Hot!Discontinued Cereals

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Author
essvee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
  • Joined: 2002/02/14 23:55:00
  • Location: Oakland, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/23 15:43:54 (permalink)
Excellent observation, Ashphalt. I had forgotten that the aforementioned indiginous (sp) people spoke pidgin English/Mad Ave's idea of Hawaiian, just to add insult to injury.
#61
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8695
  • Joined: 2006/05/21 06:45:00
  • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/23 16:24:01 (permalink)
That was then...there was no politically correct, wasnt even a word in the dictionary.....
#62
sigmagrrl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Joined: 2006/09/25 13:09:00
  • Location: MoCo, MD
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/25 13:22:20 (permalink)
HOW ABOUT SMURFBERRY CRUNCH?!?! BEST CEREAL OF THE EIGHTIES!!!
#63
Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 246
  • Joined: 2005/07/23 16:17:00
  • Location: Philly Burb, PA
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/26 15:44:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by anselmo1

Does anyone remember "Jets" made by General Mills? They were a sugar coated oat & wheat cereal similar in shape to Trix and Kix but loaded with sugar! Later on, they changed the cereal shape to resemble planes, rockets, and planets.

http://theimaginaryworld.com/box549.jpg

http://theimaginaryworld.com/box217.jpg


I DO! I DO! I'd forgotten about Jets until you mentioned them-- Thanks! I remember liking them a lot. I only remember them in the round, Kix shape. I feel like they tasted pretty much like Kix, but had a sugar coating, and more of a caramel-flavor than straight sugar taste. (I think my family made our Dentist a wealthy man... )
#64
Jesseabrams
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Joined: 2006/01/18 10:58:00
  • Location: Moscow, ID
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/26 16:10:13 (permalink)
How about Waffelos? Tasted like Log cabin syurp. I loved those things, which is probaly one of the reasons I am a diabetic now
#65
frogger67
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Joined: 2006/08/29 16:58:00
  • Location: Arlington, VA
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/09/28 17:04:04 (permalink)
Is French Toast Crunch still around? That was a good cereal.
#66
DavidEMartin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 173
  • Joined: 2006/05/02 21:57:00
  • Location: Milwaukee WI
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/10/04 01:05:50 (permalink)
BigGlenn and Felix-- Frankenberry and Booberry are back. There was a big sale display at the local grocer.
#67
trayguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Joined: 2006/05/13 16:52:00
  • Location: Fort Worth, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/10/21 03:04:34 (permalink)
My favorite cereal was POST RICE KRINKLES. They stopped makeing them becasue of the so called sugar content in them. But, hopefully I will get them back if not in this world the next.
#68
myway
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 310
  • Joined: 2005/09/20 22:23:00
  • Location: Ft Wayne, IN
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/10/21 04:59:58 (permalink)
My vote goes for Quisp! Remember the little martian commercial?
LOL Grillmeister! I had that cut oiut single from the archies! That was great. It would probably be worth some money now. I am sure there are some cereal collectors, or old record collectors who would bid on that one.
#69
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
  • Joined: 2003/07/15 13:02:00
  • Location: Decatur, GA
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/10/21 08:58:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by myway

My vote goes for Quisp! Remember the little martian commercial?
LOL Grillmeister! I had that cut oiut single from the archies! That was great. It would probably be worth some money now. I am sure there are some cereal collectors, or old record collectors who would bid on that one.


Quisp is still around in some places (and available online), not so his nemesis Quake. I remember the great Jay Ward commercials where they fought over whose cereal was better - I recall they were shaped differently but tasted the same. Quake disappeared soon after a makeover that changed him from a hulking miner to a thinner guy with an Aussie bush hat and a little cape. I still can't figure that out...
#70
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
  • Joined: 2003/04/30 09:31:00
  • Location: Middletown, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/10/21 09:12:13 (permalink)
I handn't seen Quisp in DECADES...but suddenly I walked into a local store that carries stuff they pick up from liquidations and so forth, and lo and behold, there was a SHELF full of Quisp! Just as I remembered too- Capn Crunch as little saucers that dont destroy your soft palate! I picked up like six boxes!!! Someone else mustve found out too - its now all gone!
#71
Capybara91
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 240
  • Joined: 2006/07/07 21:46:00
  • Location: Puyallup, WA
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/11/06 13:11:46 (permalink)
I loved Clackers, which had the flavor of graham crackers.

