Disneyworld Food Ideas?

Author
Ted Steak
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 60
2003/10/06 19:00:50 (permalink)

Disneyworld Food Ideas?

I'm taking my first trek down to Disneyworld this week & would like to hear suggestions from someone who's been there as to what are the better eating establishments I should seek out while there. I'm there for a week, so I have time to check some of the good places out, thanks!

24 Replies Related Threads

LizzieR
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/06 21:18:23 (permalink)
    If you go to Disney's MGM, go to the diner which is like a 1950s comfort food kitchen. The food is good and the waitresses will treat you like their kids. Very kitschy and cute. Food is good too.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/06 22:50:28 (permalink)
    If you are staying onsite and can get a reservation, make sure you try the Flying Fish. Excellent restaurant.

In Epcot, there are many good choices in the different countries around the lake. France, Morocco, Japan, etc.

Have fun.

John
    hawkeyejohn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/07 10:03:39 (permalink)
    As a many time visitor to WDW, I have a few favorites. I highly recommend the Restaurant Akerhaus in Norway and the sit down restaurant in Mexico in Epcot, either of the restaurants in the Wilderness Lodge, the Cape May Cafe in the Beach Club for sit down. For fast food, the Columbia Harbor House in the Magic Kingdom, the Tusker House in the Animal Kingdom, the Fish 'n' Chip stand in England in Epcot. Also, Captain Jack's and the House of Blues in Downtown Disney, where dessert is a trip to the Ghiradelli Soda Fountain.
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/07 10:17:17 (permalink)
    Three recommendations (having visited the Mouse twice in the last two years):

1. If you have kids, any of the character breakfasts (especially at the Contemporary Hotel).
    2. O'Hana's in the Polynesian Resort (great, Polynesian-themed, open-air restaurant with kids activities and great food).
    3. The Biergarten in the Germany section of Epcot. Good entertainment and very good fare.

Enjoy! Better advice: Keep your sanity!
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/07 12:01:34 (permalink)
    The Brown Derby (like the old Hollywood Haunt) at MGM is charming and a bit of a splurge.

Avoid the futuristic burger/fries place in the Magic Kingdom...overpriced and awful.

The San Angel Inn (Mexico) and Restaruant Marrakesh (Morroco) were both quite good in Epcot, and I can't really remember the rest. These are below-average (for Roadfooders) Chow Vacations.

At Universal, Bob Marley's and the NASCAR place had nice scenery, but the food was subpar.
    The cheeseburgers at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville were yummy...and Emeril's a ****, but $$$ Anniversary treat (get the gumbo!).

booboobirdie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/07 12:54:16 (permalink)
    The steak restaurant in Canada at Epcot is exceptional. And the sushi in Japan at Epcot was also great.
    And, off the food topic (please forgive), the Cirque du Soleil show at Downtown Disney is one of the most amazing shows I've ever seen. I've now seen 4 of the different Cirque du Soleil's, and the one at Disney is far and away my favorite.
    Have a GREAT time!
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/07 13:10:16 (permalink)
    While not the best German food, the German restaurant in Epcot is enjoyable. Being October, I'm sure they're doing some special things for Oktoberfest -- it's the restaurant's theme anyway. They even serve litres of beer! I second the Flying Fish. Also, if you have kids, the Coca-Cola sodas of the world in Epcot is great. They have nearly every soda the Coca-Cola corporation makes in self serve fountains to try -- some are pretty strange and others are just plain awful. The kids love it. Our kids were 4 and 10, but we found ourselves spending little time at the Magic Kingdom, and much more time at the other parks, particularly Epcot. Plan accordingly.
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/07 14:14:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Willly

While not the best German food, the German restaurant in Epcot is enjoyable. Being October, I'm sure they're doing some special things for Oktoberfest -- it's the restaurant's theme anyway. They even serve litres of beer! I second the Flying Fish. Also, if you have kids, the Coca-Cola sodas of the world in Epcot is great. They have nearly every soda the Coca-Cola corporation makes in self serve fountains to try -- some are pretty strange and others are just plain awful. The kids love it. Our kids were 4 and 10, but we found ourselves spending little time at the Majic Kingdom, and much more time at the other parks, particularly Epcot. Plan accordingly.

