Do you know of any eatery that serves hen?

Author
jonjax71
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 438
2009/05/05 00:11:51 (permalink)

Do you know of any eatery that serves hen?

There's a difference between a chicken and a hen, besides the fact that it is a hen that lay eggs and not a chicken.  When I travel my my wife's homeland of Jamaica we go to a small shack on the outskirts of Montego Bay that serves hen, stewed or in  soup because a roasted hen is kinda tough and not very meaty. It has a different flavor, more gamey I guess you can say.  Do you know of any eatery that serves hen?

The same shack- also serves rooster soup or stew on ocasion, that is a pungent soup and although I have not eaten any my wife who has says rooster is tough but very tasty

I am not talking about cornish game hens, I am inquiring about fully grown farm hens that have laid eggs.

25 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10220
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/05 01:35:32 (permalink)
    jonjax71

There's a difference between a chicken and a hen, besides the fact that it is a hen that lay eggs and not a chicken.  When I travel my my wife's homeland of Jamaica we go to a small shack on the outskirts of Montego Bay that serves hen, stewed or in  soup because a roasted hen is kinda tough and not very meaty. It has a different flavor, more gamey I guess you can say.  Do you know of any eatery that serves hen?

The same shack- also serves rooster soup or stew on ocasion, that is a pungent soup and although I have not eaten any my wife who has says rooster is tough but very tasty

I am not talking about cornish game hens, I am inquiring about fully grown farm hens that have laid eggs.

As a child, (1945-50), I remember my GrandMother going out to the Chicken Coop with an axe on Sunday AM and getting a Hen that maybe wasn't producing and the Hen would wind up as the main Sunday Meal. I have no recollection of what it tasted like.
    brittneal
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/05 01:44:57 (permalink)
    One of the most beautiful birds I ever cooked was a stewing hen.  It weighed over 9 lbs and looked like a turkey.  I slow roasted that baby till it was the most beautiful  golden brown I had ever seen on the skin of any bird .  I went to carve it and the blade was turned away by the skin!  Im not talking a cheap knife but my forschner carving knife I have used since the late 70's.   I keep it sharp enough to shave with.  I went and got a cheap old ginsu knife(it cuts thru a brick on TV!).  I could barely saw a couple slices off!    It was unchewable and gamey is the only word I can think of.  It had a barnyard like aftertaste.
    I was so  broken hearted!  I knew that older hens required a stewing but thought I knew enough to beat the laws of culinary physics!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18387
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/05 02:01:57 (permalink)
    jonjax71

There's a difference between a chicken and a hen, besides the fact that it is a hen that lay eggs and not a chicken.   
    about fully grown farm hens that have laid eggs.

Um, a hen, in this context, happens to be an adult female chicken.

caver
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/05 20:37:50 (permalink)
    If you get a yard bird, that is to say a chicken by any name that hasn't been mass processed you will have to cook it differently.  It won't have that extra salt solution injected into it, which means it will dry out easier.

So to slow roast you will either have to baste, or really braise it to keep it moist.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/05 21:06:27 (permalink)
    Foodbme

jonjax71

As a child, (1945-50), I remember my GrandMother going out to the Chicken Coop with an axe on Sunday AM and getting a Hen that maybe wasn't producing and the Hen would wind up as the main Sunday Meal. I have no recollection of what it tasted like.

Foodbme I grew up on a farm and that was part of my job. I kept up with who was laying and when they stopped, and wellllll, that was it for them. They were allowed to miss 4 days in a row or if they only layed once in a week, before they were moved to the area where we kept "dinner chickens". I butchered many a chicken before I was even 12 or 13 years old. I know how WE raised chickens and no one could say we didn't look out for them. We knew that chickens that had room to roam around were not abused... and they laying hens had large cages. Ahhhh, the good old days.

A hen properly stewed with pastry was a meal not to be missed. Grandma would also fry up some cornpone in bacon grease as well as some cabbage or collards. I miss my grandmother Etta Mae and will always love the things she shared with me.... especially her recipes with I know by heart for the most part. Good luck looking for a hen jonjax.

Dennis in Cary
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/06 00:28:19 (permalink)
    Dennis in Cary
    "A hen properly stewed with pastry was a meal not to be missed."
    I'd sure would be interested in that Recipe! Are we talking Chicken Pot Pie Here!!
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/06 00:40:11 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Dennis in Cary
    I'd sure would be interested in that Recipe! Are we talking Chicken Pot Pie Here!!

Actually chicken and pastry is when you stew down a hen and you add pastry strips to the stew near the end. The pastry was a dough made up of all-purpose flour, water, and a little salt. It was rolled out flat on a flour board and then cut into strips. It was placed into the pot at a rolling boil... slowly stirred in and allowed to cook until done, about 10-15 minutes.

