Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Do you use canned meat?

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 113
bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
Re:Do you use canned meat? Mon, 10/25/10 12:52 PM (permalink)
I have never been a fan of most canned meats (except fish). However, I used to use canned chicken and turkey, which was not bad when used in salad or with mixes. But then I did the math, and figured out that I can microwave a frozen chicken breast in a matter of minutes, and it's a lot less expensive. These days, I go the next step; I buy fresh boneless chicken breasts at $1.99/pound, cut them into pieces, put them in my steamer, and freeze them in 6 ounce (8 ounces before cooking) packets for reuse. Sometimes, after 9, I can buy a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket for $2; I cut that up and put that into packets in the freezer, as well.

Bart

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
    Re:Do you use canned meat? Mon, 10/25/10 1:35 PM (permalink)
    I miss the Penrose sausage. When I contacted Conagra, they told me the best place to find the individual packages is convenience stores. I have found them at one service station near here, but that is really a bummer.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4462
      Re:Do you use canned meat? Mon, 10/25/10 3:16 PM (permalink)
      MellowRoast

ChrisOC: SPAM Singles ROCK!  For some reason, I never liked it in the can.

Must.......resist.......posting......(in my best James T. Kirk voice)  

cjucoder

• Total Posts: 162
        Re:Do you use canned meat? Mon, 10/25/10 5:31 PM (permalink)
        To answer your question - only canned tuna. Love that stuff.

My mom loved Spam. She would slice it, fry it in butter with pineapple rings like a previous poster mentioned. I would eat it to be nice, but I've never bought Spam myself.

Never tried Vienna sausages. If someone offers some to me I will try it but it does not look appealing enough to me to buy it.

cjucoder

• Total Posts: 162
          Re:Do you use canned meat? Mon, 10/25/10 5:40 PM (permalink)
          bartl

I have never been a fan of most canned meats (except fish). However, I used to use canned chicken and turkey, which was not bad when used in salad or with mixes. But then I did the math, and figured out that I can microwave a frozen chicken breast in a matter of minutes, and it's a lot less expensive. These days, I go the next step; I buy fresh boneless chicken breasts at $1.99/pound, cut them into pieces, put them in my steamer, and freeze them in 6 ounce (8 ounces before cooking) packets for reuse. Sometimes, after 9, I can buy a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket for $2; I cut that up and put that into packets in the freezer, as well.

Bart

I hate microwaving chicken (or any meat for that matter), but I completely agree about cooking extra or getting a rotisserie bird and freezing! I love my Foodsaver vacuum packer dealie. I always have leftover meals or meat in the freezer so I don't have to resort to things like canned meat. (We need an emoticon featuring patting yourself on the back!)

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
            Re:Do you use canned meat? Mon, 10/25/10 5:44 PM (permalink)
            When our Winco(cub foods) opened 10 years ago, they couldn't ever get their chicken volume down. There were always $2.50 Chickens or 8 piece paks. Alas, they have fine tuned things now 
            to where I almost never see anything marked down at the end of the day.

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
              Re:Do you use canned meat? Mon, 10/25/10 6:13 PM (permalink)
              I had never tasted Spam until my brother and I visited the Spam Museum in Austin, MN a couple of years ago.  There was a docent there circulating with the various Spam products on a tray for tasting.

http://www.spam.com/games/Museum/default.aspx

I couldn't bring myself to try the pork Spam products, but the "oven roast" turkey Spam wasn't bad.

The museum itself is delightful.

analei

• Total Posts: 533
                Re:Do you use canned meat? Thu, 10/28/10 3:24 PM (permalink)
                leethebard

No...how is it prepared...been in a lot of Italian places..never saw it...my Italian grandparents and parents never served it...Imported? domestic?

Well, it was in the small Italian grocery stores. It is imported from Switzerland.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
                  Re:Do you use canned meat? Thu, 10/28/10 3:32 PM (permalink)
                  Thanks for the info.Analei. I'll check it out!!

analei

Re:Do you use canned meat? Thu, 10/28/10 3:50 PM (permalink)
                    you are welcome..(might i add a little personal view on it..it corned beef and has jellied bits in it....i used to thin it was gross as kid..not so much now). 

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                      Re:Do you use canned meat? Thu, 10/28/10 4:02 PM (permalink)
                      We have a hole thread about Smoked Oysters here somewhere. I think I started it? Update, smoked oyster on a saltine, onion dip (green or french), and a green pimento olive. Mmmm... Same also good w/ a pickled nacho sliced jalapeno. Oh, and you can sub sour cream for the dip. I have just one Granddaughter who comes over and we fill up on this stuff. Other Granddaughters won't even look at this stuff. *&^$#@
                      Joe
                      <message edited by PapaJoe8 on Thu, 10/28/10 7:34 PM>

analei

Re:Do you use canned meat? Thu, 10/28/10 4:05 PM (permalink)
                        PapaJoe...smiles..you are dating yourself with the smoked oyster canape. Just a question..what is green onion dip?  

sudie

• Total Posts: 228
                          Re:Do you use canned meat? Thu, 10/28/10 5:44 PM (permalink)
                          If you have a gmail mailbox, the spam section has spam recipes at the top.

