Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
2006/02/19 03:04:49 (permalink)

Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law

As a Hot Dog fancier, it really sticks in my craw when a purveyor of the Noble Frankfurter fails or refuses to identify the brand of Hot Dog he or she is selling. I always want to know. It’s what I do. I also want to know the size, but I won’t push it.

Actually, it all seems a little Medieval in this Age of Information…hiding what kind of food product you expect us to ingest. I mean, it has been a while since Upton Sinclair’s “The Jungle.” Some sellers even get angry if you ask…like there’s some unwritten code of the Hot Dog Fraternity against giving away the secret.

On the other hand, many proudly display what type they sell. It’s more often than not good for business. They’re proud of their offering, maybe pay a little extra for the brand name recognition, and are glad to associate with it. It’s what the vendor’s umbrella is all about. It’s shouting out, “Look, I sell Sabrett, or Vienna Beef, or Hebrew National, or Best’s, etc. I’m a Good Guy. It’s All Good. I’ve Nothing to Hide!”

When a seller of Tube Steaks is secretive, or looks askance when I dare ask what it is I’m about to purchase for consumption, I’m put off. The brand might be fine. But just the fact that they don’t care to take me into their trust is a turn off. What else shouldn’t I know?

It’s just good form to be open and above board when dealing with foodstuffs. Though, admittedly, for me the interest is also academic. Whereas Henry Higgins could tell a person’s geography by their dialect, I like to dabble in the descent of the dog...its heritage, lineage, and content of character. And knowing from whence emanates a Frankfurter is key to honing that knowledge.

On a much more basic plane, some folks don’t eat pork; others don’t eat beef, etc. There are dietary considerations of every variation. Hence, it is my contention there ought to be a law. If I ask what brand of hot dog you sell, you have to tell me true.

Do you agree, or would you prefer the seller keeps it to himself?
The Bear

61 Replies Related Threads

jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/19 08:26:45 (permalink)
    I think that's pushing it a bit.What about the bun,condiments,potato grower etc?Actually most places around here have some info posted or if they don't i doubt they'd keep it a secret even if they buy at Aldi.[|)]
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4611
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/19 08:35:35 (permalink)
    I get miffed when they have a sign or an umbrella or something that is branded (this happens often with Vienna Beef) and they don't sell the product at all.

Don't put ups a VB graphic and not have the condiments.
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2335
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/19 10:11:22 (permalink)
    I, too, always want to know the brand of hot dog served at a hot dog restaurant or any place serving hot dogs. I have had many experiences trying to find out. Sometimes the person I speak with willingly gives the information. Sometimes they don't even know. That's when I'll ask for a manager or owner. Many times I'm told that they make their own hot dogs. 99% of the time, this is a lie. I've also been told that it's none of my business. Well, I'm eating it; I'd like to know. I've been told "It's a commercial brand." Well, which one? I've also been told that the reason for not divulging the brand is that if I knew where they got their dogs, I could get them for myself, and they would lose my business. Or that they don't want to tell me because I may be a potential competitor looking to open my own business.

This is a tough call. As someone who loves hot dogs, I very much like to know the identity of the dog, it's size, casing, etc. But I can see the owner's side of it too. I've had a hard time finding out where some places get their dogs. And when I've finally found out, I've been told "Ok, you know. But you won't be able to get them for yourself." More often then not, this is untrue. It may be hard, but if you try, you can usually get any dog that you want. Thumann's dogs for deep frying are hard to get, but if you know someone at a pizzeria that serves Thumann's coldcuts for their subs, you can usually persuade them to order the dogs from the Thumann's distributor, and then pay the pizzeria owner.

The Galloping Hill Inn uses a dog from Grote & Weigel that is different than the standard Grote & Weigel Griddle Frank. GHI had G&W make this frank for them based on a recipe from a local butcher shop that used to provide these dogs for them. GHI is the only place that serves this particular dog, but you can get it from Grote & Weigel's N.J. distributor if you are willing to buy 5 lbs.

There are ways to find out the identity of a brand if you really want to know. Ask former (or even current) employees. Look in the trash bin for discarded boxes. Sometimes, if you frequent a place enough, you might be there when they get their shipment.

I like finding out information when someone has been particularly nasty to me, and then going back and telling them that I found out anyway. And refusing to tell them how I found out. Another way is to call a hot dog maker like Marathon or Grote & Weigel and telling them that you are interested in purchasing a quantity of hot dogs. They will think that you represent a business and will be more open to discuss who they provide dogs to. This is how I found out that Papaya King, Gray's, and Katz's all use the same recipe Sabrett dog (although Katz's is slightly larger).