Willly is absolutely correct. I've got three kids and you'd think they would've been most wooed by the rides, character meetings, hotel accomodations, etc. But, nnnoooooooooooo...they, indeed, were most impressed by the most overtly commercial spot in all of Epcot -- a fake igloo allowing the kids to dispense and consume as much Coca Cola as their little bellies could handle. Seriously, it's worth the spot if just to cool off and see an example of the south (Coke) rising again (at least in different continents).
    RedPatti
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/07 15:47:38 (permalink)
    My favorite place. Victoria and Albert restaurant in Grand Floridian for the best pampering and it is the nicest most attentive restaurant with the coolest coffee machine they bring to your table (we bought one) it is like a science experiment. We have dined there many times. The Italian restaurant in Epcot is incredible, especially the canneloni and spumoni and you can't go wrong at the Living Seas (the view and the desserts are extraordinary). At the MK just inside the entrance the best spaghetti sauce I'll ever had from Tony's of Lady and the Tramp fame. If you stay at the Grand Floridian the concierge floor has the best chocolate chip cookies to carry with you for snacking during your travels. Have a truly wonderful time. Wish I was there!
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/07 17:02:29 (permalink)
    We have been to WDW at least 20 times, both with and without children. We eat a lot of meals outside the park but inside the WDW complex:

Favorite for all around good food - the restaurant in the Morocco pavilion at Epcot
    Most fun dining experience (especially for kids) – Ohana in the Polynesian
    Best breakfast – Kona Café in the Polynesian (banana stuffed sourdough French toast!)
    Most refreshing drink – Raspberry lemonade slush from little booth in Fantasyland called the Enchanted Grove
    Most tranquil meal for adults – afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian hotel
    Restaurant I felt was a rip-off – Rainforest Café (went there against my better judgment)
    Best food bargain spot (kind of an oxymoron at WDW) – Chakrandi Chicken Shop in Animal Kingdom
    Most consistently delicious meals – The Flying Fish at the Boardwalk Resort

While the menus and food spots are always in flux, this website can give you a good advance preview of what to expect in terms of price and food choices:

http://www.wdwig.com/menu/menus.htm
    Ted Steak
    Hamburger
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/07 19:44:41 (permalink)
    Thanks to all who responded to my query! Yes, I will be travelling with children (3 & 5 yrs. old) so your suggestions will help. I have read quite a few books on Disneyworld, but thought I'd get the REAL scoop from those on this site who have been there and done that...and eaten that One place I plan on hitting for sure is Big River Grill & Brewing Works, as a beerhound I'd like to taste most of the beers that they brew there.
    CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/07 22:09:08 (permalink)
    Do they still do the Mickey Mouse pancakes? That's what I remember most from my childhood trip there...
    Dipstick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/08 07:34:54 (permalink)
    If you want a great meal and aren't afraid to spend a few bucks, Alfredo's in the Italian section of EPCOT is the place. The food and atmosphere are perfect!
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/08 10:28:28 (permalink)
    I think any of the places at Epcot are great !!

I especially like the one at Morocco, and the fish-and-chips in England too !!
    NancyPeter
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/08 17:48:57 (permalink)
    We took our kids to the Big River Grill about five years ago, and I recall that the food was very good, although the atomosphere was a bit stark. I second the nominations for Morocco, although it has slipped somewhat from our first visit about 10 years ago, England (casual dining), & France at EPCOT, plus a definite "YES" for O'Hana's at the Polynesian. The kids all love this place. The food is superb (family style) & the games are lots of fun. Two other fantastic restaurants are Boma (incredible buffet) at the Animal Kindgom Lodge (they have kid-friendly foods) & the upscale spot at Wilderness Lodge. At the Animal Kingdom Lodge, you can go out back before or after dinner & see the animals through night vision binoculars. At Wilderness Lodge, you can witness the geyser erupting every half hour or so. Haven't been to the California Grill at the Contemporary for several years, but it was excellent when we dined there. Plus, we saw Susan Sarandon & her family on their way out!

