Does anyone like Quiznos?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
CarolinaBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/02/17 13:50:56 (permalink)
Used to be a Subway basher but find Quizno's even worse. People are dead on in saying how can there be so many different things on sandwich and it still winds up tasteless? Much prefer Jersey Mike's or even Publix. Cannot believe the thread about how they opened a Quizno's in South Philly - who the heck would go there in a sub and cheesesteak mecca?
laststandchili
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/02/17 14:38:27 (permalink)
Had their french dip with au jus once. Very small and mostly bun, very skimpy on meat, cheese etc. On the up side however the au jus was definitely brown.

Vayo con Queso
FlippyTheRed
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/02/19 21:39:24 (permalink)
Quizno's makes a decent sandwich (not sub) for a large chain. At least toasting the bread/meat allows some of the flavors to come out. Subway is so horrible they should have to take 'Sub' out of their name. A slice or two of fake salami surrounded by bread that tastes like and has the consistancy of paper towels is not my idea of a sub.

I nominate the Submarine House chain in Dayton OH as the best sub I've ever had. Crunchy but soft toasted bread, real meats and cheeses, LTO, oil and vinegar and hot pepper relish. I've been all over the country and haven't found anything nearly as good.
octopus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 264
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/02/20 16:57:25 (permalink)
Quiznos, Is barely ok IMO, very expensive. I usually go to Subway because they are cheaper but I can't say I really enjoy either one of them a whole lot. When it is not too busy in both places ask them to send the subs through the toaster a second time, that improves them slightly. I would perfer a good deli or making my own sandwiches if one can't be found.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 709
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/02/20 18:01:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by octopus

Quiznos, Is barely ok IMO, very expensive. I usually go to Subway because they are cheaper but I can't say I really enjoy either one of them a whole lot. When it is not too busy in both places ask them to send the subs through the toaster a second time, that improves them slightly. I would perfer a good deli or making my own sandwiches if one can't be found.

If I am in a hurry and really can't waste time, I'll eat Quiznos or subway, I eat them because I am at a gas station getting fuel for my car and the gas station sells on of the two sandwhiches

ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/02/20 22:01:39 (permalink)
Quiznos has a better tasting bread, serves larger portions and charges more than Subway. Quiznos is good if you live in an area where there are not Great Sub Shops. It's a decent alternative. I like their Ciabatta bread.

But Subway more serves my purpose. Though I haven't lost as much weight as Jared has by eating Subway, their sandwiches are a convenient tool to my weight control.

Their noting of how many calories each sub is proves rather reliable. Of course, you could count calories at home, but this is just easier sometimes. And, it's still eating out.

For example, a foot-long Ham Sandwich at Subway is, oh, about 580 calories if you go easy on the dressing (use light mayo). And while this is nowhere near the size of something I'd like to eat for lunch or dinner, it's still not skimpy. And, letting common sense prevail, it should be enough food for someone...or so I tell myself.

Using the previously noted ScreenBear formula for weight control, simply multiply 10 times my weight (212 lbs), which tells me I can eat 2120 calories a day if I wish to maintain that weight.

Therefore, I can eat 3 of those subs a day and lose weight, if I so wish. Hey, weight loss is a multibillion dollar business in America, and nobody's got the secret yet. This game works for me.

Otherwise, I probably wouldn't ever eat a Subway, except for social reasons at a friend's Subway, and also because Abe's tuna fish at the Subway on Broad Street in Newark, N.J., near Central Avenue just happens to be truly great.

Fact is, I was surprised that Subway has made such good inroads in New Jersey, considering the plethora of great Sub Sandwich shops here. Among the best is Hero King, Market Street, just below Penn Station, Newark.

If you have a stop at Penn Station and have the time, walk the 2 blocks and have a great sub on Cucuzzella bread. A note for strict constructionists: Hero King routinely puts shredded lettuce on its subs. If you don't like that, tell 'em. Hero King is only open during the week, and I think Gus the owner closes pretty early...maybe around 3 p.m.

Another great place is M & P Biancamano, 1116 Washington Street, Hoboken, New Jersey. Equally great Italian style sub sandwiches. He uses Marie's bread, of Hoboken, which is really terrific.

