Hot!Discontinued Cereals

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
startrooper00
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 110
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/08/30 00:17:10 (permalink)
Wow...I used to love Kaboom and haven't seen it in stores for at least two years now!!!!
frogger67
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/08/30 16:46:01 (permalink)
I'd like to get my hands on a box of Post Toasties. I know they still make them but they don't sell them in my state. They tasted a lot better than Kellogg's Corn Flakes.
Also Total made a corn flakes cereal that was more substantial than the regular.

As a kid, I loved a cereal called "Moon Rocks." I can't remember who made that. I also loved Graham Crackos and S'mores Crunch.
Something about graham crackers and milk.......
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/08/31 03:41:38 (permalink)
I'd pay big bucks for a box of 'Buckwheats' from General Mills. Trust me when I say they have no intentions of making them again (had to write them). I also remember a 'Winnie The Pooh' and 'Pink Panther' cereal I used to eat when younger.
johnnymolson
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/08/31 04:32:36 (permalink)
I used to love C3P0's

Had a vanilla flavor...just the right amount of sweetness.
Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 246
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/08/31 13:53:28 (permalink)
I remember really liking Post's "Rice Krinkles". They were like sugar-coated Rice Krispies and I believe they had a flavor more like brown sugar than white-- almost a faint caramel taste. Here are a few pictures of their boxes with the Asian character I remember on them:
http://theimaginaryworld.com/box87.jpg
http://theimaginaryworld.com/box79.jpg
http://theimaginaryworld.com/box85.jpg
Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/08/31 14:14:12 (permalink)
I was just looking through the Post cereals listings at the website I posted above this messsage and saw "Crispy Critters". I'd completely forgotten about that cereal which I used to like. ~~~SIGH~~~ I'm suddenly feeling ancient.

http://theimaginaryworld.com/tic378.jpg
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/08/31 16:11:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tkitna

I also remember a 'Winnie The Pooh' and 'Pink Panther' cereal I used to eat when younger.

Pink Panther cereal made your milk pink. I thought that was soooo cool. Yes, I was a geek.
frogger67
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/08/31 16:38:04 (permalink)
What about Crazy Cow and Body Buddies, speaking of cereals that made the milk turn color?
Cool cereals for sure
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/01 04:39:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

quote:

I also remember a 'Winnie The Pooh' and 'Pink Panther' cereal I used to eat when younger.

Pink Panther cereal made your milk pink. I thought that was soooo cool. Yes, I was a geek.

Yeah, a cereal with actual pink flakes. Kind of neat.

Also, i'm not sure the box covers for the old 'Rice Krinkles' would fly in this day and age with all the politicaly correct people around.

Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/01 07:35:07 (permalink)
quote:

Also, i'm not sure the box covers for the old 'Rice Krinkles' would fly in this day and age with all the politicaly correct people around.

I thought the exact same thing, tkitna and should've included that in my comments.
jockey52
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/02 00:36:25 (permalink)
Bet none of you remember Triple Snack !

Only breakfast cereal I ever really enjoyed - it was a Kellog product and came in those single serving boxes, an assortment of which was on every table at my summer camp breakfast in Vermont.
It was a combination of sugar pops, sugar puffs (latter was dark and wheaty tasting unlike the pops which were light yellow and sugary - each was sold as a separate cereal back then) and peanuts !

When I visited the plant in Battle Creek late-80's and asked about this product during a pre-tour question period, my friends groaned as I disputed the guide's assertion that no such product had ever been produced. At the end of the plant portion of the tour, however, the guide made an announcement/correction: apparently the cereal was test marketed in the NE US only in 1963-64, then discontinued.

Anyway, a nice memory !
Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/02 01:44:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jockey52

Bet none of you remember Triple Snack !

Only breakfast cereal I ever really enjoyed - it was a Kellog product and came in those single serving boxes, an assortment of which was on every table at my summer camp breakfast in Vermont.
It was a combination of sugar pops, sugar puffs (latter was dark and wheaty tasting unlike the pops which were light yellow and sugary - each was sold as a separate cereal back then) and peanuts !

When I visited the plant in Battle Creek late-80's and asked about this product during a pre-tour question period, my friends groaned as I disputed the guide's assertion that no such product had ever been produced. At the end of the plant portion of the tour, however, the guide made an announcement/correction: apparently the cereal was test marketed in the NE US only in 1963-64, then discontinued.

Anyway, a nice memory !

