Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long?

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2012/01/26 13:31:09 (permalink)

Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long?

I did today, 10:10AM appt. the guy sees me at Noon. I said if I kept my customers waiting as long as you keep your patienrs waiting, I'd be out of business. He apologized, said he's always guilty of it. I said, I'm running a business and can't afford to sit here, every time I need to see you.
I've been going to this Family Doc for 26 years, and his waits are getting ridiculous, next time it happens, I find a new Doctor.
I know most will say, every Doctor makes you wait like that, fact is, that's not true....folks need to stand up to their Doctors...Your thoughts?

29 Replies Related Threads

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/26 13:40:13 (permalink)
    No but I should have. I always made my appointment for first thing when they opened. Most times he wasn't there yet and when he did come in I could hear him talking to his staff, making phone calls and worst of all.....   see the pharmaceutical reps BEFORE he'd see patients! A year ago I was in the hospital and he never came to see me, his practice was in a medical grouping and the groups rep saw me instead. I was told to follow up with him when I was released and I did. When I saw him he said.... "oh, you were in the hospital?" I switched doctors as soon as I could get out of his medical group.  (Blue Cross rules, had to wait until the end of the month)
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/26 13:45:17 (permalink)
    Double AMEN!!  I was having some stomach issues a few years ago.  It involved a hospital procedure.  I had an appointment at 8:00AM.  I waited and waited and the MD showed up at 9:30.  he apologized and indicated that he got caught up in traffic.  Knoxville ain't that big.  I sorta chewed us butt out and told him that I came in the same way and there was no issue and he was just plain tardy.  I had two appointments in the same hospital and the second was one of these deals where they made you swallow a bunch of chalk and xray you.  They told me to put on the hospital gown and wait in the other room with about 30 people.  You know how these gowns are and they sorta expose the crack of your A$$.  I refused and told them that was humiliating.  They remarked that they had already heard about me from the prior MD.  I walked out and wrote the hospital.  I got a very insincere apology.

My current MD is very good.  If I have an appointment at 9:00AM, he usually sees me at 8:45AM.

MD's is a service business.  Our time is worth money and sometimes more than theirs.  I think the industry is getting much better and the days of customer abuse is over as there are many options.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/26 14:03:46 (permalink)
    My MD is very good and prompt. I rarely have to wait 10 minutes before I see her.
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 793
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/26 14:07:27 (permalink)
    I use the VA, so I can't complain to much since I am not paying for it. But yes sometimes the waits are pretty long. Then again sometimes in. out, done.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3482
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/26 14:07:55 (permalink)
    I did, before I changed doctors. A few minutes, sure. But more than 30 and I walk. The best part was when they tried to charge me for an appointment that I "didn't keep". Said appointment was for 8am. I was shown to the examination room at 8:20am. I left the examination room at 8:50am, stopping at the desk on my way by to let them know exactly why I was leaving.

Funny, after a letter to the health system overseeing his office, that bill went away.

My new guy, though...usually they're calling me back before I even finish filling out the paperwork, and I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes once I'm in the room. If it's been more than five minutes, someone (sometimes even him) will pop their head in the door to let me know it'll only be a few minutes more.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/26 14:59:13 (permalink)
    Sundancer7

My current MD is very good.  If I have an appointment at 9:00AM, he usually sees me at 8:45AM.

This is what my new doctor is like. I went in a few weeks ago and I was reporting in to the front desk when they called me! Hadn't even taken my coat off yet.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7844
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/26 15:36:21 (permalink)
    Yes.  He just told me he had an emergency patient in front of me.

Didn't like because I could hear him just shooting the breeze in the next room.

Second pet peeve which might only be a Los Angeles thing....

Why can't doctors pay for your parking?

All of my dentists have always validated my parking ticket.

But doctors?  No way.  

I wait in the office for my appointment while the parking fee, which is charged in 15 minute increments racks up.

My last visit was a $12 parking charge!