I detested Banana Wackies.
#72
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
  • Joined: 2005/06/17 09:25:00
  • Location: Kannapolis area, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/11/06 13:34:29 (permalink)
three pages of folks getting trolled
#73
Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 246
  • Joined: 2005/07/23 16:17:00
  • Location: Philly Burb, PA
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/11/06 16:23:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by V960

three pages of folks getting trolled

#74
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Joined: 2006/05/24 19:03:00
  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/11/06 16:38:32 (permalink)
Better late than never! Used to love this stuff as a kid...



Take a look at this web site for a trip down cereal memory lane.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/cereal-quakeroats2.html

#75
Rapunzll
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 314
  • Joined: 2000/08/22 08:19:00
  • Location: Greenville SC
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/11/06 16:39:53 (permalink)
My kids loved Team Flakes! It's too bad they don't make them anymore.


A friend of mine once laughed at me because the only sugary cereal I'd buy for my kids was Alphabits. She asked why I bought those and I told her because the kids could spell with them. She just laughed and said, 'you're the only person I'd know who'd buy a cereal because it was educational!'

My kids were allowed sugary cereal when they went to their grandparents (as if I could have stopped that happening!) and on vacation. They weren't deprived!
#76
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Joined: 2006/05/24 19:03:00
  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/11/06 16:51:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Diner-Lover

quote:
Originally posted by V960

three pages of folks getting trolled




You seemed a bit confused about the term getting trolled...

Trolling is a concept usually involving attempting to get some entity to do something that is not in its own best interest. Perhaps stemming from mythical encounters with unseemly characters known as Trolls in the habit of enticing passersby to, for instance, cross a bridge, at their presumed peril, under the alleged control or spell (curse) of a Troll.

An Internet troll makes comments intended to induce an angry response.

I don't think the term really applies here...
#77
Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 246
  • Joined: 2005/07/23 16:17:00
  • Location: Philly Burb, PA
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/11/06 19:26:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by desertdog

quote:
Originally posted by Diner-Lover

quote:
Originally posted by V960

three pages of folks getting trolled




You seemed a bit confused about the term getting trolled...

Trolling is a concept usually involving attempting to get some entity to do something that is not in its own best interest. Perhaps stemming from mythical encounters with unseemly characters known as Trolls in the habit of enticing passersby to, for instance, cross a bridge, at their presumed peril, under the alleged control or spell (curse) of a Troll.

An Internet troll makes comments intended to induce an angry response.

I don't think the term really applies here...

I knew what a troll was, both fairy tale and internet-wise , but as you said, desertdog, I didn't think the term applies to this thread.
#78
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
  • Joined: 2003/07/15 13:02:00
  • Location: Decatur, GA
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/11/06 21:50:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Diner-Lover

quote:
Originally posted by desertdog

quote:
Originally posted by Diner-Lover

quote:
Originally posted by V960

three pages of folks getting trolled




You seemed a bit confused about the term getting trolled...

Trolling is a concept usually involving attempting to get some entity to do something that is not in its own best interest. Perhaps stemming from mythical encounters with unseemly characters known as Trolls in the habit of enticing passersby to, for instance, cross a bridge, at their presumed peril, under the alleged control or spell (curse) of a Troll.

An Internet troll makes comments intended to induce an angry response.

I don't think the term really applies here...

I knew what a troll was, both fairy tale and internet-wise , but as you said, desertdog, I didn't think the term applies to this thread.


