Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi.

Author
jinjo76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
2006/03/10 21:51:46 (permalink)

Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi.

I'm poor, so I like to window shop. Just like my posts in the shortwave section, I've always lusted after certain items. Some examples would be Bang & Olufsen, McIntosh, Audio Research et cetera.
Does anyone here have some audio candy they would like to share.

http://www.arcdb.ws/REF610T/REF610T.html

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/feature.aspx

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/web2/home.asp?section=systems

20 Replies Related Threads

stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 359
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/03/10 22:16:51 (permalink)
    How about rotten ear candy Jon, I bought Bang & Olufsen earphones for ipod. I think like $160 or about. Their sound is virtually no different than the ones that come with the ipod. They have a sharp little case,are clip on and they swivel, so what.
    After a couple months and hearing about hearing loss claimed from those "in your ear" types I bought the Bose traditional style noise canceling and they ARE high fidelity. But even those at $299 are not worth twice the price of Sony's I've worn.
    The point ? Upscale Marketing does not neccesarily mean ANYTHING
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 863
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/03/11 09:37:41 (permalink)
    I splurged on some Bang & Olufsen components some 28 years ago when I first earned some good money - I totally lusted after the design, and justified it by the clean, accurate sound of acoustic instruments I heard through the demo models. Didn't get the top-end stuff like the linear-tracking turntable, but it kept me happy until recently when the tuner fritzed out, possibly due to an electrical storm. As I'm using my Bose DVD setup for music now (also happy with) I haven't justified the expense of repairing the B&O - yet.

I also bought a 1959-vintage Telefunken Sonata stereo console out of nostalgia for one we had ages ago - it's been the only way to play my lp records lately, and sounds quite nice, but it too has stopped working. Anyone here know a reputable fix-it place that can deal with old German tube hi-fi's? One in the southeast would be a perfect excuse for a road trip...
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/03/11 11:08:15 (permalink)
    Everyone is different, I guess. I play my mp3s through a Creative Jukebox3 with line out into a Headroom Headphone amp and Sennheiser HD595s, and it sounds pretty good. For trravel I use Etymotic ER4 earbuds. I definitely hear a difference between that setup and cheap headphones through the player's headphone jack.

My home system is built around tubes, electrostatic hybrid speakers, and vinyl. I won't bore you with names, but I dare say it sounds OK enough.

For Christmas I got my daughter a pair of Grado SR60 'phones, because I was tired of buying $20 replacement headphones twice a year. She won't give them up for anything.

Life is too short for crappy food, cheap toilet paper, and lousy sound.
    Big Dave
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/03/11 19:45:57 (permalink)
    My home audio system consists of an HH Scott 222C Stereomaster tube amp and LT-10 FM tuner. Magnavox CD player (gift in 1987) and Technics manual turntable.

My other audio system is a big Zenith color tube TV (rectangular screen) combo with AM/FM stereo and phono. Unfortunately, the radio is solid state, but it still sounds good (5 speakers per side, it should). As I was restoring the radio, I thought the amp was stuck in mono. After making sure the mono switch wasn't sticking, I decided to try to find a schematic (the TV folder didn't have the radio). Since I was redoing my setup, I decided to reassemble the radio back into the cabinet. For the hell of it, I played the radio for a while. I saw that the volume/balance control is actually two seperate volume controls. On a known good FM station, I got true stereo sound.

I did not restore the turntable. I will eventually tie my DVD player into the amp. This will require a modification to the power switch on the TV. There is an additional switch that puts the speakers in mono for the TV. I can modify it easily and it will be reversable. A DVD should sound great coming from this set.

If you want to read all the boring details of the restoration of this Zenith, visit

www.geocities.com/evilfurnaceman
    stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/03/11 20:36:14 (permalink)
    Does anyone know how to record vinyl records and cassettes to cds or computer files ?
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/03/12 06:39:58 (permalink)
    I got a Bose radio for a gift a few years ago its alright, but I wouldn't pay $600 bucks for it, it's just a friggen radio. I am thinking on investing into a DVD player though looks like they are going to catch on. Chow Jim
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/03/13 13:53:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevencarry

Does anyone know how to record vinyl records and cassettes to cds or computer files ?

I used a program called Sound Forge. There are quite a few good ones, that's just one and it might not be the best. Thing is, it's pretty labor intensive, on some LPs you have to put the track stops in yourself (side 2 of Abbey Road, for example). I did 3 albums and decided it wasn't worth it. I have about 5000 records, I'll play 'em on the stereo.

Tom
    stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/03/13 15:50:57 (permalink)
    Tom, thanks for the info. It's just we have gotten so spoiled. My whole CD collection can be tapped anywhere,anytime by just clicking. I am willing (I think) to do the work so my records and cassettes are too.
    gatorbreath
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/03/13 17:39:55 (permalink)
    quote:

Steven,
    I spent the better part of 5 months digitizing a portion of my music collection before I flamed out on it. That was over a year ago so I'm somewhat rusty. But I'd be glad to offer you what little experience I gathered. It's really not that hard a thing to do but the results you get won't ever be any better than than what you start with. That is why I haven't even thought about doing vinyl yet. My vinyl collection isn't very "clean." I started with CDs which are very easy and moved on to cassettes. Part of what drove me was to see how much mp3 music I could get on a single CD. I have one compilation that is nearly 8 hours long. The best part of the whole process is that the only cash outlay I've had is for a single cable from Radio Shack (about $6) and blank CDs. Email me if you want to know about it. Include Roadfood on subject line.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/03/13 20:23:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by gatorbreath

quote:

Steven,
    I spent the better part of 5 months digitizing a portion of my music collection before I flamed out on it. That was over a year ago so I'm somewhat rusty. But I'd be glad to offer you what little experience I gathered. It's really not that hard a thing to do but the results you get won't ever be any better than than what you start with. That is why I haven't even thought about doing vinyl yet. My vinyl collection isn't very "clean." I started with CDs which are very easy and moved on to cassettes. Part of what drove me was to see how much mp3 music I could get on a single CD. I have one compilation that is nearly 8 hours long. The best part of the whole process is that the only cash outlay I've had is for a single cable from Radio Shack (about $6) and blank CDs. Email me if you want to know about it. Include Roadfood on subject line.

From what I understand, if you run the turntable into the computers sound card input, you need a pre-amp to bring up the audio levels..

http://www.pcabusers.net/vinyllp/vinyllp.htm

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

gatorbreath
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/03/14 17:09:44 (permalink)
    UV
    What is the purpose of your quoted reference?. Was there something cited earlier contrary to your statement? Why the quote?
    Inquiring minds want to know?
    gb
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/03/14 19:32:57 (permalink)
    I have an old Sansui 771 reciever in the back room which puts out a much sweeter sound than my Sony home theater which puts out about a million watts.
    dogmeat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/03/14 23:19:05 (permalink)
    After a tough day in the kitchen, long after the dining crowds have gone, the bar rumbles it's roots from a McIntosh 2500 (500 watts per side) via a pair of Klipsch La Scalas playing concert DVDs to Pioneer Plasmas. I could have spent the $$$ on a fancier oven but I have priorities!!

quality used stuff is the way to go!!!
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/03/14 23:19:26 (permalink)
    Uncle Vic is correct. The links are pretty good, I think; one is to detailed instructions and the other is to a free sound editing program.

I used the "line out" jacks from the back of my preamp; if you are using a tuner, use "tape out".

My biggest beef with transcribing vinyl is that you have to do it in real time. And then setting the song breaks takes even more time. My collection is between "exceptionally clean" and "pristine", but anything less than that will need click-and-pop editing as well.

You can download the stuff, from Russia, at Allofmp3.com for around a buck or two an album.

Tom
    stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/03/14 23:28:32 (permalink)
    Thanks Tom and everyone, I have a 100's of 45's that have a lot of crackle and cannot be found anywhere which doesn't bother me playing them but from listening to everyone it sounds like it gets 10 times worse hence the editing.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/03/15 02:49:31 (permalink)
    Sorry Gatorbreath.. Stevencarry included Vinyl in his question (along with tapes). Cable alone between the turntable and sound card wont cut it.. It can be done, but you have to crank up the input levels to a point you'll be introducing extra noise into your recording. Was just putting the 2 together for a point (as made in my response, along with links to some resources). Hopefully that will somewhat clarify my post.
    gatorbreath
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/03/15 12:03:50 (permalink)
    UV,
    No big deal. I sometimes see people using the quote function and and scratch my head wondering why they are using it. It seems they just automatically hit the "reply with quote" button rather than the simpler "Reply to Topic." When the first reply to a topic includes a quote I really get the dandruff flying.
    Tedbear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/04/04 18:42:14 (permalink)
    My car (a Subaru Outback H-6 3.0 VDC) is the only model of car made with a McIntosh stereo system as standard equipment. (In fact, I'm not even sure if you can buy an after-market McIntosh system for cars.)
    EDIT: I just checked the McIntosh website, and sure enough, they now manufacture after-market audio equipment for cars. However, I believe that my car model is the only one that comes factory-equipped with a McIntosh system.

As you might imagine, the quality of the sound is truly superb. While I listen to NPR and Bloomberg Radio most of the time, when I crank up the volume on a high-quality CD, the sound quality of this system is incredible. Since I would never spend the amount of money necessary to have a McIntosh system in my home (most likely in the thousands of $$), it is really nice to have this luxury in my car.
    octopus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 264
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/04/07 15:24:22 (permalink)
    Home Equipment: Sony DVD Player, Sony ES 5 CD Changer, Onkyo Interga Power Amp. Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) speakers, Cost 800.00 for the pair. about 1000 cd's and 200 dvd's and too many old VHS tapes.
    Mobile I have a 30 gig Creative Labs Nomad Zen Xtra MP3 player with about 3600 songs on it currently, that I have purchased 2 sets of headphones for: 1 pair of Sennheiser px-100's and a pair of Sony soft chusion earbuds.
    Next Major Purchase The Bose Lifestyle system which cost a cool 3000.00 bucks. Drivin' the wife crazy over that, she is tried of hearing about it. Not too mention the Flat Panel I want.
    dogmeat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Discussions about esoteric Hi-Fi. 2006/04/08 09:15:33 (permalink)
    Here is a great link (http://www.audiogon.com/) for quality stuff that might be more reasonable from people that are constantly trading or have changing audio philosophies. I've bought some electronics and a set of speakers or two and have been very pleased. Some dealer demos,trade-ins and a couple from individuals who are upgrading their systems.

Check out the virtual systems that people post, they are unbelieveable! $1500 for speaker cables?

Have fun while you cook.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1