Disneyland LA Restaurant Help

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2375
2011/03/28 16:44:49 (permalink)

Disneyland LA Restaurant Help

I'll be in LA for a week starting Sunday 4/3/2011, I'm not renting a car because my wife goes nuts with the traffic and makes my life a challenge during rush hour. So to keep everyone sane, I have decided not to rent a car and stay married. We are staying right across the street for the main gate at Disney and plan to take a few taxis to a few Restaurants I want to show them. One Restaurant is Umami burger, I would consider this a Roadfood Kind of place. In N Out Burger for the second choice, I think there is one with in a good range of the Hotel. I would also like to get to Philippe's, another Roadfood favorite. Does anyone have any Ideas for a close Taxi ride, that may be a Must eat Roadfood idea, I will have my 10 year old little girl and my wife with me..............Thanks for the help........PNWC

163 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7845
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/28 20:23:36 (permalink)
    Hello from Los Angeles!

How many in your family?  Just three?  My SUV knows the way to Phillipe's blindfolded.

I can't think of any Roadfood type places near the Disney properties, but right down the street from Phillipe's is Cielito Lindo, home of the best taquitos in the country.

This happens to be my second week of unemployment so I have some time on my hands.  I'd love to take you and yours around the city.  Your wife can't divorce me!

How about a hot dog at Skooby's and then showing your daughter the Hollywood sign and Grauman's Chinese Theater?

The fried chicken at Knott's Berry Farm is sort of Roadfoodish, but it might be difficult "not" taking your daughter inside for the awful rides.

Just let me know as it would be my pleasure.
    pnwchef
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/28 20:43:41 (permalink)
    mar52

Hello from Los Angeles!

How many in your family?  Just three?  My SUV knows the way to Phillipe's blindfolded.

I can't think of any Roadfood type places near the Disney properties, but right down the street from Phillipe's is Cielito Lindo, home of the best taquitos in the country.

This happens to be my second week of unemployment so I have some time on my hands.  I'd love to take you and yours around the city.  Your wife can't divorce me!

How about a hot dog at Skooby's and then showing your daughter the Hollywood sign and Grauman's Chinese Theater?

The fried chicken at Knott's Berry Farm is sort of Roadfoodish, but it might be difficult "not" taking your daughter inside for the awful rides.

Just let me know as it would be my pleasure.

You are a sweetheart Mar, I will have to let you know when we get there. Things happen to us on vacation, the best laid plans go to heck in a hand basket, I will keep in touch......I can think of no one better to have a Roadfood adventure with..........thank you for your kindness...................PNWC
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/28 21:07:06 (permalink)
    PNWC, I'm looking forward to hearing from you.  

You would have to rob a bank to take a taxi to Phillipe's from Disneyland.  Then there's that ride back.

Edit:  A band might have more money than a bank, but I had to fix it.  

post edited by mar52 - 2011/03/28 21:19:39
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7771
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/28 21:12:01 (permalink)
    If you're going to be in Hollywood- and want some real
    GEN-U-WINE Southern California Roadfood- then you have to try some of the Smoothies at Juices Fountain.
    It's been around for several decades and is owned by a family from Columbia

The first thing I noticed about Southern California is the inundation of local independent juice bars (as well as the chains such as Jamba Juice) which started in the LA area- and the quality exceeds anything else I've had in the rest of the country.

Juices Fountain doesn't have a website- but
    here is their review on Yelp
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/juices-fountain-hollywood

Burgers are Burgers- you can get the same quality of burger in Kennewick WA that you can in LA- I'm personally  not a fan of In and Out- it was "ok" but nothing mind blowing- but I know that others think its the be all end all
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2011/03/28 21:13:04
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/28 21:33:09 (permalink)
    I also don't think In 'n Out burgers are anything special, but you can get them with grilled onions! That's not bad.

However, you can't say you've had one unless you have.

