Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits?

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2011/11/01 13:21:45 (permalink)

Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits?

Halloween time and all! I firmly believe in Spirits, Vodka mostly, just kidding, I really do. My wife has seen a Woman, turn of the century dress, at the bottom of our back stairs. Me, no sightings but many times my name has been shouted, sounded like far away, same for my wife. My daughter from a very young age would come running into the kitchen asking ,"what?", we realized her name, was getting the call, this has happened dozens of times. Last year we were in seperate rooms, my wife and I, when the most unearthly moan that lasted for at least 5-10 seconds, my wife yelled to me, "did you hear that?" I said unfortunately yes, it gave me goosebumps, but I have zero fear of our houseguests, or maybe they consider us the guests! True story...How about you all?
post edited by chewingthefat - 2011/11/01 16:52:47

23 Replies Related Threads

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3619
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/01 14:05:20 (permalink)
    Absolutely. It actually runs in my family, the whole seeing ghosts and/or talking with them thing. My favourite story is the night I was working alone in the theatre around 3am. Out of nowhere, someone said, "Beth, go home." I'm not one to argue, so I shut everything down and left the booth. It was about a six block walk home and cold out, so I figured I'd hit the bathroom on my way out. But something wouldn't let me go down the stairs, so I just went out the front door and home.

Next morning when everyone came in, they found a homeless man sleeping on the couch in the women's restroom. Apparently someone hadn't completely closed the scene shop door when they left after rehearsal.

There are more, some good, some bad. Only once have I ever been actually afraid, though. For the most part I just see them, feel them, or hear them, and we come to an understanding to get along.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5216
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/01 15:51:17 (permalink)
    felix4067

But something wouldn't let me go down the stairs, so I just went out the front door and home.

Was it an uneasy feeling or were you actually physically prevented from using the stairs?

My dad says that in the house he grew up in there was a unexplained cold spot in one of the upstairs rooms.

Brad
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4566
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/01 16:10:41 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

felix4067

But something wouldn't let me go down the stairs, so I just went out the front door and home.

My dad says that in the house he grew up in there was a unexplained cold spot in one of the upstairs rooms.
    Brad

I have a reoccurring, unexplained warm spot in my pool.  Darn ghosts!
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/01 16:56:47 (permalink)
    joerogo

ScreamingChicken

felix4067

Brad

I have a reoccurring, unexplained warm spot in my pool.  Darn ghosts!

I am not a Ghost, I do love your pool though Joe, sorry about the warm spot, it's my calling card!

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/01 16:58:04 (permalink)
    Another thing we get is a heavy perfume smell, not unpleasant, but definitely there!
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/01 17:54:19 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

felix4067

Was it an uneasy feeling or were you actually physically prevented from using the stairs?

Brad

I can't really describe it. It wasn't like I ran into anything, and there wasn't a temperature change. And it wasn't uneasy, exactly...just more like a virtual "road closed" sign. It was weird, but I knew better than to push it.
    dimmie2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/01 18:27:32 (permalink)
    I definitely believe in ghosts and spirits of all kinds.  Saw my grandfather after he died, sitting in my mom's den, back when I was in high school.  He was the first and certainly not the last.  I have since discovered that my daughter, grandson and sister have the ability to see ghosts as well.   I had a long ordeal with ghosts in my Texas home back in the early 90s and learned a lot on how to communicate with them.  I also learned there are such things as poltergeists and demons. 
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1565
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/01 19:43:28 (permalink)
    If ghosts are real, what is the point of their being so elusive?  Did they learn it from the Loch Ness monster and Sasquatch?  The existence of all of these things is questionable, at best.  Surely, if you want to believe, you can conjure things up in your mind that will make you believe that they exist (kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy).

I need to leave.  I'm supposed to be abducted by a UFO, probed and then returned to Earth where I can tell the authorities a story about my experience that is vague and cannot be substantiated.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/01 19:51:58 (permalink)
    Face it folks, when you die you are just cold meat like the chicken you ate for dinner...

Cheers, John 
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/01 20:06:21 (permalink)
    What's funny for me is how people who believe in a deity scoff at those of us who believe in ghosts. Same thing, different acceptability.
    Phottoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 111
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/02 12:00:39 (permalink)
    I don't know if this "qualities" or not, but a year to the day after my Dad died, a wind-up with chime wall clock he had found somewhere and "repaired" started ticking.  The pendulum had somehow started swinging.  The clock struck the hour and half hour.

For twelve hours.

It hadn't worked for years prior to this, and hasn't worked since.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/02 12:18:03 (permalink)
    I'm  atheist....so I don't believe in diety's, ghosts, spirits, poltergiests. or any of that jazz.

I certainly don't ever scoff or put down what anyone else believes...it takes a busload of faith to get by, I just happen to put my faith in me and the people I surround myself with rather then anything else.
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1366
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/02 16:17:50 (permalink)
    At 2:05 a.m. on June 8, 2005, my 89 year-old father woke me up to tell me good bye.  I thought I was just having a dream that woke me up, I looked at the clock and turned over and went back to sleep.  At 2:25 my sister called me to tell me that my father had died.  He was in a nursing home 35 miles from my home.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8669
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/02 16:54:24 (permalink)
    Bob saw a beautiful older lady sitting at our dining room table one night when he was going to the bathroom( old flat in Milw. where the bathroom was just off the main rooms) thought it was me, but then she disappeared; he came running in the bedroom, as somehow he knew it wasnt me. He is adament about this sighting. We bought a beautiful turn of the century home in Sheboygan, Wi in 1998-one small room was cold and weird-had a housewarming party wherein I had the house blessed by a priest-the room no longer felt cold and abandoned. Other things too-
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8669
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/02 16:58:15 (permalink)
    Frankly, I have lots of stories, but may bore people.....
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2346
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/03 01:10:12 (permalink)
    Not boring me, Ann, Wisconsin is a very haunted place.

