Deutschmacher Brand Frankfurters

Author
pam29922
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2007/06/19 19:19:39 (permalink)

Deutschmacher Brand Frankfurters

I've been going crazy trying to find a website for Deutschmacher Brand Frankfurters. I grew up in RI and these were the only franks that we would eat. I have moved to Charlotte, NC and I am trying to find out if any local stores carry them or if they will ship some to me. We have tried other brands that are said to be comparable, but we just can't find anything that we like. Does anyone have any suggestions for me???

15 Replies Related Threads

David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: Deutschmacher Brand Frankfurters 2007/06/19 21:23:00 (permalink)
    We have had a few discussions about Deutschmacher franks on this message board. Back in October 2005, I tracked them back to being a brand owned by Tyson Foods (tyson.com). The franks are made in an old Russer plant in Buffalo, NY. The USDA plant number is 5222. Distribution seems to be limited to the Northeast.

Thanks to a recall notice, we got a partial list of brand names they are making franks under at that plant:
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_041_2004_Release/index.asp

Royal Ahold's Stop and Shop division sells loose house brand S&S franks made in Buffalo. If Royal Ahold's Giant Food division which goes down to Virginia also sells them, you have a shot if you go up that way. You can also ask at the service deli in your supermarkets to see who makes their loose franks. You are looking for product bearing the USDA Est. 5222 plant number. I have never seen any firm offering to ship them like Usingers, Nathan's, Sabrett, etc. Give Tyson consumer affairs a call and see what they say.
    pam29922
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Deutschmacher Brand Frankfurters 2007/06/20 18:36:14 (permalink)
    Fabulous! Thank you so much David!
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2339
    RE: Deutschmacher Brand Frankfurters 2007/06/21 20:21:31 (permalink)
    Great job David. I've had Deutschmacher franks in Connecticut. I've also had them in Jersey. The only places in Jersey that sell them are Stop & Shop supermarkets. They are a quality beef and pork frank. While in Conn. a few years back I bought a few loose and compared them with Grote & Weigel, Hummels, Kayem, and Mucke's. They tasted very similar to Kayems and Mucke's, but better than G & W and Hummels, although the G & W frank may have been old.

Pam, I think you may be more successful getting Thumanns franks in N.C. I believe you will like these even better.

Years ago the Russer plant made Schickhaus franks for the Jersey market. These great franks were originally made by Schickhaus in Kearny, N.J. Then the recipe was made by Grote & Weigel. They lost the contract about 15 years ago to Russer. As of about 5 years ago, Grote & Weigel began making them again.
    David_NYC
    RE: Deutschmacher Brand Frankfurters 2007/06/22 01:32:24 (permalink)
    I have to report new findings. I was in the Milford, PA branch of the Grand Union Family Markets, a Clifton Park, NY based chain who took over many shuttered locations of the old New Jersey based Grand Union supermarkets. Their house brand is Best Yet, so you know they are getting their stuff from the Northeast. I found both Deutschmacher and Jordon franks there in several different put-ups. The Deutschmacher now has Tyson's name on the packages, including their phone number: 800-233-6332. However, there is a new USDA plant number on both the Jordan and Deutschmacher packages: 7839. This traces back to Kayem Foods in Chelsea, MA. I give up.

But Wait! There's More! Kayem will ship some of THEIR products! Here is the Schonland listing:
    http://www.costore.com/kayemdeli/productenlarged.asp?peid=59&pid=718293
    Here is Kayem:
    http://www.costore.com/kayemdeli/productenlarged.asp?peid=59&pid=397242
    Then, ten bucks says if you ask them about Deutschmacher, they will claim they never heard of them.

Edited to give Kayem online store info.
    pookie1203
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Deutschmacher Brand Frankfurters 2009/07/11 17:24:26 (permalink)
    Kayem bought out these brands from Tyson.. Jordon's, Essem,
    Deutschmacher, Schonlands, amongst  others. They also make Ball Park Franks.

To my knowlede? They don't make Deutschmacher. I have seen that brand advertised here in New England in Shaw's Super Markets. Have not seen them in their stores.. 
    pookie1203
    Junior Burger
    Re:Deutschmacher Brand Frankfurters 2009/07/11 17:28:10 (permalink)
     CHELSEA, MA, May 20 (MARKET WIRE) --
    Kayem Foods today reached an agreement to acquire the Jordan's,
    Deutschmacher, Kirschner, Essem, Tasty Bite and Willams of Vermont brands
    from Tyson Foods.  This agreement gives Kayem Foods ownership of all trademarks
    associated with these well-known New England brands and the ability to market
    them to existing and new customers.

