Do you know who you just hired??

Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2033
2006/02/25 09:10:16 (permalink)

Do you know who you just hired??

A few months ago a local restaurant skipped the usual checks on a new employee. The new person was hard working, cheerful, and pleasant to the customers and staff alike. After three weeks though, she stopped coming to work.

A few days later, the fraudulent credit card charges started to come to light. They think a portable card reader was used. The Secret Service got involved when the number got over $100k. The restaurant can't help much because they don't even have a real name for the "employee".

28 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/02/25 09:36:21 (permalink)

I am curious as to what is the liability of the business when this happens? Must the business make good on the fraud? Or is it the individual employee who must cover their own 'rip-off' thru the legal system.

A few years back an employee of a local convenience store was caught 'double swiping' credit cards and pocketing the second swipe as cash to her. She had run about $2000 in fraud in a week. I was one of the many $20 dollar victims. I went to the owner who said I needed to add my name to a list of victims at the local police department. I never did see my money as the police said that if we pushed the business owner for restitution they wouldn't have a case against the employee . They did prosecute the person, but I lost track of the results.

I'm not looking for a long legal argument here, just one of three choices as the way things ARE... 1. Eat the loss and learn a lesson about dishonest business's, 2. Get the owner to pay and let him worry about how to deal with the employee, or 3. Go to the Police and file a report.
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/02/25 22:44:57 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Well I do not mind saying that my full time profession is a Police Officer. Where I work I have to eat at alot of resturants. Sometimes I go to the kitchen area to say howdy-do's to the owners etc. Many times when I go back there I will see some of the worse types working there. Some of these people you would definatley not let in to your house. You cannot be careful enough with background checks on employees.
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/02/26 07:17:20 (permalink)
    i agree, i would have reversed my charge immediately. after all, its the owner's fault for hiring a bad seed.
    i recntly had someone (through the 'puter) put a charge on my card. dont know how they got my info. i use tracker blockers, but somehow they stole my info. well, the card co. gladly rebuked the charge.
    the double swipe info should have been apparent by the batch info done each night at the store. the book keeper should have caught this the very first first night.
    ohman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 262
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/02/27 08:48:58 (permalink)
    My wife and I went to Gloucester to go whale watching and if you have never done this you really should. Anyway after that we went to a little place to eat and the waitress took my card and she must of had one of those card swipers too because in the next few weeks we had all kinds of charges on our account. It didnt cost me anything but my card nevers leaves my sight now.
    stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 359
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/02/27 16:12:55 (permalink)
    Has anyone had this happen ?

I eat out a lot and leave a good tip but twice in the last few years the service was so bad I put zero under tip on the credit card slip.

The last time time I felt bad the for non-english speaking busboy because he was the only one doing his job so I slipped him a few bucks.

When I got the bills the two I stiffed had added 20 percent.
    They were both highend expensive places so it was noticeable.

Sure I got it fixed but I have better things to do.

Now I carry enough cash to cover so there won't be a third strike.

Of course murphy's law says I won't get that bad of service again.

I know they get taxed like 8 percent whether you leave a tip or not
    which not fair at all but I am talking about service so bad every one you come in contact with makes it clear they don't want to be there and are going to ruin your party's evening.
    stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 359
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/02/27 16:24:29 (permalink)
    Do you know who you just hired ?

Reminds me of "America's Most Wanted" a couple years ago when they were looking for a murderer in Jacksonville Fl
    Host John Walsh was having dinner with a Jax policewoman and the next day they caught the guy and guess who had cooked John's steak.....yep it's true
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/02/27 16:41:02 (permalink)
    Al, I would go the police and court route. This person will end up serving time, then be ordered to parole or probation. During this supervised time, they'll be required to pay restitution. My 1.5 cents on how to get your money back.
    Secondly, even if an employer does do a background check, good apples go bad. This is true in all jobs, notably the higher profile ones like where teachers, counselers and cops go bad that you see in the news all the time.
    Going after the business owner may give one peace of mind, but they already have the bad publicity ruining their livelyhood, and doubt they'd want the added expense of something that was beyond their control.
    -Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/02/27 17:25:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by myway

Hi,
    Well I do not mind saying that my full time profession is a Police Officer. Where I work I have to eat at alot of resturants. Sometimes I go to the kitchen area to say howdy-do's to the owners etc. Many times when I go back there I will see some of the worse types working there. Some of these people you would definatley not let in to your house. You cannot be careful enough with background checks on employees.

