The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it?

Geoff Steinberg

• Total Posts: 27
Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Thu, 09/25/03 2:44 AM (permalink)
This is something of an introduction thread for me.

My name is Geoff Steinberg, and I love food.

But food hates me.

I have taste buds like a starving trucker and even at 5'9 - 170 pounds can out eat just about all of my larger friends! I do have a beer gut and no discernible muscles but if I worked out it wouldn't be a problem. I can pretty much eat a garbage can and not gain weight. I'm like a goat with a tin can.

But I DO get indigestion and it ISN'T fun. I get it all, gas, diarrhea, cramps, and pains, and the worst part is that it's almost random as to when it happens. I think it has to do with my sleep cycle and how quickly I eat, combined with how I sit (slouched, slumped, straight, standing), what the cutlery is made out of, I don't know but I can eat a chili burger with Aussie fries and a milkshake Monday night (expecting a rough night) then sail smooth into Tuesday at 3pm when I let out a surprisingly massive belch or get cold sweats from diarrhea or abdominal cramps. Recently I was minding my own business at work and without warning I let out an enormous, loud, wet fart that stained the seat of my underwear with a hot mess. I work in music retail, and we were way busy that day. I looked at the floor, went to a nearby "GAP", threw my pants in the trash, and went back to work. Naturally I threw out my wallet by mistake as well and by the time I returned the wallet was gone. My only consolation -- someone had to reach into dirty territory for that wallet, which hardly had any money in it anyway, so I figure they probably earned it.

My overall appearance tends a bit on the slovenly side and that doesn't help. You can probably imagine me on a date, doubling over with a stomach cramp and the girl thinks I'm making a dive for her chest and slugs me.

Well not to get too far off track, but what do you use to control these kinds of symptoms? HELP ME!

The Geoffrey

Arbuckle

• Total Posts: 2
    RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Thu, 09/25/03 6:38 AM (permalink)
    Heyya Geoffrey, first time post for me as well.

I find that charcoal works wonders for me. You can get it in tablet form from quite a few pharmacies, but I find that method far too expensive. It's a lot cheaper to just get raw charcoal, and powder it up. I then mix this powder with vinegar and water, or olive oil, depending on the meal. This solution is then lightly sprinkled over meals that I always have trouble eating, such as chilli. I cant really notice any difference in taste, and suffer no indigestion, all for the cost of a stick of charcoal.

Trucky McGillis

• Total Posts: 26
      RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Thu, 09/25/03 11:35 AM (permalink)
      Well I'll be danged - this is kinda nasty, m'man.

I think maybe you oughta see a doctor about this - I been saying this in some of the other posts too.

Personally, I think indegestion is just the good lord's way of sayin "Hey boy - quit sticking food in your piehole!"

That will learn most of us. But it sounds like you got something a little worse than that.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
        RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Thu, 09/25/03 11:38 AM (permalink)
        Where's the moderator when you need him? AL?!?!?!??!

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
          RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Thu, 09/25/03 12:02 PM (permalink)
          I think you should consult a gastrointestinal physician. Sounds like something , such as an allergen, may be triggering your irritating your GI tract. For plain old run of the mill indigestion, the acid blockers now available over the counter such as pepcid work well.

Lone Star

RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Thu, 09/25/03 12:03 PM (permalink)
            By the way, that was a little grosser than it needed to be Geoff.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
              RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Thu, 09/25/03 12:19 PM (permalink)
              I personally don't think I would have posted my last name. Surely it's not a serious post period. Gosh forbid if I'm wrong.

Gone not to return....to this subject.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Thu, 09/25/03 3:07 PM (permalink)
                I think he needs medical attention to get that tongue removed from his cheek.

Geoff Steinberg

RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Thu, 09/25/03 3:54 PM (permalink)
                  Sorry didn't mean to make it 'gross' but that's pretty much the way most of my days go. Every day of my life has had one thing in common with every other day - I've been unhealthy. When I was a little kid momma would take me to the doctor at least once a week and for typically good reason.

But the indigestion is more recent, like 4-5 years. And it doesn't hit me regardless of what I eat, I should have said that, it's when I eat heavy/greasy/"truck stop" kind of chow that I get bad symptoms. A lot of other things, like that I have a small bladder for instance, is unrelated.

I'm pretty unhealthy but you don't really think my indigestion sounds serious do you? Does anyone know of anyone who actually had to see a doctor for this?