"Kayem Foods is a worthy steward for these important brands and the
    traditions they have created," says Ray Monkiewicz, President and CEO of
    Kayem Foods Inc.  "Like Kayem, these brands began as corner meat markets and
    matured into providers of delicious authentic meat products using the highest
    quality standards. We are working hard to create a seamless transition with
    Tyson
    and our retail partners to ensure continued availability for consumers across
    New
    England who cherish these brands."

Kayem, which will celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2009, manufactures
    the#1 brand of franks sold in New England (Kayem). Best known for their Old Tyme
    Natural Casing franks, Kayem produces over 120 varieties of hot dogs and 320
    varieties of deli meats, sausage and dinner hams under the Kayem, al fresco,
    Schonland's, McKenzie, Triple M, Genoa, DeCosta and Meisterchef brands.

Kayem Foods, Inc. is the largest meat processor in New England, making
    over400 products across seven brand names. The privately held and operated
    company has
    been owned and operated by the same family since 1909. Kayem Foods offers the
    best of both worlds -- "Old World" flavor and "New World" quality and freshness.

For more information, visit the Kayem website at www.kayem.com.
    David_NYC
    Re:Deutschmacher Brand Frankfurters 2009/07/12 05:06:41 (permalink)
    Pookie, Kayem must still be making Deutschmacher. I recently saw them in a supermarket somewhere north east of NYC. The June 2009 issue of Boston magazine mentions Deutschmacher is still one of Kayem's product lines:
    http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/dispatch_building_a_better_wiener/page1
    With so many zombie brands, Kayem may not be able to get all of their brands into all market areas in the Northeast. That may be the case in your local Shaw's. For the last several years, I have it found it fairly easy to get Deutschmacher in supermarkets in a line from western Massachusetts and heading south through Connecticut all the way to Long Island Sound. Price Chopper is one supermarket that caries them. Shaw's goes all the way down to Darien, CT. I may have seen them there as well.

Have you looked for them in the Service Deli department? Some supermarket chains have them next to the Oscar Meyer franks in the meat or dairy departments, while others sell them loose in the Service Deli department.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Deutschmacher Brand Frankfurters 2009/07/12 06:53:07 (permalink)
    Where's the Roadfood content?
    brickie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    Re:Deutschmacher Brand Frankfurters 2009/07/12 08:46:04 (permalink)
    I get em at the Big Y market in Killingly,Ct.
    David_NYC
    Re:Deutschmacher Brand Frankfurters 2009/07/12 12:13:05 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

Where's the Roadfood content?

There may be some Roadfood places that still use them. Regular patrons may want to know they are still made, and that any brand switches were made voluntarily by restaurants. This thread was started in June, 2007 while the brand was still owned by someone else.
    post edited by David_NYC - 2009/07/12 12:21:43
    David_NYC
    Re:Deutschmacher Brand Frankfurters 2009/07/13 02:43:13 (permalink)
    There were Deutschmacher franks served at a picnic I attended today in Stratford, CT. According to the hosts, they are available at all Stratford Stop and Shop's, Shaw's and Big Y.
    pookie1203
    Junior Burger
    Re:Deutschmacher Brand Frankfurters 2009/07/13 09:57:40 (permalink)
    Thank to all of you for the information about  Deutschmacher franks.. I saw tham advertised in this weeks Shaw's flyer. Couldn't find them in the store. I live in New Hampshire, just over the Mass. line..
    wiredcur
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Deutschmacher Brand Frankfurters 2009/08/17 13:41:43 (permalink)
    I was just in Upstate NY (Albany) and I had to get them from the Deli.

I'm actually from MD and I just sent a message to Kayem to see how far I need to travel to find a store that sell Deutschmacher Brand franks.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:Deutschmacher Brand Frankfurters 2009/08/17 15:29:29 (permalink)
    Moved to Misc- Food Related Forum
    David_NYC
    Re:Deutschmacher Brand Frankfurters 2009/08/17 16:14:35 (permalink)
    wiredcur

I was just in Upstate NY (Albany) and I had to get them from the Deli.

I'm actually from MD and I just sent a message to Kayem to see how far I need to travel to find a store that sell Deutschmacher Brand franks.

In the past, I have bought Deutschmacher at Massachusetts branches of Schenectady-based Price Chopper supermarkets.  I don't know if PC also sells them in their markets west of the Hudson.
    John Fox has indicated Deutschmacher are available in Stop & Shop supermarkets in New Jersey.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1