You'll notice I've used a lot of superlatives in describing NJ's subs. It's no exaggeration. Breaded Fried Pork Tenderloin sandwiches we don't have. But hot dogs and sub sandwiches we got.

Of course, you'll have to drive on roads with some very bad drivers, of which we also have an ample and ever-increasing supply. The lawlessness among our drivers seems to be reaching epidemic proportions. But that discussion for another time and place. I just felt I had to warn you.

Here's the problem, though, about eating all those good dogs and subs. If I eat at those places, I gain weight, and then that sends me back to Subway. I tell yuh, it just ain't fair.
The Bear
sizz_leteen
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/02/27 07:56:43 (permalink)
I certainly don't eat there often, but I think their subs are sublime. I don't like Subway at all, and don't even get me started on how awful Mr. Sub is.
Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1453
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/02/27 09:19:52 (permalink)
I love Bob, I loved the furry critters too, but neither has successfully lured me in to actually buy a sub. I will say I'm not a big fan of toasted subs, they scrape the heck out of the top of my mouth.

I tend to favor the local subshops. In Syracuse, I get my sandwiches fomr the Italian Chef on Butternut, locally baked gooey bread. In Cortland I go to Kings Subs on Main Street, (I've been chowing on their subs for over thirty years).
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/02/27 10:08:35 (permalink)
I would say that they are, roughly, the equivalent of Subway. In both places, I have to pay extra (for double meat) to get what I consider to be a decent amount of meat on the sandwiches. Since, to me, most subs are better untoasted, I believe the toasting thing is primarily a marketing ploy, a way to differentiate themselves from Subway. I wouldn't go out of my way to patronize either.
Catracks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/03/01 13:14:02 (permalink)
I don't go out for sandwiches unless it's something very special I'm unable to duplicate at home easily like pastrami dips and pulled pork.

I've tried the place once and it was so unremarkable that I never bothered to go back. Not as bad as Subway though.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3174
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/03/01 13:23:27 (permalink)
I've never tried one but that new Quizno's Prime Rib sandwich ad sure looks tasty. $2.99? I might break down but none of these posts looks like it's a wise thing to do.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/03/01 13:39:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sizz_leteen

I certainly don't eat there often, but I think their subs are sublime. I don't like Subway at all, and don't even get me started on how awful Mr. Sub is.

sublime? is that really what you meant? that Quizno's subs are sublime?

hmm?
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 359
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/03/01 17:27:36 (permalink)
try the new bread bowls, at least they're a little different.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/03/01 20:31:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaBill

Cannot believe the thread about how they opened a Quizno's in South Philly - who the heck would go there in a sub and cheesesteak mecca?

There is no accounting for this sort of phenomenon. Here in Southern AZ, I am constantly amazed to see Mexican truck drivers (Mexican trucks are allowed to cross the border) eating at Taco Bell (there's an outlet of a local tacqueria mini-chain across the street that serves pretty good and reasonably authentic food).
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/03/02 00:34:05 (permalink)
If I believed that the new prime rib sandwich at Quizno's looked even HALF as good as the advertisement, I'd be out buying one.

Unfortunately, we all know better....
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/03/02 00:59:16 (permalink)
Quiznos has absolutely the worst submarine sandwiches I have ever had. Their roll is absolutely horrid and their sandwiches vastely overpriced. Even with a $2.00 off coupon, you get better subs elsewhere for the same price.
drsmoke02
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 250
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/03/02 09:19:03 (permalink)
I think quiznos is fabulous,ranks right up there with mcdonalds, for taste and quality.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/03/02 10:54:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

If I believed that the new prime rib sandwich at Quizno's looked even HALF as good as the advertisement, I'd be out buying one.

Unfortunately, we all know better....

I'm with you on that. That commercial actually gets my mouth to water. I know the real experience will be a disappointment.

ah well.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3174
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/03/02 13:36:08 (permalink)
A few years ago Taco Bell opened an outlet in Mexico City; it was mobbed. CNN (I believe) asked someone in line why they were dining there. "I love American food" was the reply.
sizz_leteen
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/03/03 08:57:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:
Originally posted by sizz_leteen

sublime? is that really what you meant? that Quizno's subs are sublime?

hmm?