You'll find that most Disney restaurants, even the more upscale ones, will cater to your children, so don't worry about that aspect! Most of all, take a deep breath, and ENJOY Disney in all its craziness, because, before you know it, you'll be home wishing you were back there...or maybe not
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/08 19:51:26 (permalink)
    I forget the name, but the last time we were at Disney with the kids we went to a dinner show near the area where people can camp. It was a wild west style show, song and dance throughout a multiple course bbq type meal. Kids below early teens should really enjoy it, and the adults did too. You'll be able to find it in one of the brochures or books about the park, but you need to plan and make reservations several days or even weeks in advance of your trip.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/08 19:56:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by berndog

I forget the name, but the last time we were at Disney with the kids we went to a dinner show near the area where people can camp. It was a wild west style show, song and dance throughout a multiple course bbq type meal. Kids below early teens should really enjoy it, and the adults did too. You'll be able to find it in one of the brochures or books about the park, but you need to plan and make reservations several days or even weeks in advance of your trip.

That would be the Hoop-De-Doo Review, which on some dates is sold out as much as a year in advance.
    Dempsey
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/09 00:18:28 (permalink)
    Ive been a season passholder for 10 years and also worked as a singer at EPCOT. Ive easily eaten there 1,000x and believe it or not, plenty of locals have been more times than I.

All the above suggestions are great. Hard to beat WDW food, except its expensive.I have 2 cost effective suggestions(I eat these to keep me going untill the REAL meal happens in the evening)

At Japan/Epcot, the pagoda on the left as you enter is a quick serve...try the Shogun plate,,,$6/7 and has rice, chicken and beef.

At Mexico get the Plato Del Nino...its a kids sized portion of chips/salsa and a burrito...comes with choice of drink...$3.62.

Youre going at a good time..the Epcot International wine/food fest will be on....tents with chefs cooking neat servings of indigenous food and also the countries wine are set up around the lagoon...$1-$4 a pop....I usually make 8-10 stops;-) This year they are adding South Africa and a couple new national tents.
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/09 08:40:04 (permalink)
    For good barbeque, I recommend Fat Boy's. The pork ribs and sides are very good, as are the cobblers for dessert.
    Dempsey
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/09 08:56:41 (permalink)
    If you go to the WDW transportation center there is a LYNX(orlando public) bus that traverses rt192 and gives you 100s of food options.

If you want a real suprise,,,PUBLIX has a fresh/made before your eyes that is $6 that in my opinion is the best sub sandwich in Florida. You will find every food option on the planet on rt 192 and the bus runs every 15 min.

A day pass to take unlimited rides in Otown is $3.
    Take a jaunt to downtown Orlando...or Millenium Mall(Nieman Marcus etc)....and plenty of food options.
    NancyPeter
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/16 10:41:08 (permalink)
    Ted, I'm curious as to which places you liked & which you didn't. Fill us in...
    Ted Steak
    Hamburger
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/19 16:36:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NancyPeter

Ted, I'm curious as to which places you liked & which you didn't. Fill us in...

Well, we ate primarily at the places our kids would like, places like the food court at the Riverside Mill (Port Orleans), Restaurantosaurus (Animal Kingdom), ABC Commissary (MGM), etc. Usual burger n' fries/chicken/pizza type cuisine. The one place I was looking forward to, Big River Grille & Brewing Co. (Boardwalk) was all I hoped for and more. The food was awesome, I had a very tasty grilled Jerk Chicken sand. & the beers were outstanding...much better than the gimmicky/touristy place I half expected. Had fun, but man am I glad to be home after a week at Disneyworld. With 2 youngsters in tow, it was a real "working vacation"
    Ted Steak
    Hamburger
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/20 06:40:05 (permalink)
    Oops, I fogot to mention that I also enjoyed the Sci-Fi Dine In Theater (MGM) and the character dinner & breakfasts(Magic Kingdom) too!
    kestral
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Disneyworld Food Ideas? 2003/10/21 13:54:53 (permalink)
    In case anyone is still reading this thread (the original poster should be home by now) I really enjoyed Boma, the buffet at the Animal Kingdom Lodge resort. You don't have to stay there to eat there. Many African inspired dishes, made in small quantities by chefs that are right there to answer any questions; prime rib for those who want more traditional, mac n cheese and chicken fingers for the picky kids (or adults) fabulous soups and breads --- and desserts!

Its also worth it to see the Animal Kingdom Lodge - there are also animal viewing areas right outside.

Enjoy!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1