Do you flour your Scrapple first?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2011/02/26 16:53:44 (permalink)

Do you flour your Scrapple first?

Or just slice it and fry it in butter? Me, I flour mine, then a butter fry, sliced real thin but thick enough for both sides to crisp yet a little soft middle. How do you prepare yours?

31 Replies Related Threads

Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/02/27 10:52:13 (permalink)
    I cut it a bit thicker than most, he likes it crispy.. fry without flour , with cooking spray.... and must have Maple syrup!!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8318
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/02/27 12:36:40 (permalink)
    Scrapple?

Never made it to the west coast.  I'll try it both ways, please.
    dimmie2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/02/27 13:41:06 (permalink)
    Scrapple?  Is that like spam?
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/02/27 14:18:06 (permalink)
    dimmie2

Not really, well somewhat, but it's a breakfast meat made up of hog parts that are of unspeakable origin, nicely seasoned, sliced and fried. totally different taste and texture from Spam.

Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/02/27 14:31:57 (permalink)
    @mar52 br glad! I don't love it! But he does. I believe it's a Western Pa type thing. His parent'd live near Farmer's so we get "clean" Scrapple... Ground Pork with Corn meal added as you boil it. Then put in pan's to cool and cut into slices. Maple syrup is a custom when serving. And it really is quite good, with syrup!
    bdtn
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/02/27 14:56:25 (permalink)
    store bought I flour. homemade I dont. last batch I made cost me 4$ for around 12#s.
    pork butt,cornmeal/poultry seasoning and a little liver it does not taste right with out the liver.
    grind meat and liver boil for a hour add cornmeal and spices cook till thick pour in loaf pans and cool
    you cant find it in tn so we have to make it .
    dimmie2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/02/27 21:32:09 (permalink)
    Liver?
    Well, that leaves me out.  Guess I'll stick with spam.
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/02/28 07:47:37 (permalink)
    I've never floured it. I do like it crispy with a little maple syrup drizzled on it. If I don't use syrup I might top it with a poached egg or two.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/02/28 12:21:22 (permalink)
    I never heard of topping scrapple with maple syrup 'till a few weeks ago when I was at Skyline Jack's (St Petersburg, FL) for breakfast and was served a little cruet of maple syrup with my scrapple. I did not use the syrup, preferring to just mix the scrapple with the eggs as I ate. BTW: Skyline Jack's also serves a great brains and eggs.

When I fry scrapple at home ( hard to find in grocery stores here in the Hudson Valley), I cut it about 3/4 inch thick and fry it in a pan sprayed with a bit of oil 'till it is nicely browned on both sides - no flour needed - I like it crispy on the outside and juicy inside.

Cheers, John  
    brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1144
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/02/28 12:26:29 (permalink)
    Can someone clue me in on the difference between scrapple which I've had and goetta which I have not. Thanks.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/02/28 13:53:25 (permalink)
    brisketboy

Can someone clue me in on the difference between scrapple which I've had and goetta which I have not. Thanks.

Goetta can have beef in it, sometimes vegies, onions, thyme and various other spices and mixed with Oats. Scrapple is 100% pork mixed with corn meal.

fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 813
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/02/28 14:42:01 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

dimmie2

Not really, well somewhat, but it's a breakfast meat made up of hog parts that are of unspeakable origin, nicely seasoned, sliced and fried. totally different taste and texture from Spam.

"hog parts of unspeakable origin"

SeeTheUSA
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/03/04 10:16:31 (permalink)
    My first reply in a while.......Scrapple is always said to have "everything but the "oink" of the pig or hog"......it would be the pieces ordinarily thrown away by "gentlemen farmers"......established farmers leave nothing from the animals to go to waste.  Anyway, pig pieces ground, cooked with cornmeal and spices, and then poured into a loaf pan to harden - slice and fry in lard, bacon fat (best) - myself I like it fried crispy on a diner flat-top grill (no coating), but at home, floured and fried in bacon grease.......here in NJ we have finally started getting scrapple in the food marts just the last couple of years - before used to get it when I saw relatives in Pennsylvania - and even there were a number of local brands in the stores - flavor changes with each brand as to how much and what parts of pork they use --- my aunt still makes her own scrapple from pork butt as my uncle doesn't like "the rest of the squeal" (GRIN) --- if anyone wants I can ask her for the recipe to make a loaf pan of it.  My favorite is a side of scrapple served with PA Dutch Chicken Waffles which is almost like a creamed chicken ala king poured over a homemade waffle - auntie won't give up that recipe because it is just too delicious the way she makes it and she has to be "one-up" on all my other aunts for a few of the standard PA Dutch type recipes (GRIN)....
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/03/05 10:26:01 (permalink)
    SeeTheUSA,
    My mom makes her own scrapple & will have some ready for me when I visit her next week.  When ever she makes a port roast, she saves the drippings, fat,screds of pork, freezes them & then when she knows I am coming home she will make a loaf pan of scrapple much in the same way you describe.
    Mom will fry the scrapple in butter, no flour.  The secret is fry low & slow so that the ourside gets crispy,but the inside will be both hot & creamy.  I always use white Karo.  I know some of you are cringing, but I love white Karo.
    SeeTheUSA
    Junior Burger
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/03/06 11:06:34 (permalink)
    claracamille

