Do you live in a efficiency hotel?

Author
Chef Unsure
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2011/10/08 19:35:04 (permalink)

Do you live in a efficiency hotel?

I travel all the time and currently live in what is called an efficiency hotel.

This room has a micro wave oven, a two burner stove, toaster, a full size fridge, and an outside charcoal grill.
I typically bring with me on extended stay trips, two cast iron skillets, an electric skillet, food processor, and misc. utensils to make life a little more liveable.
I like to cook pasta with my own sauce, grill chicken, beef, and pork dishes. These dishes are less expensive than going out for dinner or ordering take out.
Do you live like me? If so what do you like to cook based on the above parameters?
post edited by Chef Unsure - 2011/10/08 19:37:02

6 Replies Related Threads

DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Do you live in a efficiency hotel? 2011/10/08 21:04:09 (permalink)
    In our case it was called a garage apartment minus the outside charcoal grill and full size fridge in a space that was smaller then most basic hotel rooms. I raised 2 daughters and 2 cats in that cozy cracker box for 16 years. At first we had one of those two burners/sink/tiny fridge combos with a microwave and toaster oven on a shelf overhead until my dad got us a used, tiny 20" range. There's just about nothing that you can't cook with those limitations even though doing any baking in a toaster oven can be a challenge. Even after we got the stove, it was impractical to use it during the summer months unless we broiled something or used it to hold food as we cooked. During the winter months, whole turkeys, Pizza, Pork Shoulders, whole hams and lots of cookies especially on cold days. The extra heat was welcome since we had only one space heater.  We later bought a panasonic gemini microwave/convection oven that was able to do small roasts,casseroles,and a whole chicken with ease. On the stove top, the kids liked a skillet dinner we used to do with spaghetti sauce,ricotta cheese,small shells,and hamburger among other things like chicken and rice. Sometimes we used an electric skillet. We did a lot of crocking in a small rival slow cooker, and the secret weapon of cooking in tiny spaces while keeping the heat down was the pressure cooker with a built in heating element in the base. Very versatile utensil that can double as a deep fryer or electric cook pot/steamer with a regular lid. I used to get a lot of ideas and great recipes from RV and marine cookbooks scaled to small portion cooking which probably is your biggest challenge. cooking for one in small spaces. 

Edit:
    Just an afterthought. You might want to take it easy with the frying pans when searing or frying anything in a tight space w/o an exhaust hood if you want to keep good relations with housekeeping and the management. You're going to have an oily film on everything in no time if you're not careful.
    post edited by DawnT - 2011/10/08 21:18:08
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2087
    Re:Do you live in a efficiency hotel? 2011/10/08 21:41:03 (permalink)
    9 months in a motel room that has small frig & microwave.  I used a large electric frying pan (12x16) on top of the microwave.  I could easily do breakfast; grits, eggs, sausage/bacon, & toast.   And, allot can be prepared for dinner with a little planning.
    Chef Unsure
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Do you live in a efficiency hotel? 2011/10/08 22:00:14 (permalink)
    Dawn,
    Thanks for your input.
     WOW and I thought that I had it bad in this small room. Compared to what you had to deal with I'm living in the lap of luxury.
    The one thing that I miss in this situation is baking, roasting, broiling anything that has to do with an oven.
    I have disconnected the smoke alarm (I do this at most all of the hotels that I live in). and most of the time I share what I cook with the other guests and staff wherever I am staying.
    post edited by Chef Unsure - 2011/10/08 22:01:27
    KurtSara
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re:Do you live in a efficiency hotel? 2011/10/09 08:17:49 (permalink)
    Chef Unsure

Dawn,
    Thanks for your input.
    WOW and I thought that I had it bad in this small room. Compared to what you had to deal with I'm living in the lap of luxury.
    The one thing that I miss in this situation is baking, roasting, broiling anything that has to do with an oven.
    I have disconnected the smoke alarm (I do this at most all of the hotels that I live in). and most of the time I share what I cook with the other guests and staff wherever I am staying.

Don't become a statistic by doing that
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4058
    Re:Do you live in a efficiency hotel? 2011/10/09 17:27:28 (permalink)
    I'd buy one of these:
    http://www.cuisinart.com/products/grills/gr-4n.html

It's basically a heavy duty Forman Grill with more variable heat control and easier clean-up.

Coat your beef with Char-Crust Original Hickory and you'll have a "steak-house" quality meal.

Sam's & Costco has them for $59.-
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Do you live in a efficiency hotel? 2011/10/09 18:01:18 (permalink)
    That's basically a glorified sandwich press with interchangable contact plate. Outside of using it as a griddle or doing an occasional steak or burger, what sense would it make as travel cookware? An electric skillet would make much more sense. So would a small, 1.5 liter crock pot, or a 4Q pressure cooker. All these are multifunctional utensils that can be used to do other things given the room resources Chef Unsure mentions.  
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1