Do you know what Li Hing Mui is?

Author
boy143
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2007/08/26 23:42:43 (permalink)

Do you know what Li Hing Mui is?

LI HING MUI! Has anyone tried this before?

My favorite all time candy is Li Hing Mui. Most people here in Minnesota does not know what it is because it's like a candy unique to Hawaii. When I moved here I could not find it anywhere at all, like I said most people didn't even know what I was talking about. Now I buy it online at snackshawaii.com. Their the cheapest site I found with cheap shipping. You'll either love it or hate it cause it is a aquired taste, but being raised in Hawaii I love this stuff. I'm trying to find Li Hing Mui margaritas too, but can't find it anywhere, but I know they make it cause they serve it in Hawaii clubs.

3 Replies Related Threads

cecif
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: Do you know what Li Hing Mui is? 2007/08/27 06:41:24 (permalink)
    I have spent a LOT of time in Hawaii since I was a kid (my grandmother was born there - before it was a state!)... but oddly I have never heard of this! Interesting. Will look for it next time.

p.s. Welcome to RF! Your profile says Cypress, CA but this post says Minnesota?! So where do you live?
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Do you know what Li Hing Mui is? 2007/08/27 10:42:53 (permalink)
    I think this is called champoy/kiamoy in the Philippines -- dried plums, either sweet or salty, in different colors? Can't say that I ever acquired the taste.

I'd expect you'd be able to find it locally in Asian markets, perhaps under a different name.
    boy143
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Do you know what Li Hing Mui is? 2007/08/28 02:07:04 (permalink)
    Grew up in Hawaii, moved to Cali two months ago, but am visiting my aunty in Minnesota right now, I think we're in Minneapolis but am not sure. Mainland is so big compared to Hawaii. It's odd cause we're Filipino and have never heard of the term champoy/kiamoy. My grandmother, 1st generation Filipino, who moved to Hawaii never really mentioned having this candy in the Philipines. I grew up in Hawaii so I have to have this stuff in the house.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1