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/26 16:00:39 (permalink)
    I think the parking thing depends on where you are. Here, 90% of the doctor's offices have a free parking lot next to their building. The few in areas where you would normally have to pay to park always validate the ticket. That's true at the hospitals as well...if the parking isn't already free (at three of the four hospitals here it is), they validate if you're there for pretty much any reason, even just to visit someone.
    SeamusD
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1006
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/26 16:08:19 (permalink)
    My doctor is always very prompt, and the girls in the office couldn't be nicer. My biggest complaint is that he talks TOO much and keeps me in the room longer than necessary. At least he pays attention and doesn't rush me out.
    I had a great doctor out in Seattle, and he had been out with a medical condition. His replacement had me waiting 45 minutes, barely checked me out, told me one thing was wrong with me, wrote down something completely different on my records, and prescribed me medication that made me sick. My ex-wife had the misfortune of getting that same quack on her visit, and he made her so uncomfortable she refused to go back. On my next visit my regular doc was back, and I saw the wrong diagnosis on my charts, and told him everything his replacement had done and told me and my wife. My doc was TICKED, and I heard him talking to the other doctor on my way out.
    Unfortunately, he ended up passing away about a month later, and I never went back to that office.
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/27 09:40:51 (permalink)
    Been seeing this doc about 5 years now. This practice has a policy that if you're not seen within 15 minutes of your appointment time then you get a $25 debit card. I have yet to qualify for one.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/27 11:10:41 (permalink)
    i just switched dr.s--it was not the wait--although it was always long!!!--but his office staff--they sucked!! i could not get in touch with him--i'd call and could ONLY GET THROUGH TO A LIVE HUMAN BEING ONE IN 15 TIMES---ACTUALLY--I KEPT TRACK   and--the machi9ne i did reach--HAD NO MESSAGE CAPABILITY!!!  It took me 3 days to get throw on average. plus--when i did get an appt. he always had so many patients at a time he was always running back and forth--i  got sick of spending a fortune to get run throw rat race for care i deserved and was paying for! When i left him i told him--sorry but although your med advice is fine--I CANT GET IT because your too busy and your staff is rude innefficiant--he said he had heard that several time lately---but he still works with the same staff! New doc---and office staff is great. Its nice to actually get through to them when i have a question or problem and to have a doc that actually takes the time to CALL me back every time!!! PLus--havent waited more then 5 mins at the office visits.  Doctors have to realize that i KNOW how much it took for him to get his job and skills---BUT--i am still the PAYING FOR IT ALL and i deserve aand demand as much respect as he does! If my plumber ticks me off i let him know--my doc is no different--if he wants MY money he better be willing PROVIDE SERVICE!

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/27 11:24:45 (permalink)
    Thinking back, the biggest difference between my old doc and new one is age. Old doc is about my age, 65 or so and always seemed like he was just going through the motions lately. We used to communicate well 25+ years ago but somewhere along the way he lost his sense of humor and compassion. New doc is a young woman who finished her residency in 2007. She listens, she cares and she talks. I also like that I can email new doc and get a response usually within a few hours.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18384
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/27 12:43:14 (permalink)
    I once billed my doc for keeping me waiting for more than an hour. I billed him at my standard consultant rate. And he paid by deducting that amount from his bill for my next visit. I walked out after the long wait, but not before telling the receptionist that I had to leave because I had a business appointment, and that I did not keep my clients waiting. I received applause from the other waiting patients, and two of themfollowed me out the door to leave.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/27 13:14:05 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

I once billed my doc for keeping me waiting for more than an hour. I billed him at my standard consultant rate. And he paid by deducting that amount from his bill for my next visit. I walked out after the long wait, but not before telling the receptionist that I had to leave because I had a business appointment, and that I did not keep my clients waiting. I received applause from the other waiting patients, and two of themfollowed me out the door to leave.

Super message to the MD. Good job Michael.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18384
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/27 13:35:58 (permalink)
    Thanks. After that I never waited more than ten minutes. And ten minutes was OK with me.

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6767
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/27 14:51:20 (permalink)
    My MD is fantastic.  I usually arrive 15 mins. early, sign in and barely have time to hang up my coat, they're already calling me.  And he doesn't leave me sitting in the exam room for more than a few minutes.  I'm one of the lucky ones.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/27 15:09:43 (permalink)
    New doctor question/problem...

Do you feel like your doctors are trying to "sell you" procedures or products?

I went to a podiatrist last year... three visits.
    First visit he sold me (I'm a sucker) a sort of scrub brush with soap in it made specifically for feet.  Cost...  $12.  I found it on Ebay for $4.

Second visit... 2 tubes of antibacterial cream.
    Cost...  $25.   A cute foot brush for $5 that I bought because it was cute.   I also found the creams on Ebay for a fouth of the cost AND I was in his office for ingrown toenails, not a skin problem.

Third visit...  Besides surgery, he TRIED to sell me 2 new creams and a pair of shoes.  You got them on your way out of the office from the office staff.

I just told them No, thank you and left.  That was and will remain to be my last visit to him.

Now my regular doctor wants me to have a bone density test and judging the result might have me take a heart stress test.  I HAD ONE LAST YEAR!

That's stress enough!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6383
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/27 15:41:38 (permalink)
    Lately, i have been waiting LOTS for the various doctors I am seeing.

I bring my kindle and headphones and just zone out.  I dont mind the waiting as my regular MD has been helping me with his source of free samples of insulin.  I figured it out and in the past year he has given me over $6000 worth of insulin.  I think for that I can wait.

I do hate taking my son to the dentist at children's hospital in cincy.  they seem to have "Dora the Explorer" on the TV no matter what time i take him for his appointments.  I HATE DORA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3723
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/27 17:28:32 (permalink)
    I really do not mind waiting for one of my doctors as he is a surgeon and is always being called over to the hospital (next door) for emergency surgery.

I just wish that they would announce that he is in surgery and give us the  choice of waiting  or making a future appointment.
    post edited by Greymo - 2012/01/27 17:37:03
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/28 13:14:09 (permalink)
    mar52

New doctor question/problem...

Do you feel like your doctors are trying to "sell you" procedures or products?

