Diners Dives and Drive ins?

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Diners Dives and Drive ins? 2013/01/19 18:37:02 (permalink)
Missing BBQ! Uh oh!

This is a really fun place with many different locations visited/showcased and mapped for several different show...

http://www.tvfoodmaps.com/

Fresh mozzarella in <<<Hoboken>>> made it to The Best Thing I Ever Ate! Thank you Ted Allen! Your check is in the mail!
post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/01/19 18:38:05
Cosmos
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1449
Re:Diners Dives and Drive ins? 2013/01/29 22:26:42 (permalink)
Not a fan of Guy's but I enjoy watching people in those roadhouses making amazing things from scratch rather than order from Sysco..and cracking open a can.

I have been to two of the places he featured in Syracuse, neither of which are diners Drive-ins or Dives: Kitty Hoynes and Pastabilities. These are actually pretty upscale and well renowned for their food. My wife an I had breakfast at Kitty Hoynes a few weeks back and quite enjoyed it. Their Irish breakfast was great..black and white pudding (blood sausage and a sort of boudin), Irish sausage, eggs and soda bread. The sausages were fantastic.

We then went to Pastabilities for my birthday dinner a couple weeks ago. We hadn't been there since shortly after they  opened, almost 20 years ago. We did try the duck bacon pizza and the stretch bread with hot tomato oil dip and they were awesome. Wife had pink vodka sauce on penne with scallops, I had fettuccine with pesto. All great stuff.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
Re:Diners Dives and Drive ins? 2013/01/30 00:34:19 (permalink)
Yeah, I saw that episode (syracuse) and was thinking," these aren't diner's drive in or dives!?!"
Maybe a few of the surrounding bars, but Kitty Hoynes and Pastabilities?

And, Syracuse HAS diners, drive-ins and dives!

If he goes back to Syracuse, where next? Coleman's and Scotch and Sirloin?

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2434
Re:Diners Dives and Drive ins? 2013/01/30 01:33:05 (permalink)
There are a lot of good diners he could go to but I don't think I'd want to tell him about them as the resulting crush of customers would mess it all up for me.  The whole "DDD" moniker really is just a template and there are many "square pegs" that don't easily fit into that "round hole".  Man v. Food already covered Mother's Cupboard, Dinosaur and Heid's.
post edited by billyboy - 2013/02/04 07:31:43
southjerseymichigan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
Re:Diners Dives and Drive ins? 2013/09/27 13:53:00 (permalink)
he did an episode on Kansas City BBQ and ate at all 4 places that he mentioned! i've been warned that critiquing bbq is a good way to make enemies, but i approved of all 4 although one of them, R.J.'s BOB-B-Q, i liked better for breakfast than b.b.q.
before i was familiar with the show i went to a pizza parlor=come-artists' gallery and Momma's Diner, both of which he had featured. i would say that both were o.k. but not memorable. remember, things can change drastically from the time that the place is recommended to the time that they film the episode to the time that they air the episode.
southjerseymichigan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
Re:Diners Dives and Drive ins? 2013/09/27 14:01:01 (permalink)
kland01s

I read once that Guy has a number of Camaros and that they are shipped, not driven to the different locations. He just drives them a block of two for filming.

that does not surprise me. someone bought "THE" "General Lee" used in a certain TV show only to find out there were several others.
brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1117
Re:Diners Dives and Drive ins? 2013/09/27 15:06:28 (permalink)
He did a show some time ago at the Noble Pig in north Austin and for the longest time you almost couldn't get in the place during lunch. What I wonder is does this phenomenon follow on the heels of all his visits? 
trzhotel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
Re:Diners Dives and Drive ins? 2013/09/27 15:40:42 (permalink)
The show has changed over the years, most of the places just aren't DIVES. I mean high dives, dives with a capital letter "d" in the description. I get that the restaurant industry has changed and that new restaurants are supposed to be "experiences", and that "fresh and local" are the buzzwords of the day, but that's not what this show was about. I'm not logging onto foursquare or looking up restaurant website, but my guess is that the average price of an entree described as "money" or "fist-bump", or " tungaska style meteor explosion in flavortown" is no longer under $15.00 The food always looks great, but please find some more dives.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Diners Dives and Drive ins? 2013/09/27 15:59:01 (permalink)
La Isla in <<<Hoboken>>> is situated directly across from the Cake Boss has been featured on DD&D (Cuban food) & won a French Toast Throwdown. I'll get in whenever I please...

http://www.laislarestaurant.com
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
Re:Diners Dives and Drive ins? 2013/09/28 00:49:21 (permalink)
He's been to a number of places in Phoenix and I understand from a friend of mine that sells foodservice products that after a show airs, there's a flurry of new customers and after a week or 2, it just settles down to normal business. With so many shows in the re-run stages, each show has diminishing returns. For example, Matt's Big Breakfast must have been on a dozen times. Matt has moved into a bigger place but the original place was no bigger than a lavatory on a 737! He needed a bigger place even before the show.
wallhd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 432
Re:Diners Dives and Drive ins? 2013/09/28 09:57:59 (permalink)
To the best of my knowledge, we've been to only two: The Maine Diner in Wells, ME and the A-1 Diner in Gardiner, ME.

The Maine Diner has managed to avoid becoming a tourist trap which, coming from me, is a compliment. We have never had a bad meal there.

The A-1 was very good for a diner, it, having said that, was not spectacular.

My .02 worthy.

Wally
Plattsburgh NY

PS: Today is sad, why you ask ? Because Clare & Carl's is closing for the season today!
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1