Dale, I don't notice the smoothie places because I see them everywhere.  Most seem to be chains.
    pnwchef
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/28 21:38:27 (permalink)
    mar52

I also don't think In 'n Out burgers are anything special, but you can get them with grilled onions! That's not bad.

However, you can't say you've had one unless you have.

Dale, I don't notice the smoothie places because I see them everywhere.  Most seem to be chains.

Mar, I can be talked out of anything when there is a better choice. I have heard a lot about In N Out from other Roadfooders. It looks like they do a great job for being a chain operation. I just like to go to places that put there heart and soul in what they do.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/28 21:48:20 (permalink)
    I won't talk you out of an In 'n Out.  You should be able to make your own opinion.

Sadly, my favorite hamburger place closed a few years ago.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/28 22:28:47 (permalink)
    mar52

Having lived in the NYC area, Albuquerque, Seattle, Pittsburgh and now Rhode Island they've been non existent everywhere I guess that's why I noticed them out  in So-Cal-  it seems that most of them are Latino owned and operated which also kind of surprises me that they didn't seem to exist in Albuquerque- lots of Horchatas - but no Smoothies .

post edited by wanderingjew - 2011/03/28 22:30:16
    pnwchef
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 10:09:18 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

mar52

Having lived in the NYC area, Albuquerque, Seattle, Pittsburgh and now Rhode Island they've been non existent everywhere I guess that's why I noticed them out  in So-Cal-  it seems that most of them are Latino owned and operated which also kind of surprises me that they didn't seem to exist in Albuquerque- lots of Horchatas - but no Smoothies .

Thanks WJ, I don't think my little 10 year old ever went to a juice bar she didn't like.
    eagle6894
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 12:23:44 (permalink)
    It would cost  a ton of money to get to LA from Disney. I would go to Long Beach to Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. I think in Buena Park is a little red building called the Little Red Caboose, small and great Mexican Food.  I think you have to try IN-N-OUT if your in SOCAL!!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 15:02:51 (permalink)
    eagle6894

It would cost  a ton of money to get to LA from Disney. I would go to Long Beach to Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. I think in Buena Park is a little red building called the Little Red Caboose, small and great Mexican Food.  I think you have to try IN-N-OUT if your in SOCAL!!

I'd still gladly pay  full market price (perhaps 2x market price) for one burger at the Penguin in your neck of the woods over a lifetime supply of free In-n-Out Burgers

PNW Chief

You may want to consider the rapid rail system. I'm not sure if it runs through Anaheim, but you can take it from Long Beach into Downtown and Hollywood

post edited by wanderingjew - 2011/03/29 15:10:02
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18387
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 16:56:40 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

mar52

Heck, we even have a couple of smoothie places in Gahanna, although I don't want to know what a smoothie is.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 16:59:56 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

wanderingjew

mar52

Heck, we even have a couple of smoothie places in Gahanna, although I don't want to know what a smoothie is.

I'm talking hundreds if not "thousands" in the So- Cal area-

In other parts of the country I've seen coffee shops "double" as smoothie/juice bars, unfortunately they are made of mixes, syrups and powders, or if you're lucky enough old fruit that's been frozen for G-d knows how long.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 17:06:58 (permalink)
    Long Beach isn't that close to Disneyland.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 17:15:12 (permalink)
    There's one of those smoothie places called Smoothie King just up the road from me. I guess there must be people who eat those things -- or drink them. I don't know what you do with a smoothie thing.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 17:35:08 (permalink)
    PNW, I'll bet there is a Pollo Loco nearby where your staying, it's a chain, but it's really good. At least last time I chowed there, they marinate chicken in citrus then charbroil it, served with warm tacos. Mayor Al will back me on this one...I think!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 17:38:41 (permalink)
    I will also back you on Pollo Loco.  The only problem is that they're using smaller chickens.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 17:43:27 (permalink)
    mar52

Long Beach isn't that close to Disneyland.

Then why on earth did someone suggest recommendations in Long Beach?