What is funny is in my family, chicken and dumplings was nothing like what most people think it is. The dumplings were made from cornmeal, water, and salt. The mixture was formed into small patties in the shape of a hamburger and then dropped into the stew. 

Dennis in Cary
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/06 01:01:32 (permalink)
    DLnWPBrown

Foodbme

Dennis in Cary

Actually chicken and pastry is when you stew down a hen and you add pastry strips to the stew near the end. The pastry was a dough made up of all-purpose flour, water, and a little salt. It was rolled out flat on a flour board and then cut into strips. It was placed into the pot at a rolling boil... slowly stirred in and allowed to cook until done, about 10-15 minutes.

What is funny is in my family, chicken and dumplings was nothing like what most people think it is. The dumplings were made from cornmeal, water, and salt. The mixture was formed into small patties in the shape of a hamburger and then dropped into the stew. 
    Dennis in Cary

Never Stewed a Hen so went Googling and found this recipe. Very descriptive & sounds pretty good:

http://www.kaleberg.com/food/stewinghen.html  

RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 398
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/06 03:42:59 (permalink)
    Here's a link that helps explain the different types.  Not sure if you can get them in the states, but the best for a roasted whole bird is a capon.  

http://www.modestofood.com/resources/readytocook.htm

post edited by RodBangkok - 2009/05/06 03:44:08
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/06 06:34:22 (permalink)
    DLnWPBrown

Foodbme

Dennis in Cary

Dennis in Cary

Dennis,

What you describe as Chicken with Pastry is exactly what I grew up calling Chicken Pot Pie! Although my favorite version was done with Oxtails, I never turned my nose up at Chicken Pot Pie. There were always a couple of onions and a few potato's thrown into the pot, and a good hand full of chopped parsley near the end. I to learned the recipe from my Nan.

Her version is 2 cups AP Flour, 1 cup Bisquick, two eggs with enough milk or cream added to make a cup, a good healthy pinch or two of salt. Mix it altogether until you have a nice soft dough ball. Divide up into two or three balls, I normally let the balls rest under a damp towel for a bit before rolling them out and cutting them into about two by two squares. I always like to pinch a few together so they get nice and chewy!

A stewing hen is an absolute must for Chicken Pot Pie.....

Give me a plate full of Pot Pie and a big dish of my Nan's coleslaw and that's all I need!! I'm from Central Pa Dutch Country, some other folks from Pa, call Chicken Pot Pie "slippery noodles"......

jman
    • Total Posts : 1338
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/06 07:08:17 (permalink)
    DLnWPBrown

Dennis in Cary

I believe that most people would call your "chicken and pastry" chicken and dumplings.  Ive also seen the dumplings made by just pinching off the dough into the chicken pot, but have never seen dumplings made from cornmeal.

My mother-in-law used to make chicken and dumplings using the strips of dough that you describe and everything had a natural light yellow hue from the chicken fat.  Today, if you find a restaurant that serves chicken and dumplings, oftentimes it looks like strips of dough floating in wallpaper paste, and unfortunately, pretty much tastes that way, too.

JayL
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/06 10:31:17 (permalink)
    Chicken and pastry is "fairly" unique to North Carolina...and not even all parts of the state.  Most folks will have a similar dish called "chicken and dumplings" where the dough is much thicker.  The chicken and pastry I grew up with has pastry sheets that are 1/32"-1/16" thick.

C&D is usually a fairly thick concoction (or most versions I've ever seen has been).  Our Chicken and Pastry is usually somewhat thin and a VERY simple recipe (no celery, onions, carrots, or other crap).
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1338
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/06 10:42:15 (permalink)
    JayL

Chicken and pastry is "fairly" unique to North Carolina...and not even all parts of the state.  Most folks will have a similar dish called "chicken and dumplings" where the dough is much thicker.  The chicken and pastry I grew up with has pastry sheets that are 1/32"-1/16" thick.

C&D is usually a fairly thick concoction (or most versions I've ever seen has been).  Our Chicken and Pastry is usually somewhat thin and a VERY simple recipe (no celery, onions, carrots, or other crap).

Hey, thanks for the clarification.
    rouxdog
    • Total Posts : 1421
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/06 11:38:55 (permalink)
    Hen meat, (as well as Rooster) terrific when prepped well, long slow with love and patience. Growing up as a farm boy in Tennessee, I have many fond memories, particularly the chicken and dumplings enjoyed by our family. The time it took to get the wood cooking stove ready,(you know, the style that had the "pie safe" above), as well as the all day preparation, not only nostalgic, also, helped shape the foundation of who I became.