SeeTheUSA,
    My mom makes her own scrapple & will have some ready for me when I visit her next week.  When ever she makes a port roast, she saves the drippings, fat,screds of pork, freezes them & then when she knows I am coming home she will make a loaf pan of scrapple much in the same way you describe.
    Mom will fry the scrapple in butter, no flour.  The secret is fry low & slow so that the ourside gets crispy,but the inside will be both hot & creamy.  I always use white Karo.  I know some of you are cringing, but I love white Karo.

Claracamille,
        Wouldn't cringe at Karo syrup, that's how some in the family pour on their scrapple to eat it......others use maple syrup, blueberry syrup or other homemade syrup, or even honey on their scrapple....... I'll also pour sausage gravy over mine (GRIN)...nice of your Mom to treat you so well......my Mom, saint that she was, couldn't cook worth a darn....
    we used to joke her favorite food groups were: take in; take out, canned, frozen, boxed and instant. I had to start making my own birthday cakes at age 7, yeah seven, if I wanted one on my birthday and even made my neighbors wedding cake at age 10 - it was a small outdoor affair and it took me a week to learn how to make nice buttercream roses to decorate the cake with. With all this food talk, I wish I was out an auntie's right now.....she makes a mean sausage gravy with biscuits and pecan/walnut cinnamon roll with four different kinds of buttercream  that she puts a dollop of on the rolls while the froll is sitill hot.
    SeeTheUSA
    Junior Burger
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/03/06 11:41:32 (permalink)
    Aunt Joan's Scrapple recipe:
    1/2 lb boneless pork shoulder cut into 1 inch pieces
    1 cup white cornmean (she uses white, don't know how yellow would work)
    2 tablespoons chopped celery leave
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon each of allspice, black ground pepper, rubbed sage
    1/4 cup all purpose flour (don't sift) for coating before frying if you like
    Vegetable shortening, lard, bacon grease for frying
    Optional - maple syrup, honey, light corn syrup to drizzle on piece

Cook pork in water to cover in a large saucepan unti tender (about 40 minutes). Drain pork, setting aside broth in a 1 quart measuring glass. If needed add water to broth to make 4 cups. My aunt grinds the pork and any attached fat in a old handrun grinder she has attached to one of her counters, but she said she has also processed it in a food porcessor, but make it a coarse grind, don't process until it's like babyfood (no good). Return ground pork and broth to same saucepan you used before and gradually stir in the cornmeal and the chopped celery/parsley, salt, allspice, pepper, and sage. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly; cook for approximately 15-18 minutes continuing to stir (elevation and gas vs. electric make the time approximate). Let cool for a few minutes in pan, and then pour the mixture into a greased eight (8) inch loaf pan and cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate overnight to cool and congeal completely.
       To serve, unmold onto a large plate or cutting board to cut. Cut crosswise into 12 slices (experience in future you can make thinner or thicker slices). Either coat slices in flour or fry directly in a pan in bacon fat, lard or shortening (butter can be used but blend with a little oil - butter has a low scorching temp). Fry several pieces at a time until light brown on both sides (don't turn too often - about five-seven minutes combined). Serve hot alone or with syrups/honey.

That's my Aunt Joan's fastest easiest recipe for scrapple.....she has another that her mom used to make (Joan's from a family of 14 kids from the mountains of west PA) that uses more parts of the pig, but my uncle won't eat that version (GRIN)...  As with any recipe, if you substitute something else for one of the ingredients it will be different result. But if you wanted to try a mild scrapple and it isn't available packaged in your area, this is a good one.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10356
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/03/06 16:06:41 (permalink)
    SeeTheUSA,
    THANX! for the recipe!.
    Has anyone ever heard, seen or made Scrapple Sausage?? Me neither but I bet it could be done. what do you think? 
    cementhead
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 134
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/03/06 16:24:34 (permalink)
    Buy from Shady Maple Farm Market, slice fairly thick and deep fry - no flour. Sometimes eat with ketchup. I think I pay about $1.39/lb,is that an average price for scrapple?
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/03/06 17:09:36 (permalink)
    Foodbme

SeeTheUSA,
    THANX! for the recipe!.
    Has anyone ever heard, seen or made Scrapple Sausage?? Me neither but I bet it could be done. what do you think? 

