Does Starbuck's have an agenda?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Does Starbuck's have an agenda? 2006/03/01 22:40:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevencarry

Absolutely, It's called Peet's. Best enjoyed at the original location on Vine in Berkeley

Well, that's a long trip when one of the newest locations (under construction when I headed to AZ for the winter) is on the ground floor of my SF building (where Firenze used to be).

HOWEVER, to rephrase the question, "Can Starbucks sell their coffee for more than ever?"
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Does Starbuck's have an agenda? 2006/03/02 02:17:28 (permalink)
quote:

As for your Max's location the problem is they are all so cookie cutter now you get a feeling you could be anywhere even Starbuck's.
Some locations of Peet's like the original and my hometown of Mill Valley,Ca
You really feel like it's the only location not a corporate one.Again I have nothing against chains in fact I spend a lot of money in them, they just need to have personality.
You want personality........ Go to the place by the Hastings(?)Law school near you. It's called Wild Awakenings or something like that maybe on McCallister. It's got old couchs and coffee tables (did i say coffee) and people studying and sleeping and oh just take me back to Greenwich Village circa 1964 will ya.

Not Max's (I have disliked Max's for 24 years). When I left town, they were building out a Peet's at the corner of Turk and Van Ness in my building.

As for Wild Awakenings, for the last 10 years I have worked part time at 7th and Market and I used to take my breaks and sometimes my lunch hours there. Know it well. And I must say, you get around for a member of the "bridge and tunnel" crowd.

PS: For an off-topic digression (actually, the whole post may be off topic so I'll just say STARBUCK's), let me add that most of my lunch's were from George's Deli near 6th and Market. It was fascinating watching George whip up a really good Polish sausage in such a small space. Think "Snap!", then a rush of delicious juiciness.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5550
RE: Does Starbuck's have an agenda? 2006/03/02 10:33:58 (permalink)
quote:

I think that anyone who goes there needs to pay whatever asked of them because they do not take advantage of their God given talent for original thought.

that is just about the most condescending and rudest thing I've ever read on this site.

BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Does Starbuck's have an agenda? 2006/03/02 12:50:42 (permalink)
quote:

I meant Peet's in the Max's building...I haven't been there but I don't need to as they have a cookie cutter design that is the same everywhere, it's Starbuck's done is brown instead of green.
I wonder, does Greenwich Village still have coffee houses like I am thinking of.
I'll call Dave Van Ronk or Tom Rush or John Sebastian and they will know.

From what I have been able to observe, no they don't. There are a lot of Starbuck's in New York these days and I'm sure there are plenty of them in Greenwich Villiage which is pretty upscale now. In my recent trip to NYC, I don't recall seeing anything like the independent coffee shops (complete with old, overstuffed furniture and the rest) all over SF. There are plenty of independent places, but they are also fairly modern, shiny and expensive and don't look like they would welcome anyone to sit and read for the afternoon.

Come to think of it, the only city where I did see anything like the SF phenomenon lately was New Orleans (before Katrina). Although there were a number of them, one convenient one (and I hope it survived) was Community Coffee on Royal St. This was actually part of a local chain, but walking in you'd never know it. It looked somewhat like Wild Awakenings. New Orleans always did get the time-worn but friendly look right.
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 359
RE: Does Starbuck's have an agenda? 2006/03/02 15:10:31 (permalink)
Scorereader;
Does that qualify me for an immediate upgrade to "double cheeseburger" ?

Actually, Starbuck's makes their money on those "frou frou" drinks.
Where there are four on a corner downtown they are below offices that all supply beans and coffee makers.

So Starbuck's is today's soda fountain.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
RE: Does Starbuck's have an agenda? 2006/03/04 10:02:38 (permalink)
On CNN today:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/04/starbucks.breakfast.ap/index.html

Happy fast microwaved breakfast.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Does Starbuck's have an agenda? 2006/03/04 12:38:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

On CNN today:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/04/starbucks.breakfast.ap/index.html

Happy fast microwaved breakfast.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

This could be a big mistake. Not only does it diverge from their "corps" business, but it's hard to imagine how this won't make the already long lines much longer as people wait while the microwave does its magic. And somehow I don't think the grande soy latte crowd is the same demographic for an egg McMuffin or whatever they plan to call them.

But, of course, so far they have made few business mistakes so maybe this will work.
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Does Starbuck's have an agenda? 2006/03/05 00:26:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:

I meant Peet's in the Max's building...I haven't been there but I don't need to as they have a cookie cutter design that is the same everywhere, it's Starbuck's done is brown instead of green.
I wonder, does Greenwich Village still have coffee houses like I am thinking of.
I'll call Dave Van Ronk or Tom Rush or John Sebastian and they will know.

From what I have been able to observe, no they don't. There are a lot of Starbuck's in New York these days and I'm sure there are plenty of them in Greenwich Villiage which is pretty upscale now. In my recent trip to NYC, I don't recall seeing anything like the independent coffee shops (complete with old, overstuffed furniture and the rest) all over SF. There are plenty of independent places, but they are also fairly modern, shiny and expensive and don't look like they would welcome anyone to sit and read for the afternoon.

Come to think of it, the only city where I did see anything like the SF phenomenon lately was New Orleans (before Katrina). Although there were a number of them, one convenient one (and I hope it survived) was Community Coffee on Royal St. This was actually part of a local chain, but walking in you'd never know it. It looked somewhat like Wild Awakenings. New Orleans always did get the time-worn but friendly look right.

BT:
There are PLENTY of independent coffee places like this all over the five boroughs, although it is anyone's guess how long they might last given the real estate boom (yet they have survived this in the past). There are still at least two or three in Chelsea, they are still prevalent in Manhattan's Little Italy, there are even a few on the Upper East Side, not to mention those in ethnic enclaves in the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn.

Some of them were not too far away from where you were staying; you just needed someone to show them to you.

With a large immigrant community of Italians and Greeks, these places have always been important parts of the fabric of the city.
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Does Starbuck's have an agenda? 2006/03/05 00:28:16 (permalink)
Sorry:
Also, I meant to add that these places in New York are far from being shiny or modern...and they have comfortable furniture, and people are not going to rush you out.
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 359
RE: Does Starbuck's have an agenda? 2006/03/05 00:45:49 (permalink)
Hey tacchino, I am going to New York and was born in Staten Island a long time ago. Anyplace cool in that borough you could send me ?
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1