Someone once asked me to help find out who makes the dogs for the Brooklyn Diner. Although named Brooklyn, it is actually located in Manhattan, and is known for their giant 15 bite hot dog. I spoke to the owners with no sucess. The most I could get out of him was that the dog was made in N.Y. I called a few places (Marathon, Stahl Meyer, Golden D) and said that I was thinking about opening my own place and inquired about their dogs and who they had as customers. The guy at Golden D quickly rattled off some places that served his dog. Brooklyn Diner was one.

People think I'm nuts for doing this, but sometimes curiosity gets the better of you. Especially when someone tells you that you can't find out and/or challenges you to do so.
    John Fox
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/19 10:37:58 (permalink)
    One reason given for not providing the brand name is that the proprietor wants to convey that theirs is the only place where you can get this particular hot dog.
    ohman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 262
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/19 11:27:43 (permalink)
    If they ask tell them...no biggie. If you are willing to pay enough you can get any dog anywhere.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/19 12:26:05 (permalink)
    I can't get too upset with somone not divulging their brand of hotdog. To me, it's the same as asking for their special hot sauce recipe, or asking for the chef's recipe for a special dish at a more upscale restaurant. I don't think anyone would expect to get that information. If they want to treat the hot dog brand information as a "trade secret", that's their choice.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/19 13:30:51 (permalink)
    Personally.... I don't really care what brand dog I'm devouring from a cart/stand (at home its always ikes) even the skinniest least tasty dog comes to life under a blanket of mustard, relish, onions and kraut or slaw and hots.. guess my palate just isn't discerning enough..
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/19 14:29:50 (permalink)
    This is kind of a tough one. But some of the owners here in the midwest do not divulge what brand they are using because these brands are widely availiable. Some owners do try to keep the secret squirrel thing going in an attempt to pass off they're product as being special, and only availiable there. They're are some who use the very cheapest disgusting hot dog they can get. So when asked they don't want to tell they're inquiring customer that in essence they are selling trash dogs. Chili, coney sauce, or any of the other regional toppings may need to be safeguarded somewhat. But I believe the hot dog itself should be of decent quality. Give the people value and they will return. I wonder if hot dog brands fall under the freedom of imformation act?
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 705
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/19 15:45:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

I get miffed when they have a sign or an umbrella or something that is branded (this happens often with Vienna Beef) and they don't sell the product at all.

Don't put ups a VB graphic and not have the condiments.

I agree don't put up any signs,graphics, posters and/or etc if You don't have that brand or item. And I am including condimentsd, sides, and etc.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/19 17:15:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by myway

I wonder if hot dog brands fall under the freedom of imformation act?

Label them 'terrorist food', and then you can tap the vendor's phone.....
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/19 22:27:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Top

quote:
    Originally posted by myway

I wonder if hot dog brands fall under the freedom of imformation act?

Label them 'terrorist food', and then you can tap the vendor's phone.....

Just call it watergate and You can tap it.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/19 23:07:07 (permalink)
    I dont see what the big secrecy over their brand of dog would be... Unless they're sellin a GFS or Sysco 10/1 that they maybe pay a dime each for.. If I serve a good product, I'd like to let it be known! Quality products make for a nice marketing tool.. But I was going to suggest the trash bin inspection, but Mr. Fox already beat me to that one... (Dont open the bags, just look for the boxes tossed in alongside)...
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/19 23:10:52 (permalink)
    Oh ya, I had one local place here that I was trying to get info on.. All they would respond to is that they use 12/1 dogs... I never would have guessed, but they do load them up with toppings pretty good.. Never did get an answer to the brand though... Must not be a good brand if the dog needs to be buried so deep... (Yet I love em)...

myway
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/20 14:53:22 (permalink)
    Thats what gets served around here most of the time. The Gordons Food Service 10/1 dogs, or the 8/1 dogs...for shame. Some are using Emgee hot dogs. You ever seen an Emgee 8/1 dog after it has been in the steamer for a bit? I am not proud of this, but one time a few years ago I was set up at a parade. I was using Bar S hot dogs. After a very short time the hot dogs began turning a pale grey, and even green color. I had to sell them. I was so ashamed of my dogs that I swore I would never sell another sub standard dog again in my life. It was my first time out with my cart, I did not know what I was doing. My wife urged me to use cheap dogs since I was just starting out. Never again. I told her I would close it before I would do that ever. She still prods me to use cheap dogs. Not happening, I learned my lesson well.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/21 00:00:52 (permalink)
    Today, I stumbled upon a new hot dog joint that opened in Forked River , NJ
    exit 74 off Garden State Parkway....

it's called Chunky's...

Well, MY pet peeve is when I ask the teenage type kid behind the counter "Are your hot dogs all beef?!", and they look at me like I have 3 heads.....

I believe that if you own a hot dog joint, you should educated your help . The most he could answer me is "well, it's Thumann's"

Then I realized I saw the Thumanns emblem on the wall, and did my own concluding.....that any Thumanns dog I've seen in the store has had pork in it.

