Does anyone cook a paunce/pounce?

Author
cajun
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
2003/12/11 19:10:51 (permalink)

Does anyone cook a paunce/pounce?

Do people in other areas of the country, or world cook pounce?
After you butcher a pig, or you can buy the pounce from a butcher, you clean the pig stomach inside and out real good. Then you take some pork ground meat, add some of the cleaned organs ground up, (liver, heart, etc.) mix well with salt,pepper, and onion tops. stuff into the stomach, sew up the opening and smoke it, or you dont have too if you dont like it smoked. Put in a dutch oven brown the meat in a little oil, add water, and cook for about 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Slice and serve with rice and the gravy you made. I would like to know if other people in the country do it different and how you cook it. Cajun

10 Replies Related Threads

janine_willis
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Does anyone cook a paunce/pounce? 2003/12/11 20:42:42 (permalink)
    A friend of mine who lives in Lebannon, PA talks about eating something similar but they don't call it "pounce." I think they just call it stuffed pig stomach. I've never had it but I imagine the cajun version of it would be the best. If it comes from Southwest LA, how bad could it possibly be?

I tend to agree with the immortal words of Nathan and the Zydeco Cha-Chas who sang, "Everything on the hog is good. 'Cept the eyes. The eyes ain't no good."

Janine

cajun
    Junior Burger
    RE: Does anyone cook a paunce/pounce? 2003/12/11 21:10:11 (permalink)
    You don't know how right you are. Starting with pickled pig snout,Hog Head cheese,cracklin from the skin,pounce from the stomach, internal organs for dressing mix, ribs for BBQ, intestines for boudin, pickled pig feet,fried pig tails,The rest of the meat for sauce piquant, everything but the eyes can be eaten. Cajun
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Does anyone cook a paunce/pounce? 2003/12/11 21:26:11 (permalink)
    I'd love to try that pounce. Is it available mail order, or is it only made at home?
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Does anyone cook a paunce/pounce? 2003/12/11 22:33:17 (permalink)
    Here in PA, we make something called stuffed pig stomach. It starts the same as yours, cajun, but is stuffed with a mixture of pork sausage, small cubes of raw potato, chopped onion, fresh parsley, salt and pepper. Then all the openings are sewn shut and it is baked, sometimes with bacon slices on top, sometimes basted with butter. When the stuffing is cooked and the stomach is crispy, it's cut into wide slices and served. There is still one Roadfood-style restaurant in our area that serves this every evening and some fire companies, Granges, 4-H clubs, etc. that have stuffed pig stomach dinners as a fund raiser. It is usually served with peper cabbage and applesauce.

The organs usually make their way into scrapple, sort of a pig offals cornmeal mush.

Nice to hear there are other pig stomach fans out there.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Does anyone cook a paunce/pounce? 2003/12/11 23:07:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

I'd love to try that pounce. Is it available mail order, or is it only made at home?
    Try[url='http://www.pochesmarket.com/poche_prod/stuf_chaudin.htm/']Poche's Market[/url]. Everything I've gotten there has been great.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: Does anyone cook a paunce/pounce? 2003/12/12 02:45:58 (permalink)
    Just more vestiges of Scots in the South! Add a little oatmeal, and you have haggis!
    cajun
    Junior Burger
    RE: Does anyone cook a paunce/pounce? 2003/12/12 19:20:13 (permalink)
    quote:

It is absolutely available for shipping, LeJeune's sausage Kitchen will ship to you.There phone number is (337) 457-8491 There address is 104 tasso cir. Eunice La. 70535. By the way ask them about there tasso, ( smoked and highly seasoned ham). Great for beans,gumbo,or even just like that.Cajun
    drchanterelle
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: Does anyone cook a paunce/pounce? 2003/12/13 12:26:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    I tend to agree with the immortal words of Nathan and the Zydeco Cha-Chas who sang, "Everything on the hog is good. 'Cept the eyes. The eyes ain't no good."

Janine

Strange! I have a good friend with family roots in Calibria, and he has often spoken of the special occassion roasting of lamb's head, and the fact that the eye was considered the best part and reserved for the guest of honor. How much different can a lamb's eye be from a pig's?

I bet those pig eyes are a vital part of those 3 for $1 hot dogs at 7/11! jm
    cajun
    Junior Burger
    RE: Does anyone cook a paunce/pounce? 2003/12/13 18:12:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cajun

quote:

It is absolutely available for shipping, LeJeune's sausage Kitchen will ship to you.There phone number is (337) 457-8491 There address is 104 tasso cir. Eunice La. 70535. By the way ask them about there tasso, ( smoked and highly seasoned ham). Great for beans,gumbo,or even just like that.Cajun
    Sorry about the misinformation, I called LeJeune's today to check on shipping a pounce, and they arent shipping anything before christmas. Too busy with walk in customers.
    cajun
    Junior Burger
    RE: Does anyone cook a paunce/pounce? 2003/12/14 07:36:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by drchanterelle

quote:

Janine

Strange! I have a good friend with family roots in Calibria, and he has often spoken of the special occassion roasting of lamb's head, and the fact that the eye was considered the best part and reserved for the guest of honor. How much different can a lamb's eye be from a pig's?

I bet those pig eyes are a vital part of those 3 for $1 hot dogs at 7/11! jm
    Interesting! I guess the reason we don't use the eyes for anything is that there is only two of them and with usually a dozen people around, there would be a knockdown, dragout,fight for them,Or there might be some voodoo superstition thing that the old people believe in and we just didn't want to take a chance. LOL
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1