The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky

RibRater

• Total Posts: 1862
Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Mon, 08/27/07 9:04 AM (permalink)
The wife and I drove over to Paducah (about 7 hours) on friday morning and arrived at Doe's just as they opened. They sat us in the dining room and provided a lunch menu. After explaining to the waitress that we just drove 7 hours and I wanted a big steak, she kindly provided the dinner menu. Our lunch consisted of two appetizers (fried shrimp - there were 7 and they were very good. And beef tamales - there were 3 and they were also very good), salads (fresh - no pics), a 28-30 oz ribeye, and fries. Total bill was about $60.00.

We split the ribeye and they charge an additional $6.50 split fee to add an additional salad and side for your dining partner.

Our opinion: Doe makes their own tamales and both the shrimp and tamales were VERY good. You can order the tamales with or without their home made chili..I opted to go without and just splashed some hot sauce on top. The salad was fresh and the blue cheese dressing was chunky and fresh tasting. The fries, as fries go, were spectacular. The steak - this was a large cut of high quality meat. Very tender and about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches thick. Doe's cooks the steak from the top and collects the juice in a pan underneath. They then poor the steak juice back on to the steak before serving. We tossed the fries onto that plate with the steak and had a great meal. If I were to complain it would be about the lack of salt and pepper on the steak when served. It was not seasoned at all and I prefer my steak to have both before cooking. Small issue.

Highly recommend you give them a try if in the area. They have several locations now outside of greenville ms but only three are family owned. I haven't been to a franchise store yet so I can't speak to the quality but the paducah store is family owned and it is worth a drive.

Sundancer7

RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Mon, 08/27/07 10:20 AM (permalink)
    Doe's in Greenville, MS is a very good tasty place but is in a seedy part of town. I was there a few months ago. They have parking attendents available and I suggest that if you go there, you use this service. It is highly reccomended that you try this place by Sterns and others but I saw so much prevalent drug usage around it that I opted not to stop. I probably should have stopped but I was a little nervous.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Mon, 08/27/07 10:20 AM (permalink)
      Larry,
      Thanks for that review. We want to try the Paducah 'Doe's' this winter, and your report certainly encourages us!

Related comment- I re-watched the Feasting on Asphalt episode where A B visits Doe's in Greenville to introduce the Tamale-making custom in the Delta. If I didn't know any better I would have come away from that segment with the idea that Doe's makes good Tamales...but that's the extent of the menu! I was suprised that he (or his crew) didn't at least flash a shot of those wonderful steaks to point out that Tamales in many cases are an APPETIZER !!

exsquidao

• Total Posts: 409
        RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Mon, 08/27/07 10:26 AM (permalink)
        Good point ATMB, I thought that the claim to fame (I.E. tamales) was pretty much the menu as well, I also didn't know it had several other outlets (does that make it a franchise now ?).

LindaW

• Total Posts: 338
          RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Mon, 08/27/07 10:36 AM (permalink)
          not sure which branch of Doe's was mentioned in the Top Restaurant show on FN....but Bon Appetit magazine listed Doe's in their top steak restaurants too...due to the quality of the beef...not because of the looks or any other reason...only two places above it were Cut in Beverly Hills...and my all time favorite place..Peter Luger's in Brooklyn...wish I could get something even close to what any of these places serve here in the Albany, NY area.

RibRater

RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Mon, 08/27/07 10:42 AM (permalink)
            Alton hosted a show recently on FN where Bon Appetit selected Doe's as the 3rd best steak in the country. (oops...sorry linda. i was doing my usually long winded posting when you wrote the above)

I've had a better steak at the Tennessee based ChopHouse but it was labeled prime, cost about $20 more, and was slightly smaller then the Doe's cut. Overall I think Doe's did a great job with the dinner start to finish.

Paul, I would like to go to the MS location but it was just a little to far for this trip plus I wanted to pick up some ribs at Ken Tex outside Louisville.