I really prefer all beef hot dogs, so I just ordeed a fountain soda to get my caffeine rush, used their bathroom ,and left...

and that's my hot dog story of the day !

Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/21 11:13:44 (permalink)
    I'm not so concerned over choosing not to divulge a supplier. In my experience it's not uncommon for a good dog joint to have their dogs made to their specs and chosen recipe. So while it may be made by a known local supplier with a store brand, it's not the same dog you will get at the restaurant, and they may prefer to avoid confusion. Of course, if you call the supplier they are likely to say they supply those dogs to build their own image.

On the other hand, not providing servers or, at least cook staff, with basic ingredient information is asking for trouble. But in my area, it's pretty safe to assume that if they don't say all beef, they aren't.
    jimcor
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 148
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/21 18:54:38 (permalink)
    Sorry, I don't eat pork products. Just doesn't agree with me, no big deal. So if you can't tell me your dog is all beef I won't buy it. Simple as that. You don't have to tell me the brand, but I would like to know, just for the heck of it.
    John Fox
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/21 20:20:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ellen4641

Today, I stumbled upon a new hot dog joint that opened in Forked River , NJ
    exit 74 off Garden State Parkway....

it's called Chunky's...

Well, MY pet peeve is when I ask the teenage type kid behind the counter "Are your hot dogs all beef?!", and they look at me like I have 3 heads.....

I believe that if you own a hot dog joint, you should educated your help . The most he could answer me is "well, it's Thumann's"

Then I realized I saw the Thumanns emblem on the wall, and did my own concluding.....that any Thumanns dog I've seen in the store has had pork in it.

I really prefer all beef hot dogs, so I just ordeed a fountain soda to get my caffeine rush, used their bathroom ,and left...

and that's my hot dog story of the day !

Thumann's also makes an all beef dog. This one comes in a yellow and orange package rather than the blue and white.
    John Fox
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/22 06:20:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashphalt

In my experience it's not uncommon for a good dog joint to have their dogs made to their specs and chosen recipe.

I would have to disagree. Although it's done, it is very rare. Many places claim to have a special blend or special recipe, but they are lying. Many hot dog joints want you to believe that their product is unique, and that you can only get it there. Papaya King, Gray's Papaya, and Katz's all claim that their dogs are made from proprietary recipes, but they are all the same basic Sabrett dog. I've also heard that Pink's in LA claims to use a special recipe Hoffy dog, but it is in fact the same dog that you can get in the Supermarket. I've spoken to people in the industry who have said that although they make dogs in different sizes and either natural casing or skinless, they usually have the same recipe, and that it is much tougher and more labor intensive to make a special recipe for different customers. Sabrett has 2 recipes; an all beef and a beef and pork. Thumann's has 3; all beef, beef/pork, and one for deep frying. Best's has just one. And from what I understand, Vienna Beef has one for foodservice (vendors) and one for supermarkets.

The few times a hot dog manufacturer will make a special recipe dog would be when a place has such a huge demand that it would be worth it. An example of this is the Galloping Hill Inn in Union. Their dogs used to be supplied by a small butcher shop. The GHI wanted their dogs made by a larger meat producer. So they looked around. Many places, including Marathon (Sabrett) were willing to make dogs for the GHI using the recipe from the butcher shop. GHI finally picked Grote & Weigel to make provide dogs for them. And G&W is making the recipe according to Galloping Hill's specifications. Which is that it is the same recipe that was used when they were being made at the butcher shop. GHI sells thousands of dogs a day.
    ohman
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/22 08:22:47 (permalink)
    You know, I have been thinking about this. Let me ask you this. If you ask a BBQ joint for the recipe of the sauce they make they will laugh at you. So why is it ok to keep that a secret and not the brand of dog you sell? I always tell if asked but i am just curious what other people think.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/22 09:47:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ohman

You know, I have been thinking about this. Let me ask you this. If you ask a BBQ joint for the recipe of the sauce they make they will laugh at you. So why is it ok to keep that a secret and not the brand of dog you sell? I always tell if asked but i am just curious what other people think.

We have a Mom and Pop place here in Niles, that has a Friday Night Steak Fry, when people ask the owner what she puts on her steaks that makes them so good, she says that is our "secret Marimate". End of Converstion, she smiles and walks away!!!
    ohman
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/22 15:21:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by garryd451

quote:

We have a Mom and Pop place here in Niles, that has a Friday Night Steak Fry, when people ask the owner what she puts on her steaks that makes them so good, she says that is our "secret Marimate". End of Converstion, she smiles and walks away!!!

