/13 12:22:18 (permalink)
    Thanks to you guys, we had a very good 6 weeks in Des Moines. We went to lunch at "Younker's" several times, ate Italian at "Tumea & Sons" twice and "Baratta's" once, had steak De Burgo at "Jesse's Embers Steak House", tenderloin at "George the Chili King" and at "Smitty's". We were pleasantly surprised by the top quality seafood at "Waterfront Seafood Market" and wished that we had gone there earlier in our visit so we could have enjoyed it more often. Our expectations for seafood in the midwest weren't very high, so we didn't go there until our last week. We knew the seafood was going to be fresh when we walked through the market secion with large showcases full of seafood to get to the restaurant.

The stuffed pork chop at "Machine Shed" was too dry for my taste (and it reminded me that I had tried one before at the "Machine Shed" in Rockford, Illinois 2 years ago with similar results).

A major disappointment was that "Big Daddy's" had a closed sign in the window, indicating that they are building a new restaurant/sauce factory (expected to employ 35 to 50) on another street, and won't re-open for another month or so.

Our best meal was at "Trostel's Greenbriar", suggested by a local as an appropriate place to celebrate my wife's birthday. Probably a little fancy for a roadfood place, but excellent steaksand a good wine list. We also enjoyed our introduction to 2 regional chains where we had not eaten before, "Baker's Square" and "Culver's".

We tried a couple of Mexican restaurants which turned out to be "Don Pablo" light (the real Don Pablo's had closed), but their marguritas didn't come close to the "Preffered" at DP.

Pizza? the best we tried was probably the Chicago deep dish at "Felix & Oscars", but the 3 others we tried were totally forgettable."
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Des Moines and South Bend 2003/11/13 12:45:56 (permalink)
    I have had the same experience with The Machine Shed. About 7 years ago I ate at their Rockford, Ill location and enjoyed the pork chops alot. 2 years ago I was in the area and although there are many options now in Rockford, I decided to eat at The Machine Shed based on the memory from the past, the pork chop was very dry and much smaller than the previous vist. In one of the other threads there has been discussion about Cracker Barrel and their gift shop, well the Machine Shed's have gone the way of gift shops too so it sounds as if thats more important than the food.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7910
    RE: Des Moines and South Bend 2003/11/13 13:01:57 (permalink)
    I was at the Machine Shed in Des Moines back in May. I thought the stuffed pork chop was as good as ever. I was there twice before in 1998 and 2000. And I didn't see a lapse in quantity or quality. Perhaps I went on a good night, or maybe my taste buds for pork are not quite as developed as Midwesterners. Either way, the best Iowa Chop I ever had was at the White Way Restaurant in Durant IA
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Des Moines and South Bend 2003/11/13 13:11:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

I was at the Machine Shed in Des Moines back in May. I thought the stuffed pork chop was as good as ever. I was there twice before in 1998 and 2000. And I didn't see a lapse in quantity or quality. Perhaps I went on a good night, or maybe my taste buds for pork are not quite as developed as Midwesterners. Either way, the best Iowa Chop I ever had was at the White Way Restaurant in Durant IA

I probably just caught them on bad nights. And my taste buds for pork were developed not in the mid-west, but in 57 years living in North Carolina and eating country ham, spiced sausage, liver mush and North Carolina BBQ. Frankly, I have a hard time finding good pork anywhere else (except for BBQ ribs and Memphis style pulled pork) in the 7 years since we left NC and started traveling.
    ahomer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Des Moines and South Bend 2003/12/24 16:16:02 (permalink)
    We tried the Machine Shed a generous 3 times. Three strikes and your out.
    Al in Carlisle, Iowa
    mtm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Des Moines and South Bend 2003/12/26 23:24:32 (permalink)
    Hillbilly,

you can order Big Daddy's sauce online, go to www.bigdaddysbbq.net

I would order the normal mild, very delicious, but if you want an adventure, He has them Hot!!!!
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    RE: Des Moines and South Bend 2003/12/26 23:34:42 (permalink)
    These aren't really Roadfood, but I found excellent fine dining in South Bend at the LaSalle Grill and in Elkhart (about 60 miles east of South Bend) at the Matterhorn.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1