Anyway, I found out that there is a rail stop near Angel Stadium in Anaheim  about 2 1/2 miles from Disney- I think it's a metro link stop - that  goes to Union Station
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 17:44:06 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

There's one of those smoothie places called Smoothie King just up the road from me. I guess there must be people who eat those things -- or drink them. I don't know what you do with a smoothie thing.

Yeah, that's a national chain- you know- like McDonalds!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 17:54:46 (permalink)
    It's a chain? I had no idea.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3967
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 18:57:07 (permalink)
    Hi PNW CHef,
    Ok, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. First, there is an Amtrak Station at Angel Stadium in Anaheim (it's literally in the baseball stadium parking lot). I would wager there is bus transport from Disneyland to there. From there, you can take the train to Union Station downtown. Phillipe's is right across the street from the station. When you eat, try to get a seat in the "circus room" off to the side in the front-----they have neat old photos as well as classic train models. After that, you are in walking distance to both Chinatown and Olvera Street----both touristy but possibly worth a look. Back on the train and you're in Anaheim in less than an hour. 
    Around the stadium, you have plenty of eating choices. Some may require a taxi but you might inquire if your hotel has a local shuttle---many in the area do and will take you places for a nominal fee. Roadfood-wise, it really depends on what you want. In-n-Out is a chain, but they are not like the usual chain----food is made fresh at each location. Kids love it too. My suggestion (off the secret menu)--a Double Double Animal Style with well-done fries. There is one on Brookhurst in Anaheim and one on Harbor Bl. in Fullerton, both less than a few miles from D'Land. 
    For a more upscale burger experience there is the Catch in anaheim, a new location for an old restaurant. They are pretty much walking distance from the Anaheim Metrolink Station (the train station is on the east side of the stadium parking lot and the Catch is on the west side of the parking lot. Might be fun to go to Phillipe's for lunch and the Catch for dinner. They are more upscale but I don't see any reason why your daughter wouldn't enjoy the liveliness. They also have burgers and sandwiches but those are primarily at lunch, so if that's what you are looking for maybe it's another day's visit for lunch. They even have a Primanti Bros. style sandwich! There are half a dozen different burgers on the menu. I can highly vouch for their food---it's delicious.
    Near the In-n-Out in Anaheim is an area known as "Little Arabia". Not far awayon the way to and from Disneyland, are two of my favorite place. On Ball Road, there is a strip mall that caters to a Middle Eastern clientele. Stop first at Zankou chicken, for the best rotisserie chicken you've ever had. Make sure you try the garlic sauce! Their shwarma is also delicious. They have the fast-food style ordering----place and pickup at the counter----but the food is definitely not fast food. Well worth a try. Once you are almost stuffed, walk next door to Sarkis Pastry. They have many different types of baklava as well as enough other delicious sweet items to keep your daughter happy. From there, it's less than 10 minutes back to Disneyland. 
    One other nearby place I can highly recommend is Johnny Reb's. It's allso less than 10 minutes from the Park. They are definitely Roadfood----it's a Southern Roadhouse. Very kid friendly and fun. Food is really good and they serve breakfast lunch and dinner. My favorites are the chicken fried steak, fried catfish and the smoked ribs. The greens and hush puppies are outstanding and beans excellent. They also will give you seconds on the sides if you ask. If by any chance it's near your daughter's birthday, let them know----so much the better. My daughter still loves to go there for her birthday!
    Finally, if you do want another burger place that has some Mexican items, there is Varsity Burgers of Anaheim. Better than average burgers with some Mexican specialties. Worth trying if you have the time, but the other places I've listed are my first choices. 
    If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I'll see what I can do do help suggest. And if you decide you have the time, I'd be happy to join you at one of the places----I'm only about 20 minutes from Disneyland. Enjoy!
    Ed

