Dip Dogs

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
2004/01/20 09:30:13 (permalink)

Dip Dogs

I finally came across my notes on a great ROADFOOD find just off Route 81 in Virginia. We stumbled across it last summer and what a great find it turned out to be. We wanted to take a break from Route 81 because of all the heavy traffic so went on Route 11 and happened on to a tiny place called "The Dip Dog". It turned out that their specialty is called a dip dog..............not to be confused with a corn dog. The hot dog is the brightest red thing you ever saw. It is on a stick and dipped into a secret batter and then deep fried. When it comes out of the fryer, it is dipped into bright yellow mustard and put on a small piece of white paper. We ordered 8 of them and when we brought out to one of the four picnic tables there, we could see that they were each wrapped in their white paper and all of them heaped in a brown paper bag..........they even stuck in an extra one! They were great! We ate everyone of them and decided that for 75 cents each, they could not be making much money on them. They sold sandwiches, fried seafood, and ice cream and sundaes.

As we sat there eating, people were starting pull up after church to get their dip dogs. We noticed that most of the people brought their own beverages with them and just sat on the hood of their trucks and cars and ate away. I think we were the only strangers there.

This place is located in West Marion, VA just off Rt 81 on Rt 11.......in fact, we could watch the traffic on Rt 81 as we ate. I would say it was about halfway between Abingdon and Wytheville, Va. Going south we would get on route 11 at Wytheville to find it and coming north we would get on route 11 at Abingdon. We are looking forward to more dip dogs the next time we are in that area.

94 Replies Related Threads

Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Dip Dogs 2004/01/20 10:23:46 (permalink)
    OK, that description has already made me hungry!
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Dip Dogs 2004/01/20 11:30:22 (permalink)
    Was the batter sweet tasting on those dip dogs ? The one thing I don't like about other corn dogs is that the batter seems too sweet for me ! The mustard helps to cut down on the sweetness but I still taste it !!

I used to love corn dogs as a kid, so my taste buds must have changed !
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    RE: Dip Dogs 2004/01/20 11:35:55 (permalink)
    I like to fry my own dip dogs or corn dogs. The batter was a little tricky for me and I had to add a mixture of corn and flour. It is fun to add additional stuff to the batter such as onions or jalapenos.

A little mustard or ketchup is good. Sometimes I add both and I have also added cheese whiz to the outside of the fried batter.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    chezkatie
    RE: Dip Dogs 2004/01/20 12:01:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

Yeah, what kind of batter was it? Spicy? Corny? More info, please!

The batter did not have any distinct flavor.........it certainly was not sweet.....I am going to try to duplicate it sometime by using a thick pancake batter but as I have never even made a "corndog", I do not know how successful my attempt at making this will be. The coating was really great as you tasted the hot dog and mustard so well! For a real hot dog lover like me, this Dip Dog was a wonderful treat.
    Brahma Bob
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Dip Dogs 2004/01/20 17:55:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

Yeah, what kind of batter was it? Spicy? Corny? More info, please!

The batter did not have any distinct flavor.........it certainly was not sweet.....I am going to try to duplicate it sometime by using a thick pancake batter but as I have never even made a "corndog", I do not know how successful my attempt at making this will be. The coating was really great as you tasted the hot dog and mustard so well! For a real hot dog lover like me, this Dip Dog was a wonderful treat.

Paul Prudhomme's recipe for Hush Puppies makes the best corn dog batter on the planet.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3283
    RE: Dip Dogs 2004/01/21 17:44:41 (permalink)
    If you want to talk about corn dogs,when I was a student at Southern Illinois University, this was one of my favorite stops on Route 66 between Chicago & Carbondale. As it turns out, 35 years later, it's featured on the PBS Hot Dog Program. Check out the history of the corn dog along with some classic pictures of the original building at:

www.cozydogdrivein.com

One thing I can't figure out is the picture of that kid in the cowboy costume. Is that a human or a doll standing next to him in the back of the ice cream cone truck?
    Yummy1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Dip Dogs 2004/02/10 12:17:12 (permalink)
    I went to college in Southwest Virginia and one of the happiest days of my college life was when my friend from Marion introduced me to The Dip Dog. It is always referred to as The Dip Dog never just Dip Dog.
    The last time I was in Southwest Virginia was right before I got married- pre-emptive honeymoon, and I hadn't eaten beef in about three years. The first place we went after we checked into our hotel was The Dip Dog. I got a bacon cheeseburger and an order of onion rings (the best I've ever had) and never regretted a bite.
    I currently live in New Orleans so I have plenty of great eateries from which to choose but none can replace The Dip Dog.
    Thanks ChezKatie for spreading the word!
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Dip Dogs 2004/02/10 13:25:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Yummy1

I went to college in Southwest Virginia

Hokie, Hokie, High, Yummy1 ??
    chezkatie
    RE: Dip Dogs 2004/02/10 13:50:38 (permalink)
    quote:

I went to college in Southwest Virginia and one of the happiest days of my college life was when my friend from Marion introduced me to The Dip Dog. It is always referred to as The Dip Dog never just Dip Dog.
    The last time I was in Southwest Virginia was right before I got married- pre-emptive honeymoon, and I hadn't eaten beef in about three years. The first place we went after we checked into our hotel was The Dip Dog. I got a bacon cheeseburger and an order of onion rings (the best I've ever had) and never regretted a bite.
    I currently live in New Orleans so I have plenty of great eateries from which to choose but none can replace The Dip Dog.
    Thanks ChezKatie for spreading the word!