Well, I'm not a sub connoiseur, so as far as they go, I do think that Quizno's are sublime.
fastfood
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/03/15 13:57:30 (permalink)
I was gonna go there until a friend of mine got food poisoning there. I might stop by a few months from now to try them out for the first time hopefully they don't have food handling issues then LOL. But I guess I will have to feast on Arby's subs for now.
JBarry713
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/04/03 17:28:27 (permalink)
I've had a few different types of sandwiches at Quizno's and, at best, they are average. I'll take Blimpie any time I am going to eat at a sandwich chain.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 861
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/04/03 19:59:06 (permalink)
Feeling adventurous, I tried the prime rib sandwich.
Tasteless, except for salt, and the usual experience of too much bun and not enough meat.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/04/03 20:21:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Phildelmar

Feeling adventurous, I tried the prime rib sandwich.
Tasteless, except for salt, and the usual experience of too much bun and not enough meat.

Thanks, I was wondering. The only time I ate at Quiznos, it was awful and nothing could get me back there. And watching that commerical for their "so-called" prime rib sandwich just made me think how awful the so called prime rib sub I had there about 5 years ago was...
Deja Vu..
Sorry for your loss...and thanks for the warning..
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/04/03 21:09:50 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
I hear through the grapevine that Quizno's is absolutely sub-standard.
Yawn.
If I want a decent sub, I visit Little Italy on North Lumpkin Street here in Athens. The place is living proof that good pizza and subs CAN be found in the South. All the former takes are decent soft granitic water for the crust, decent ingredients, and know-how; all the latter requires is a decent local bakery to produce the rolls and the ingredients and knowhow necessary to execute good pizza.
Hungrily (By Now), Ort. Carlton in Most Liveable Athens, Georgia.
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 634
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/04/04 04:28:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by drsmoke02

I think quiznos is fabulous,ranks right up there with mcdonalds, for taste and quality.

I laughed out loud for the first time in ages. Dont know how I missed this one.

shivashakti
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/04/04 08:27:27 (permalink)
Like a lot of other people are saying Quizno's is overpriced, and the quality isn't particularly good.

Their toaster always burns the bread which I don't like and it's just blah-tasting. Damn near all of their subs taste alike.

Subway? For fast food, it's healthy and used to be more affordable. That's about all you can say for it.

Y'know, if I want a real sub, I'll go to some Italian place and get one. There's an Italian deli across the street from me that makes fantastic subs.

No one's mentioned Blimpie's yet. Is it as good as the place across the street? Hell, no. But for a chain, the Blimpie's Best is not a bad sub. When I lived in Central Florida which has a pisspoor selection of great local places...if I wanted a sub, I'd go to Blimpie's.

They at least had the capicolla, prosciutto, sweet Italian peppers, and other Italian stuff I'm looking for in a sub. Now, Subway's expanded their vegetable selection a lot...they have sweet peppers and oregano and they have provolone. But they still lack the Italian meats.

But again, that's only in place of a local joint.

Screw Quizno's. Overpriced and bland.

Someone else mentioned Jersey Mike's which we have a few of here in CT as well. Not bad for a chain.

SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/04/04 16:23:36 (permalink)
We have Quiznos on every corner here in Huntsville, AL. I have been there only twice. First was OK. Second time I stood in line for 20 minutes to order the new "prime rib" sandwich only to be told that they were out of prime rib. I wish they had posted a sign letting me know this. I did't order anything else.
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/04/05 12:25:22 (permalink)
Quiznos opened with around 10 stores in our area about two years ago. Their sandwiches are overpriced even with the coupons they provide every Sunday in the paper. Their roll is absolutely horrid and the portions are small.

The novelty of Quiznos has worn off in our area. In the last 3 months, two in our town closed up for good. The word is out, they suck!
Cheezburger
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Does anyone like Quiznos? 2006/06/03 07:17:14 (permalink)
I started out lovin' Q'nos but hankering has waned. Can't really say why. My wife ran into a dirty one in the Cincy area that must have done it.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1