Dirty Water Recipe

Author
Captain Morgan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 511
2009/09/15 13:06:43 (permalink)

Dirty Water Recipe

any of you guys add anything to your holding water?

I'm thinking about holding dogs in the water, then slapping 
them on the grill to quickly get some color.

I was thinking if adding some beef broth, celery seed, butter, etc to the
water might be better than just plain old water.

19 Replies Related Threads

Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:Dirty Water Recipe 2009/09/15 13:22:54 (permalink)
    I'd add Captain Morgan 2 bottles to 1/4" of water, chill, when slushy scoup into CHILLED Martini glass, sit back enjoy. Dogs another day.
    Another Shrimp Cocktail please.LOL
    post edited by Curbside Grill - 2009/09/15 13:46:26
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Dirty Water Recipe 2009/09/15 14:00:53 (permalink)
    well that do seem mighty tasty, much better than my
    Dirty Water Martini, which has a hot dog floatin around
    in there.
    Gene's Dogs
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 719
    Re:Dirty Water Recipe 2009/09/15 16:18:32 (permalink)
    i don't know.  there's already a pretty good flavor thing going on in a good dog.  if i'm slow, i dump them in the drink and grill at serving --that seems to be where the flavor comes out.  if they're moving, i put them in a quick warm water and hit the grill for about a minute and serve
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8075
    Re:Dirty Water Recipe 2009/09/15 16:40:53 (permalink)
    I always thought the dog flavored the water, not the other way around.

BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:Dirty Water Recipe 2009/09/15 16:43:02 (permalink)
    Hey captain, Just think how many dogs were being served from these New Your city carts. I figure they didn't change the water all day, maybe just add a bit more to the pan. IMHO the dogs don't have a whole lot of flavor. If a Hot Dog had a lot of flavor do you think we would need to disguise it with all the toppings. When is the last time you saw anyone put toppings on a steak, or pork chop, Chicken breast. I would rather have a good quality Italian, German or Polish Sausage. I feel a sausage needs to be grilled in order to get the flavors mixing together. The fat mixing with the spices in the sausage is what gives the flavor and taste. When I see everyone saying the dog taste good. My question would be, If its so good then why do you need to cover it up with Pickles, mustard,kraut, ketchup, onions, slaws, chili. If you think about these toppings they aren't tasteless , they are bold flavors to bring flavor to food.........Good luck.................Bill
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Dirty Water Recipe 2009/09/15 23:55:49 (permalink)
    Lobster shrimp crab quality yes. No need for anything else like drawn butter lemon mayonnaise or Old Bay?

If a hot dog had no flavor there would not so many sales of quality hot dogs which happen to be more expensive. If you switched out Vienna Sabrett Nathan's etc. with something else...people would notice. Even on a parralel quality level. If you went to Chicago and made CSDs with Sabrett...it would be noticed in a second. If hot dog carts in NYC  went out and Nathan's went with Vienna for the day...in a second.

It does not matter if it is not very important...but it is very important if it matters.

There is nothing wrong with quality buns condiments toppings but the hot dog is the core product. The other stuff might accentuate the hot dog and always important not to detract from the quality or taste but it does not make any hot dog great.

Beef broth is usually very salty. If butter was to be included it would make more sense to do it while griiling...after steaming (if you want to or have to do both). 

post edited by CCinNJ - 2009/09/16 00:22:01
    John Fox
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2339
    Re:Dirty Water Recipe 2009/09/16 06:13:46 (permalink)
    Quality hot dogs have flavor. That's why I personally have just mustard on mine 90% of the time. I could tell in a second if you were to switch brands. In the N.Y./N.J. area most carts and trucks sell dirty water dogs. Water doesn't bring out as much flavor as grilling does; that's why the majority of vendors use a spicy all beef dog such as Sabrett. Just because many people load up their dogs with toppings doesn't mean that the dogs lack flavor.

A German style beef and pork dog has a much milder flavor profile. The cheaper dogs in this style are indeed bland. I look for better ones. But even the better ones that can stand alone with mustard would be a better choice than a bolder tasting dog if you decided to use toppings. Occasionally I'll have a Texas Weiner which is popular in N.J. A dog topped with mustard, onions (which I omit) and Greek style chili sauce. All of these places serve a very mild pork/beef dog.