When my picky eater was small and only ate about 6 things, he loved both hotdogs and Vienna sausages.  I bought the small cans for him, but made him eat the whole thing or throw the remainder out, for the surrounding juice turned to gelatinous yuck in the refrigerator.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
                            Re:Do you use canned meat? Thu, 10/28/10 7:08 PM (permalink)
                            sudie

When my picky eater was small and only ate about 6 things, he loved both hotdogs and Vienna sausages.  I bought the small cans for him, but made him eat the whole thing or throw the remainder out, for the surrounding juice turned to gelatinous yuck in the refrigerator.

What you do with Vienna sausage, you see, is drain the liquid (the stuff that becomes gelatinous when cold) when you open the can and remove all the cute little sausages. Then, if you have any of them left over you can wrap them up or put them in a container for refrigerating.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                              Re:Do you use canned meat? Thu, 10/28/10 7:24 PM (permalink)
                              Michael Hoffman

sudie

What you do with Vienna sausage, you see, is drain the liquid (the stuff that becomes gelatinous when cold) when you open the can and remove all the cute little sausages. Then, if you have any of them left over you can wrap them up or put them in a container for refrigerating.

Here's my method. If you know you're going to be eating Vienna Sausages, open the can, run cold water into the can until the "Goop" is removed. Fill the can with water, put it in the fridge to cool. Remove and drain water. Turn can upside down and tap on a plate or your hand to remove from can and enjoy!
                              <message edited by Foodbme on Thu, 10/28/10 7:26 PM>

Michael Hoffman

Re:Do you use canned meat? Thu, 10/28/10 7:36 PM (permalink)
                                At home I dump the Vienna sausages into a small bowl, spread 'em out and sprinkle salt and freshly ground black pepper on 'em. I'll then spoon some grainy mustard on the side of the dish for dipping, and stick seven Saltines in there for eating -- one cracker after each mustard-coated Vienna sausage.

On the boat while fishing I just fish 'em out of the can with my worm-coated fingers and eat 'em with Saltines.

One thing I've learned over the years is that worms is good, and good eating -- and sandworms is tastiest.

PapaJoe8

Re:Do you use canned meat? Thu, 10/28/10 7:45 PM (permalink)
                                  Analei, shoot... you mean I didn' invent the smoked oysters w/ sour cream deal? What about the onion dip and jalapenos maybe? Green Onion Dip, real popular down this way. Almost like French Onion but a somewhat diferent flavor.

Sudie, you coulda just rised them in warm water.

But hey yall, I love that juice that comes w/ those Viennas. Especially the jelly like parts!

What about those canned boiled oysters? I use those for all kindsa stuff. A poor man's Oyster Rockefellar for one. The juice w/ sour cream makes a good Oyster Dip.
                                  Joe
                                  <message edited by PapaJoe8 on Thu, 10/28/10 7:59 PM>

offlady

• Total Posts: 343
                                    Re:Do you use canned meat? Wed, 11/10/10 1:25 AM (permalink)
                                    I grew up in Hawaii eating canned meat in a post-WW2 era that survived and learned to love the canned rations.

Today Hawaii alone consumes more SPAM than all of the 49 other states combined.  Thanks to Shane Victorino, the Phillies Flyin' Hawaiian, he's introduced the Hawaiian staple SPAM Musubi (spam and rice wrapped in nori) to Philadelphia.  

The locals have their favorite ways to eat SPAM.   Besides SPAM musubi, it's fried with cabbage served over rice, in ramen, in fried rice, just plain fried until crisp on the edges.  If you visit, you won't find it on most restaurant menus except the very local (hole-in-the-wall type) diners, but you will find the musubi at most 7-11's and other convenience marts and gas stations.   It's at every potluck, soccer games, school lunchboxes, parties, and other get togethers.  You can find it at the snack shop in the airports.  

There are several cookbooks published dedicated to only SPAM recipes.  

We eat vienna sausage fried with eggs, plain with rice on the side, or cooked in teriyaki sauce.  They are generally sold in bulk in 18-can boxes.

Canned corned beef is cooked with cabbage served with rice, mashed with mayo as sandwich filling, cooked in the pan with teriyaki sauce with round onions, also served with rice. Probably the most favorite is corned beef patties  (mixed with egg, chopped onion, mashed potato) and fried, served with ketchup.  It's gotten expensive so it's not eaten as frequently as before.   My mom would slice it right out of the can and serve it with mayo on the side.  Yikes!  That one I could not get used to.   