Oooooo! I remember it, but didn't know the name. I forgot about this delicious concoction until now. I especially liked the peanuts in it and I think it tasted a little like Crackerjack. Here's a picture of the Triple Snack box:

http://theimaginaryworld.com/tic205.jpg

Thanks for the memories, jockey52!
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/07 01:59:29 (permalink)
Does anyone remember "Jets" made by General Mills? They were a sugar coated oat & wheat cereal similar in shape to Trix and Kix but loaded with sugar! Later on, they changed the cereal shape to resemble planes, rockets, and planets.

http://theimaginaryworld.com/box549.jpg

http://theimaginaryworld.com/box217.jpg
michaeljackSKAN
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/10 15:23:46 (permalink)
This is a great thread!

I remember Jungle Drummers - they had soo much sugar they make twinkies look like a health snack. Basically they were supposed to be shaped like Bongo Drums and were hollow. I just remember running around like crazy after them.
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 862
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/10 16:15:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Diner-Lover

quote:

I thought the exact same thing, tkitna and should've included that in my comments.

That may also be why the old 'Linus the Lionhearted' cartoon show is impossible to find - of course there's also the issue of licensing legalities when all the cartoons on the show starred cereal mascots.

And then, the kid's name, So-Hi, might be taken as a drug reference...
DavidEMartin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/13 11:31:14 (permalink)
Dinner-Lover- you're feeling ancient? At 50 I'm remembering trying all these things as they first appeared! Going through the cereal aisle each Saturday morning was an adventure as a new cereal appeared. And on family trips, I'd watch for cereals we hadn't tried yet. On a trip to Canada I saw an ad for "Crispy Numbers", apparently a sequel to Alpha-Bits that had been introduced a year before. It must have been either local or a test market, as the TV spot was the only contact I ever had with that one.

One funny thing in my mental catalog is the periodic resurfacing of ideas, like putting freeze-dried fruit in with the corn or bran flakes. The first time we saw this in the 60s, my younger sister and I would ferret out all the strawberry slices, leaving a box of corn flakes.

Another is the changing fortunes of the word "SUGAR" in the name for example-- SUGAR Crisp to HONEY Crisp to SUPER Crisp --or-- SUGAR Frosted Flakes to just plain Frosted Flakes. The strip Calvin and Hobbs might have made fun of "Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs" but danggit, that would have been a cereal kids my age would have devoured by the ton in the 60s!

Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/13 12:16:01 (permalink)
"Crispy Critters stay crispy in milk!"

And now that you mention it, I do recall Triple Snack. Something I probably had once and never could find again (I was always a peanut fiend.)
tgee
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/13 17:19:55 (permalink)
quote:

Here's a site I found that has the Twinkles cereal box pages I mentioned. What a blast from the past!

http://www.timepassagesnostalgia.com/&searchkeywords=twinkle+cereal&sis=1&rdir=1
tgee
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/13 17:25:03 (permalink)
excited to see John's mention of TEAM FLAKES. the greatest cereal that ever was. i still have a half-empty box i carry around (exp. date: 1992!) as a nutty memento of my all-time fave cereal
TheHotPepper.com
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/13 17:29:58 (permalink)
Name some old cereals from TV, like Donkey Kong. Trying to think of more.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1184
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/13 17:41:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by felix4067

quote:
Originally posted by Starlord

While not clearly a cereal, I have to mention Ovaltine here, I believe it is, or was, a cereal-based product that you added to milk for a chocolate-like drink. I remember drinking what seemed like a ton of Ovaltine to get my Captain Midnight Secret Decoder Ring. Like the kid in 'Christmas Story,' I ws very disappointed to find that Captain Midnight's secret messages to his squadron mainly consisted of exhortations to drink more Ovaltine. Every time I think of Ovaltine now, I want to find Captain Midnight and slap him silly. :)

Ovaltine is not only still available, they've got a HUGE advertising campaign going (in fact, they've had the same one for the last couple of years at least). You can't watch TV for more than 30 minutes without seeing at least two of their commercials.