Vienna is an all beef frank, but much milder than a Sabrett, Nathan's, or Hebrew National. But that's why it goes better with the salad that is thrown on a Chicago dog. A Sabrett would overwhelm the other ingredients and throw everything out of balance.

I don't know why people put all kinds of stuff on their hot dogs. If they enjoy it, who am I to criticize? But when I order a hot dog, I want to taste the hot dog.
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2339
    Re:Dirty Water Recipe 2009/09/16 06:23:11 (permalink)
    Oh, and as far as adding anything to the water, I don't. I'm not a vendor but I make plenty of dogs at home. I have a grill, griddle, and deep fryer. Sometimes I make dirty water dogs. When I grill, I put the dogs in the water first.

I've found that adding to the water doesn't really add anything. I think it's a waste of beer to put it in your hot dog water. I know of one guy who puts salt in his water to replace the salt lost through boiling. Others heat in water before grilling just to take away extra saltiness. I do it to heat the dogs evenly before finishing them off on a grill. Or griddle.

There are some vendors out there who use a dirty little trick. Old dogs turn a grayish green. Adding vinegar to the water prevents this. Beware!
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Dirty Water Recipe 2009/09/16 08:04:17 (permalink)
    Hot Dogs  ......Looks like a non Alcohol Beer may be the ticket....Nice Dirty water brew..................Bill
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Dirty Water Recipe 2009/09/16 08:27:46 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

Lobster shrimp crab quality yes. No need for anything else like drawn butter lemon mayonnaise or Old Bay. 

What about Shrimp???? Fried Shrimp, Gumbo, Coconut shrimp, Shrimp scampi, Beer batter shrimp,Shrimp Tempura, Oriental fried shrimp,  fried Shrimp balls, Shrimp fried rice, shrimp Bisque... and On, and on, and on I don't even want to get into shrimp in sauces.......................

What about Crab???? Crab cakes, Crab Gumbo, Hot Crab dip, Crab stuffed mushrooms, Crab Omelet, Crab imperial, Crab Bisque, and on, and on, and on...............

I hope you give better advice when your Consulting. They may need a few ways of preparing these items in a Seafood restaurant.

Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Dirty Water Recipe 2009/09/16 09:27:35 (permalink)
    I agree Budget Hot Dogs have little flavor. Texture is mushy. Little can be done to save a low quality Hot Dog. You could put toppings which may taste great but when you get to the Hot Dog the dissappointment begins. I am always amazed when a vendor goes to all the trouble of putting great stuff on top such as coney sauce, homemade coleslaw, Chicago Toppings or any of the other regional versions. Then puts a no name Hot Dog under it. A top quality Hot Dog like Koegels, Dearborn Sausage, Nathans Natural Casing, Boars Head etc... Need only mustard to stand out. They also hold up to toppings. The snap and flavor of a quality dog cannot be compared to a cheap Hot Dog. Comparing a Bar S to a Koegel is like comparing a Rib Eye to a Cube Steak.

Beer definatly adds flavor to a Hot Dog. This would be a way to save a middle of the road dog like a Ball Park. I personally would not do it to any Natural Casing Hot Dog...Russ

Here is a Brat Recipe I posted here a couple years ago. I have never done it Hot Dogs. You might find it interresting...Russ

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=349625&high=My+Brat
    post edited by Russ Jackson - 2009/09/16 09:32:47
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Dirty Water Recipe 2009/09/16 10:29:15 (permalink)
    Hey Russ, I agree there are a few Hot dogs but most are like eating small Bologna sticks..............Sausage on the other hand, and I'm not talking about your run of the mill sausage. When I get my hands on Quality Italian, German, Polish sausage I could put these on the grill and cut in pieces and taste the flavors. They are a pleasure and a Sausage makers work of art...............Just think of the bold flavored condiments we put on Dogs. They are spicy, salty, vinegar, onion, Chili, Cabbage spicy slaws, Mustard, Pickles............IMHO if you start off with a Quality Sausage, you really want to taste the sausage and not take away from it with other tastes................A lot of the dogs I see are covered with so many items you can't see the dog...........Bill
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Dirty Water Recipe 2009/09/16 10:39:55 (permalink)
    BillyB

CCinNJ

Lobster shrimp crab quality yes. No need for anything else like drawn butter lemon mayonnaise or Old Bay. 