NancyPeter

• Total Posts: 233
                    RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Thu, 09/25/03 5:28 PM (permalink)
                    My suggestion: first, clean up your posts...second, clean up your act (food-wise, that is)

KimChee43

• Total Posts: 382
                      RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Thu, 09/25/03 5:32 PM (permalink)
                      Let's talk common sense here. If "heavy/greasy/"truck stop" chow" is the source of your gastrointestinal problems, maybe you need to eliminate that crap (no pun intended) from your daily diet. Cutting back on the "SuperSize" beverages might alleviate your bladder problem. Good luck.

Lone Star

RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Thu, 09/25/03 5:37 PM (permalink)
                        I still suggest you consult a physician there are several conditions that are aggravated by the consumption of foods as you have described. i.e. gall bladder inflammation.

Get it checked out and feel better.

Geoff Steinberg

RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Fri, 09/26/03 3:40 AM (permalink)
                          Well look ok thank you all, I appreciate that you might be concerned about me! But seriously doesn't anyone have home remedies or anything for indigestion? What do you do when you get it?

Also was that serious about charcoal? I've never heard that but am a bit wary of trying it just from the internet's advice... can you follow up with me? :)

Sundancer7

RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Fri, 09/26/03 6:39 AM (permalink)
                            Cletus??????

Paul E. Smith
                            Knoxville, TN

Arbuckle

• Total Posts: 2
                              RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Fri, 09/26/03 7:41 AM (permalink)
                              http://www.charcoal.uk.com/tablets.htm

Of course my method doesnt include all the other ingredients, but I imagine they are more for taste and ease of swallowing rather than anything else. That isnt really needed in my liquid charcoal.

foodmelee

• Total Posts: 13
                                RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Fri, 09/26/03 8:18 AM (permalink)
                                not that these are medical forums or anything....but drink a cup of water with a dash of baking soda in it for indigestion. and go see a doctor for anything else, cause you wont get any over the counter relief for the other 'mess' you are describing.

Trucky McGillis

RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Fri, 09/26/03 8:55 AM (permalink)
                                  Liquid charcoal? You gotta be yanking my chain!?

Lone Star

RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Fri, 09/26/03 10:27 AM (permalink)
                                    Liquid charcoal is what is used in overdoses. Believe me, it is not pretty.

KimChee43

• Total Posts: 382
                                      RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Fri, 09/26/03 10:31 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Rusty246

I personally don't think I would have posted my last name. Surely it's not a serious post period. Gosh forbid if I'm wrong.

Gone not to return....to this subject.

RUSTY246: I couldn't agree with you more. I think that this topic and the person who originated it are bogus. It's too bad that somebody gets their kicks out of jerking good people around this way. You said it well, "Gone, not to return...to this subject."

Trucky McGillis

RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Fri, 09/26/03 12:02 PM (permalink)
                                        I don't know - seems like a pretty legitimate topic to me. Is there anyone who hasn't had indigestion?

Anyway, tums always work for me.

J. Winston

• Total Posts: 1
                                          RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Sat, 09/27/03 1:58 AM (permalink)
                                          Yes, the way people have handled this topic is disgraceful. Perhaps it is a "bogus" topic or personality, but then, who are you to judge? Who are you to jump to the conclusion that this person is fake because you cannot comprehend him being real?

Though, if Geoff is as he has described, he should indeed clean up his act. The food should not control you, you should control the food. Try to add a little willpower into your diet, it might help.

Geoff Steinberg

RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Mon, 09/29/03 8:53 PM (permalink)
                                            Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Umm, I'm not sure what people mean by me being "fake". If you mean that I'm making all this up, then I'm not. I understand that veracity is difficult to prove on the internet and I'm not going to try to convince anyone as to who I am.

For what it's worth, all I did here was describe in honesty what was happening. I also thought some of my stories were funny at the same time and I like to laugh at myself because it sure beats feeling sorry for myself. I don't know what else to say - I had no idea that people would be offended by my life and am legitimately quite surprised that reading one thing can allow you to judge someone.

I think that's awful.

G S

Ralph Isbill

• Total Posts: 185
                                              RE: Do you get indigestion - and how do you cure it? Mon, 09/29/03 10:39 PM (permalink)
                                              I have had good luck with papaya tablets. These can be found at GEC health food stores. They work and the taste isn't bad

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                • No New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                • Read Message
                                                • Post New Thread
                                                • Reply to message
                                                • Post New Poll
                                                • Submit Vote
                                                • Post reward post
                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com