Yes it could easily be done, but you would want sausage no bigger in diameter than a Bob Evans link sausage, as you want a crispy outside and creamy center.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/03/06 19:00:10 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

Foodbme

SeeTheUSA,
    THANX! for the recipe!.

Yes it could easily be done, but you would want sausage no bigger in diameter than a Bob Evans link sausage, as you want a crispy outside and creamy center.

One the size of a 1/4 # Hot Dog should work if you put a little water in the pan to steam it then brown it the rest of the way. 
    californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/03/06 19:06:09 (permalink)
    SCRAPPLE HAS MADE IT TO THE WEST COAST! BETTES OCEANFRON DINER IN BERKELEY HAS IT , AND ITS GOOD BUT RATHER EXPENSIVE AT 4 DOLLARS OR MORE FOR A DAINTY SLICE THAT WOULD BE LAUGHED OUT OF ANY SELF RESPECTIONG JOISEY DINER..STILL, i'LL BE BACK (AS OUR FORMER GUV WOULD SAY)
    SeeTheUSA
    Junior Burger
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/03/08 09:26:22 (permalink)
    cementhead

Buy from Shady Maple Farm Market, slice fairly thick and deep fry - no flour. Sometimes eat with ketchup. I think I pay about $1.39/lb,is that an average price for scrapple?

Cementhead,
      $1.39 a pound is a decent price.  Around PA territory (and JOISEY) there seems to be Shady Maple, HATFIELD's, and MEADOWs (richest one) scrapple.... and they all seem to retail in the store about  99 cents (when on sale) to about $1.99 a pound. I still prefer my aunt's homemade because I still like to know what part of the "oink" is in the scrapple (GRIN)... but in a diner you don't have that luxury. Thanks to the cooks on Food Network we are finally starting to see more scrapple and  grits in our local eateries, where years before if you asked for grits they would say "you must be from the south" or "try a New Jersey Porkroll-cheese-egg sandwich, you're in Jersey now"...... as time goes on those great old silver/chrome diners are fading away and I hate to see them go........... I still like a "diner breakfast special" which is 2 eggs any style, homefries, and toast for $1.99 and add scrapple,grits, bacon, sausage, or ham for $1.50 more. That and getting a good burger with french fries and a side cup of homemade diner chicken gravy to dunk the fries in ----yum!!!!!!!!.

claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/03/12 14:42:49 (permalink)
    SeeTheUSA

claracamille

SeeTheUSA,

Claracamille,
       Wouldn't cringe at Karo syrup, that's how some in the family pour on their scrapple to eat it......others use maple syrup, blueberry syrup or other homemade syrup, or even honey on their scrapple....... I'll also pour sausage gravy over mine (GRIN)...nice of your Mom to treat you so well......my Mom, saint that she was, couldn't cook worth a darn....
    we used to joke her favorite food groups were: take in; take out, canned, frozen, boxed and instant. I had to start making my own birthday cakes at age 7, yeah seven, if I wanted one on my birthday and even made my neighbors wedding cake at age 10 - it was a small outdoor affair and it took me a week to learn how to make nice buttercream roses to decorate the cake with. With all this food talk, I wish I was out an auntie's right now.....she makes a mean sausage gravy with biscuits and pecan/walnut cinnamon roll with four different kinds of buttercream  that she puts a dollop of on the rolls while the froll is sitill hot.

SeeThe USA,
    Just got back from my mom's,visiting her for her 89the birthday.  No scrapple this time, but sausage gravy & biscuits made with sausage from my Aunt Annie, they butchered a pig this fall.   Great sausage.
    I really admire you & your cak making ability.  I am more of a pie person.
    ChrisOC
    • Total Posts : 1037
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/03/12 15:11:58 (permalink)
    No flour.  Some thin and crispy, some thick and creamy.  Top with apple butter.
    CLVdog
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/03/12 18:54:44 (permalink)
    Wabbit's way is the way we make ours here too !!!!!!!!
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/03/13 08:55:18 (permalink)
    SeeTheUSA

