Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque

Author
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3726
2008/10/13 10:34:45 (permalink)

Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque

Yesterday was a perfect autumn day and we headed out to enjoy the outdoors. Our first and longest stop was at a pumpkin maze north of Frederick, MD. Going through half the maze was enough for me so I headed back to the car, got my book and read (and kept up with the football scores on radio. The rest of the family carried on with corn cob shooting, hayrides and a giant slide to name a few things they did.

Three hours later, we drove a little futher north to an apple farm and stand. Well, this is much more than a stand; it is huge and they sell all sorts of fruits and vegetables. There were lots of people buying pumpkins and even more buying homemade pies which were selling well at twelve dollars each!

Our last stop (and the best part of a fun day) was for dinner at Chubby's Barbeque in Emmitsburg MD. What a great meal we had. I decided to order a combination platter which consisted of ribs, pulled pork and sliced brisket. Everything was delicious but the brisket was just super. It was filled with flavor and I could cut it with my fork. My son had the babyrib platter and my daughter in law had the ribs and pulled pork. The sides were excellent. Although I did not have any, the cornbread was raved about and so were the beans.

I went with the fried potatos and the collard greens. The fried potatoes were very unusal. They were very creamy and loaded with onions and sausage...........absolutely delicious. The collard greens were excellent but I would have preferred them without barbecue sauce in them. Something that we had here was the best that I had ever tasted was the cream of crab soup..........it was amazing and exploded with flavor. This was something that I never expected to find in a barbeque restaurant. The next time that we go there, I will have a brisket sandwich and a whole bowl of that great soup.

The owner, Tom was there and we had a wonderful time visiting with him. He was gracious even though the Redskins had just lost their football game and my son was wearing a NY Giants shirt. He told us of how he got started in the restaurant business, how he did some of his dishes and just lots of fun things. He is a very nice person. (Of couse he endeared himself to me when he told us that the two grand daugters looked like models.....which I knew but liked hearing)

We knew the day was a success when my daughter in law announced that she could not wait to come back again!

http://chubbysbbq.com/page/11aej/Our_Menu.html

20 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18445
    RE: Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2008/10/13 13:01:13 (permalink)
    Did the owner smoke?
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10283
    RE: Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2008/10/13 14:40:42 (permalink)
    Greymo-
    Thanks for the nice write up of Chubby's BBQ and I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as you did. I ate there for the first time back in August and thought it was just average. Considering there are sevral people on Roadfood who rave about Chubby's, I am obviously in the minority. Maybe I should give them another chance.

My cousin Johnny really likes a farm stand near Westminster called Baugher's. He brought me a sample of their pies and it was quite good.
    brittneal
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2008/10/13 15:06:01 (permalink)
    DrSmoke introduced himself on TheChefsCoat and also gave his receipe for the potatoes.

http://thechefscoat.com/index.php?topic=112.0
    britt
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 660
    RE: Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2008/10/13 15:09:27 (permalink)
    buffetbuster - Do you know if it was the orchard farmstand or the one at the restaurant?. The orchard is a mile or two west of the Restaurant/farmstand on Rt 140 and both are roughly 20 miles or so east of Rt 15 where Chubby's is in Emmitsburg.

The orchard has pick your own sweet/sour cherries, apples, peaches, green beans, pumpkins and probably other items. The restaurant has been around since 1949 or so and is well worth the extra time when at the orchard. The chicken is fried to order (though not in cast iron) and they use orchard fruit in the pies.

Chubby's is good and I find it a plus they are open on Sundays. Most bbq places are closed Sunday. I also really liked the potatoes and the greens at Chubby's.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2008/10/13 15:13:44 (permalink)
    eruby-
    Now that you mention it, I do remember my cousin telling me that he bought the fruit and one place and the pies at another place nearby. They were still related, though. Here is the website.

http://www.baughers.com/

He also likes an ice cream place called Hoffmans', I think.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 660
    RE: Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2008/10/13 15:17:54 (permalink)
    Everything that's sold at the orchard is also sold at the restaurant stand. They also make their own ice cream, which is good, but the king of homemade ice cream in Westminster is Hoffman's, a few miles from Baugher's restaurant.

http://www.hoffmansicecream.com/
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    RE: Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2008/10/13 21:41:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Did the owner smoke?

