Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing!

Author
wewantdifara
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
2007/06/07 15:46:55 (permalink)

Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing!

THIS IS NO JOKE...

The legendary Di Fara is having a really tough time with the DOH, and it looks like they may force Dom to retire. Please show your support!

27 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18489
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/07 17:11:13 (permalink)
    Make them clean up the place. That's all it will take.
    wewantdifara
    Junior Burger
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/07 17:44:17 (permalink)
    They have. The DOH closed them this last time because of an open window. They are making an example out of Dom. For what I gather no matter what they do, it is not good enough.
    David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/07 18:01:18 (permalink)
    This is the latest high profile restaurant closing after the New York City Department of Health got heat for not closing down the rat-infested KFC-Taco Bell in Greenwich Village.

Here is the link to the New York Daily News:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/06/06/2007-06-06_its_a_pizza_bad_news_for_brooklyn.html

According to the Daily News, one of the gigs is for "failing to pass a food prep class". One of the best pizza makers in the city. But the people who prepare Domino's pizza have a certificate. Go figger.
    wewantdifara
    Junior Burger
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/07 18:07:02 (permalink)
    Apparently Dom took the class, but it was a few days after the required 60 day timeline. Whatever the case, the only alternative can not be to close down this landmark.

Dom and The DOH need to know that his fans still support him. He worked very hard to get to where he is today, and he earned it.

FrankBooth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/07 18:17:15 (permalink)
    Yes, this is a crying shame, but Dom has had many "cleanliness" issues over the years. the place is a pig stye, though indeed he does make the best pies in nyc. it's a shame to see the DOH make an example out of him, but indeed he has been flaunting no gloves when handling food, never washes his hands, handles money and pizza in the same moment, garbage cans overflowing, tables covered in detritus from all the pizza eating, rarely cleaned, they had to paint the place to get the grime off the walls. i have been eating at Difara since long before all the hype and the covers of the village voice and though he makes some amazing pies, he literally needs to clean up his act. and i don't see it happening any time soon, DOH school course or not. let us just say goodbye to a great thing and all drive to new haven to eat at sally's more often... enjoy fb
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/07 18:20:12 (permalink)
    Recruiting again for the Consiglios? I didn't know they needed it. How about boosting business for The Spot.
    wewantdifara
    Junior Burger
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/07 18:22:50 (permalink)
    Valid points, BUT...I dont think Dom should be forced out by the DOH, not this way. He has served and served the public for forty years. And this last year and not been good to him and his family, with the De Marco's incident and some other issues. He was alos just honored at the Brooklyn State of the State Address.

So if Paris Hilton gets a get out of jail early card, then Dom doesn't have to wear a hat. Again, IMHO.
    cornfed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 344
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/07 18:29:51 (permalink)
    Notice that these are not corporate places they are now closing down. This is absolutely awful. There should be a protest in front of the store and in front of the DOH. They closed John's down for awhile because a sink was in the wrong place. Madon! DOH, indeed. There's the new NY for you.

Here's another article:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/07/nyregion/07pizza.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
    David_NYC
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/07 18:40:25 (permalink)
    I never worried about getting sick from the pizza there. Dom runs his ovens so hot he can almost incinerate medical waste in them.

To resolve the issue, it seems to me there is going to have to be a meeting of the minds with both the Health Department and the De Marco family bending a bit.
    wewantdifara
    Junior Burger
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/07 19:08:22 (permalink)
    A Meeting should be happening tomorrow, and look on CBS 2 for a story tonight.

David_NYC
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/07 23:51:52 (permalink)
    The story about Di Fara on CBS 2 must have been preempted by the news flash that Paris Hilton has to appear in court again tomorrow morning.

Look, you can't get any R12 to charge your old air conditioning system and you can't operate a fat rendering plant in Long Island City anymore like Van Iderstine did and you can't get any TCE to clean your car parts with anymore and you can't get any leaded gas for your old car anymore. You have to comply with the new codes.
    dholk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/08 08:21:16 (permalink)
    quote:

Look, you can't get any R12 to charge your old air conditioning system and you can't operate a fat rendering plant in Long Island City anymore like Van Iderstine did and you can't get any TCE to clean your car parts with anymore and you can't get any leaded gas for your old car anymore. You have to comply with the new codes.

