Disneyland LA Restaurant Help

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/30 01:11:59 (permalink)
What Ed Sails said. 100% 

Except the chicken dinner @ Knott's Berry Farm is so good, I'd fly out there just for that, and the berry punch. My God. The. Berry. Punch.

EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4040
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/30 01:45:03 (permalink)
My God, Stricken Detective, you're right. I completely forgot Knotts for some reason-----and the fried chicken and chicken fried steak there is awesome. Again, PNWChef, it's probably less than 20 minutes from your hotel and they may even have a shuttle going there. The only problem I forsee is that your daughter might want to go into the park! The restaurant itself is located on Knotts Berry Farm property, but it's accessible without having to enter the park and pay park admission. BTW, your daughter and wife will love walking through the shops next to the restaurant and it's a hoot that one of the roller coasters goes directly over the restaurant's parking area. The waitstaff dress like when Mrs. Walter Knott first opened the place in the 30's and the Boysenberry Pie is still the best!

http://www.knotts.com/pub...e/mrs_knotts.cfm 

Mrs. Knott's Chicken Restaurant
8039 Beach Boulevard
Buena Park, CA 90620 
(714) 220-5200

pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2419
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/30 08:46:49 (permalink)
I agree, Mar posted about the Chicken at Knotts in the second post, it's pretty hard to get one by Mar. I figure Downtown Disney will play a roll for eating because of the convenience. We are staying across the street from the main gate so the little one could do all the drawing classes in California Adventure. I'm not worried about her wanting to get into Knottsberry farm for the rides, she has a weeks pass for Disney, that should keep her amused. Thanks to all for the help, this should keep up in a good selection of restaurants for the week. You Guys and Gals are wealth of information for quality and fun food choices.....................PNWC

P.S. Ed ???? whats on a Double Double Animal at In N Out Burger and why extra crisp fries, are they a bit under done because of being fresh cut, or is it a personal favorite way of eating fries.................
post edited by PNWCHEF - 2011/03/30 09:48:07
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/30 11:28:46 (permalink)
PNWCHEF, I read a 5 Guys is opening up a day before you get to Disneyland, and right nevt to where you're staying... now you don't have to waste time visiting all the other places mentioned...damn you lead a charmed life!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18483
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/30 11:44:04 (permalink)
Wow! A Five Guys.
pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/30 11:46:21 (permalink)
chewingthefat

PNWCHEF, I read a 5 Guys is opening up a day before you get to Disneyland, and right nevt to where you're staying... now you don't have to waste time visiting all the other places mentioned...damn you lead a charmed life!

Chewy, I can order from my computer, open my lanai door and have them throw it up to me, I now need to figure out the beer situation............I hope your right.................I never drink and walk............PNWC
I just knew Michael would be excited !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post edited by PNWCHEF - 2011/03/30 11:47:42
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7959
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/30 12:58:33 (permalink)
Knott's is a place that I always take out of towners if they'd like.  Have the rhubarb as a side dish.  It's delicious and NOT sour!

If there and you can't buy Knott's jams and jellies in your local grocery stores the boysenberry (seedless is my preference) and blackberry are fantastic.  (Mr. Knott's had a hand in developing the boysenberry)  Remember to have them wrap for travel and be sure to pack the jars in the luggage that you will be checking.

I have a year's pass to the Disney properties.  The restaurants in California Adventure are surprisingly not bad.  You can even get a beer in California Adverture while there is no alcohol served at Disneyland.

In Disneyland take a pass on almost everything except for maybe a hot fudge sundae while watching a fun performance in the Golden Horseshoe in Frontierland.  It's a great live show and a place to rest your feet!  The pineapple whip at the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room is delicious and the show is also worth the wait.

The last time there I ate at the New Orleans inspired restaurant in Downtown Disney.  It was fair with small portions.  The other places in Downtown Disney are basically chains.

Most important tip while at the Disney properties:  Take the monorail between the two properties to save your tired feet!  One more... to rest you can get on the train and ride around and around Disneyland and get off at the land that you want.  You don't have to walk!  (Is my age showing?)  You can also ride the monorail around and around and even get off in the Disneyland Hotel where you might find transportation to other venues.

However you get around and whatever you end up doing, I hope to get to share a little time with you and your family.  I'd love to meet all of you.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/30 13:43:24 (permalink)
One more warning!!!

Not food related, but...

In California Adventure there is a raft sort of ride in round shaped rafts.  It's a water ride.  There is a 110%chance that you'll be drenched.  Buy the cheap slickers in the gift shop prior to riding.

