Does Size Really Matter

Author
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
2004/09/18 11:41:48 (permalink)

Does Size Really Matter

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this topic but if not I believe the moderators in their ultimate wisdom will move it.
Recently I went to two pig roasts two weeks apart.
The first had a 140 pound pig done in a large cylindrical roaster.
The pork was not only succulent but had a true deep pork taste.
The second pig roast used two 35 to 40 pound pigs.
The meat was succulent but did not have the pork flavor of the larger offering. The small ones had a much stronger smoke flavor and displayed the pink smoke ring at least a quarter of an inch into the meat. Frankly the smoke flavor was on the border of being too intense.
I would really like to hear thoughts and comments from some of the Southern experts.
Does size really matter?

12 Replies Related Threads

Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2320
    RE: Does Size Really Matter 2004/09/18 11:59:51 (permalink)
    On the Tennessee Glee Club excursion to Hays Smokehouse, I discussed this with Mr. Hays. He said he could deliver a pig of any size, but was adamant in his recommendation. He has a strong preference for a pig between 140 and 145 pounds. I'm not going to argue with him.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Does Size Really Matter 2004/09/18 21:23:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

On the Tennessee Glee Club excursion to Hays Smokehouse, I discussed this with Mr. Hays. He said he could deliver a pig of any size, but was adamant in his recommendation. He has a strong preference for a pig between 140 and 145 pounds. I'm not going to argue with him.

As always, Poverty is correct, but I can't remember what the actual yield was on those pigs. It was surprisingly small. The small yield EQUALS quality, though.
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2320
    RE: Does Size Really Matter 2004/09/18 21:59:43 (permalink)
    The actual yield turns out to be 40 pounds. Dennis Hays tells me that, along with the beans & such, will feed 150.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Does Size Really Matter 2004/09/18 22:40:38 (permalink)
    Mr Hays is counting on me not being in the group to be served!
    I recall that he did say the yield would be about 1/3rd of the dressed weight for the typical Hog.
    When I do shoulders (pork) and Sirloin Tip (beef) I find that the beef tends to get oversmoked compared to the pork cooked the same amount of time. It must have something to do with the fat content of the meat.
    But in the size issue, you are talking about the surface area vs depth for the whole hog. I certainly agree with the gentleman who has made a life out of doing the whole hogs as good or better than anyone else. Size Matters !
    I will ask when we visit two weeks from now...Is there a point where the size becomes a problem. I know some of the really big hogs get a strong gamey flavor that even smoke won't cover. Is there a size where that starts to become an issue?
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Does Size Really Matter 2004/09/28 10:15:58 (permalink)
    Just returned from my third pig roast of the season.
    Our marina on the Jersey shore cooked an 80 pound pig in
    a Vietnamese Box.
    The pork was once again perfectly done and tender and succulent.
    After tasting the 40lb., 80lb. and 140lb. pig, I would choose the
    last as the most flavorful.
    Of course, the three were cooked using different methods and they
    were all tasty and good. And recognizing there are many other variables like the pig itself, the smoke the cooking method etc.
    All in all I feel fortunate having gone to three pig roasts over the past two months. Can't wait to get down south and back to Sweatman's and some of the other fine Q establishments.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Does Size Really Matter 2004/09/30 12:27:14 (permalink)
    Vietnamese Box--this the same a Cuban box--(metal lined wooden box on metal legs. with metal top that is recessed to hold the coals)
    Had pork cooked in this once and decided to build one for myself---it was great! Ive found that if its slow cooked amd seasoned well,it makes little difference how big the beast is---they all taste great! Myself-i prefer to butcher pigs before they get over 200 lbs or so----after that you are raising alot of bacon and dont get as much table meat per lb of feed.
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Does Size Really Matter 2004/09/30 14:58:04 (permalink)
    tiki:
    Now I am not sure if the roast master was fooling with me or not, since he is Cuban. Yes it is the same box. After the pig was cooked and removed they continued using the top surface with a large grill to crisp up some skin, and cook burgers.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Does Size Really Matter 2004/09/30 15:07:21 (permalink)
    thought so---my brother calls his a "Cuban Coffin"---the pig was awesome no matter what you call the cooker!
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Does Size Really Matter 2004/10/01 12:07:18 (permalink)
    Also known as a cajun microwave...
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Does Size Really Matter 2004/10/01 20:03:39 (permalink)
    As always, I've learned something really cool here on Roadfood. I wasn't familiar with the "Cuban box", so I did some research.

I found that the Cubans actually call this a caja china (Chinese box). There's a great article about these[url='http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36893-2004Aug3.html']here[/url], although you'll probably have to "register" to read it.

Now, I'm going to have to get me one of these, although my wife will have a FIT.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Does Size Really Matter 2004/10/02 08:05:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

Now, I'm going to have to get me one of these, although my wife will have a FIT.

Me too Bushie---but cant find one so im making my own---well actually im helping a friend of mine to make it! It really works well---My family is nuts about an italian roast called a "porketta"--boned,seasoned and rolled pork shoulders---and this thing is fabulous for cooking it---plus---im rigging the fire box with big handles and a grill so i can grill my veggies and pinapple to go with it!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Does Size Really Matter 2004/10/02 10:59:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

My family is nuts about an italian roast called a "porketta"--boned,seasoned and rolled pork shoulders---and this thing is fabulous for cooking it---plus---im rigging the fire box with big handles and a grill so i can grill my veggies and pinapple to go with it!

Yum.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1