I think you pretty much nailed it.

The place is legendary and the guy is a master pizza maker no doubt, but he's got to follow the rules. I can also certainly understand the arguments that "Its always been like this" and "Nobody gets sick", those are absolutely true.

I think supporters should voice their concern over what the DOH is doing.

At the same time, I think Mr. Demarco needs to go ahead and just do what is required to comply with the DOH for now. Even if he doesn't want to do it, he could get other folks to do it. Maybe some of the really hardcore Difara fans can come together and help him do whatever needs to be done.

I've never tried Difara pizza, but I hope there still around for me to try next time I'm in New York.

wewantdifara
    Junior Burger
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/08 09:53:16 (permalink)
    that is exactly what we have been trying to do with The Di Fara Initiative, by contacting local media, The DOH, and our Borough President.

With that said, you are 100% correct about compliance, to which they were, but the main help Dom has is going through a health matter, and he lost track. But in no way is it what the media claims, rats ect. That I know for a fact.
    notchit
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/08 10:33:53 (permalink)
    Here a link to another story about this:

http://eater.com/archives/2007/06/breaking_di_far.php
    FrankBooth
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/08 10:37:06 (permalink)
    i'm sorry, but Dom has had rat, or maybe mice, problems in the past. i have personally seen a rat run across his feet as he was making my pie- now you could argue that this is nyc and there are rats and mice everywhere (all the construction on my block in brooklyn has caused them all to flee into my home kitchen- i have lots of glue traps though...), but he still has an obligation to try and mitigate the problem- i.e. clean the place every once in a while, get working air conditioner (in the summertime- no AC in there, pizza ovens on 5 million, doors wide open, trash cans overflowing, tables dirty and floor dirty, counters dirty, handling money and food, no gloves, no hat, refrigerators are sweating, customers are sweating- how could this be good for food storage?). Difara is my absolute favorite pie in town (i grew up in new haven eating sal's and pepe's), and Dom has always been great to me (i've been a customer long before the fame), but his children need to step up and help the man get his business up to code and clean enough for the 21st century. and don't think those pizza ovens kill everything at high temperatures- nothing kills the bacteria on those surfaces, the rat droppings, the cheese he grates by hand and puts on cold at the end, the boxes with fiore di late sitting on the counter unrefrigerated- cheese does not thrive like this, etc. i for one would be thrilled to see the health dept. force Dom to get his act together- i love eating there and maybe i wouldn't feel quite as, shall we say, queasy as i have many times after one of Dom's pies. sated, satisfied, and queasy... i especially love the green olive pies, but they sit and stew in that giant vat on top of the counter right next to the oven all day, then they aren't even cooked (he used to cook them, now he just throws them on raw at the end, blech)... MUCH LUCK to the DeMarco family!!! may they be making clean, fresh, delicious pies again soon. if they got their act together maybe i'd go back and have one of Dom's incredible super snarky veal parm's sometime!!! boy do i miss those... and the soups- wow- steaming hot piles of escarole, cecci, garlic!!!

p.s. i'll shill for the consiglio's any day- Flo is the MASTAH!!! the spot is pretty spectacular too though... and fairfield pepe's is great in it's own way also...
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/08 11:10:46 (permalink)
    "Get Saved at Difara's" (Call me crazy, but it looks like he burned the crust.) pb

http://www.amateurgourmet.com/the_amateur_gourmet/2007/05/get_saved_at_di.html
    wewantdifara
    Junior Burger
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/08 13:14:10 (permalink)
    I AM A BELIEVER.

THERE ARE PIZZERIAS UP AND DOWN THE STREETS OF BROOKLYN AND NOT ONE PIZZAIOLI, IF EVEN ONE,HAS A HAT OR GLOVES ON.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/08 13:42:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by FrankBooth

i'll shill for the consiglio's any day- Flo is the MASTAH!!! the spot is pretty spectacular too though... and fairfield pepe's is great in it's own way also...