Some of the worst types? What exactly do you mean by this? If you mean that they are criminals, how can you tell just by looking at them? The tattoos? The earrings? Yes, the "line" often looks a bit unsavory, but in my experience they're not any more likely to go commit a crime than anyone else in the restaurant.

The restaurant industry attracts a lot of ex-cons, drug addicts et al. But just as many of them are in the FOH as the HOH. As well, I'm not sure how you can tell a criminal just by looking at them - unless you can see that they're actually on drugs that moment.

I apologize for my rant, but as the wife of a chef (the most clean cut guy you could imagine) whose sous chef looks like one of those unsavories, complete with tattoo around his neck, but is in fact a teddy bear, I think the stereotyping is unfortunate.
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/02/27 17:36:16 (permalink)
    I hired a kid the other day that had comitted (rather got caught for) his first offense and is due to plea to probation next week. As a retired cop I'd rather he be on probation so he can pee in the cup every couple of weeks, then I'll know he's keeping his act together. Damn good worker so far.
    nyczoo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/02/28 10:13:37 (permalink)
    A different angle about who you've hired.

Someone told me recently that if your office is broken into and the thieves take your employee records that the liability of the identity theft lies on your office. Is there any truth to this?
    dinerminer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/02/28 11:59:41 (permalink)
    Ditto to Tricky, you can't always judge a book by it's cover.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/02/28 13:36:50 (permalink)
    Tmiles I noticed on the news that it was a Chinese restaraunt that this took place at. I don't know if you have ever been to China town in the morning but every street corner is loaded with people waiting for vans to take them to work where ever that may be. They truck alot of these people to N.H. and southern Maine, R.I. the earlier the pick up the farther away they have to go. There are certain corners that it's like a hireing hall just for fill in work for the day or whatever. I'm sure there is no back ground checks on these people. Some of these people probably snuck in the country in a container or something, Just looking for a piece of the American dream. It's unfortunate that one individual had to bring the spotlight on these people. Chow Jim
    lunasatic
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 283
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/02/28 13:55:03 (permalink)
    Here's an idea: If you have proof (credit card slips, etc) of how much the employee stole, just 1099 him/her for the total amount you can prove to the IRS. No cops, no bad publicity, and they ALWAYS get their man/woman!
    prisonchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 296
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/02/28 19:03:22 (permalink)
    i have followed this thread with interest but up to now i have kept my mouth shut. while credit card fraud is a bad problem i would be remiss if i did not point out a problem that would be even more devastating to an employeer. if you hire a person with a history of violence you are leaving yourselves wide open to a lawsuit from an employee they attack. when i made a mid-life switch from running an engineering department for a fortune 500 company to go going to culinary on my 2nd job my employeer hired a person with a rather extensive arrest record for violence. since i was sous chef it was my duty to ensure that all standards were met. said person did not like the duties assigned and voiced this rather forcefully. upon being advised that the duties stayed as stated he indicated that my ass was going to be kicked. i politely advised said person that the duties remained the same and as a veteran i was not only not afraid but would in fact go "rice paddy" if that was the way it had to be and further advised him that since i had seen enough death and destruction i really didn't want to go that way. upon saying that i received his best shot which put me on the floor with him over me laughing. i got up,rearranged my soiled chefs jacket and proceded to go rice paddy to the point he was taken out on a gurney. my employeer advised me that i was fired since i defended myself. i went to our family attorney and explained the situation. he licked his lips in glee and did some preliminary work (to the tune of $500) and advised me that i could very soon own a place of my own and then some. seems no background had been run one this person. upshot was he sent a letter and advised the owner he had failed to provide a safe workplace as required under federal law and we were more than ready to go to civil court on this plus punitive damages. got my job back plus 5 times the lawyer's fee and a no layoff clause for 3 years.
    so it is incumbent upon the employeer to provide the search!!!! or what the heck if you want to lose your place that's your affair.
    by the way never try to cheat someone out of their overtime pay (3,104.25 hours is what i was tried to be cheated out of) but that's another story.
    in closing you will find that the "old days" are over as there are too many people going into the culinary field who are no longer the dumb, the dolts and the slow and infact know how labor laws work.
    jack
    ps. never forget federal law takes precendent over any state law
    beachbons
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/03/01 01:38:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    ps. never forget federal law takes precendent over any state law