Michael Hoffman. Thank you for defining "hen". The rest of us are no longer clueless.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/06 12:15:47 (permalink)
    rouxdog

Hen meat, (as well as Rooster) terrific when prepped well, long slow with love and patience. Growing up as a farm boy in Tennessee, I have many fond memories, particularly the chicken and dumplings enjoyed by our family. The time it took to get the wood cooking stove ready,(you know, the style that had the "pie safe" above), as well as the all day preparation, not only nostalgic, also, helped shape the foundation of who I became.

Michael Hoffman. Thank you for defining "hen". The rest of us are no longer clueless.

THANX! for the memory flashback to "pie safe"! I had an immediate fond memory. I had completely forgotten about "pie safe's" until you mentioned it. Brought an immediate smile and a nice chuckle.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/06 21:32:02 (permalink)
    JayL

JayL I knew I could count on you to verify what I was talking about. As you mentioned, there are no veggies in chicken & pastry. The dough is thin just like you mentioned. *&#$, I need some now. 

Dennis in Cary
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18387
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/06 21:47:49 (permalink)
    rouxdog

Oh, you're quite welcome. I always like to help. As someone who as a little boy had to lug 100 pound sacks of feed around and feed the damned chickens, clean up their crap, gather their eggs and generally raise the critters on my grandfather's farm it always pleases me to discuss chickens.

My interaction with those 400-500 birds each day was only helped by being the one to fetch a couple of hens each week for my grandmother to dispatch for dinner.

brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/06 23:24:17 (permalink)
    A bit off topic but still a chicken...
    I happened to see an articale on silkies in wiki the other day.  Cute funny looking birds with tufts of feathers on its crown.  It looked like Barrettas bird on acid.  I doubt any American would be tempted to eat one tho.  Under the snow white tufts of feathers is a skin as black as coal.  To top it off even the flesh and bones are black!  The chineses prize them for both flavor and medicinal qualities.  It showed a picture of the cut up pieces both raw and cooked.  I dont think many would find it appetizing!
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/06 23:47:22 (permalink)
    brittneal

A bit off topic but still a chicken...
    I happened to see an articale on silkies in wiki the other day.  Cute funny looking birds with tufts of feathers on its crown.  It looked like Barrettas bird on acid.  I doubt any American would be tempted to eat one tho.  Under the snow white tufts of feathers is a skin as black as coal.  To top it off even the flesh and bones are black!  The chineses prize them for both flavor and medicinal qualities.  It showed a picture of the cut up pieces both raw and cooked.  I dont think many would find it appetizing!

Actually on the original Iron Chef that was in Japan, there was an episode where the surprise item were black chickens. They praised the flavor... but that WAS a Japanese cooking show.

Dennis in Cary 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/07 00:59:49 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

rouxdog

My interaction with those 400-500 birds each day was only helped by being the one to fetch a couple of hens each week for my grandmother to dispatch for dinner.

Nothin' says lovin' like Chickens in the Oven!

DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/09 17:06:31 (permalink)
    I stewed a hen the other day( Thursday ) and made chicken salad out of it as well as a big pot of chicken rice soup..... used plenty of black pepper. 

Dennis in Cary
    cy_dugas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/09 18:15:48 (permalink)
    I really wish someone around my area would serve hen!!!

My grandmother used to stew a hen to serve with rice and gravy.  Black iron pot, well browned, with plenty of trinity.  She also threw in a touch of roux to thicken.  My favorite parts were the neck and back. 

cy
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/09 23:38:01 (permalink)
    cy_dugas

I really wish someone around my area would serve hen!!!

My grandmother used to stew a hen to serve with rice and gravy.  Black iron pot, well browned, with plenty of trinity.  She also threw in a touch of roux to thicken.  My favorite parts were the neck and back. 

cy

This boy knows how to eat!!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/10 01:36:33 (permalink)
    RodBangkok

Here's a link that helps explain the different types.  Not sure if you can get them in the states, but the best for a roasted whole bird is a capon.  

I don't know about now. But as a kid growing up in Brooklyn, NY, in the forties, we always had capons.
    My mother went to the kosher poultry store where the birds were "dispatched" and plucked to order. Not on a farm but, those were the "good old days". 
    post edited by Twinwillow - 2009/05/10 01:38:55
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Do you know of any eatery that serves hen? 2009/05/10 01:49:40 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

RodBangkok

I don't know about now. But as a kid growing up in Brooklyn, NY, in the forties, we always had capons.
    My mother went to the kosher poultry store where the birds were "dispatched" and plucked to order. Not on a farm but, those were the "good old days".

Here's to all you potential "Chicken Pluckers' out there!! http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1286390
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1