Also, if you're prone to car or air sickness....

I was seated backwards in this ride and it ruined the next hour for me.  Try to sit facing forward.

Seems that Space Mountain also does the same thing to me.

I'm a whimp.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/30 13:49:34 (permalink)
I'm obviously bored today with too much time on my hands.

Animal style and other "secret" In 'n Out menu items here:

http://www.badmouth.net/in-n-outs-secret-menu/
pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/30 14:21:00 (permalink)
Mar, I went on the raft ride in Florida, it was hot so it was ok. I don't think it's all that hot in California right now is it ????? We only do the rides Mollie wants to do now, I'm long past being excited about the rides. I guess I still like the teacups and Dumbo, but that when my buddies aren't watching.....................
pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/30 14:32:13 (permalink)
mar52

I'm obviously bored today with too much time on my hands.

Animal style and other "secret" In 'n Out menu items here:

Great info, I have my order ready........2x2 animal style extra done fries, rootbeer float.....Thanks Mar................PNWC..........p.s. a few more days I could answer your PM..not easy being the new guy..........also, out of Respect for you we are staying at Ho-Jo's
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/30 14:33:07 (permalink)
You do the teacups?  I know just by looking at them that they are on my DO NOT DO list.  I do the wussy rides.

Yesterday it was in the 60s.  Today it should be in the 80s and they're talking about the 90s for tomorrow.
Who knows what it will be like in a week! 

You can always remove layers of clothing.

I found out on my last trip there that they have expensive ($7) lockers where you can store things like clothing and purchases.   They are hidden in Mainstreet Disneyland if needed.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18483
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/30 15:51:28 (permalink)
Sorry about your lousy weather out there in La La Land. Here it's snowing and I have about an inch so far. Gotta go get the cross-country skis out again.

My woods are lovely, white, not deep ... with apologies to Robert Frost
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2011/03/30 15:53:48
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/31 01:23:05 (permalink)
PNWC,
If you go to Wal Mart they have those rain ponchos for I believe 88 cents each. As Mar said, they are a wise investment. The pack is about the size of a business card and not much thicker so it's easy to throw in a pocket. They really saved me on my last cruise!
Thanks Marlene for directing him to the secret menu. If you're going to order at In-n-Out, you gotta get the right stuff! Yes, that is personal preference---I just like fries with real crispy exteriors. And Animal style adds some nice layers of flavor. 
I guess I'm still crazy about the fast rides. My favorites are California Screamin', the Matterhorn and Space Mountain. I am not sure of the status of my other favorite, Soaring Over California----I thought I read something about them closing it to make some changes. I think that info is probably on Disney's website.
If the weather holds it should be in the 60's and 70's during the days and down in the 50's at night. I know you've got snow, Michael----but the 50's seems cold to me these days! Ho-Jo's is actually a nice place and a great location---I've had friends stay there before. You probably could always run back there for jackets if you don't want to use the lockers-----it's not too far.
I've been wanting to rendezvous with Marlene and meet her so if you decide to do a meal out and she can meet up with you I'd love to join you too. If you set it up with her and it works, I'm just 20 minutes from the Park. It would be nice to meet you and your family. I stopped going myself to the Park a while ago-----my daughter was a "cast member" for 3 years and I was there practically every few weeks for that time. It was enough to hold me for a while!

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/31 09:23:16 (permalink)
Quote....WJ
It was good but I guess I was expecting something unique- We have a big Armenian population here in Rhode Island and I guess I really didn't know what to expect but what I got is exactly what they serve at the Armenian Church Festivals they have here right down to the garlic stuff they serve with the chicken.

From PNWC:
Thats the thing, for us who don't have this kind of access to different kinds of foods, it is Unique. I read a few reviews on Yelp, some people didn't like this place because it was a walk up, fast food looking kind of place. I love these kinds of places, I look for good, Unique food choices and not ambience. I would take a great food item and eat it sitting on the curb. The area we live in Washington doesn't offer the diverse foods found in California. Kantou chicken would be a real treat for my wife and myself, for these reasons. ..............PNWC

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/31 09:32:51 (permalink)
EdSails, we will keep in touch the early part of next week. The menu at KanKou has wraps and Chicken dinner's ???? are you better off getting the Chicken dinner with the Garlic sauce, or are the wraps the way to go. If figure the Garlic sauce is like Tzakziki sauce without the cucumbers, is that about right ???????????  Thanks for the help ........PNWC
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7849
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/31 09:55:37 (permalink)
PNWCHEF 