Be sure to go to Vermont Country Store to get the good "old fashioned" stuff -- less sugar, more flavor.
jmckee
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/13 17:42:33 (permalink)
quote:

I was just looking through the Post cereals listings at the website I posted above this messsage and saw "Crispy Critters". I'd completely forgotten about that cereal which I used to like. ~~~SIGH~~~ I'm suddenly feeling ancient.

http://theimaginaryworld.com/tic378.jpg

I can here the Saturday morning jingle now:

"The one and only ce-re-al that comes in the shape of an-i-mals"
BBurge
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/17 11:18:52 (permalink)
As others have said i have seen Quisp for probably the past year or so in stores near me and I can assure everyone that Frankenberry and Boo berry are still around as I just bought some the other day. Frankenbeery may just be seasonal though since I can only ever find it around this time off year and it disappears shortly after Halloween.
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/17 12:21:10 (permalink)
I don't remember the name of these - but they were shaped like tiny donuts and had powdered sugar on them and tasted like donuts.
Farfromhome
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/17 12:35:45 (permalink)
This thread brings back some memories! Its funny that someone said that Freakies was awful. My mother never bought any cereal except for kelloggs corn flakes and on special occasions rice krispies. My brothers and I loved the freakies commercial, and would go around singing the freakies song and doing the goofy dance they did until my mom threatened to hit us! Every week we'd beg her to buy that cereal, and every week we'd be disappointed when she got back from the store and it was corn flakes again. When asked why we couldn't have freakies, she would say it was too expensive. We guessed that it must cost 10 dollars a box or something for her to refuse to put it on her list because its not like we were poor. So we saved our allowance up, and begged to be taken to the store with her. We WANTED that cereal, just knew it had to be the cereals of all cereals. So she finally takes us with her, and we get there and its not on the shelves. In fact for over a month after that, one of us would tag along with her to the store and it was never there.

Every week we'd be disappointed still. So my mom, who really hated taking us to the store with her and usually couldn't pay us to go anyway suggested that we take our life savings that we'd set aside for cereal and go to the used book store instead that was in the same shopping strip as the Krogers. Back then, for 10 bucks you could get a lot of books and comic books at the used book store, so she dropped us off there, gave us another 10 dollars and went off and did her errands and shopping and when she came back we were happily laid out in the store reading our new treasure trove, not even thinking about Freakies cereal. In fact, I don't think I've ever thought of that cereal again until I read this thread!
DavidEMartin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/17 14:31:37 (permalink)
The thing about Freakies that sticks with me was that they had a really neat ad campaign! The jingle was a tenacious "ear worm" that burrowed into my permanent chemical memory-- "You'll never miss a meeeeeeeeal / 'Cause you'll love our cer-e-eeeeeeeal!"
And the design of the Freakies characters was reminiscent of the Weird-Ohs created by Big Daddy Roth in the 60s' car humor magazines.
Methinks it was probably a case of the ad campaign being created first, then the cereal.

If Freakies had come along a little later, say the mid-80s, I could easily see them being converted to a Smurf-like line of 2" plastic figures complete with a Freakies Tree playset and of course a Saturday morning cartoon that only lasted a season.
jmckee
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/21 17:50:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DavidEMartin

The thing about Freakies that sticks with me was that they had a really neat ad campaign! The jingle was a tenacious "ear worm" that burrowed into my permanent chemical memory-- "You'll never miss a meeeeeeeeal / 'Cause you'll love our cer-e-eeeeeeeal!"
And the design of the Freakies characters was reminiscent of the Weird-Ohs created by Big Daddy Roth in the 60s' car humor magazines.
Methinks it was probably a case of the ad campaign being created first, then the cereal.

If Freakies had come along a little later, say the mid-80s, I could easily see them being converted to a Smurf-like line of 2" plastic figures complete with a Freakies Tree playset and of course a Saturday morning cartoon that only lasted a season.

"We are the Freakies, We love our Freakies, We lover our Freakies Treeeeeeeee...."

They DID have a set of figurines free in the boxes. I remember. I had 'most all of them.
essvee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/21 18:40:20 (permalink)
The first thing I thought of when seeing this thread was Puffa Puffa Rice. A Sugar Smacks ripoff with all sorts of indiginous (sp) island people who worshipped a volcano that spewed, you guessed it, Puffa Puffa Rice. Another (deserved) casualty of these PC times.

Speaking of PC, what about that Asian character So-Hi? That was hysterical! High offa sugar, no doubt.
Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/22 10:30:38 (permalink)
IMHO Puffa Puffa Rice was one of the finest examples of ad absurdity to come out of the three-martini lunch and benzedrine-soaked Madison Avenue of the 1960s. In 30 or 60 seconds it told a story, introduced a catchy song, took us to an exotic locale, denigrated the local culture, presented the drama of nature, and of course had sexy girls. And, it was all for kids!

Of course, we sang the opening line: "Manure, Manure a digga a digga bowlful..."
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 862
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/23 12:54:57 (permalink)
I remember when Crispy Critters cereal came for a short time with pink elephant-shape pieces - yes, the symbol of drunken hallucinations. It sure was another time.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1