Beth: You nailed it. It's indescribable. You just feel it. Like the catwalk over the engine room on the Queen Mary. A "let's get out of here" feeling.

I've lived in a haunted apartment for 12+ years now. This building is 150+ years old. I had suspected, but let it go. Then my Grammy died a week after 9-11. I was the first grandchild & we were very close. I was crying myself to sleep one night not long after her death and felt a hand on my back, comforting me. I know I was alone in the apartment at the time.

Since then, my ghost has made himself more known. He doesn't hide things like the ghost at my mother's old house. He likes to wake me up @ 12:34AM every night. He will forget for awhile, then it will begin again.

He wakes me up by making noise. It sounds like there is a party going on, voices, music, the whole 9. When I wake up, nothing.

The other night I heard what sounded like a dog with a collar on coming into my room & going under my bed. I was wondering if my ghost was trying to bring my dog (we put him down May of 2010 and I have missed him terribly ever since) to see me, but again when I opened my eyes, nothing was there.

I know it's a man because I asked a psychic about it once. She said it's a man who worked in this building back in the day & this is where he feels safe. He enjoyed working here. We are not sure if he knows he is dead, or how long ago he died. This building is on the historic tour of Waukesha that they take elementary schools on, so it could be from any time period. In my head he is wearing a flat cap, jacket & kinicker-style pants.

I generally keep a kind of force field around me so they don't talk to me, but it doesn't always work.

sapsIf ghosts are real, what is the point of their being so elusive?  Did they learn it from the Loch Ness monster and Sasquatch?  The existence of all of these things is questionable, at best.  Surely, if you want to believe, you can conjure things up in your mind that will make you believe that they exist (kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy).

What do you mean elusive? Want to spend a week with me sometime & get woken up at the same time every night?  My ghost throws quite the cocktail parties when he thinks I'm asleep.

sapsI need to leave.  I'm supposed to be abducted by a UFO, probed and then returned to Earth where I can tell the authorities a story about my experience that is vague and cannot be substantiated.

I think you've already been probed. People who have actual experiences like that don't contact the authorities. They are already aware no one would believe them.
    TooPhat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 130
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/03 04:03:34 (permalink)
    Ann, I would love to hear your stories.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10359
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/03 04:37:40 (permalink)
    I believe in them. Believe in Reincarnation also.
    I'm coming back as a Housewife of Orange County!
    Seriously, I've either been an Eagle or I'm going to be an Eagle. I can feel it.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/03 05:02:53 (permalink)
    I don't know if they would be considered 'ghost' stories, but  in several situations we have experienced 'un-explained' feelings about specific emotional experiences.
      First time- We were on the Cemetery Ridge Road in the Gettysburg Battlefield at about 5 AM on a Summer morning. It was a misty-turning sunny morning and the feeling of pain and fear swept over us as we 'heard' the cries of the wounded and dying men on the fields in front of us. It was an overpowering sensation that left us in tears for a long time after we moved on.
    Second- We stopped at the Bombing Site in OK City just 3 weeks after it happened in 1995. The traffic signals for blocks around were twisted by the blast and much damage to neighboring buildings was evident. The site itself had been fenced off and people had attached all sorts of messages and toys and other items to the fence as  messages of sympathy. As we walked the perimeter a huge wave of grief came over us and we cried together (My Mom, Janet and I) , full of dispare for the terrible loss suffered there. When we returned to that location a couple of years later, where a Memorial Park had been built, the feeling was there but much less intense. Whether that was due to us or to the time lag, we will never know.
      I have others, but these two examples of my own personal experiences are enough to explain why I DO believe in the concept of 'Spirits and Afterlife' in some form.
    flyseye
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 470
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/03 06:51:00 (permalink)
    rebeltruce

...it takes a busload of faith to get by,

Lou Reed
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/03 11:56:10 (permalink)
    flyseye

rebeltruce

...it takes a busload of faith to get by,

Lou Reed

One of his best.....

bartl
    • Total Posts : 1344
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/07 10:02:37 (permalink)
    I see dead people all the time. I can clearly hear them talking with each other.
    I have GOT to stop watching "I Love Lucy" reruns on TV.

Bart
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6531
    Re:Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits? 2011/11/07 17:08:00 (permalink)
    Al

I have been to two battle fields where i have had encounters.
    Gettysburg & Chickamauga.  Somewhere I have a picture taken in the chickamuaga battle field and at the tree line behind the row of canon, you can clearly see a spectoral shadow of a period solider with musket at the ready.

I was at Gettysburg a few years back in mid July, and as we were touring the battle field we came near where Pickets charge began.  In amongst the trees you could hear male voices and the crackling of musket fire.  There were only 10 of us there and NO ONE else around.

I love the search for paranormal.  I would love visiting the "haunted" places and just trying to catch something.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1