If figure the Garlic sauce is like Tzakziki sauce without the cucumbers, is that about right ???????????  Thanks for the help ........PNWC

If I can recall- the sauce is served on the side in a container. It has a semi solid consistency- almost like cream cheese. I was expecting more or less an olive oil, garlic rosemary concoction, so when I saw what I was served, it  was all very familiar to me
pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/31 10:49:47 (permalink)
wanderingjew

PNWCHEF 

If figure the Garlic sauce is like Tzakziki sauce without the cucumbers, is that about right ???????????  Thanks for the help ........PNWC

If I can recall- the sauce is served on the side in a container. It has a semi solid consistency- almost like cream cheese. I was expecting more or less an olive oil, garlic rosemary concoction, so when I saw what I was served, it  was all very familiar to me

WJ, I don't think I ever had a sauce like the one you described. Everyone one brags about the sauce, that's good enough for me............I saw on the news this week about food dye in foods affecting kids with ADHD, I will be putting my little girl on natural juices, so it looks like California has an abundance of Juice Bars............Thanks PNWC
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/31 12:19:12 (permalink)
That garlic sauce/spread is excellent.  I've heard it's made with potatoes.  I'd go with the chicken because I think that the wrap takes away from the flavor.

EdSails, this is a perfect time to meet up.  It should be fun.

Here's a copycat recipe from food.com

http://www.food.com/recip...c-sauce-copycat-199352

EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/31 13:14:08 (permalink)
Zankou has it available in wraps (pita bread), as plates of 1/2 and 1/4 chicken with side dishes and as chicken tarna and kebabs. 
Here's the menu.
http://www.zankouchicken....6_WLAMENU_Internet.pdf
Yes, it seems like an excellent place to meet!

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/31 14:44:00 (permalink)
Is it passable this could be the white garlic sauce ???????
THis from a source off another post:
It seems everyone is confused about this sidedish. We have something like that in Cyprus which comes as a dip with kebabs (grilled meat), and also at taverns when you drink. It might be that.
Mix some tahini (sesame paste) with lemon juice. Add a little tepid water to make it a smooth and whitish paste. Add as much crushed garlic as you like, and salt to taste. Decorate it with freshly chopped parsley. The amount of lemon juice depends on your palate, and the amount of water is decided by the smoothness and thickness of the dip. Some like it thick, some like it softer.
Mar and Ed, I bet we could come up with what this sauce is made with....................PNWC
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/31 15:07:02 (permalink)
No tahini anywhere near it.  It's almost a clear white.  Looking forward to hearing your take on it.

Off to my CPA now.  YIKES!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/31 17:31:58 (permalink)
That recipe you posted sounds just about right, Marlene. There's definitely no tahini taste to it. 
pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/01 15:42:54 (permalink)
Hey Mar & EdSails.....My wife told my Son and the IN N Out burger in LA, the first thing he said was, wait until I get there on Thursday, he wants to go. You can see by this post what  a class act we are, It's like the Clampetts moving to Beverly Hills................
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/01 17:13:28 (permalink)
Well if you prefer I can see if there's a place around D'Land that serves possum stew.....

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/01 17:52:39 (permalink)
Going to need my Davy Crockett Raccoon Tail Hat for that good looking stew..........
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/02 13:53:57 (permalink)
that'll be easy. They sell them in the shops in Frontierland!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7849
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/02 14:25:15 (permalink)
PNW Chef-

You know, I hate to recommend places I've never been to, but if you can't make it to Juices Fountain in Hollywood (an easy light rail ride from downtown LA) , I was looking at urbanspoon.com and with a 93 % approval rating
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/20/241252/restaurant/OC/Cancun-Juice-Anaheim

And a four star approval rating on yelp
http://www.yelp.com/biz/cancun-juice-anaheim#query:cancun%20juice

This place seems promising
http://www.cancunjuice.net./

post edited by wanderingjew - 2011/04/02 14:30:39
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/02 15:55:42 (permalink)
It does look promising, will have to check it out.

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/02 16:40:27 (permalink)
wanderingjew

PNW Chef-

You know, I hate to recommend places I've never been to, but if you can't make it to Juices Fountain in Hollywood (an easy light rail ride from downtown LA) , I was looking at urbanspoon.com and with a 93 % approval rating

And a four star approval rating on yelp

This place seems promising

The Tortas look real good, It looks like they have a great detail toward Natural........Thats a good thing....................Thanks WJ................PNWC
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1