Ditching new brand and building my off my original brand

Author
THE WILD DOG
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1465
2013/06/01 23:48:51 (permalink)

Ditching new brand and building my off my original brand

Here's the story, 3 years ago we started Wild Dogs Gourmet Hot Dogs, We started in a 6x10 trailer, and have been very successful as a brand. We do alot of catering, events & get requests to show up here and there for stuff at least twice a week.

We skrimped and saved for a truck, built it out and went with a whole different concept, We wanted to do cheese steaks and deli food.  We had a MONSTER menu. We had a full deli menu. (first  mistake )   we had to cut our menu down to 3-4 items.. we were hemoraging money to the tune of $500 a week easy.  It just wasn't going where we wanted it to. So we cut the menu even more, and landed on a cheese steak that we were doing that seemed to do ok. We stuck with it and we were getting requests to do cheese steaks all day.  In order to get to our " NUT " point. we needed to do about 100 cheese steaks a day.  EVERY DAY  in a time frame of 4 hours.  11-2pm    We would bust our ass, and after the day was over, it was about 60 a day is what we could get to.  SO NOT WORTH THE EFFORT when we knew that we could do that amount of money in that time frame and not break a sweat with our food trailer.

So, we started rolling out our wild dog menu on the truck... which by the way was named wise guys cafe... Great concept, I'll still keep the name and the rights to it, but to have people order Wild Dogs food out of a another truck was just like going to burger king and asking for a big mac.   It just didn't seem right.   So we knew where our bread was butterred, and we knew what we had to do... only we needed to do is asap. We needed to get back to our brand. We knew we could hit the $500 a day mark with no issues. 

The WD truck will feature our current menu, a custom welded steam table and stainless steel top that we will have custom cut through a friend that will house everything and add a few more new dogs to spice the menu up.we

So we contacted our paint guy, and we had him draw up a concept for us, and he did a great job with what we are goiung with.   I'll have to upload the pics.. the paint is coming soon. Within the next couple weeks. 

( sorry for the grammer erros and the capitalization errors. My hands are freaking shot !  )

12 Replies Related Threads

Lost Nation
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re:Ditching new brand and building my off my original brand 2013/06/02 03:19:46 (permalink)
    Good luck with the new/old concept.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    Re:Ditching new brand and building my off my original brand 2013/06/02 04:12:19 (permalink)
    Many times bigger is not better.
    BelCibo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 169
    Re:Ditching new brand and building my off my original brand 2013/06/02 10:11:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing....great help for us newbies!
    Rcoy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 97
    Re:Ditching new brand and building my off my original brand 2013/06/02 10:26:02 (permalink)
    Hope it all works out for the better.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Ditching new brand and building my off my original brand 2013/06/02 11:54:05 (permalink)
    If you get time tell us more about your custom welded steam table and stainless steel top. I use one counter top steam table every day but bought 3 drop in units for my step van project. Picture below:

And my plan is to top the existing wood cabinets with stainless steel with cut outs for the 3 drop in units. My hold up is spacing. At events we use all 3 and so I want the spacing to be correct so employees have enough room to prepare sandwiches. Is the what your talking about?
    Jack
    PS here is a 3 well/single unit picture, but the problem with using a 3 well unit is only one temp setting for all 3 holes:

THE WILD DOG
    Re:Ditching new brand and building my off my original brand 2013/06/02 23:17:01 (permalink)
    sure Dr, you know i'll always share my stuff..   The way I'm picturing it in my head is what I've drawn using Paint.Net software ( that's not the name of the website )  

THE WILD DOG
    Re:Ditching new brand and building my off my original brand 2013/06/02 23:54:50 (permalink)

SEEMS DOABLE EVEN MORE NOW... tHE FIRST TWO PANS ON THE LEFT ARE SIMMERING DOGS, THAT THE COOK WILL GRAB WHEN NEEDED TO REPLENISH THE GRILL. EACH PAN CAN HOLD 40 DOGS ( 4/1'S ) The two 1/8's are for cheese & red ionion sauce the (2) 1/4's are for chili & kraut, The last 1/2 pan is for bun warming. & the last set of (8) 1/8 pans are for condiments.

fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    Re:Ditching new brand and building my off my original brand 2013/06/03 19:39:10 (permalink)
    You certainly have millions more experience selling hot dogs than I but just wondering if the fryer being next to your steam table is preferable to having the griddle there.  Just the cook in me thinking hot dogs from steam table directly to the griddle to the immediate left is a bit more efficient.  But I could be off!
    THE WILD DOG
    Re:Ditching new brand and building my off my original brand 2013/06/03 20:32:30 (permalink)
    You would be correct, we use the fryer sometimes if we were falling behind on dogs, we would keep a pan of them in the prep unit that we would pre split so we could throw them on the grill and let them cook on wire racks, but in a pinch we would drop them in the fryer for ONE minute, get them crisp on the inside and then put them on the grill with a steak weight.   Worked well... Plus if we do rippers, we need to keep the fryer, and to the left of the griddle is the cooks mini set up for everything he needs. oil, water, fried onions etc.
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Ditching new brand and building my off my original brand 2013/06/03 20:45:44 (permalink)
    Gotcha.  I went through the same frame of thoughts when doing my setup but ended up putting my fryer furthest away.  I'll probably use it more for prep and an item or two so my griddle/range gets priority locale.  Good luck!!
    THE WILD DOG
    Re:Ditching new brand and building my off my original brand 2013/06/03 23:37:05 (permalink)
    MY QUOTES are coming in, ZI was going to buy a welder, helmet and supplies and weld the frame myself, but I did some comparisons and it turns out it's cheaper for me to have someone else do it. HAHA, $60 an hour and I have the supplies so they said about 2 hours worth of work, $120 for the frame, and that's not bad at all. Now waiting for my stainless steel top to  get quoted out.  going with a 304 top, not sure on thickness, but a 2" bend all the way around it, I'm thinking maybe $300 for  the top, I got a great metal guy around the corner.    That should be in tomorrow.
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Ditching new brand and building my off my original brand 2013/06/04 00:41:41 (permalink)
    Sounds great. Looking forward to seeing it!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1