Dietz & Watson NY Style Hot Dogs

Author
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 315
2009/01/20 07:55:25 (permalink)

Dietz & Watson NY Style Hot Dogs

I just bought a pack of these hot dogs in NH and they were great! It is a natural casing beef dog that is about 4 inches longer than the standard hot dog roll. I steamed them using a 50/50 water to American Larger solution & cooked them in a bamboo steamer until the hot dog looked dry.
The dog provides a wonderful snap when bitten into. I had my standard toppings of yellow mustard, relish & Texas Pete's to top it off.

16 Replies Related Threads

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:Dietz & Watson NY Style Hot Dogs 2010/06/01 12:51:27 (permalink)
    I decided to try Dietz & Watson - a premium brand for hotdogs. Holy crap are these fatty, greasy wieners. Yuck!

I flat grill all hotdogs. It's how a hotdog should be cooked. I'm not a dirty water fan.

These things are plump full of fat, which turns into liquid grease. A lot of it. I'lve had less grease come off a sausage patty than this hotdog. The remaining hotdog was gritty and tough. 

I buy hotdogs at grocery stores so rarely, because I grew up in Syracuse and love Hofmann franks and coneys, which I can get at Wegmans, when I go there - which isn't often since its an hour away. Or, when I'm in my native land, I'll get Meier & Ranz. I refuse to eat ballpark, oscar mayer, etc. So, I've seen the Dietz and Watson in the deli dept and decided, what the heck, I've done Nathans and Hebrew National, so this should be somewhere in that neighborhood. Well, it was not. When the dog split so much grease came out, I decided to give a fork prick to another spot, and the grease spurted out - a lot of grease. This is just wrong. It's not an italian sausage, it's a hot dog, that much grease is gross. The hot dog I didn't prick was so fatty I couldn't eat it. The one I pricked was gritty in texture, chewy, still greasy, but beefy in flavor -when you got passed the grease.

Big thumbs down on Dietz & Watson NY Hot Dogs. Their deli meats are generally good, so this was an unexpected disappointment.

post edited by Scorereader - 2010/06/01 12:54:21
    Matt Gleason
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 689
    Re:Dietz & Watson NY Style Hot Dogs 2010/06/01 18:44:26 (permalink)
    I tried DW natural casings once, they were rather thin and long like a Sabrett.  Not too fatty.

Did you get the skinless version?
    John Fox
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2339
    Re:Dietz & Watson NY Style Hot Dogs 2010/06/01 19:22:08 (permalink)
    These dogs (all beef) come in an 8 to a lb size and a larger size. Not sure, but I think the larger ones are 4 to a lb. The 8's are more common. These are the EXACT same dogs packaged and sold as Black Bear in Shop Rites. They also make a beef/pork dog.

Near me the Black Bear are often on sale. In fact I've got some at home. I had one yesterday along with a Hebrew National and a Best. The Black Bear (Dietz and Watson) was the only one sampled yesterday with a casing. I like this dog. It has a good flavor with less spice than Best's or Hebrew National. I usually simmer in water and cook on the grill outside. I've had this dog on the griddle and there is a lot of grease. Definitely more fat content than other dogs. It doesn't bother me as it adds flavor. But simmering in water and grilling (not on a griddle) cuts down on the grease.

I like that this dog is easily available in a natural casing form at Shop Rite. It's a quality dog that's on sale often. It was my favorite beef dog years ago. Then either my tastes changed or they tweaked the recipe. My guess is that the recipe is the same. There are 2 people I work with who used to eat only Best and Sabrett. After trying Black Bear at Shop Rite, they've stopped buying other brands. Another frank that has a wide range of opinions.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:Dietz & Watson NY Style Hot Dogs 2010/06/02 23:30:52 (permalink)
    I almost thought I had to recind my above post when I went to Harris Teeter today, only to see Boar's Head meats in the deli - then I was thinking "gee, did I buy Boars Head and not D&W?" But alas, Harris Teeter turned over to Boar's Head this week (two days ago).  So, it was D&W I bought last week.

Maybe I'll give the Boar's Head dogs a try. I generally think Boar's Head offers some better meats, especially in the Ham, bologna and  cured meat depts.  I'll definately be checking out the samples over time.

post edited by Scorereader - 2010/06/03 09:55:46
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    Re:Dietz & Watson NY Style Hot Dogs 2010/06/02 23:54:59 (permalink)
    wmceaton

I just bought a pack of these hot dogs in NH and they were great! It is a natural casing beef dog that is about 4 inches longer than the standard hot dog roll. I steamed them using a 50/50 water to American Larger solution & cooked them in a bamboo steamer until the hot dog looked dry.
    The dog provides a wonderful snap when bitten into. I had my standard toppings of yellow mustard, relish & Texas Pete's to top it off.