Damn! - the troll got me to talk about cereal! I feel...so used...
#79
DavidEMartin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 173
  • Joined: 2006/05/02 21:57:00
  • Location: Milwaukee WI
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/11/07 08:58:11 (permalink)
Getting back on topic,
QUISP was a re-use of a Jay Ward character who appeared with a moustached cohort in a BULLWINKLE cartoon. The only alteration was the propeller antenna atop his head.
I don't tremember the plot but I do recall their raygun was called a SQUOOSH GUN. Half a decade later, Quisp was still holdong onto his fearsome Squoosh Gun.

It would be interesting to categorize cereals by their recipes. For example, Captain Crunch, Quisp, Quake, and Addams Family were all the same batter in different shapes.
#80
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
  • Joined: 2003/07/15 13:02:00
  • Location: Decatur, GA
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/11/07 21:13:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DavidEMartin

Getting back on topic,
QUISP was a re-use of a Jay Ward character who appeared with a moustached cohort in a BULLWINKLE cartoon. The only alteration was the propeller antenna atop his head.
I don't tremember the plot but I do recall their raygun was called a SQUOOSH GUN. Half a decade later, Quisp was still holdong onto his fearsome Squoosh Gun.
...



Yeah, he was either named Gidney or Cloyd, right? Interestingly he doesn't look too dissimilar to all those UFO witness descriptions.
#81
cathyftr
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
  • Joined: 2006/10/29 10:07:00
  • Location: Winchester, VA
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/11/08 03:23:01 (permalink)
I remember a cereal called OJs. Kelloggs made this and they came out in 1985. Actually they came out around the same time when Kelloggs first started making those Rice Krispees Bars.

OJs had an orange flavor and even made the milk taste like orange. I still remember the cartoon TV ads featuring "Orange Juice Jones".

Ojs didn't last though, I think they were gone by the time I graduated from high school in 1986.
#82
Pwingsx
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2170
  • Joined: 2003/05/15 17:58:00
  • Location: Somewhere in time...and Colorado
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/11/08 12:45:16 (permalink)
Geez, Cathy, I remember OJ's! The few times I was able to get them, I just loved them.

Speaking of orange flavor, my younger sisters used to pour their Tang on their cereal instead of milk. BLeah.

#83
dews
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
  • Joined: 2006/05/05 17:36:00
  • Location: Running Springs, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/11/11 19:34:51 (permalink)
Where did you find Quisp? When I lived in Michigan I could find it inthe summer months at farmer Jacks but no luck out here in Ca.
#84
Sneetch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 394
  • Joined: 2006/09/09 16:31:00
  • Location: Poconos, PA
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/11/11 20:01:44 (permalink)
along with so many others, Kaboom and King Vitamin, or was it Vitaman?
yuck!
#85
Cornbread
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 53
  • Joined: 2005/04/02 13:30:00
  • Location: Bradenton, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/11/21 15:38:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by desertdog

Better late than never! Used to love this stuff as a kid...


Oddly enough the other day a friend and I were talking about cereals and I mentioned my favorite growing up was Quisp. Well needless to say no one believed me that there was such a cereal called Quisp.. Ha.. now I have proof!! Thanks for the image.

Take a look at this web site for a trip down cereal memory lane.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/cereal-quakeroats2.html


#86
John In Seattle
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
  • Joined: 2004/04/13 17:05:00
  • Location: Seattle, WA
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/12/02 18:42:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cathyftr

I remember a cereal called OJs. Kelloggs made this and they came out in 1985. Actually they came out around the same time when Kelloggs first started making those Rice Krispees Bars.

OJs had an orange flavor and even made the milk taste like orange. I still remember the cartoon TV ads featuring "Orange Juice Jones".

Ojs didn't last though, I think they were gone by the time I graduated from high school in 1986.