What about Shrimp???? Fried Shrimp, Gumbo, Coconut shrimp, Shrimp scampi, Beer batter shrimp,Shrimp Tempura, Oriental fried shrimp,  fried Shrimp balls, Shrimp fried rice, shrimp Bisque... and On, and on, and on I don't even want to get into shrimp in sauces.......................

What about Crab???? Crab cakes, Crab Gumbo, Hot Crab dip, Crab stuffed mushrooms, Crab Omelet, Crab imperial, Crab Bisque, and on, and on, and on...............

I hope you give better advice when your Consulting. They may need a few ways of preparing these items in a Seafood restaurant. 

Sorry you missed the limited example as the point directly related to hot dogs.  The point is like you said other items you consider quality items that do not have to or need to have toppings or condiments and stand alone  have flavor (steak chicken pork chops) without gaining anything from toppinng or condiments. The point was not about completing  recipes including other items with additional cooking processes and ingredients. Mayonnaise drawn butter lemon and Old Bay are simply examples of items for the dipping topping cooking water  additions  of what most people consider quality and compliment flavor.   Not that these ingredients and more do not move on to make other seafood dishes. That has no relation to hot dogs.

post edited by CCinNJ - 2009/09/16 10:47:04
    T_Money
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re:Dirty Water Recipe 2009/09/16 11:21:03 (permalink)
    BillyB

CCinNJ

So not only do you miss the point of her post, you pretty much insult her.........
    Russ Jackson
    Re:Dirty Water Recipe 2009/09/16 11:55:04 (permalink)
    BillyB

Hey Russ, I agree there are a few Hot dogs but most are like eating small Bologna sticks..............Sausage on the other hand, and I'm not talking about your run of the mill sausage. When I get my hands on Quality Italian, German, Polish sausage I could put these on the grill and cut in pieces and taste the flavors. They are a pleasure and a Sausage makers work of art...............Just think of the bold flavored condiments we put on Dogs. They are spicy, salty, vinegar, onion, Chili, Cabbage spicy slaws, Mustard, Pickles............IMHO if you start off with a Quality Sausage, you really want to taste the sausage and not take away from it with other tastes................A lot of the dogs I see are covered with so many items you can't see the dog...........Bill

This is where I will get in trouble with the Cart Vendors. Maybe I am just clueless but poor quality tastless Hot Dogs have no place in this world. They should not be served to children either. They give true quality Hot Dogs a bad name. I could not serve them. Remember I said I not you. I honestly think by educating Customers about the Hot Dogs you serve. Passionately explaining the differences. You could easily make it profitible. I am sure there are markets where I would fail. If you attempted to use a cheap Hot Dog in Michigan you would fail. Just as you would in New York and Chicago. The customers are far more savvy about such things concerning Hot Dogs. Do It Right Or Don't Do It At All...Russ........ Just one guys opinion
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Dirty Water Recipe 2009/09/16 12:24:15 (permalink)
    well there's some good info in this thread.
    I'm just striving to make the best.  Looks like
    just water in the pot, a little butter on the grill.

Thanks guys.
    Russ Jackson
    Re:Dirty Water Recipe 2009/09/16 12:44:08 (permalink)
    Captain Morgan

well there's some good info in this thread.
    I'm just striving to make the best.  Looks like
    just water in the pot, a little butter on the grill.

Thanks guys.

You might want to add a little Vegetable Oil, Lard, Bacon Grease or Olive Oil to the Butter to raise the smoke temp....Russ
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Dirty Water Recipe 2009/09/16 12:45:49 (permalink)
    bacon grease sounds good!  thanks
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Dirty Water Recipe 2009/09/16 12:55:53 (permalink)
    Just a general statement not related to the bacon grease or other oil suggestions.

If on a grill (and you only want to use butter period) clarify the butter to raise the smoke point by removing the milk solids. It will be quick on the grill if already raised to temp. by steam or water bath and if basting with butter splitting does wonders and a little finish of clarified or melted unclarified butter will add taste...if you want it.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2009/09/16 12:58:12
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1