It sounds like you really know the place. Have you ever heard how their batter is made or what is in it. I would love to know
    flasher40
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Dip Dogs 2006/01/26 13:11:15 (permalink)
    Just want to Thank you for the nice response on the DIP DOG STAND..In 2007 it will be around for 50 years. THe batter is a secret so we can't give that out. But we dont use pancake batter so don't try that one.. IT is a unique batter we have and they are made fresh daily and so is our onion rings..... If anyone is every by Marion or Chilhowie Virginia we would love for you to stop in and see us we are on HWY 11 West of Marion.. The phone number is 276-783-2698. Thank again for you kind remarks about the DIPDOG that is why we are still in business for 50 years is for all the nice people we serve.. God bless you all... Grant and Pam Hall owners of the DIPDOG STAND...
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    RE: Dip Dogs 2006/01/26 13:28:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by flasher40

Just want to Thank you for the nice response on the DIP DOG STAND..In 2007 it will be around for 50 years. THe batter is a secret so we can't give that out. But we dont use pancake batter so don't try that one.. IT is a unique batter we have and they are made fresh daily and so is our onion rings..... If anyone is every by Marion or Chilhowie Virginia we would love for you to stop in and see us we are on HWY 11 West of Marion.. The phone number is 276-783-2698. Thank again for you kind remarks about the DIPDOG that is why we are still in business for 50 years is for all the nice people we serve.. God bless you all... Grant and Pam Hall owners of the DIPDOG STAND...

You did get some very nice comments. I do not get that way often but when I read the above comments, it made me want to travel that way. 50 years is a long time.

Good luck

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Dip Dogs 2006/01/26 14:30:19 (permalink)
    Sounds fantastic! Just out of curiosity, all beef, or mixed meat hot dogs, and size? Our ususal corn dog here is premade out of a carton and deep fried hard brown on the outside, cold pink on the inside, mercy!
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Dip Dogs 2006/01/26 18:21:50 (permalink)
    I bemoan. There is not a great corn dog to be had in New Jersey.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Dip Dogs 2006/01/26 18:40:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by i95

quote:

I went to college in Southwest Virginia

Hokie, Hokie, High, Yummy1 ??

My uncle was a professor at VT.... for about 30 years or so.....
    Even wrote a text book...
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Dip Dogs 2006/01/26 19:31:38 (permalink)
    It is my understanding that Corn Dogs were invented in Texas and first offered to the public at the Texas State Fair held in Fair Park in Dallas. Lived there 10 years and never had one, but I'm sure someone from that area can comment.
    flasher40
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Dip Dogs 2006/01/30 10:17:38 (permalink)
    Hope everyone is having a wonderful day... We have people from all states that come by to get one of our DIPDOGS> We have been asked by a lot of people to franchise but that just wouldn't be the same for we take pride in how everything is cooked. We have shipped DIPDOGS as well. About 2 months ago film producers came by to do a documentary on the DIPDOG Stand and it is now airing in the Sundance film festival so I am anxious to see how that turns out as well. We have also been listed in a book as one of the best restaurants around and for the second time in a row in we have been voted best restaurant, best service, best hotdogs, best hamburgers, best icecream, best fries, so this is a nice accomplishment.. I am starting to work on some ideas to do for our 50th anniversary for 50 years is a long time for a business to keep going so if any of you would like to give me some ideas that would be great. We also have been featured in Southern LIving which was exciting as well... Heres wishing everyone a wonderful day....... The DIPDOG
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Dip Dogs 2006/01/30 14:31:34 (permalink)
    Hi,
    What's the difference between a, "hand-dipped", corn dog and a regular corndog? I really don't know. At carnivals, the handipped style are pretty much twice the price. What is the name of the corn dog place in Texas that was featured on Mark Decarlo's show? They are suppose to have some great corn dogs too. Congrats to you Flasher, sounds like your doing well.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Dip Dogs 2006/01/30 15:15:03 (permalink)
    When i was in grade school in TN my teacher was from Brooklyn. I asked her what the lunch menu was, she said Dip Dogs with that funny accent.What??? We called em Pronto Pups down there!
    jhatfill
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Dip Dogs 2006/06/30 10:18:39 (permalink)
    I live in southwest virginia and I was so excited to see that someone from "outside" knows about the dip dog stand. Just to let you all know, they have built on and now the building is about twice the size it used to be. I have a recipe somewhere to *almost* duplicate the dip dog batter, unfortunately, i can't find it. I do have to mention though, if you're going to come get a dip dog, you have to get the onion rings too. The dip dog doesn't have fancy printed bags like the chain fast food joints do, but their bags are distinctive. After the food is put in a plain brown paper bag, the grease leaks out and makes spots all over it. It's fabulous! Y'all come see us down here and have a dip dog or two!
    TheSpacePope
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Dip Dogs 2007/01/26 21:53:51 (permalink)
    These things are goooooo-oood!!....one more reason to cross the pacific and the USA for. I'll be back around SW VA area visiting a lady friend in a week or so and one of the first things I intend doing is scarfing down a Dip Dog or five ...with lots of mustard!! .