Actually, the more stringent law takes precedence, ie; state minimum wage of $6.50 trumps federal wage of $5.15.

bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/03/01 07:04:54 (permalink)
    heck of a story, jack. here is another angle..
    i had a pizza/sub shop for years, down in fl. rough little town.
    three languages were needed to communicate with customers. spanish, spanglish, and creole.
    anyway, i got broke into a few times, really out a hurting on me.
    once, it was three little boys under 16 yrs old. they tossed the place like a salad. had a good old time. well, they were caught, sentenced to thirty days juvi, probation for a couple, years, and ordered top pay back the thousands i had lossed in damages.
    to this day, i never got one penny!

another time, it was an inside job. my manager, whom i paid well, and some of his buddies, decided to take the weekend drop from the safe, and made it look like a bread in. problem is they forgot about the alarm. they ramsacked the place, broke open the wall and removed the safe. when they left, the set the alarm like normal when leaving. well, the code is issued to one person so the police knew who did it. but still they supposedly didnt have enough evidence?
    butt heads got away with thousands, and the cops knew it was them and so did i, but the never saw a day in court.
    i found out later(purly by accident) that the manager was fired from a previous place he worked for doing the same thing!
    no way to have known in advance. we should have an independant reporting sight to list such employees.....
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/03/01 07:47:31 (permalink)
    Prisonchef,
    You just climbed up my ladder of respect about ten rungs. While using exactly the situation you were placed in as one of the reasons to get out of a brick and mortar place I also agrree that employees MUST be protected from the nut cases roaming our streets. Bus boys, dish washers and flunkies have always been sort of ignored as to background checks...no longer.

I run extensive backgrounds on extra help for a catering thing. W/ the cost of the check their first gig is basically a wash for me but the pay back comes when you find a jewel. This one young lady made some mistakes in her early years but has cleand up her act. We actually get requests from customers for her now.
    prisonchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 296
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/03/01 15:58:40 (permalink)
    beachbons;
    i stand corrected on the wage item. i guess the point i was trying to make is even though florida is a "hire at whim" state federal guidlines are the more stringent when it comes to dismissal..
    bassrocker;
    i guess the situation you went thru is exactly why peggy and i love your place. it is something that she and i could operate and not have to hire any outside help. plus after working every weekend in an 8 x 18 foot bbq rig the mere fact that there is room to roam would be heaven guess we better sell a lot of q at the market. we are plowing every penny back into the business because as you know we just won't take out a loan but man i sure do love your place!!
    v960;
    man you are too kind!!!! i am embarasssed
    and to anyone else who reads this thread i guess the part that upset me the most was when i got out of the service in 1972 i made a promise to myself that i had seen enough bad stuff and would walk away from any fight and this person made me break that promise to myself that i had successfully followed for over 20 years up to that point.
    jack
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/03/01 18:20:33 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Well Tricky what I meant was that when I go back in the kitchens of alot of the returants I see individuals who I know are under house arrest, or work-release type situations. There is nothing like getting your food served to you from a waitress who has her home detention ankle bracelet on W/ a satelite uplink box strapped around her waist. Wether they are tattooed or whatever typically does not mean too much to me. The one visual that makes me leave a resturant everytime is the proverbial nose ring, thats when I call it quits and head somewhere else.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/03/01 19:28:19 (permalink)
    Prisoncheef/jack,
    I always back away from any fight that I can. Some jerks force the situation.

