Discontinued Signature Items?

Author
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1644
2006/08/03 11:14:09 (permalink)

Discontinued Signature Items?

Wondering if anyone has examples of namesake or "signature" items being discontinued from menus.

What got me thinking of this is a thread on Chili Burgers. Maybe 15-odd years ago I went to Chili's for the first time and they had a pretty darn good Chili Burger (it had the name of a town in Texas, i think). Over the next few years I went back a few times, then they removed that burger from the menu, but did offer chili as a topping, and of course as a side. Somehow the burger was different and I stopped going to Chili's.

Just took a glance at their website to see if they have a chili burger. At my nearest Chili's not only do they not have a chili burger, I couldn't find chili on the menu! I'm guessing this is regional as you must enter a location to view a menu, but what's the place called again?

Anyone know of others?

14 Replies Related Threads

Rowsdower98
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Discontinued Signature Items? 2006/08/03 21:58:14 (permalink)
    "Notice
    These menu items are shown to give you a representative idea of our menu in many U.S. locations, however, there will be some differences in menu items offered by region in the U.S. and or by country."
    -From the menu section on the webpage for my local Chili's
    So Chili's may very well have a chiliburger somewhere in these United States. Good luck on your search. If I'm not mistaken, Fudrucker's has chili as a burger topping, and Rally's/Checker's has a 99 cent chiliburger on the menu, not to mention all the mom and pop's that have chiliburgers. I've always wanted to try a burger with cincinatti chili on it. My local mall has a Gold Star and a Sonic in the food court, so one of these days I'm going to have to give the Cincinatti chiliburger a try.

I also feel compelled to mention that I dearly miss McDonald's baked pineapple pie.
    Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 397
    RE: Discontinued Signature Items? 2006/08/03 23:42:12 (permalink)
    I see it more as "Chili's",the possesive case I guess,like maybe it belongs to somebody named Chili.Maybe former San Francisco Giant/California Angel/NY Yankee Chili Davis.In my former home town there was a pizza place called Berger's Pizza.Shall I jump on their case because they did not serve hamburgers?
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Discontinued Signature Items? 2006/08/04 10:20:59 (permalink)
    No big deal, I was just wondering if others can think of such radical re-working of a brand. When I first went to Chili's, the theme was chili: the decor was posters of chili cook-offs, chili was featured as a specialty of the menu, etc. Apparently they've decided that, at least in Massachusetts, chili isn't a door-buster (although many local pub-style restaurants serve chili).

But it does seem kind of like A&W without root beer, or as mentioned in another thread, Arby's adding hamburgers.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Discontinued Signature Items? 2006/08/04 20:09:51 (permalink)
    No onion rings at any Popeye's I have been to since '88. That & the RB&R is ALL I ever went for.
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Discontinued Signature Items? 2006/08/08 14:56:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

No onion rings at any Popeye's I have been to since '88. That & the RB&R is ALL I ever went for.

Our Popeyes here in Huntsville, AL, serves onion rings and they are my favorite onion rings. I can get a large order (under $3) and sometimes I just make them my meal. They are large, crispy, with hint of spice, and just plain wonderful. I was under the impression that all Popeyes served onion rings. Wished yours did too so you could enjoy them as much as I do.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6385
    RE: Discontinued Signature Items? 2006/08/12 20:55:27 (permalink)
    I miss the McD's Fried Apple pies, The baked ones are not as good
    that is the one reason I love rally's so much fried apple pies

McD was so worried about our health that they started baking their pies, and did away with the super size, yet they added double filet o fish, triple cheeseburgers, double qtr pounders, and double big mac's

Let us die in peace and bring back the fried pie!!!!!!!!!
    Rowsdower98
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Discontinued Signature Items? 2006/08/12 21:10:35 (permalink)
    Hardees in my area makes a pretty mean fried apple pie. Perfect with a scoop of their vanilla ice cream.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6385
    RE: Discontinued Signature Items? 2006/08/12 21:43:05 (permalink)
    unfortunately our hardees is no longer, hasn't been the same since the burger chef closed and hardees took over, finally it closed and has been since bulldozed.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Discontinued Signature Items? 2006/08/14 18:52:56 (permalink)
    I miss the McD's fried cherry pies. Yes, they were molten, but yes, you could figure out when to bite into them.

Andrea
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15275
    RE: Discontinued Signature Items? 2006/08/14 19:32:54 (permalink)
    Andrea..... The Apple also. The fried Pies just tasted better to me...But the Cherries were very good snacks!1 I think the record number of cherries I ever counted in one pie was 4, but who cares, the hot red Goo was good too!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Discontinued Signature Items? 2006/08/14 19:57:13 (permalink)
    Frings.
    Rowsdower98
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Discontinued Signature Items? 2006/08/14 21:17:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

Frings.

Could you please define Frings for a poor ignorant Junior Burger?
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Discontinued Signature Items? 2006/08/15 19:39:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cajunking

I miss the McD's Fried Apple pies, The baked ones are not as good
    that is the one reason I love rally's so much fried apple pies

McD was so worried about our health that they started baking their pies, and did away with the super size, yet they added double filet o fish, triple cheeseburgers, double qtr pounders, and double big mac's

Let us die in peace and bring back the fried pie!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm. I just saw a sign the other day at a local McDee's that stated:

"Summer Size your order for an additional xx cents"

Looks like old habits are are hard to give up.

Also, it's been so long that I went to McDee's other than for the occasional EggMcMuffin that I didn't realize that they no longer fried their pies. Bummer. The food police have screwed up everything I liked about McDee's. Agreed, that wasn't much but I wish that things were like they were circa the good 'ole days (before 1980 or so...).
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Discontinued Signature Items? 2006/08/16 09:57:45 (permalink)
    Years ago when I was a green as grass peddler I got a very large order from TVA in east Tn. I celebrated at a Shoney's on the far west side of Knoxville (exit after the zoo on 40west Sundancer) w/ a Big Boy burger. At the time it was all I could afford.

However when a few years I later got a huge order from TVA I stopped at the same Shoney's only to find that the Big Boy was no longer on the menu. The big fiberglass Big Boy was also gone...haven't been back since. I now celebrate big orders w/ sushi dinners.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1