Louis

• Total Posts: 714
              RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Mon, 08/27/07 11:01 AM (permalink)
              In June of this year I visited the Doe's Eat Place location in Greeneville, Mississippi, but it was 9:30 in the morning; they opened around 5:30 p.m. So all I could get were the very good tamales, which were small and in a bundle of three and had a strong peppery bite. The restaurant was in a really seedy part of town and the interior didn't look much better. So after a stop at Abe's in Clarksdale, Mississippi, I ate at the Doe's location in Oxford, Mississippi. This restaurant was located inside a downtown Holiday Inn. The steak was very good. However, this morning I've learned that there is another Doe's just 70 miles from me. Western Kentucky now has another excellent steak destination for me to patronize.

buffetbuster

RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Mon, 08/27/07 11:10 AM (permalink)
                Larry-
                Thanks for the nice report. I was not even aware that they opened one in Paducah. That would certainly be the closest one for me.

Sundancer-
                I haven't been to the one in Greenville, MS yet, but I will be there next month. It sounds like it would be a good idea to eat and get out before it gets dark.

The only location I have tried so far is Little Rock and it was most likely the Roadood restaurant in the worst neighborhood I have tried so far. The food was terrific, though.

Just how many Doe's are there? Here are the ones I know of so far:

Greenville, MS
                Oxford, MS
                Little Rock, AR
                Fayetteville, AR
                Tulsa, OK
                Paducah, KY

Are there more out there?

RibRater

RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Mon, 08/27/07 11:19 AM (permalink)
                  The Paducah location is in part of the revitalized downtown. It's 1 block off the river front area where people were hanging out, walking, running etc. On the same street there is a pie shop, antique shops, other restaurants, etc.

I was approached by a couple panhandlers who, of course, were stranded and needed bus money (these guys need a new story) going in to Doe's but the area was fine.

BB, i think there are 7 total...3 owned by the original family and 4 franchise locations.

RibRater

RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Mon, 08/27/07 11:21 AM (permalink)
                    actually there's good info right on their site - go figure

http://www.doeseatplace.com/

buffetbuster

RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Mon, 08/27/07 11:30 AM (permalink)
                      Larry-
                      Wow! I had no idea that there were so many now. This can be both good and bad, if you know what I mean. Hopefully, the quality of these places remain high.

Sundancer7

RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Mon, 08/27/07 11:36 AM (permalink)
                        I did not mean that my mention of that Doe's in Greenville, MS would deter any visitor. It is indeed seedy but the crowd indicates that most overlook that problem. They are very crowded and very popular. Obviously the food is very good.

My objection is that the neighborhood gave me the willy's.

The restaurant was packed.

Paul E. Smith
                        Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                          RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Mon, 08/27/07 11:44 AM (permalink)

Our one visit to Doe's in Greenville,MS was in the evening with a pouring rain coming down. The place was very busy, and the surrounding area had apparently been "flushed Clear" by the driving rain. We shared a really good Porterhouse and then left town ! The meal was outstanding.

RibRater

RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Mon, 08/27/07 5:37 PM (permalink)
                            Only on roadfood would a mention of a 7 hour drive to get to a steakhouse in time for lunch be totally ignored.

Before I ever knew this site or the books existed, I would pack up the family and drive half a day to eat lunch at some place I heard about through the grapevine...and then drive home. Everybody I know thought we were odd. We just smiled.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                              RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Mon, 08/27/07 6:02 PM (permalink)
                              Larry,
                              You're just one of the family here !!

About the Alton Brown coverage...On the Doe's Website they make a comment about Brown's crew filming ALL aspects of the menu...including the Steaks. I guess the editing got pretty serious if they cut out the Beef !!

Louis

RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Mon, 08/27/07 8:47 PM (permalink)
                                Thanks for Doe's website, Larry. I had no idea there were so many. Gee, I was in Tulsa for three days on my vacation in June and didn't even know they had a Doe's there. Instead, I got stuck with someone who told me that--after a two-year search--he had ferreted out the city's best chicken fried steak--only to be taken to Cracker Barrel.

For what it's worth, I found a very good hot dog stand in Tulsa--a Coney Islander that is even better than the one the Sterns recommended on this site. The one the Sterns recommended was at 7462 East Admiral Place. The one I found that was much better--especially the chili--was at 2838 East 11th (Street, I think, but--if not--Avenue) (zip: 74104); phone: (918) 592-3113. The chili they served was worthy of that song "Take Me Back To Tulsa."

And next time I'll eat there instead of driving all the way to Oxford, Mississippi.

essemjay58

• Total Posts: 134
                                  RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Mon, 08/27/07 9:13 PM (permalink)
                                  It just seems wrong to not use a corn husk on your tamale. Sure it costs more, but it's traditional.

