Discontinued Cereal Packaging and Premiums

Author
DavidEMartin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 173
2006/09/13 11:58:00 (permalink)

Discontinued Cereal Packaging and Premiums

The thread on Discontinued Cereals got me thinking about the packaging and premiums of the cereal.

Remember when Post cereals chanaged the shapes of their boxes? Rather than the tall, shallow boxes that were the Kelloggs-inspired industry standard, Post switched to shorter, deeper boxes that stored better on cupboard shelves. Instead of opening the entire top, you opened a smaller flap, about 1/3 of the top on the left side (that was so a right-handed kid would pour the cereal while still looking at the box front).
The problem was that the smaller boxes looked smaller on the grocer ghelves. Frontage is everything.

Every now and then someone has the idea to attach reading matter to the cereal box. Sunday Funnies was a recent example, a cereal box with a foldout back filled with King Features strips. The idea was that while Dad was reading the newspaper, the kid could read the comics printed on or attached to the box. Kudoes for promoting the idea of families eating breakfast together, demerits for suggesting they should ignore each other while doing so. The problem with comic boxes is, even if you attached a comic book to the box, it still didn't take long to read. And then why reread the box the next time? And-- the death knell for this idea-- why by a second box when it has the same comics on it?

Back when turntables still ruled the music world, there was a technology that produced "flexi-disks", thin sheets of plastic capable of being played on a turntable. Sugar Crisp used these for a couple years, offering a variety of songs by The Archies ("Sugar Sugar" being an appropriate choice) and Bobby Sherman. You carefully disected the box, cut out the record, punched out the hole, placed it on the turntable, and played! Try doing that with a CD.

4 Replies Related Threads

HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Discontinued Cereal Packaging and Premiums 2006/09/14 12:15:30 (permalink)
    I think i remember those records on the ceral box though i never had any.
    pinetree
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Discontinued Cereal Packaging and Premiums 2006/09/15 11:31:22 (permalink)
    Cereal box nirvana:

http://theimaginaryworld.com/prremiums2.html

http://www.lavasurfer.com/cereal-generalmills2.html
    AndreaB
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Discontinued Cereal Packaging and Premiums 2006/09/17 12:29:57 (permalink)
    I remember the Freakies figures, the vinyl records on the boxes, and the toys you'd put baking soda in and they'd float around the bath tub. I think they were from Quisp.

Andrea
    DavidEMartin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 173
    RE: Discontinued Cereal Packaging and Premiums 2007/02/01 00:18:44 (permalink)
    Oh man..... baking soda diving toys! There's a long-lost genre of cheap toys!

Something just came back to mind-- plastic figurines designed to hang onto a kid's spoon. General Mills had spaceman or alien figures whose helments had the GM antenna-like logo on them. Sugar Crisp had figures of Sugar Bear.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1