The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Diner Prices

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3667
Diner Prices Sat, 05/24/08 4:51 PM (permalink)
Yesterday, I took my five year old granddaughter and her best friend out to lunch. We went to a diner and it was so much fun. The little girls had decided to get dressed up to go out to dine and had on "glittery" and lacy tops over their dresses............They were so loaded down with "jewels" around their necks that they could barely walk. To add to their wonderful outfits, they sought out the most glittery handbags in the house and off we went to charm or shock the clientele.

We arrived well after the lunch hour and so the little ones were showed with compliments by all the waitress and the cashier. It was a good time for all until I took note of the prices. I always thought of a diner as being quite inexpensive but my hamburger with homemade chips was $6.79. The children's menu had quite a few selections............same price.....but included a beverage and ice cream.

This morning, my son took his son to the more modern diner next door and their bill came to twenty dollars without the tip. The grandson had pancakes and orange juice (kid's menu) and he had 2 eggs, sausage, toast, orange juice and coffee.

Are these the normal prices for diners around your neighborhood?

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
    RE: Diner Prices Sat, 05/24/08 5:14 PM (permalink)
    I do not know if you hit any of the Diners when you're in Daytona Beach Greymo but no, it's not that expensive here. However, like everything else their costs are increasing so who knows what the future will bring?

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1088
      RE: Diner Prices Sat, 05/24/08 9:31 PM (permalink)
      I live in Land of the Diners, so although some are a little more expensive to eat at, others are very reasonable. There's so much competition. The thing is, though, these days I only eat at two diners around here; one for breakfast with my man on Sunday that's literally right around the corner, and one for whatever (usually their dinner platters) that's a little further down the road apiece, but so worth it. I wish I could name prices right now, but considering I just paid $30 to NOT fill the tank, I can almost feel the menu prices changing like the gas prices...

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
        RE: Diner Prices Sat, 05/24/08 10:20 PM (permalink)
        This morning I ate at our local "50's" type diner. Taco Omelette with toast and coffee was 9 something, so almost $12.00 after a tip. I guess I hadn't even thought about it until just now, but that does seem like quite a bit.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
          RE: Diner Prices Sun, 05/25/08 12:44 AM (permalink)
          The mushroom omelet at my local diner/corner restaurant just went up a buck to $5.25 (with home fries and toast). Was surprised they kept the old price so long.

No Talent

• Total Posts: 262
            RE: Diner Prices Sun, 05/25/08 1:02 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Theedge

This morning I ate at our local "50's" type diner. Taco Omelette with toast and coffee was 9 something, so almost $12.00 after a tip. I guess I hadn't even thought about it until just now, but that does seem like quite a bit.

That's average for healthy economic areas. I see a lot of $10.95 omelets.

The two factors I see are, the property value where the diner sits
            and what they can get away with charging.

It seems like when one popular place creeps the price up, everyone figures they can get it too. some do, some close down.

I get irritated when I see a $12.95 omelet because it means that soon I won't be seeing the $8.95.

Tedbear

• Total Posts: 1832
              RE: Diner Prices Sun, 05/25/08 9:53 AM (permalink)

IIRC, my local diner charges $7.95 for a Spanish Omelette with a mountain of home fries and toast. One of the lower-priced dinner specials (like Soup + a large Spinach Pie + a huge portion of Greek Salad + Jello or pudding for dessert) is $10.95.

Truthfully, I don't know how all of this compares with diners in other parts of the country, but I don't think that this is excessive, given the good quality of the food and very generous portions. But, when all is said and done, the only alternative for a cheaper meal is to prepare it yourself at home.

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
                RE: Diner Prices Sun, 05/25/08 11:29 AM (permalink)
                We went to Waffle house. My steak and eggs were barely more thaen my wifes 2 eggs, sausage and toast as she had to pay ala carte foe home fries. I couldnt belive it but only the chops and steak and eggs came with potatoes.
                Tell me, whats a breakfast out with out hashbrowns or home fries?
                britt

Guilty One

• Total Posts: 204
                  RE: Diner Prices Sun, 05/25/08 10:17 PM (permalink)
                  Tedbear I can honestly say I have never seen Jello served in a restaurant.

Hospitals and Institutions, With every meal, but not real restaurants. Interesting.

Tedbear

• Total Posts: 1832
                    RE: Diner Prices Mon, 05/26/08 7:59 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Guilty One

Tedbear I can honestly say I have never seen Jello served in a restaurant.

Hospitals and Institutions, With every meal, but not real restaurants. Interesting.

In NJ diners, it is not unusual for the Specials of the day to include a limited number of desserts--typically only Jello or pudding. Sometimes there will be one other home-made dessert to choose from, but typically with these dinner specials, the dessert choices are usually limited to the cheapest ones that they can come up with. Truthfully, since the portions tend to be so large, I usually don't even take the dessert that is included.

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1088
                      RE: Diner Prices Mon, 05/26/08 6:45 PM (permalink)
                      I've gotten Jello plenty of times for dessert in a diner. This is usually if the only puddings offered are rice or tapioca. If it's chocolate, I get that. But I'll only get dessert if it's included with the platter. Those huge cakes in the rotating stands always look much better than they taste.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                        RE: Diner Prices Tue, 05/27/08 8:23 AM (permalink)
                        My partner and I had breakfast out Saturday, we had corned beef hash and toast (me) and a 1 egg mushroom omelette, hash browns, toast for partner. Cost for the 2 meals = $9.35 before tip of $3.00. Sunday breakfast, same place, 1 buckwheat pancake plus bacon for me, 2 buckwheat pancakes for partner. Total cost = $8.20 before tip. We love this place, they serve generous portions, great made from scratch food and very friendly and cheerful staff.

GNeedles59

• Total Posts: 594
                          RE: Diner Prices Tue, 05/27/08 10:16 AM (permalink)
                          $12.95 for an omlette? never! I pay $8-$9, and I live in a very healthy economic area (read: yuppies)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com