I try not to eat too much because of the sodium nitrites but sometimes I just gotta have it!
                                    <message edited by offlady on Wed, 11/10/10 1:32 AM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                                      Re:Do you use canned meat? Wed, 11/10/10 1:51 AM (permalink)
                                      Offlady,
                                      "Corned Beef Hash mashed with mayo as sandwich filling"---Now that sounds like something I'd try!
                                      Sounds similiar to a potted meat, pickle & mayo spread my moma used to make. She also used Deviled Ham like that.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                                        Re:Do you use canned meat? Wed, 11/10/10 5:53 AM (permalink)
                                         I can make a very respectable hash using canned corned beef as a base.
                                        Though not canned, I use Carl Buddig sliced beef to make 'chipped' beef'.

mark

<message edited by doggydaddy on Wed, 11/10/10 5:57 AM>

Sundancer7

Re:Do you use canned meat? Wed, 11/10/10 6:32 AM (permalink)
                                          Canned meat to me is more than what you buy at the grocery store.  My grandmother and great grand mother canned many different kinds of pork to last them till the next season.  They served it to me when I was very young and I cannot recall the taste but I must have enjoyed it because I ate it.  As I recall although although not clearly, it was canned sausage, pork chops and other kinds of pork.  They salted the hams and hung them in what they called the smoke house.

Paul E. Smith
                                          Knoxville, TN

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1928
                                            Re:Do you use canned meat? Wed, 11/10/10 9:20 AM (permalink)
                                            "Canned corned beef... mashed with mayo as sandwich filling" sounds great to me, too.  I'll give it a shot.  In fact, I've never tried canned corned beef, but a friend of mine swears by it.  So it's now on my grocery list.

ALLGOOD

• Total Posts: 167
                                              Re:Do you use canned meat? Wed, 11/10/10 11:59 AM (permalink)
                                              Mmmm...vienna sausages...
                                              When I was a child, that was the ONLY treat I wanted at the grocery store. 
                                              P.S.- I ate the gelatinous mess on saltine crackers after I chowed down on the sausages.

bdtn

• Total Posts: 98
                                                Re:Do you use canned meat? Wed, 11/10/10 1:17 PM (permalink)
                                                when i was a kd we would get chicken in a can it was a whole chicken bones andall in a can.
                                                i think it was kosher but havent see any in years.also used to get smoked pork hocks in #10 cans from sysco they were pretty good
                                                whole bone in hocks  in juice.
                                                at the orental markets i get squid in ink,roasted eel/fried sardines in curry 3-4 kinds.baby octopus in chli sauce,5-6 differnt kinds of snails,and one time worm larve but just was not able to try it.

MellowRoast

Re:Do you use canned meat? Wed, 11/10/10 1:27 PM (permalink)
                                                  Sweet Sue Kitchens had the canned whole chicken, and I could be wrong, but I think it's still in limited distribution.

I must be buying the wrong Vienna sausages.  I haven't run into any gelatinous substance at all, just chicken stock packing liquid.
                                                  <message edited by MellowRoast on Wed, 11/10/10 1:28 PM>

Michael Hoffman

Re:Do you use canned meat? Wed, 11/10/10 1:45 PM (permalink)
                                                    MellowRoast

I must be buying the wrong Vienna sausages.  I haven't run into any gelatinous substance at all, just chicken stock packing liquid.

When it gets cold it becomes gelatinous.

MellowRoast

Re:Do you use canned meat? Wed, 11/10/10 3:10 PM (permalink)
                                                      Oh!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                        • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                                        Re:Do you use canned meat? Wed, 11/10/10 4:39 PM (permalink)
                                                        I just checked the pantry cabinet

SPAM - Check
                                                        Vienna Sausages - Check
                                                        Canned Tuna - Check
                                                        Canned Chicken - Check
                                                        Canned Corned Beef - Check
                                                        Sardines - Check
                                                        Potted Meat - Check

So to answer the question, um Yes i use canned meats

the potted meat on toast with a little mayo
                                                        sardines - How the heck did they get there
                                                        canned chicken - good for chix salad or chicken helper
                                                        tuna for tuna noodle casserole

PapaJoe8

• Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                          Re:Do you use canned meat? Wed, 11/10/10 8:08 PM (permalink)
                                                          Dollar General sells the Prairie Belt vienna type sausages I mentioned on P.2. They are WAY diff than a reg vienna! They are well worth the hunt if you cane find them. Not hot but lottsa spice. They are cheep like 65c a can. Please report back it you try some.

ALLGOOD, glad to hear others like tha jelly vienna stuff.

Mellow, are you buying Chicken viennas??? Not that those are a bad thing but if not... what brand has no jelly??? I don't want to get those!
                                                          Joe

Oh, cold??? Hmm??? Mine has jelly anyway... I think??? Now not sure?
                                                          <message edited by PapaJoe8 on Wed, 11/10/10 8:21 PM>

PapaJoe8

• Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                            Re:Do you use canned meat? Wed, 11/10/10 8:30 PM (permalink)
                                                            Oh Mellow, there is canned corned beef and canned corn. or corned?, beef hash. The Corned beef makes good tacos mixed w/ salsa.
                                                            Joe
                                                            <message edited by PapaJoe8 on Wed, 11/10/10 8:32 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 113

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com