Does Roadfood "cater" to higher-end but still hole-in-the-wall destination eateries?

Author
tenacity
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2012/04/23 13:41:14 (permalink)

Does Roadfood "cater" to higher-end but still hole-in-the-wall destination eateries?

I didn't find a lot of guidance when searching the forums for things like molecular gastronomy or "tasting menu", so I am unsure if it is acceptable to review or submit for consideration a little spot that I adore. It's tiny, "mom & pop", self-taught and utterly value-oriented in its small town. BUT, while lunches are just good eats, the dinners are tasting menus that veer over into modernist cuisine and tricky techniques and challenging ingredients. The undercurrent is always wonderful tastes, not "we are trying to confuse you". The sources are mostly local (many foraged items, even!) and obviously I have a problem not gushing. Sorry.

Yet I noticed that a mention of the Fat Duck in England was met with scorn on these forums, and I would give a testicle to eat there (if I had any). Not that this spot is THAT cutting-edge, but it is certainly modernist.

So... what say ye? :-) 

8 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4978
    Re:Does Roadfood "cater" to higher-end but still hole-in-the-wall destination eateries? 2012/04/23 13:45:29 (permalink)
    While I'm in no position of authority the simple lunch menu, individual owners, hands-on approach, and strong local ties all say "Roadfood" to me.

Brad
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18267
    Re:Does Roadfood "cater" to higher-end but still hole-in-the-wall destination eateries? 2012/04/23 13:58:02 (permalink)
    I can't imagine why there'd be any question about submitting a report or review for the spot of which you speak. While I personally consider molecular gastronomy to be more than a bit uninteresting I'm sure others would disagree. In fact, some others would disagree just because I find it uninteresting.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Does Roadfood "cater" to higher-end but still hole-in-the-wall destination eateries? 2012/04/24 00:37:38 (permalink)
    You can borrow a Roadfood Rocky Mountain Oyster for trade... and submit a Fruit Caviar or some other fun foam or sphere. We only live once.
    FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Does Roadfood "cater" to higher-end but still hole-in-the-wall destination eateries? 2012/04/24 00:48:04 (permalink)
    If the food is good......post it.........let others make their judgements and/or witty remarks as they may......if you only turn one other person on to a great place, you did well
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10093
    Re:Does Roadfood "cater" to higher-end but still hole-in-the-wall destination eateries? 2012/04/24 05:17:51 (permalink)
    Molecular gastronomy???????
    I'm interested.
    I've never eaten a Molecular before!
    When you see all the new, modern equipment they use on Iron Chef America to prepare foods, it makes you wonder what's coming next!
    The other day someone asked me, "Sous Vide?"
    I replied, "I'm fine, how's Youze Vide?" 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10093
    Re:Does Roadfood "cater" to higher-end but still hole-in-the-wall destination eateries? 2012/04/24 05:26:35 (permalink)
    From "What is Roadfood?"
    Roadfood is almost always informal and inexpensive; and the best Roadfood restaurants are colorful places enjoyed by locals (and savvy travelers) for their character as well as their menu.
    Based on your description---
    • Mom & Pop
    • Value oriented
    • Small town
    • Self Taught
    • Local Products
    I'd say it qualifies. Let's hear about it!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3997
    Re:Does Roadfood "cater" to higher-end but still hole-in-the-wall destination eateries? 2012/04/24 08:08:37 (permalink)
    My view of Roadfood is that we talk about food we eat "while on the road", including "fine dining".  Many write about such experiences; just search Peter Luger's here and you'll find tons of hits on this site. 

That said, you won't find much here about Ferran Adrià or his U.S. based protege, José Andrés.  But, I'm sure that will come.  The bottom line is that Roadfood participants are folks that like to eat and discover new venues for exercising that proclivity.  To me, that includes sharing any experience with food produced by capable hands that include Ferran Adrià's and Thomas Keller's, as well as Wilber Shirley's and Aaron Franklin's.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Does Roadfood "cater" to higher-end but still hole-in-the-wall destination eateries? 2012/04/24 08:26:43 (permalink)
    Ice cream frozen with liquid nitrogen has become popular and somewhat mainstream. It's a molecular gastronomy technique that can produce delicious results.

Travail is a great example of a little bit Roadfood a little bit MG...

http://www.minnesotamonth...er-2010/Labor-of-Love/
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/04/24 09:12:21
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1