RibRater

RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Tue, 08/28/07 6:52 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by essemjay58

It just seems wrong to not use a corn husk on your tamale. Sure it costs more, but it's traditional.

Yeah, I almost couldn't finish my steak thinking about that and I left one bite of salad on my plate in protest for the corn husk(er)s of the world.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                      RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Tue, 08/28/07 7:22 AM (permalink)
                                      Larry-great review! Sounds like a place I would love.I have to agree with you about driving hours to places I like to eat.My husband and I have been doing that for years,too!!!

Louis

RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Thu, 03/13/08 2:12 AM (permalink)
                                        Well, I finally got to Doe's Paducah location today, and it's every bit as good as the other locations. As in the other locations, their paper-wrapped tamales were quite spicy and full of flavor, and they didn't taste like something that had come out of a can. My filet mignon was perfect; it was probably the tenderest example of that cut of meat that I had ever eaten. It was worth its $30 price.

I asked why the owners began a family-run operation in Paducah, KY; the other two family-run restaurants are in Mississippi. Answer: they have family here.

Anyway, I'm glad there is another quality restaurant in western Kentucky for people who care about quality food. There aren't too many, but there are enough to keep one busy eating for a few days.

RibRater

RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Thu, 03/13/08 9:27 AM (permalink)
                                          Excellent Louis. I was just thinking about that place this week and plotting a return trip.

Louis

RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Thu, 03/13/08 10:36 AM (permalink)
                                            Thanks for tipping me to this place last August, Larry. It's one more place I can add to my list when I want to take a "Western Kentucky Steak and Pork Tour."

Such a tour includes:

Patti's 1880 Settlement in Grand Rivers, KY. for their 2-inch pork chops (and it's only 20-25 miles from Doe's).
                                            http://www.pattis-settlement.com/

Knockum Hill Bar-B-Q in Herndon, KY for absolutely the largest and juiciest pork chop you'll ever eat. See this thread for details:
                                            http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15014&SearchTerms=knockum

Charlie's Steak House in Hopkinsville, KY for their porterhouse steak:
                                            http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=3518
                                            (I might also add that Knockum Hill Bar-B-Q and Charlie's Steak House are only 10 miles apart.)

There's some fine eating down this way, but you have to search for it.

Sundancer7

RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Thu, 03/13/08 11:01 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Louis

Well, I finally got to Doe's Paducah location today, and it's every bit as good as the other locations. As in the other locations, their paper-wrapped tamales were quite spicy and full of flavor, and they didn't taste like something that had come out of a can. My filet mignon was perfect; it was probably the tenderest example of that cut of meat that I had ever eaten. It was worth its $30 price.

I asked why the owners began a family-run operation in Paducah, KY; the other two family-run restaurants are in Mississippi. Answer: they have family here.

Anyway, I'm glad there is another quality restaurant in western Kentucky for people who care about quality food. There aren't too many, but there are enough to keep one busy eating for a few days.

I am anxious to try their new location.

Paul E. Smith
                                              Knoxville, TN

tipbybrassow

• Total Posts: 3
                                                RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Thu, 03/27/08 1:38 PM (permalink)
                                                My wife and I have eaten at Doe's in Paducah no less than 25 times. It is by far the best steak in the area. The service is exceptional and the food overall is great.

We always split the Ribeye. I get the fries, which are excellent, and she gets the steamed veggies. The fried shrimp is very good. The breading is light and tasty, not greasy like fried shrimp at many establishments.

Doe's is my favorite place to eat in western KY and I have never had a bad meal or experience there. If I could only eat at 4 restaurants in Western KY, they would be:

1. Doe's
                                                2. Patti's
                                                3. Backwood's BBQ
                                                4. Max's Brick Oven

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
                                                  RE: Doe's Eat Place - Paducah Ky Thu, 03/27/08 4:57 PM (permalink)
                                                  Just wanted to mention that it is quite possible that some of the vagrants you saw hanging around the Greenville Doe's were actually people hired to keep an eye on things. I have never heard of an "incident" occurring there and I've been approached by panhandlers coming out of Walgreens in the suburbs, but not at Doe's.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                    • No New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                    • Read Message
                                                    • Post New Thread
                                                    • Reply to message
                                                    • Post New Poll
                                                    • Submit Vote
                                                    • Post reward post
                                                    • Delete my own posts
                                                    • Delete my own threads
                                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com