I went to a podiatrist last year... three visits.
    First visit he sold me (I'm a sucker) a sort of scrub brush with soap in it made specifically for feet.  Cost...  $12.  I found it on Ebay for $4.

Second visit... 2 tubes of antibacterial cream.
    Cost...  $25.   A cute foot brush for $5 that I bought because it was cute.   I also found the creams on Ebay for a fouth of the cost AND I was in his office for ingrown toenails, not a skin problem.

Third visit...  Besides surgery, he TRIED to sell me 2 new creams and a pair of shoes.  You got them on your way out of the office from the office staff.

I just told them No, thank you and left.  That was and will remain to be my last visit to him.

Now my regular doctor wants me to have a bone density test and judging the result might have me take a heart stress test.  I HAD ONE LAST YEAR!

That's stress enough!

No, but our Vetinarian, tries to rip us a new one on every visit!

mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/28 17:13:35 (permalink)
    I won't even go there.  

(Just spent $1800 for my Molly's surgery at the vet)

The SUV will have to be fixed next year.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/28 18:01:38 (permalink)
    My dog recently had to have knee surgery so says a vet orthopedic surgeon.  My local vet says no.  I waited and my dog recovered and still chases squirrels just like she was a puppy and she is 17 years old?  Trust your vet?  I don't think so. 

Perhaps my dog of 17 years old will pass away in the next few years.  I dread that but if she does, I will get a small dog, perhaps a poodle that weights less than 10 lbs and does not shed.  My current dog which is ugly, rescue dog and weighs about 30 is very healthy but she will not last very long.  I hate it but I will replace her.

With my next dog, I will require before I purchase that the animal is house trained and totally up to the standards that I wish and in addition, I will purchase health insurance.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN   
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/28 18:24:04 (permalink)
    Every time we take our cat to the vets, there is something new going on with her..............I cannot believe how much this vet gets out of us.  She has this special food that she requests the owners to buy  and it cost as much as a fillet migon.  After a year of this , I told my daughter in law that  if the cat could not survive on regular cat food.........forget it.

The cat has been happily nibbling  away at supermarket cat food ever since and is just as healthy as ever.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/28 19:00:42 (permalink)
    Greymo

Every time we take our cat to the vets, there is something new going on with her..............I cannot believe how much this vet gets out of us.  She has this special food that she requests the owners to buy  and it cost as much as a fillet migon.  After a year of this , I told my daughter in law that  if the cat could not survive on regular cat food.........forget it.

The cat has been happily nibbling  away at supermarket cat food ever since and is just as healthy as ever.

Greymo:  I totally agree.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/01/29 12:34:27 (permalink)
    I try to choose my battles wisely. I was recently waiting for cataract surgery at a one day surgery center and a man who came in after me started in on the nurses, staff etc after about 15 minutes of waiting. I stayed quiet though I had waited an hour beyond my appointment time. 
    I told my wife afterward that I didn't want anyone operating on my eye after I had pi$$ed off his entire staff.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1299
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/02/05 16:21:43 (permalink)
    My wife and I were foster parents for handicapped children. Although we took them to our own doctors (at our own expense), we were required, by law, to take them to the official Medicaid physicians. Our experience: We make a 10:30 AM appointment. We get to the office at 10 AM, to find the place filled with people, all of whom have 10:30 AM appointments. At noon, the doctor shows up at the office, and proceeds to go to lunch. At 12:30, he starts seeing the patients in the order they showed up at the office.

This was not the exception; this was the standard way of doing this, with all the specialists we had to see. There was only one neurologist we can see; we found out from parents that he recommended institutionalization for every child with a neurological problem, no matter how minor.

I will admit that this has definitely shaped my own opinion on government run health care for everybody.

Bart
    NascarDad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/02/08 15:35:42 (permalink)
    chewingthefat I know most will say, every Doctor makes you wait like that, fact is, that's not true....folks need to stand up to their Doctors...Your thoughts?

It depends.

My old doctor, I should have, but maybe she should have wondered why I would nto come more often.  I don't have more than an hour to wait , fasting no less, on a weekend, in a zone with zero bars cell coverage even lol.  I could be doing stuff with my family, or getting work squared away so I coudl spend less time at work.

That said, doctors who have offices near hospitals often run late due to emergencies with their patients. For example, I know my wife made some ladies have a long wait for their appointment when she needed an emergency C section and her doctor ran over to perform it.  Most doctors probably don't have such a good excuse, but many of them do have urgent situations if which we are unaware.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/02/08 16:39:15 (permalink)
    I agree with you.  Eleven years ago, I had surgery at  8 AM.  Something went wrong .  My doctor had to come back at 1 PM  and spend three hours with me.  I can imagine how many irate patients that he had that afternoon.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Do you ever tell your Doctor he's kept you waiting too long? 2012/02/08 17:53:46 (permalink)
    For me, there is a huge difference between having to wait because my doctor had an emergency with another patient and having to wait because the office cannot schedule appointments in such a manner that he can actually see the patients who have appointments. I have never had an issue waiting for a doctor if someone explains to me that I can't have my annual exam because someone has gone into labour.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1