Last time I was there I remembered ordering just one and the lady at the counter said ..."ONE??...you sure ain't very hungry today are ya?" ended up buy three and a coke. After that I could have gone one or two more ...they were soooo nice.

These things aren't corndogs as such.....the batter is much nicer. Probably reminds me vaguely of a battered sav (savaloy) here in Australia ...but again...the batter is lighter, crisper and nicer on a dip dog.

Got me sold , Dip Dog Stand! Keep up the good work.
    RibRater
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Dip Dogs 2007/01/28 08:33:33 (permalink)
    flasher40,

what are your hours of operation? i see a lunch trip this week.

thanks,

larry
    MBFDFyre
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    RE: Dip Dogs 2007/01/28 08:51:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by flasher40

Is there a website? with lots of mouth watering picture?
    RibRater
    RE: Dip Dogs 2007/03/24 06:10:25 (permalink)
    Here are a few pics of the dip dog stand and their famous dip dog. This was a nice road-side food stand..very clean, nice menu, and plenty of outside seating. I was there on a cloudy cold day weekend day and there was still a pretty good crowd so I suspect these folks do a nice business.

The dip dog is a valleydale type of dog that I think is a pork/beef combo. The coating is a very light, crunchy batter about 1/8 of an inch thick. They are served hot with a coating of mustard so I ordered two..one without so I could inspect the coating. The dog was better with the mustard but still good without. My wife and son had a hamburger and fries...both fresh and acceptable but nothing outstanding.

Like most road-side stands, they have a large menu of the regular popular foods..dogs, burgers, chicken strips, ice cream..but they also offer sandwiches like a reuben (pass ;-)

I saw a tastee freeze over in chilhowie on our way to dip dog so we stopped by there on the way back to grab an ice cream. It was snowing lightly and I was wearing shorts and t-shirt which tends to bring some odd looks..especially when ordering ice cream. The tastee freeze was exactly as I remember from my youth..clean, small menu, good ice cream.

I'm taking most of my pics with my cell phone so they don't always come out to good.

MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5406
    RE: Dip Dogs 2007/03/24 08:45:03 (permalink)
    Thanks Larry, reminds me of a corn dog.

MikeS.
    BR
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Dip Dogs 2007/03/24 20:53:52 (permalink)
    How about a close-up of the one without the mustard slather?

BR
    RibRater
    RE: Dip Dogs 2007/03/25 07:52:11 (permalink)
    Sorry BR...the above are all I have.

Mike, it looks like a corndog but there's no cornmeal in the batter. I see the statement above about not using pancake batter and it certainly is a thin coating but I would think a VERY thin pancake batter and a quick dip in a hot fryer might produce a similar product.
    techdog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Dip Dogs 2007/03/25 17:31:12 (permalink)
    looks like it could be tempura batter
    Big Ugly Mich
    • Total Posts : 1302
    RE: Dip Dogs 2007/03/25 18:19:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chicagostyledogIf you want to talk about corn dogs,when I was a student at Southern Illinois University, this was one of my favorite stops on Route 66 between Chicago & Carbondale. As it turns out, 35 years later, it's featured on the PBS Hot Dog Program. Check out the history of the corn dog along with some classic pictures of the original building at:

www.cozydogdrivein.com
    I have a couple fond memories of Cozy Dog. One: When my wife and I were dating, she got me a copy of a hand drawn map of Route 66 by Bob Waldmire, son of Ed the founder of Cozy Dog, and The time we ate there. I mistakenly ordered a hot dog rather than a Cozy Dog.

The Diner is on 66 not too far from Old Springfield and Oak Park Cemetery, where Abe Lincoln and his family are buried, in Springfield, IL.
    guspas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Dip Dogs 2007/03/27 01:42:42 (permalink)
    nothing beats a freshly made corndog.....except 2 freshly made corndogs.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1