Never heard of anyone cooking Hot Dogs in a Bamboo Steamer. Who woulda thought!
    Let's give it a name:
    Kung Pao Weenie?
    Dim Sum Doggie?
    Won Ton Weenie?
    Sweet and Sour Bow Wower!
    Yet's go you fertile minded Foodies- Give it a name
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/06/02 23:56:16
    Matt Gleason
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Dietz & Watson NY Style Hot Dogs 2010/06/03 18:24:34 (permalink)
    Ching Chow Bow Wow
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    Re:Dietz & Watson NY Style Hot Dogs 2010/06/03 18:31:29 (permalink)
    beef chow down dog.. uh that stinks!!lol
    Matt Gleason
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Dietz & Watson NY Style Hot Dogs 2010/06/03 18:38:20 (permalink)
    Wang Doodle Poodle
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4544
    Re:Dietz & Watson NY Style Hot Dogs 2010/06/03 21:03:43 (permalink)
    Scorereader

I almost thought I had to recind my above post when I went to Harris Teeter today, only to see Boar's Head meats in the deli - then I was thinking "gee, did I buy Boars Head and not D&W?" But alas, Harris Teeter turned over to Boar's Head this week (two days ago).  So, it was D&W I bought last week.

Maybe I'll give the Boar's Head dogs a try. I generally think Boar's Head offers some better meats, especially in the Ham, bologna and  cured meat depts.  I'll definately be checking out the samples over time.

Score, I have had the Boars Head All Beef, excellent dog.  Dirty water or grilled!

ALRUI
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:Dietz & Watson NY Style Hot Dogs 2011/05/31 11:51:17 (permalink)
    I tried these the other day just to find out for myself & while I didnt find these dogs overly greasy (I grilled some in a cast iron pan & some on the gas grill outdoors) I was not impressed. Considering they have a natural casing they were lacking "snap" and the dog itself seemed mushy to me. I dont be buying them again - the quest is still on for a quality dog in Western North Carolina....
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    Re:Dietz & Watson NY Style Hot Dogs 2011/05/31 12:49:59 (permalink)
    ALRUI

I tried these the other day just to find out for myself & while I didnt find these dogs overly greasy (I grilled some in a cast iron pan & some on the gas grill outdoors) I was not impressed. Considering they have a natural casing they were lacking "snap" and the dog itself seemed mushy to me. I dont be buying them again - the quest is still on for a quality dog in Western North Carolina....

I agree, nothing to write home about. Hmmm...western NC.  Used to spend summers in Burnsville, decades ago. Try Li'l Smoky's on main street. They used to make a hell of a footlong with the works. I googled and they're still there!!!!!
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    Re:Dietz & Watson NY Style Hot Dogs 2011/05/31 13:02:30 (permalink)
    alrui----anything would be mushy going throught the mountains to get to MURPHY.  Nice town but the trip is tough. 
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:Dietz & Watson NY Style Hot Dogs 2011/05/31 14:33:16 (permalink)
    Funny reading this old(ish) thread. I had almost forgot about my D&W experience - which was a year ago this past weekend, then I posted about it on 6/1.

I mentioned Wegmans, at that time, being an hour drive away. Well, just a couple months later, a new Wegman's opened under 20mins away AND sits adjacent to a Costco. Woodmere town Center near Landover, MD. I park in between the two and hit Costco, then Wegmans.

Now-a-days, Harris Teeter is the "I'll pick that (small item) up" place on the way home from work, rather than my weekly grocery store.  So, I never got to try the Boar's Head, as I've been eating Hofmann's Brand Franks and Coneys (white snappies) since then.

My, what a difference a year makes!
    ALRUI
    Junior Burger
    Re:Dietz & Watson NY Style Hot Dogs 2011/06/16 00:47:04 (permalink)
    Hi Lee, Burnsville is actually about 2.5 hours east of me, Im EXTREME western NC:-) I'll remember that place though - thanks!
    ALRUI
    Junior Burger
    Re:Dietz & Watson NY Style Hot Dogs 2011/06/16 00:47:56 (permalink)
    the ancient mariner

alrui----anything would be mushy going throught the mountains to get to MURPHY.  Nice town but the trip is tough. 

Hmmm maybe thats what happened to em:-)
    SeamusD
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1026
    Re:Dietz & Watson NY Style Hot Dogs 2011/06/16 09:46:01 (permalink)
    Scorereader

Funny reading this old(ish) thread. I had almost forgot about my D&W experience - which was a year ago this past weekend, then I posted about it on 6/1.

I mentioned Wegmans, at that time, being an hour drive away. Well, just a couple months later, a new Wegman's opened under 20mins away AND sits adjacent to a Costco. Woodmere town Center near Landover, MD. I park in between the two and hit Costco, then Wegmans.

Now-a-days, Harris Teeter is the "I'll pick that (small item) up" place on the way home from work, rather than my weekly grocery store.  So, I never got to try the Boar's Head, as I've been eating Hofmann's Brand Franks and Coneys (white snappies) since then.

My, what a difference a year makes!

Living in Syracuse, Hofmann's is about the only hot dog I'll eat. It's not even local bias because I've had hot dogs all over the country, they're just the best I've found anywhere, and I'm lucky enough to have them readily available (and my buddy works for Hofmann's). In my opinion, anyway.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1