Hey, I was there and met him; he is a super nice guy. We sat around and chewed the fat for quite some time. I'd go there again in a heartbeat, and I'd recommend it to anyone.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2008/10/13 22:01:20 (permalink)
    I agree.......................he is a super nice guy, and the food is super good!
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2008/10/17 08:07:01 (permalink)
    Greymo,

What time were you and your family at Chubby's???!!!?? I happened to be at Chubby's also! I wonder if we may have been there at the same time. My friends and I sat at the very back right corner table, if you are facing the counter as you walk in the front door. All three of us were riding motorcycles.....

I'm kind of a regular at Chubby's and usually make the trip up two or three times a month. Lately the greens have been way under cooked, but I decided to give them a try....mine were cooked fine but the potatoes were almost raw.....I'll have to talk to the Tom next time I'm there...LOL

I had my usual, the pulled pork platter and it was excellent. I ordered the 1/2lb platter, and as usual it was at least a pound of pork....
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2008/10/17 08:34:49 (permalink)
    Not a cycle in sight when we arrived. I would say that we arrived there about 4:30. Tom was there the whole time and we had a great time visiting with him and the food was terrific. I was astounded at the brisket and how good it was.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2008/10/17 11:00:40 (permalink)
    We must have just missed each other, I believe we were leaving for home right about that time.....
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2009/05/11 09:41:14 (permalink)
    OK and after a return trip from Pennsylvania this past Saturday and with all three of my kids in-tow, we made it for lunch at this Emmitsburg, Maryland lair. And although I'm a person often wrought with suspicion of what or whom () lurks behind the scene (like Sam's Club actually being run from prison and by David Berkowitz), allow me to be perfectly honest here and join the above posters like Greymo, Mosca and others to confirm that Chubby's Barbeque is simply awesome!

Fantastic oversized pull pork sandwiches featuring delicately smoked and HUGE chunks of meat and handmade sauces to only compliment the work that went into barbequing this fare in the first place. Top-notch sides we tried included the fries, coleslaw and macaroni & cheese.

I'll refrain from repeating the above accolades except to say that Chubby's is the real deal and a perfect stop for anyone using Route 15 (which it is literally on) as a north-south route through Maryland and or Pennsylvania.

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2009/05/11 09:53:36 (permalink)
    i95-
    Don't you mean David Berkowitz's neighbor's dog? 

Yet another rave for Chubby's?  I need to give this place another try.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2009/05/11 10:45:28 (permalink)
    Now there's something one doesn't find on a menu every day, a sauerkraut and pulled-pork sandwich.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2010/04/01 14:37:58 (permalink)
    It was a beautiful day for a drive yesterday so I decided t hat lunch at Chubby's would be a nice ride and a great meal.  The food was terrific.  I had  brisket and pulled  pork f combo  with the fried potatoes  and the sauerkraut.  Tom was great! He brought out samples of nearly everything on the menu for me to try.  I am so glad that he did because I found the collard greens to be  super good this time

These collard greens were the  second best that I have ever tasted.  (The very  best ones  (for my taste) are served at  Sweet Potato in Savannah, GA.}  The last time I  had them at Chubby's   they  seemed sweet but the ones yesterday  had vinegar  in them and were just terrific.  Another thing which I sampled for  the first time  was his chili.  It is very  delicious...................loved it.

I surely wish that this great Roadfood place was closer to us.  I would be there all the time.
    post edited by Greymo - 2010/04/01 15:58:16
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4583
    Re:Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2010/04/01 15:09:39 (permalink)
    Closer to Ponce Inlet, Florida?
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2010/04/01 16:03:39 (permalink)
    TJU.  I am sorry for any confusion my post cost you.  My son's place in Maryland is  about  50 miles from Chubby's.  My place in Ponce Inlet is  over 900 miles form Chubby's.  I went for a drive and not a trip!
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4583
    Re:Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2010/04/01 17:01:33 (permalink)
    It is after all April Fools Day.  I played the part, no?
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2010/04/01 17:06:36 (permalink)

Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 522
    Re:Dinner at Chubby's Barbeque 2011/07/26 13:16:59 (permalink)
    We finally got to Gettysburg and of course thought it was incredible. I'd told Tom (aka Dr. Smoke, aka chewingthefat) that we'd drop in for dinner while we were in the area. Good call on that one. Tom does a great job with the food and just an all around nice guy. We sat for about 45 minutes and well, chewed the fat.

Anyway, my quick review is that I like a heavier smoke but that's personal preference. Basically everything was no worse than very good with the sandouts being the bbq baked beans, pork belly and brisket.

Yuengling on tap served in a mason jar was a huge plus.

Read more here is you care to.
    http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...d-food-aint-cheap.html

DT
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1