Hot!Diablo Sandwich / "Diablo & Doc" From Smokey & the Bandit, Identified!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
shadeone
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:Diablo Sandwich / "Diablo & Doc" From Smokey & the Bandit, Identified! 2014/12/31 12:47:38 (permalink)
Actually. I do believe it is Hunt's now. I have finally found the missing link after hours and hours of looking through vintage ads and historical ketchup references.

Every damn bottle of Hunts in ANY from the early 50s until the 70s looked identical to this one:

But I stumbled across this one from 1972 and you can clearly see the arced top to the border around the main body label! Im assuming that the neck label changed a tiny bit from 1972 to 1977.

Mystery solved!
Heartbreaksoup
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
Re:Diablo Sandwich / "Diablo & Doc" From Smokey & the Bandit, Identified! 2015/01/06 13:35:54 (permalink)
Almost the entirety of Smokey & the Bandit was filmed on location in Georgia, mostly within about an hour from Atlanta.  There is a remarkable page full of details about the filming at atlantatimemachine.com, but unfortunately the site is only sporadically available.  Its creator and owner, the awesome Greg Germani, was very seriously injured on his bike last year and so updates and regular site access will be quite a long ways off.  You can visit them on Facebook, though:

https://www.facebook.com/AtlantaTimeMachine

But yes, the Diablo sandwich scene was shot at the Forest Park Old Hickory House, one of (then) about twenty locations of the chain.  Today, there is only one OHH left in Atlanta (Tucker) and one in Charlotte which has a review here at Roadfood.  I'm not sure what other cities had one.

Very good detective work finding those old menus.  We used to visit the OHH on Cobb Pkwy - it's been a Mongolian BBQ place called Jade Palace for decades - quite often in the late 1970s/early 1980s so I remember the look of that menu well.  Of course, that was long before I learned to like barbecue, and I'd usually have a cheeseburger, which was far better than you'd think, and, as Old Hickory House dwindled and deteriorated, was probably a better option than the barbecue.

Maybe I should visit the Tucker OHH, for old time's sake.
shadeone
Junior Burger
Re:Diablo Sandwich / "Diablo & Doc" From Smokey & the Bandit, Identified! 2015/01/06 15:12:45 (permalink)
This decent article on Old Hickory House has a good listing of most of the former locations:

If you go visit the Tucker one, ask some of the older looking folks if they know anyone who would have worked at the Forest Park one! :)
Heartbreaksoup
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
Re:Diablo Sandwich / "Diablo & Doc" From Smokey & the Bandit, Identified! 2015/01/07 08:57:14 (permalink)
Shadeone, afraid you haven't made enough posts to unlock the link-posting privilege.  Might this be the article that you were looking for?

http://www.tonetoatl.com/...old-hickory-house.html
shadeone
Junior Burger
Re:Diablo Sandwich / "Diablo & Doc" From Smokey & the Bandit, Identified! 2015/01/07 09:36:19 (permalink)
That would be it! Thanks!
ebertelson
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Diablo Sandwich / "Diablo & Doc" From Smokey & the Bandit, Identified! 2015/01/14 16:24:14 (permalink)
This is AWESOME!!!  I grew up in Stone Mountain in the 70s where some of the movie was filmed (the funeral precession outside of Redan Elementary school) and my neighbor purchased one of the stunt TAs used in the movie.  CMT played the edited version last night (which I always hate, but don't have it on disc and the kids were watching it with me) but they had a cute blond on doing the dinner and a movie thing for the Diablo sandwich.  While I agree with your substantial research and logic, she presented the Mexican sloppy joe version with ground beef, taco mix, corn, and tomato paste.  She did mention that others have substituted ground pork or spicy sausage and jalapeños which would step it up a notch or three.  I'm going to try the beef version for the kids tonight and see how it comes out.  I'll have to run to Kroger to get some Dr. P before dinner.  Take care and keep up the good work!
shadeone
Junior Burger
Re: Diablo Sandwich / "Diablo & Doc" From Smokey & the Bandit, Identified! 2015/01/14 16:43:45 (permalink)
You still got your neighbors contact information? Its been confirmed by more than a couple that all three Trans Ams used in the movie went straight to the crusher after filming. They abused the cars so much that they had to pull parts from the cars to keep the other ones running and that bridge jump shot pretty much totaled the last one ;)
shadeone
Junior Burger
Re: Diablo Sandwich / "Diablo & Doc" From Smokey & the Bandit, Identified! 2015/02/14 14:40:29 (permalink)
Ladies and gentlemen, I have a new discovery for you all.

I had originally thought that the hot sauce in the movie was Trappey's Indi-Pep because the background pattern design on the movie bottle matched Trappey's current background design on their Indi-Pep bottle. However, I stumbled across a 1974 Trappeys ad that features the movie bottle in question with a full front image:

It turns out that its Trappey's "Mexi-Pep" variant and even according to the ad, it goes good with BBQ!

With this new hot sauce discovery and the previous Hunts Catsup discovery, I have updated the meal picture in my original post. For those wondering, pulled pork slathered in the Mexi-Pep hot sauce, washed down with a cane sugar Dr Pepper... is absolutely delicious!

Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 970
Re: Diablo Sandwich / "Diablo & Doc" From Smokey & the Bandit, Identified! 2015/02/18 17:35:58 (permalink)
If“diablo” originally came from the reference to food being prepared in the fashion known as deviling ( “deviled”),  then that might also say something about the sandwich. 
Particularly if the sandwich was not a new type of sandwich at the time of the movie.

Diablé or deviled ...
Traditionally deviled is having a coating of often mustard, vinegar and spices, often cayenne ... and when speciifically applied to meat it is then grilled. (like on a barbque grill, not on a griddle).  This is a more modern (post 1900 or so) meaning.
That ingredient combination, btw, is of course what is found in Deviled Eggs .... mustard (which also contains vinegar ... or if dry mustard, then mustard plus vinegar) ...  and cayenne pepper sprinkled over the top for color and taste. 

Going back to the 1700’s deviling or deviled appears to have meant served with a hot spicy sauce or just spicy.

In the 1860’s, the Underwood family made a chopped spiced ham product and dubbed the process “deviling” and so the additional concept of the meat being in a chopped state was added. 
In the movie, the diablo sandwich would appear to be shredded or chopped (rather than ground) in the photos you posted ... look closely at the pics of Gleason with both hands on the sandwich and having just taken a bite.

SO ... I’m going to go out on a limb and propose that the sandwich is *not* related to something like sloppy joes ... but instead a shredded pork sandwich where the pork had a mustard/vinegar and spices coating and then roasted or cooked on a (bbq) grill, then shredded.   And ... in the way that some barbque sandwiches are done ... I’ll go further out on a limb and say then it is mixed with Mexi-pep or some similar combination and then served on the bun.

Just my 2cents.
post edited by Sonny Funzio - 2015/02/18 17:38:48
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 970
Re: Diablo Sandwich / "Diablo & Doc" From Smokey & the Bandit, Identified! 2015/02/18 18:01:46 (permalink)
About the likely sauce ... from an old, Old Hickory House menu ...

"Since 1952 folks from all over Georgia have been coming to Old Hickory House for world famous barbeque.  We slowly roast the meats over real hickory logs until we get a perfect combination of flavor and juicy tenderness.  Then we serve it with our special BBQ sauce made from a recipe that's been handed down for three generations.  OHH makes the same promise with it's meats, we serve Fresh Market Barbeque, nothing canned or frozen and the freshest possible product."

(courtesy of the Wayback Machine)
post edited by Sonny Funzio - 2015/02/18 18:14:42
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1
-->