I think there are plenty of places like that so I am starting to think if you want to hide the brand of dog you sell it is ok. Bottom line is if it's bad they wont be back.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/22 16:27:36 (permalink)
    quote:

I dont see how you can compare ones proprietory sauce recipe to a name brand hotdog.. Same goes with chili sauce on hot dogs.. Most people have their own variation of spices which makes them unique, not the brand of dog they use..
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/22 16:56:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:

I dont see how you can compare ones proprietory sauce recipe to a name brand hotdog.. Same goes with chili sauce on hot dogs.. Most people have their own variation of spices which makes them unique, not the brand of dog they use..

Unfortunately, no matter if it's hot dogs, bar b que sause, Coney dog sauce or whatever, there's no law that I know of that says they have to tell us the what is in it, the only choice we have is to go there or not to go there. The problem with this is that it gives people with allergies or other problems no choice excpet not to go.

ohman
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/22 17:26:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:

I dont see how cant see it, it is the same thing. I do not hide my brands but I can see why some might want to.
    Kenny da Fat Man
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/02/25 18:29:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

As a Hot Dog fancier, it really sticks in my craw when a purveyor of the Noble Frankfurter fails or refuses to identify the brand of Hot Dog he or she is selling. I always want to know. It’s what I do. I also want to know the size, but I won’t push it.

Bear, I agree...I like to know the brand too, but generally I only ask AFTER I've had the dog and I'm curious about the brand, but I like to keep an unbiased mind when I order and eat. If it turns out bad, I won't be back.

As far as the size...I think the size of a man's hot dog is a private matter

But I know where you're coming from because when I order a brunsweiger or liverwurst sandwich at a deli, I always ask what brand they use, and if they don't know, I send them back to ask. (I only like Boars Head).

So, I can feel your pain my friend!
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/06/24 18:45:58 (permalink)
    Fellow RoadFooders,
    Do you frequent a hot dog place that either, A.---Won't divulge the brand of frank they sell? or, B.---Persists in declaring their dogs are made especially for them from a secret recipe?

If not, which brand does your favorite hot dog haunt serve?
    The Bear
    John Fox
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/06/24 19:42:54 (permalink)
    I frequent the Galloping Hill Inn. They serve a delicious German style beef and pork dog and are located down the street. They refuse to divulge the brand, saying to anyone who asks that it is a special recipe beef and pork dog. I know the brand, so have no need to ask. They are one of the few places that have a special recipe dog, as I mentioned earlier in the thread. Originally made by Gaisers (a small butcher shop in Union), Galloping Hill took the recipe and had it made by Grote & Weigel of Conn. This recipe is different than the usual recipe G&W Griddle franks that have Texas Weiner on the box and label and are served at most of the Texas Weiner joints that grill rather than deep fry their dogs. Places like Texas Weiner l and ll, Red Tower, J&G's, and Manny's.

The Old Heidelburg in Keansburg is another place that refuses to divulge the brand, saying that "we use a commercial dog". It's a Haydu beef/pork dog. Sometime in the last 5 years they switched from all beef.

Hot Dog Johnny's is perhaps the most stubborn place around when it comes to disclosing the brand. The cranky woman who owns the place even gave me a hard time when I asked her how the dogs are prepared. She finally gave in when I told her that I have a kid who can't eat fried food. She serves Schmalz skinless beef and pork dogs that are fried in olive oil.

A few places that falsely insist that their dogs are specially made for them are Papaya King and Katz's in New York, and Hobby's deli in Newark. There are others, but none come to mind currently.
    festivalfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Divulging the Dog...There Ought to be a Law 2006/06/24 21:15:35 (permalink)
    I always ask what brand of dog it is before I order,unless I see a sign or umbrella with a name brand on it.I have not asked in the past and seen the vendor pull some nasty, cheap,"lips and snouts" mushy thing out and place it in the bun,and I don't want to be rude and pay for it ,bravely take a bite and throw the rest out.If a vendor is selling "lips and snouts" dogs,I won't buy a dog, but still order something,chips and a soda,but I won't eat a cheap nasty dog to be nice anymore.I have a friend who does the fair and carnival circuit,and does very well,and takes pride in buying the cheapest ,nastiest dogs he can find and charges top dollar,and laughs when I tell him to use a quality hot dog.It's funny,I won't do that with a sausage and pepper sandwich at an event,I guess you really can't with sausages in most instances,and the number one thing people that I know have gotten sick from at a fair,festival or outdoor event was from eating a bad sausage and pepper sandwich.Unlike hotdogs which are actully cooked already(smoked) sausage is raw and spoils fast if not handled properly and cooked properly.I got sick from one at a carnival about 12 years ago,and some friends and family have also,at different events over the years.I still eat them at events,I just look the operation over a little more carefully,and make sure it's well done,before I eat it.Even after having a bad experience
    I find a sausage and pepper sandwich almost irresistable at a fair.I don't find anything wrong with asking what brand of dog a vendor is selling.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1