My wife still gives me grief for making three gang bangers drop their drawers in mid town Charlotte at gun point. A .45 Colt Auto 1911A1 is a dreadful weapon to face when in the hands of someone who knows what to do w/ it. I had two small children, a wife (liberal to the end) to defend and three gang bangers...they were toast if they flinched. Theey left and we did also
    fastfood
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/03/14 12:21:25 (permalink)
    quote:

Hi,

What kind of obsurb comments are you making? You can't tell somebody is a criminal by looking at them. Are you retarded or something son?
    rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/03/14 13:04:29 (permalink)
    Credit card fraud is one thing. Rape and murder is another. A young female graduate student died a horrible death 2 weeks ago due to a combination of her bad judgement (being alone in a NYC bar at 4 am) and that bar's illegal hiring of a bouncer with a history of violent crime.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/12/nyregion/12wire-guillen.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
    Squidly
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/03/14 13:13:47 (permalink)
    fastfood,

I would suggest that myway, as a police officer, probably has some insight into who is likely a criminal and who is not. I know some of the police here in my town. They know "who's who of the criminal element" in town. What they drive, where they work, where they live, where they hang out, who they hang out with, what tendencies they have, etc. Comes with the territory.
    fastfood
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/03/14 23:33:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Squidly

fastfood,

I would suggest that myway, as a police officer, probably has some insight into who is likely a criminal and who is not. I know some of the police here in my town. They know "who's who of the criminal element" in town. What they drive, where they work, where they live, where they hang out, who they hang out with, what tendencies they have, etc. Comes with the territory.

What someone drives,where they live,who they hang out still does not mean they are a criminal. I know what you are getting at and just would like to say thats a messed up way of thinking I truly hope you get a good dose of reality.
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/03/15 07:14:49 (permalink)
    i'm thinking its more like 'myway' walks into a kitchen and sees someone he arrested the week before for 'b and e', or battery, or drunk and disorderly, or maybe even crimes against children. i am sure police see these poeple all the time, and remember who was arrested, ans what they got away with. rather that, than to assume 'myway' was stereotyping. if you thought 'myway was stereotyping, you just bacame guilty of it yourself...hmmm
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/03/15 07:54:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bassrocker4u2

i'm thinking its more like 'myway' walks into a kitchen and sees someone he arrested the week before for 'b and e', or battery, or drunk and disorderly, or maybe even crimes against children. i am sure police see these poeple all the time, and remember who was arrested, ans what they got away with. rather that, than to assume 'myway' was stereotyping. if you thought 'myway was stereotyping, you just bacame guilty of it yourself...hmmm

Exactly. If fastfood had gone back to myway's post of 3/1/06 he would have seen that.

John
    Squidly
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/03/15 09:34:22 (permalink)
    fastfood

It is apparent that you are not getting the point. Bassrocker4u2's and John A's postings hit the nail on the head.
    -Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Do you know who you just hired?? 2006/03/15 11:22:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bassrocker4u2

rather that, than to assume 'myway' was stereotyping. if you thought 'myway was stereotyping, you just bacame guilty of it yourself...hmmm

Actually, based on his original post, I'm not sure how you could think someone was stereotyping. (Emphasis added)

quote:

Many times when I go back there I will see some of the worse types working there. Some of these people you would definatley not let in to your house. You cannot be careful enough with background checks on employees.

He clarified in a later post, explaining that it was specific individuals who he recognized and specific equipment that demonstrated that a particular person was a criminal.

His original post just described them as "the worse (sic) types".
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1