Aunt Joan's Scrapple recipe:
    1/2 lb boneless pork shoulder cut into 1 inch pieces
    1 cup white cornmean (she uses white, don't know how yellow would work)
    2 tablespoons chopped celery leave
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon each of allspice, black ground pepper, rubbed sage
    1/4 cup all purpose flour (don't sift) for coating before frying if you like
    Vegetable shortening, lard, bacon grease for frying
    Optional - maple syrup, honey, light corn syrup to drizzle on piece

Cook pork in water to cover in a large saucepan unti tender (about 40 minutes). Drain pork, setting aside broth in a 1 quart measuring glass. If needed add water to broth to make 4 cups. My aunt grinds the pork and any attached fat in a old handrun grinder she has attached to one of her counters, but she said she has also processed it in a food porcessor, but make it a coarse grind, don't process until it's like babyfood (no good). Return ground pork and broth to same saucepan you used before and gradually stir in the cornmeal and the chopped celery/parsley, salt, allspice, pepper, and sage. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly; cook for approximately 15-18 minutes continuing to stir (elevation and gas vs. electric make the time approximate). Let cool for a few minutes in pan, and then pour the mixture into a greased eight (8) inch loaf pan and cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate overnight to cool and congeal completely.
      To serve, unmold onto a large plate or cutting board to cut. Cut crosswise into 12 slices (experience in future you can make thinner or thicker slices). Either coat slices in flour or fry directly in a pan in bacon fat, lard or shortening (butter can be used but blend with a little oil - butter has a low scorching temp). Fry several pieces at a time until light brown on both sides (don't turn too often - about five-seven minutes combined). Serve hot alone or with syrups/honey.

That's my Aunt Joan's fastest easiest recipe for scrapple.....she has another that her mom used to make (Joan's from a family of 14 kids from the mountains of west PA) that uses more parts of the pig, but my uncle won't eat that version (GRIN)...  As with any recipe, if you substitute something else for one of the ingredients it will be different result. But if you wanted to try a mild scrapple and it isn't available packaged in your area, this is a good one.

I'll bet this is tasty, but it is a little tame...I wish I could remember my Pap's recipe. He was the man in charge of the Pon Hoss (Scrapple) and the Sausage making each year when butchering time came around.

The huge black iron pot (seemed like it held 20 or 30 gallons or maybe more!) would be put over the fire and filled with most of the inards, depending on how many hogs were killed, some were saved for making all kinds of delicious treats, the head was split in two and added along with all of the meat trimmings.

The pot was topped off with water to cover by a good bit, and then brought to a boil, salt and pepper were added, and the whole thing cooked for quite awhile. I always loved to grab a hunk of the liver and have it hot with a little salt.....then corn meal, salt, and more black pepper were added, allot of black pepper...I know he added other herbs and spices but I don't remember what.

The whole thing cooked until he said it was done....then it was poured or ladled into foil loaf pans to cool.

We ate ours with syrup, or Ketchup...some was cut thin so it would end up like a potato chip, some was cut thick so it would get crusty and stay creamy in the middle but it was always cooked in fresh lard.

peanutluv
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/03/13 11:35:39 (permalink)
    Cut thick and coated in cornstarch fried in oil until cooked throghout and extra crispy. Can't beat that crunchy outside and creamy inside. Some older guy told my husband awhile ago to try it that way and he has been frying it up like that since. Yum Yum. Our preferred brand of scrapple Habbersett.
    Phishmonger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 217
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/03/13 13:21:45 (permalink)
    By golly, this brings me back to my teen years, when my "Uncle Bill", my widowed Mom's second husband came into our lives. A native of PA,, he brought a love of Scrapple to our table. At first, I was leary, but quickly became a convert. Haven't had any in at least 50 years. I've gotta go out to the local markets and see if I can find some. I'll fry it neat, and have with maple syrup and eggs over easy for breakfast till it's all gone! Can't say any more...must hurry out to hunt for it. Wish me luck. Bye.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Do you flour your Scrapple first? 2011/03/13 15:42:18 (permalink)
    Rebeltruce,
    I was gonna call it Pon Hoss too but I figured no one would know what I was talking about. Since you and I are from the same neck of the woods we understand what we're talking about. Any other Pennsylvanians out there that call Scrapple Pon Hoss? I don't remember the Correct spelling for Pon Hoss but that's how you pronounce it.
    EDIT: I found the correct Spelling! Ain't this here Internet Great??
    "The Pennsylvana Dutch name for this dish is panhas (PON-hoss). It is still called that and sold under that name in German and Pennsylvania Dutch markets. However, because it was made with scraps of pork, it became known as scrapple, and that name stuck."
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/03/13 15:50:57
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1