I have no memory of that cereal, but I did find the pic on the web:

http://i2.tinypic.com/qx8i9e.jpg
#87
Mavlily
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 53
  • Joined: 2001/05/30 13:37:00
  • Location: , CT
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/12/23 17:43:50 (permalink)
Does anybody remember Concentrate cereal made by Kellogg's? This was my favorite cereal in the 60's and 70's and then they stopped making it. It came in a very small box with gold foil on the outside and had a metal pouring spout on the side. It had sort of a wheat germ flavor but much better tasting. You didn't need to eat a lot of it to be satisfied. I contacted Kellogg's a couple of years ago but they told me that they had stopped making it. I really miss this wonderful cereal.
#88
planojim
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 175
  • Joined: 2005/03/25 09:52:00
  • Location: plano, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/12/27 15:28:59 (permalink)
anyone remember Kellogs Banana Frosted Flakes?

I remember eating them, that awful, awful sugary sweet artificial banana flavor. Wow were they good.

#89
Big Ugly Mich
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1302
  • Joined: 2004/01/12 10:16:00
  • Location: Trevor, WI
  • Status: offline
RE: Discontinued Cereals 2006/12/27 15:36:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BrooklynBill
How about Kellogg's Pep?
I ate it religiously just to get a comic button pin or a military logo pin.
It also sponsored the Superman Radio Program, which offered great things that you could send away for, if you included a Pep box top.
I really hated that cereal!

Bill
Reminds me how I roared when Peter Billingsley was furiously trying to use his Ovaltine code key to find the Secret Message while everyone else in the house was trying to get in the bathroom, and he was depressed when said message was shilling consumption of more Ovaltine.
quote:
Originally posted by Vince Macek
I remember when Crispy Critters cereal came for a short time with pink elephant-shape pieces - yes, the symbol of drunken hallucinations. It sure was another time.
I love that scene in Dumbo where Dumbo and Timothy got plastered and saw "pink elephants on parade". I wonder how much Walt spent on LSD for the staff who animated that scene.
quote:
Originally posted by Vince MacekQuisp is still around in some places (and available online), not so his nemesis Quake. I remember the great Jay Ward commercials where they fought over whose cereal was better - I recall they were shaped differently but tasted the same. Quake disappeared soon after a makeover that changed him from a hulking miner to a thinner guy with an Aussie bush hat and a little cape. I still can't figure that out...
Quake's cereal had orange kangaroos (that tasted like Tang on Cheerios) that sorta figured in the series of commercials. I loved the cross country race Quisp and Simon (the kangaroo character, maybe it was quangaroo) had, "From Long Island to Lompoc (neither of which I ever heard of at the time, but of course I made it a point to get to Lompoc, CA while in the Navy)", where Quake tried unsuccessfully to postpone the beginning to give them their maps. Stuff tasted pretty funky, even for a pre-teen I was in the sixties, but the commercials were better than other Saturday fare.

On the subject of brazen shilling, does anyone else remember the Post cartoon show that gave the world Sugar Bear, as well as Linus the Lion Hearted (of Crispy Critter fame), and the Postman who shilled Alpha Bits?

In an attempt to get the theme song of that show out of my sub concious, I'm posting the lyrics, at least as I remember them:

Roar Roar Roar ROAR
Linus the Lion Hearted
Roar Roar Roar ROAR
Linus the Lion Hearted
Linus is the one
Who loads up the fun
He's the host who is the most!
So Roar Roar Roar ROAR
Linus the Lion HEARTED!

How about Sugar Bear's nemesis, the Blob, or Cap'n Crunch's Jean la Feet, the barefoot pirate (who made a not bad tasting twist on Cap'n Crunch when "he" added Cinnamon. I remember commercials of him trying to hog all his cereal from us kids, screaming, "It's MINE! MINE!" He would then smash into a live Ray Nitschke [betcha know where I live!], and then say, with obvious contrition, "but I'll SHARE.")

How about BOO-Berries, who would intervene in arguments with Franken-Berry and Count Chocula over who's cereal was better, often with a resounding "BOOO" and whispered "berries".
#90
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1