I knew you were a shill.

Years ago, when I lived in New Haven, I used to hit The Spot more often than any other place. Of course, back then The Spot was down an alley off Wooster Street, and it was furnished with mismatched (and wobbly) dinette-type tables and chairs.
    dholk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/08 13:51:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wewantdifara

I AM A BELIEVER.

THERE ARE PIZZERIAS UP AND DOWN THE STREETS OF BROOKLYN AND NOT ONE PIZZAIOLI, IF EVEN ONE,HAS A HAT OR GLOVES ON.

Of course the trick now is to resolve this without having the DOH shut down everybody else who is not wearing gloves and hats...

It seems pretty obvious that the DOH are picking on Difara, but they are picking on them because of all the previous violations.

If they shut down ALL the real pizzerias, NY'ers will be in the same boat a lot of the counry is in, a sea of Domino's and Pizza Huts.
    wewantdifara
    Junior Burger
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/08 15:45:07 (permalink)
    yikes...that brings chills to me. he is the last of that generation. for an interesting twist on this whole debate, go to eater.com.

the movement for dom is up and running. dont forget to sign the petition!
    David_NYC
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/08 21:09:02 (permalink)
    All of Dom's friends who post pictures to all those pizza fan sites showing him handling already cooked foods with bare hands, not wearing a chef's hat, etc. are doing the same thing to him that the freelance videographer did to the KFC-Taco Bell in Greenwich Village - documenting violations.

They ought to Photoshop all those Di Fara pictures, putting in gloves, screens on windows, chef hats, covers on light fixtures, all in software. Even put a framed image of the food safety course diploma on the wall in software.
    wewantdifara
    Junior Burger
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/09 06:38:22 (permalink)
    no way....i think the charm of di fara is how authentic the place is. going and updating everything is a mistake. in the past he was celebrated for his simplicity and neighborhood authenticity. now he is being chastised. the bitterness of fame i guess.
    eggsactley
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/09 08:19:00 (permalink)
    Ever since the KFC/Taco Bell debacle the DOH has been on the warpath...ask anyone in the biz. Some of the violations are for the most minor infractions. Seems they have gone zero tolerance on everything. For example Dom's fresh herbs growing in the window are illegal. I blame Dom's kids. His daughter had no problem cashing in on the family name when she opened De Marco's in the Village. What would it take for one of them to come from behind the counter and empty the garbage a couple of times a day? I have gone as far as bussing the tables there myself while waiting for a pie then facing an already full garbage can with what I took off the tables. Hopefully this will be resolved but with the current city administrations unprecidented interest in what we New Yorkers eat I doubt if it will.
    wewantdifara
    Junior Burger
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/09 15:27:09 (permalink)
    they are all minor infractions. forget the no gloves/hat nonsense. someone is out to get him. the DOH has never paid this much attention to anyone. the online petition is growing as is support for the myspace page, which i cannot link to. but i can tell you it ends in /wewantdifara. i think. anyway, the people will prevail.
    FrankBooth
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/09 17:04:10 (permalink)
    the no gloves/hat infraction would feel a lot better if i ever saw him wash his hands- one time- in the 15 years i've been eating there. unless you think that all those singles he stuffs into the register are sanitized... please don't let your love for difara cloud your judgement- that please needs a serious cleanup- on many levels. just think about all the lesser pizza places that are able to keep clean and stay open by following the rules. the rules are there to help us, the consumer, stay healthy. and i know i would enjoy Dom's pizza much more if i didn't think i was risking a rough night after eating there... the kids can do this for him, they just really need to step up to the plate... enjoy fb
    David_NYC
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/09 19:07:38 (permalink)
    I think that the takeout part of the DeMarco's restaurant in Manhattan is still open. Not shut down by the health department. Maybe they need to hire another pizza maker while the regular guy takes his annual June vacation. I hear a guy named Dom is available right now.
    notchit
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Di Fara Pizzeria of Brooklyn in danger of closing! 2007/06/12 16:13:08 (permalink)
    Looks like Di Fara will be opening back up this week:

http://gothamist.com/2007/06/11/family_says_di.php
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1