Diabetic desserts (mail order).HELP!!

Author
Nemis
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
2006/04/01 09:31:25 (permalink)

Diabetic desserts (mail order).HELP!!

Hello,
Really need everyones help, was thinking of mail ordering a dessert for Easter as a peace offering... Haven't talked to this person in 13 years and can't really ask the person what he can and cannot have etc. I'm totally in the dark about what is necessary for the diabetics diet.
I see any sugarfree things but is it sugarfree due to the " carb diet " craze or sugarfree geared especially for Diabetics??
Much help is appricated!!

7 Replies Related Threads

joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Diabetic desserts (mail order).HELP!! 2006/04/01 10:31:27 (permalink)
    Actually, sugar and carbs are interlinked. If a product is low in refined sugar but high in carbs, it can be a poor choice for a diabetic patient. Some of the so-called sugar-free choices are loaded with sugar alcohols, and these can affect glucose levels and also cause gastrointestinal distress (gas!) for some people. And frankly, a lot of this stuff tastes like crap! I occasionally eat it, but it has a "Frankenfood" taste.

If your friend can eat some fresh fruit (berries are fairly low in sugar), I'd suggest something like that with fresh whipped cream made with Splenda. It's healthy, it tastes great, and it shouldn't mess up glucose levels.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3143
    RE: Diabetic desserts (mail order).HELP!! 2006/04/01 13:39:04 (permalink)
    I'm a diabetic and I also work with diabetics. joanie41 couldn't be more correct. Well meaning people often purchase sweets labeled "sugar-free" thinking that's Ok; it's certainly not. Carbs, carbs and carbs need to be watched very closely. There are quite a few great recipe sites that can be googled. Many items made with small amounts of sugar are often much healthier than much of what I see labeled "sugar-free". Just type in "low carb dessert & recipe". The sugar substitute home pages also have some good recipes. A home made low carb angelfood cake might be something welcome with that fresh fruit and whipped cream. I'm happy for your idea of a peace offering and I hope you can fill us in. Life is too short.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3143
    RE: Diabetic desserts (mail order).HELP!! 2006/04/01 13:54:38 (permalink)
    Oops sorry but I just noticed the header stating mail-order. I did a quick Google search and turned up this http://www.sweetstreet.com/fproduct.asp/catalog%5Fname/Desserts+Catalog/category%5Fname/999%5F101%5FCremeBrulee%5FNewProduct/product%5Fid/Category
    I've never ordered from there; heck I never heard of them but that looks mighty tasty to me. I hope your long lost friend realizes that dessert sounds high in calories but that's what is called for it seems!
    scott123
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Diabetic desserts (mail order).HELP!! 2006/04/01 15:45:53 (permalink)
    If you can't talk to him to find out his food requirements, don't bring him food. From the diabetics that I've spoken to, there is no one single approach to eating. Low fat/low carb is popular, but there are still many diabetics that subscribe to the outdated sugar free way of eating. Low carb/high fat (Atkins) has a small following. There's also diabetics that eat everything in sensible amounts. Some medicate their way through less sensible eating. Lastly, you have some diabetics that just don't care and eat whatever they darn well please. As you can see there is no one single approach. For a person with food issues, a poorly chosen food gift can be disastrous. I wouldn't risk it.

Bring a non food gift, make your peace, renew your friendship and learn about his approach to food. Once you know him well enough again, then you can buy him treats.
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Diabetic desserts (mail order).HELP!! 2006/04/01 16:16:57 (permalink)
    Very good points, Scott. You are correct when you point out that food can be a "charged" issue -- look at all the heated discussions on these forums!!

When I worked at the DM clinic, we saw all different types of eating, and the philosophy was "if it aint broke, don't fix it". I had patients who followed Atkins and successfully lowered their BG levels, and I had patients who ate what they wanted and relied on meds. (not recommended, but there are a lot of DM patients who won't change their eating habits...)

So, yeah, maybe a plant or so other non-offensive non-food item!
    Nemis
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Diabetic desserts (mail order).HELP!! 2006/04/01 16:56:02 (permalink)
    Everyone has a very good point...i will take everything into careful consideration.
    Thank you so much!!

EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2876
    RE: Diabetic desserts (mail order).HELP!! 2006/04/04 04:55:08 (permalink)
    I am diabetic, but can splurge on occasion depending on my health. If someone gives me tempting sweets when I am having to be good, it can make me cry. if someone gives me diabetic food, it feels like they are nagging me. You can't win.

Even a ham or a cheese basket is problematic if they have heart problems.

A nice fruit basket is the only thing that might work if they are not older.

A heartfelt letter is probably the best option. If the rift has lasted that long, ANY gift could be wrong ("Apples? They think they can fix this with apples???")

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1