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/

In-N-Out Burger
    600 S. Brookhurst
    ANAHEIM, CA 92804
    www.in-n-out.com

The Catch at Anaheim
    2100 E. Katella Ave. 
    Anaheim, CA 92806
    714-935-0101
    www.catchanaheim.com

Zankou Chicken
    2424 W. Ball Rd. #S & T
    Anaheim, 92804
    (714) 229.2060 
    www.zankouchicken.com

Sarkis Pastry
    2424 Ball Rd.
    Anaheim, CA 92804
    1-714-995-6663
    www.sarkispastry.com

Johnny Reb's Southern Roadhouse
    2940 East Chapman Avenue
    Orange, CA 92869-3704
    (714) 633-3369
    www.johnnyrebs.com

Varsity Burgers of Anaheim
    600 west lincoln ave
    Anaheim, CA 92805
    714-956-2772
    www.varsityburgers.com

Philippe The Original
    1001 N. Alameda St.
    Los Angeles, CA 90012
    (213) 628-3781
    www.philippes.com/
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 19:04:25 (permalink)
    Is this a great place, or what? So much information and help being offered.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 19:11:58 (permalink)
    Johnny Reb's  That's a great suggestion for barbecue. I've driven to the Long Beach location and can say that I really enjoyed it.

Zankou is also great.  Can't beat that garlic sauce.  Be sure to eat all of your turnip pickles.

Our rail system is great if it's around the areas where you are going.  I've never been able to use it.  
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 19:25:12 (permalink)
    I'll bet you say that about all the rails.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 19:26:59 (permalink)
    Only the parallel sort.
    pnwchef
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 20:07:18 (permalink)
    EdSails, I could not have asked for better choices of Restaurants. Zankau, is right up my alley of foods I love, If I take my wife there the first night, I guarantee she will want a return visit. The pastry shop next door sounds good, My little girl was asking me about Baklava, It was talked about in a book she was reading, I told her I would take her for some soon. I always need to plan these out, some times the day gets away from us, when a 10 year old is not wanting to miss anything at the park. Thanks for the help, I respect your picks, opinions, and reviews from your posts.............PNWC
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 20:11:04 (permalink)
    At least for Phillipe's and that section of downtown, it's very convenient. I used to use it back in my USC days and the train was a nice ride. Walk out the front door of the station, cross the street and you're in Phillipe's. Walk another few feet and you're at CBS Seafood (good Hong Kong style dim sum, served off the carts and very reasonable). A few more blocks and you're in Olvera Street, the site of the beginning of Los Angeles and a tourist mecca fore years, albeit with overpriced margaritas and Mexican food and tacky souvenirs. Fun place for kids though! Depending on when you go to Olvera Street, they will have Mexican Mariachi music, dancers and sometimes pinatas for the kids. Depending on the train schedule and your time, doing all three is feasible in a morning and afternoon. Back on the train before dark and you've seen a lot in one day.

CBS Seafood
    700 North Spring Street
    Los Angeles, CA 90012-2824
    (213) 617-2323

Olvera Street
    845 N Alameda St,
    Los Angeles, California 90012
    (213) 628-1274 ‎
    www.olverastreet.com
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 20:19:20 (permalink)
    Thanks, PNWC. On the days when it's too busy to leave, it's nice to take the Monorail to Downtown Disney. Right at the monorail station are House of Blues, Brennan's Jazz Kitchen and the Jazz Kitchen Express. All are family friendly and offer the chance to have something different than just the park food. Besides, the monorail is an ideal ride when the adults need a breather and the kid still wants a ride!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/03/29 20:46:36 (permalink)
    Ed's the man when it comes to finding great Roadfood in the LA area! 

I remember Elise T telling me about Zankou Chicken and insisting that I had to go when I visited 2 years ago (you remember, Mar- yes?).

It was good but I guess I was expecting something unique- We have a big Armenian population here in Rhode Island and I guess I really didn't know what to expect but what I got is exactly what they serve at the Armenian Church Festivals they have here right down to the garlic stuff they serve with the chicken.
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1